AspergerArtist

Like A Prayer [Dub Beats] feat. Prince vocal sample

Recommended Posts

Been a while since I listened to either of these tracks, but nearly fell of my chair when I just realised that one samples the other. You can actually hear Prince's voice on Like A Prayer [Dub Beats]. The exact sample is "That skinny motherfucker with the high voice".

 

Madonna - Like A Prayer [Dub Beats]

 

 

Bob George - Prince

 

 

So, still think Prince isn't the one playing guitar at the start of Supernatural?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I highly doubt that Prince had anything to do with Supernatural. Prince claimed all his work. If he had any involvement, it would have been known long ago. The samples in the Dub Beats (and other LAP mixes) has been known for a long time. Dub Beats is actually one of my favourite LAP mixes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prince had nothing to do with "Supernatural".  In fact, the song was initiated during the TRUE BLUE sessions. 

I almost had forgot about this mix of "Like A Prayer".  It will have to be noted this was never commercially released.  It was only a promotional release. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Liam said:

Prince had nothing to do with "Supernatural".  In fact, the song was initiated during the TRUE BLUE sessions. 

I almost had forgot about this mix of "Like A Prayer".  It will have to be noted this was never commercially released.  It was only a promotional release. 

I've never heard this.  It originated from the True Blue sessions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interviewer: You and Prince wrote "Love Song" together, which is a wonderful
song. Did you and he work together or did he give you a track?

Madonna: No, he didn't give me a track. We sat down and just started fooling
around. We had a lot of fun. What happened is that he played the drums and I
played the synthesizer and we came up with the original melody line; I just,
off the top of my head, started singing lyrics into the microphone. And then he
overdubbed some guitar stuff and made a loop of it and sent it to me, and then
I just started adding sections to it and singing parts to it. And then I sent
it back to him, and he'd sing a part to it and add another instrument and send
it back to me...it was like this sentence that turned into a paragraph that
turned into a little miniseries. So it was great. It was a completely different
way to work. And because of our schedules and everything, and he was in
Minnesota and he likes to work there and I like to work here. So we kind of
sent it back and forth. He's great. He's a real interesting...unique talent.

Interviewer: And it was an easy connection from the beginning for the two of
you?

Madonna: Yeah, it was. We started out being real admirers of each other's work.
And, you know, we're already successful so we didn't have to prove anything to
each other. We were on the same level. And I don't think he's had that same
opportunity with other people that he's worked with. Because generally he tends
to dominate everything.

Interviewer: "Act of Contrition," the closing track of Like a Prayer, has
backwards masking and other mysterious elements. Did he have anything to do
with that one as well? The credits only say, "Produced by the powers that be."

Madonna: Yeah, he did. He played guitar on it. He also played guitar on "Keep
it Together."

Interviewer: I noticed on "Act of Contrition" that you have the choir from
"Like a Prayer" reversed on that.

Madonna: Yeah, we turned the tape and played everything backwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:04 PM, AspergerArtist said:

Been a while since I listened to either of these tracks, but nearly fell of my chair when I just realised that one samples the other. You can actually hear Prince's voice on Like A Prayer [Dub Beats]. The exact sample is "That skinny motherfucker with the high voice".

 

Madonna - Like A Prayer [Dub Beats]

 

 

 

Bob George - Prince

 

 

 

So, still think Prince isn't the one playing guitar at the start of Supernatural?

He is definitely played guitar on Like A Prayer (Dub Beats) - Madonna and you can here Prince shouts as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:54 PM, PWCCA said:

I highly doubt that Prince had anything to do with Supernatural. Prince claimed all his work. If he had any involvement, it would have been known long ago. The samples in the Dub Beats (and other LAP mixes) has been known for a long time. Dub Beats is actually one of my favourite LAP mixes

Not actually. He didn't always credit himself on songs. 
And in some cases he used names like Jamie Starr, AlexanderNevermind, Joey Coco etc
Prince went un-credited on  keyboards for Stand Back with Stevie Knicks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BringUrLUV said:

I've never heard this.  It originated from the True Blue sessions?

Yes, both this song and Spotlight were from the True Blue sessions.  Though, it certainly doesn't mean a lot could have changed with "Supernatural" by the time it finally was released, including Prince being involved, but he wasn't.  It would have been known since Prince was a stickler when claiming rights to songs. Like Madonna, he had an astute business head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Liam said:

Yes, both this song and Spotlight were from the True Blue sessions.

1

Do you have a source for that info? The only thing I could find is Patrick Leonard talking to Billboard about an unreleased Like A Prayer song but he doesn't mention it being from True Blue sessions:

Were there songs recorded for the album that the two of you worked on that eventually were just shelved or haven't been released?

I think there was one, but I'm not sure what it was a remnant of. It might have been a remnant of "Who's That Girl" or of "I'm Breathless." There was ever only one song, and it got released as a b-side, and I don't remember what it was called, even. I don't think it was "Like a Prayer"-era. [Note: Leonard may be referring to the "Cherish" b-side, "Supernatural."] My recollection is that we just wrote the songs that were going on the record and that was it. I mean, those songs were written one a day -- that's it. A few hours and they were done.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/5944767/madonna-producer-patrick-leonard-talks-like-a-prayer-at-25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kesiak said:

Do you have a source for that info? The only thing I could find is Patrick Leonard talking to Billboard about an unreleased Like A Prayer song but he doesn't mention it being from True Blue sessions:

Were there songs recorded for the album that the two of you worked on that eventually were just shelved or haven't been released?

I think there was one, but I'm not sure what it was a remnant of. It might have been a remnant of "Who's That Girl" or of "I'm Breathless." There was ever only one song, and it got released as a b-side, and I don't remember what it was called, even. I don't think it was "Like a Prayer"-era. [Note: Leonard may be referring to the "Cherish" b-side, "Supernatural."] My recollection is that we just wrote the songs that were going on the record and that was it. I mean, those songs were written one a day -- that's it. A few hours and they were done.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/5944767/madonna-producer-patrick-leonard-talks-like-a-prayer-at-25

Obviously, Pat has forgotten about "Supernatural" (at least the name) even though that was written and produced by him.  I've noticed that he tends to mix up some of the facts about his songs when randomly chatting about them.  Who can blame him?  He's done so much!  Therefore, he probably has mixed up the timing of the original composition.  Also, I'm sure they did more to the song during the LIKE A PRAYER sessions, so to him it was completed during that session.  It's been a well known fact among fans back in the day "Supernatural" was originally composed during the TRUE BLUE era.  Though, it's possible it came about shortly after when he worked on WHO'S THAT GIRL since it was combined era.  The song (a remix version) was also included on the "Red Hot and Dance" album in 1992, so that's probably why it further sticks out during "I'm Breathless".  It's possible sometime during that time or shortly after, he was approached about the inclusion of that song on the AIDS benefit album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.