Madonna Infinity
Sign in to follow this  
Kieran

Extreme Occident Vs Easy Ride

Extreme Occident Vs Easy Ride  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which song is more fulfilling? (Which is 'better'!?)

It was striking, when the Extreme Occident teaser dropped during the album pre-release how it appeared in some ways to be an 'update' to Easy Ride. Both songs deal in many ways with the similar themes. Which of these two tracks do you think 'does it better'? Its fantastic that we have both, but just for fun - which do you 'prefer'? Which means the most to you personally? Is one more successful than the other?

A few lyric similarities that I've noted from the lyrics:

ER opens with the words "I want...", whereas EO opens with "I went..." establishing both songs as a deep personal, intimate perspective or experience.

ER: "What I want is to work for it"

EO: "I've tried to recover"

- Both songs reflect that idea that struggle is important in finding one's 'place' in life

ER: "What I want is to find my place"

EO: "I guess I'm lost"

- Both songs deal with feeling lost and being unsure of oneself.

ER: "I go round and round just like a circle"

EO: "Life is a circle, life is a circle..."

- Both songs refer to the circle of life and the paradox of life that M refers to many times in interviews.

ER: "I can see a clearer picture"

EO: "A mix of lucidity, and craziness"

- Both songs refer to the literal representation of the struggles and the conflict between feeling lost and searching for answers. Clarity vs craziness.

ER: "To my place and I am home"
EO: "But I wasn't lost, you believed me"

- Both songs offer hope. A light at the end of the tunnel.

ER: "What I want is to live forever not defined by time and space"

EO:  "I was right and I've got the right to choose my own life"

- Both songs reveal a defiant tone in the face of the craziness and loneliness of life.

EO and its resemblance to ER offers one of MX's strongest links to American Life. I adore EO's take on these themes. I find both songs very fulfilling and I'm very much looking forward to EO on tour (fingers crossed). I think the lyrics in ER offer a deeper, more thorough examination of the vulnerabilities and cycles of life. I love how vulnerable M is in both songs. However , I do prefer the production and layers in EO (but the lyrics of ER win it for me!)

Enrico, danMfan, Rory and 3 others like this

This should be a mashup. EO is almost like a part 2 of ER. It would have been cleaver if in the place of repeating "Life is a circle, life is a circle...," if EO would have taken the "I go round and round just like a circle" lyrics. I feel in EO that part where she repeats "life is a circle" is missing lyrics or a hook. But you are right EO--the production and layers are rich in contrast to ER but the lyrics to ER win me over.

Great post!

DrewB83 likes this

ER is more coherent, EO is a great song but doesn't really make sense...

I guess I'm lost
I had to pay the cost
The thing that hurt me most
Was that I wasn't lost

Is she lost or not?  :Madonna021:

She should've said "I thought I was lost". But she is using the present tense!

And you can't rhyme "I was right" with "I've got the right".

Madame X has problems with repetitive and contradictory lyrics... is it maybe the typewriter?

Ambrose and rob666 like this

Extreme Occident is (presently) my favourite song on Madame X and I do see it as a continuation of Easy Ride.  Easy Ride was, for a time, my favourite song on AL and was gutted it didn’t feature in the ReInvention Tour. 

To some extent EO seems to relate to the drive or motivation behind ER. Both are beautiful compositions. 

Kieran and danMfan like this

interesting, when I first heard Extreme Occident I asked myself - from where do I know this song.....and then I came it reminds me of Easy Ride.....but I like Extreme Occident better, it's more organic, I think.

1 hour ago, Enrico said:

:lol: Sometimes I think that she does just use her 'paradox' explanation to cover up sloppy lyrics.

2 hours ago, Rory said:

This should be a mashup. EO is almost like a part 2 of ER. It would have been cleaver if in the place of repeating "Life is a circle, life is a circle...," if EO would have taken the "I go round and round just like a circle" lyrics. 

As M did actually do ER in TOAC, this might happen! Hopefully this will occur to her! And this lyric idea for EO would have been great!y didn't she think of this? A much more meaningful reference than Don't Tell Me in Future. 

1 hour ago, DrewB83 said:

Easy Ride was, for a time, my favourite song on AL and was gutted it didn’t feature in the ReInvention Tour. 

I've thought this lots over the years. Where would you have placed ER in the setlist? Replacing Crazy for You would have worked... same staging, but worth sacrificing such a fan favorite?

1 hour ago, Enrico said:

I guess I'm lost
I had to pay the cost
Was that I wasn't lost

Madame X has problems with repetitive and contradictory lyrics... is it maybe the typewriter?

The lyrics are great and convey the confusion. 

DrewB83 likes this

Easy Ride.... by far. EO is one to the messiest and weakest tracks on the album... and Easy Ride is a beautiful masterpiece.

Jascka likes this

57 minutes ago, PWCCA said:

Easy Ride.... by far. EO is one to the messiest and weakest tracks on the album... and Easy Ride is a beautiful masterpiece.

I agree - killers , bitch I’m loca being the other 2 weak songs - I can’t stop listening to Ciao Bella at the moment 😍 love the feel of that track 😘

1 hour ago, Kieran said:

I've thought this lots over the years. Where would you have placed ER in the setlist? Replacing Crazy for You would have worked... same staging, but worth sacrificing such a fan favorite?

Crazy For You was a nice addition; and I did enjoy it. I think Easy Ride could have replaced either Lament (although that worked well in terms of the show), or be sung after Imagine. Don’t Tell Me was a rather disappointing, if not repetitive, inclusion on that tour and could have been dropped.

Easy Ride would be a nice inclusion on the Madame X set list; although I doubt it, sadly.

Kieran likes this

10 hours ago, Enrico said:

I guess I'm lost
I had to pay the cost
Was that I wasn't lost

I think it might be a lyric that refers to age. In retrospect or when being nostalgic, things seems different or clearer when in contrast or at the time--confidence or drive might have blurred the present. However things, moments or opportunities might seem different or lost with age. That's how I read it.

Kieran likes this

20 hours ago, Enrico said:

I guess I'm lost
I had to pay the cost
Was that I wasn't lost

I think "I guess I'm lost" is how you feel when you are among people who are not open to the person you are which is why she says "I guess." She's looking at things from thier point of view. 

When you look back on it you realize that those people simply did not value the person you were and that's hurtful but you realize you were never lost, you were just yourself living in a world with certain expectations that you could not fulfill. It also hurts that you allowed their perception that you were lost to guide your life. I think she is not only speaking to others but to herself. 

Extreme Occident early on has been like X-Static Process for me. 

I need to explore it more for the Easy Ride connection. 

21 hours ago, Enrico said:

I guess I'm lost
I had to pay the cost
Was that I wasn't lost

... that's why they're good lyrics, she's confused, doesn't even know she's fully lost.

I believe American Life is the Old Testament and Madame X is the New Testament for her tbh

DrewB83 likes this

6 hours ago, LikeAMelody said:

Extreme Occident early on has been like X-Static Process for me. 

Really? Because I related X-Static Process to Crazy from the get go. "Jesus Christ would you look at me?" => "my God look at me now," it seemed to be a continuation of that where in X-Static Process she's in love with this person still, and now she's finally left them.

6 hours ago, MrCommotion said:

Really? Because I related X-Static Process to Crazy from the get go. "Jesus Christ would you look at me?" => "my God look at me now," it seemed to be a continuation of that where in X-Static Process she's in love with this person still, and now she's finally left them.

I never saw X-Static Process as about a singular relationship but more like one's  relationship with people who's approval is sought to validate thier self worth.  

The song definitely describes what you are saying but I personally do not direct it at one person.  I can see what you are saying in the similarity in "Crazy" with how you described X-Static Process, definitely. 

The two songs are each other’s twin sisters.

Play Extreme Occident instead of Easy Ride at the end of American Life, and it actually fits.

Sign in to follow this