A different question for Madonna experts

Vision Quest was released in 1985, but it was shot in fall 1983.

Madonna had barely released her debut when filming took place. Does this mean that Crazy for You and Gambler were written before the bulk of Like a Virgin? I always considered them post LAV songs, but they're actually pre-LAV songs, right?

Yes they were recorded in the early part of 1984 i believe but it could have possibly been the same time she was working on the LAV sessions as we all know the album(LAV) was held up and meant to be released in the summer of 1984 but was held up because holiday and lucky star were still doing well from the first album.

The film was shot in the fall of '83.  As you can tell in the movie, the songs were rough cuts of the final versions released as singles in '85.  According to the writers of the song, "Borderline" was out at the time when they wondered if Madonna would be good fit for the song, "Crazy For You".   "Gambler" was recorded somewhat after "Crazy For You".  Both songs were definitely record around LAV since by the summer of '84, Madonna said herself in a few interviews, a new album called "Like a Virgin" is ready to be released.  However, since "Borderline", "Lucky Star" and "Holiday" were gaining more steam on the charts, the album wasn't released until later in '84. 

Note: while Madonna premiered the song on MTV's first Music Awards, MTV originally wanted her to perform her song "Lucky Star" which was burning up the charts at the time.

10 minutes ago, Liam said:

The film was shot in the fall of '83.  As you can tell in the movie, the songs were rough cuts of the final versions released as singles in '85.  According to the writers of the song, "Borderline" was out at the time when they wondered if Madonna would be good fit for the song, "Crazy For You".   "Gambler" was recorded somewhat after "Crazy For You".  Both songs were definitely record around LAV since by the summer of '84, Madonna said herself in a few interviews, a new album called "Like a Virgin" is ready to be released.  However, since "Borderline", "Lucky Star" and "Holiday" were gaining more steam on the charts, the album wasn't released until later in '84. 

Note: while Madonna premiered the song on MTV's first Music Awards, MTV originally wanted her to perform her song "Lucky Star" which was burning up the charts at the time.

Thank goodness she went with LAV. :Madonna010:

5 minutes ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

Thank goodness she went with LAV. :Madonna010:

I agree.  She even had to fight Nile Rogers over releasing "Like A Virgin" as the first single. I think he was wanting "Material Girl".  Madonna definitely knew that LAV would get people talking.  "Material Girl" afterwards was to lighten the mood and let her show some appreciation to old Hollywood. even though some still said she copied Marilyn Monroe and wanted to be her, etc.  LOL!  That could be further from the truth.  And over the years, she's proven to be much stronger than her.

It is very simple distinguish from hommage and plagiarism.

Hommage is do not afraid to tell to people what is inspiration.

When Madonna hommage Marilyn Monroe look from flim gentlemen prefer blond. She clearly said that her Material Girl Music video look inspired from that movie and Marilyn Monroe look at a lot of interviews. That's the hommage.

But copycat always afraid to tell what is real inspiration to people. For example People all knew that that copy cat song which very reductive:silly: copied Madonna's song and it copy Madonna's looks but it tell to the people it inspired from Whitney houston. LOL:lol: That's the we can call copycat and copied. 

12 hours ago, Liam said:

Yeah MTV wanted Lucky Star but M wanted to sing a new song, "Like a Virgin," to a full-grown, white Bengal tiger. The big cat was nixed. Instead, she decided to emerge from a 17-foot tall wedding cake and sing the song in a white wedding dress, a bustier and a BOY TOY belt buckle -- a classic Madonna mixed message. But as she descended, one of her white stilettos slipped off. "So I thought, 'Well, I'll just pretend I meant to do this,' and I dove on the floor and I rolled around," she later said. "And, as I reached for the shoe, the dress went up. And the underpants were showing." 

MTV viewers were treated to a full display of what Madonna was wearing under the dress and she stole the show." The rest is history!

11 hours ago, brazilfan said:

It is very simple distinguish from hommage and plagiarism.

Hommage is do not afraid to tell to people what is inspiration.

When Madonna hommage Marilyn Monroe look from flim gentlemen prefer blond. She clearly said that her Material Girl Music video look inspired from that movie and Marilyn Monroe look at a lot of interviews. That's the hommage.

But copycat always afraid to tell what is real inspiration to people. For example People all knew that that copy cat song which very reductive:silly: copied Madonna's song and it copy Madonna's looks but it tell to the people it inspired from Whitney houston. LOL:lol: That's the we can call copycat and copied. 

Yea but she mentioned in that sad documentary of hers that she was unhappy Madonna reacted the way she did because she was clearly paying homage.

I think Madonna was over the top with the "reductive" mark. Completely unnecessary moment in her career. She just looked like she was scared for her "throne". Fell a bit in my eyes really, when i saw her say that. I actually think that was the moment she stopped being cool

Um, how did a positive topic about Madonna's Vision Quest/Like a Virgin songs turn into a thread, bashing another artist for copying Madonna.? Can we please stay on topic?  Let's not turn this into something negative.  Thank you very much!! 

@Fighter

Interesting.

If Crazy For You and Gambler were on LAV album instead of some weak songs, the album could have been better.

The same goes for True Blue and WTG songs. True Blue would have been a perfect pure pop album.

She should have done more ballads in the beginning of the 80s. She focused too much on dance songs, while ballads seemed only like projects for movies (CFY, LTT, TLOL). LDLHA is an exception.

It's pretty safe to say, it all worked out for her in the end.  I mean; her first album went on to sell 10 million copies.  The next two ended up selling over 20 million each.  And why re-write history?  The first album is "classic".   I wouldn't change a minute of it.  It's perfect as is. 

I am really in love with Gambler, I remember the efforts I did in the Eighties to find the recording!

I would have loved if M performerd it as a guitar rock song in the RHT setlist, maybe instead of Burning Up.

It's pretty evident that the movie features the first demo recordings made in 1983, they are rough versions. According to wikipedia, the song was recorded when Borderline was out and nobody believed that Madonna could sing some adult material, a love ballad. Then the production was changed and by the time the soundtrack was out, the arrangement had changed. When the singles were released, M had become a great star and also Gambler wasn't released in the US because it could block the other LAV singles.

I'd really love these two tracks to be included in LAV, and maybe also Warning Signs!  :Madonna032::Madonna037:

But please don't touch True Blue and the First Album!

Not to mention Into The Groove would've been the perfect icing on LAV to add with Gambler and Crazy For You if they were all on the album. Yes, LAV would have been MORE of a sonic non-cohesive perfection if all those bops would've been in one proper album lol. It just would satisfy my mild clinical OCD.

26 minutes ago, cailohfornia said:

Not to mention Into The Groove would've been the perfect icing on LAV to add with Gambler and Crazy For You if they were all on the album. Yes, LAV would have been MORE of a sonic non-cohesive perfection if all those bops would've been in one proper album lol. It just would satisfy my mild clinical OCD.

Well, to be fair, "Into The Groove" was added to the re-issues editions of LAV (except in North America). LAV was already completed and ready to go before the song was recorded.  So as much as I wish it did appear on some album at the time, I'm glad it didn't since that wasn't the original vision of the album.  The same goes for CFY and Gambler.

The only thing I wish North America did was release "Into the Groove" as an official single.  It definitely would have been another #1 for her.  Her record company was too afraid she was over saturating the market,  but the song ended up being a huge radio hit anyway, so they should have just taken that chance. And why couldn't they just add to a re-issue in the U.S. as well?

Guest TheLookofLove
19 hours ago, Liam said:

even though some still said she copied Marilyn Monroe and wanted to be her, etc.  LOL!  That could be further from the truth.  And over the years, she's proven to be much stronger than her.

You hit the nail on the head.

Ever since Madonna was a child she had something that Marilyn sadly never had, which is resilience. If you don't have tough skin, you will most definitely NOT survive for long in Hollywood.

3 hours ago, Liam said:

It's pretty safe to say, it all worked out for her in the end.  I mean; her first album went on to sell 10 million copies.  The next two ended up selling over 20 million each.  And why re-write history?  The first album is "classic".   I wouldn't change a minute of it.  It's perfect as is. 

Well said ! :)) xx

20 minutes ago, GetNasty said:

You hit the nail on the head.

Ever since Madonna was a child she had something that Marilyn sadly never had, which is resilience. If you don't have tough skin, you will most definitely NOT survive for long in Hollywood.

Marilyn became an icon from having a rougher childhood than Madonna, so I don't see how she wasn't resilient.

And Madonna had every right to say it felt reductive. G*** didn't have to call the comparisons r*tarded if she was paying "homage" or invent a story about fake emails. 

Sorry for contributing to the Off Topic. :luv:

10 hours ago, Liam said:

The only thing I wish North America did was release "Into the Groove" as an official single.  It definitely would have been another #1 for her.  Her record company was too afraid she was over saturating the market,  but the song ended up being a huge radio hit anyway, so they should have just taken that chance. And why couldn't they just add to a re-issue in the U.S. as well?

Into the groove not being released as a single in the US :Madonna032:

If the Forum existed in the Eighties we would have a thread full of complaints against her management and Warner. :lol:

"Nothing takes the past away like the future"... maybe :lol:

1 minute ago, Enrico said:

Into the groove not being released as a single in the US :Madonna032:

If the Forum existed in the Eighties we would have a thread full of complaints against her management and Warner. :lol:

"Nothing takes the past away like the future"... maybe :lol:

Yeah, it was a similar deal as "Beautiful Stranger" in the U.S.  Both songs charted well based on airplay alone.  The only way to get "Into The Groove" was to buy the 12 Inch of "Angel".  The latter didn't get a video while "Into The Groove" got a montage video from Desperately Seeking Susan.  Her record company was worried of over saturating the market since she had five singles and videos regularly rotating on popular music channels.  Nevertheless, "Into The Groove" still became a smash hit on radio based on just airplays. 

"Beautiful Stranger" had a similar deal with the exception you could find it on the Soundtrack of the movie it was in.  It became a top 20 smash nevertheless, but I suspect it would have been a top 5 hit if there was a single available for it.

Guest TheLookofLove
16 hours ago, Fighter said:

Marilyn became an icon from having a rougher childhood than Madonna, so I don't see how she wasn't resilient.

And Madonna had every right to say it felt reductive. G*** didn't have to call the comparisons r*tarded if she was paying "homage" or invent a story about fake emails. 

Sorry for contributing to the Off Topic. :luv:

I didn’t say anything about G***. I’m genuinely puzzled as to why you even brought that up although I agree with you that Madonna had every right to call out that narcissistic idiot.

7 hours ago, GetNasty said:

I didn’t say anything about G***. I’m genuinely puzzled as to why you even brought that up although I agree with you that Madonna had every right to call out that narcissistic idiot.

He really didn't bring it up first in this thread, but I don't get why she was even brought up in this thread either? It has nothing to do with what was being discussed.

And I don't know why people have to tip toe around the Madonna forums. censoring out her name like it's a bad word?  I'm not a  big Gaga fan, but a lot of the animosity going on is a huge misunderstanding along with her being quite sensitive to being compared to Madonna at times. She should just be honored to be even compared to Madonna.  But of course, both fan bases just need to keep on hating and fueling the fire.  I don't really get this whole hating on other female artists?  It's just so juvenile.

2 hours ago, Liam said:

He really didn't bring it up first in this thread, but I don't get why she was even brought up in this thread either? It has nothing to do with what was being discussed.

And I don't know why people have to tip toe around the Madonna forums. censoring out her name like it's a bad word?  I'm not a  big Gaga fan, but a lot of the animosity going on is a huge misunderstanding along with her being quite sensitive to being compared to Madonna at times. She should just be honored to be even compared to Madonna.  But of course, both fan bases just need to keep on hating and fueling the fire.  I don't really get this whole hating on other female artists?  It's just so juvenile.

There's nothing juvenile about disliking people that you perceive to have bad personality traits and someone you think has done very morally questionable stuff and chose to hang around morally questionable people. I don't really care if she at one time was Madonna's pop rival or whatever other dumb little fan war. I agree that THAT'S juvenile, as is calling Gaga reductive since that's not what Madonna said either.

We'll be better off moving on and honestly I don't have any problem with Gaga stans nor do I want to. :kiss:

2 hours ago, Fighter said:

There's nothing juvenile about disliking people that you perceive to have bad personality traits and someone you think has done very morally questionable stuff and chose to hang around morally questionable people. I don't really care if she at one time was Madonna's pop rival or whatever other dumb little fan war. I agree that THAT'S juvenile, as is calling Gaga reductive since that's not what Madonna said either.

We'll be better off moving on and honestly I don't have any problem with Gaga stans nor do I want to. :kiss:

The point still stands, it had no relevancy in this thread.