Madonna Tours rumors/outtakes/plans etc.

rebelheartgermany

There does seem to be something amiss in the Rebel Heart setlist. Bitch I'm Madonna is an obvious choice for a closer. Holiday has been a closing song too much and this rendition was very lack luster. (It did have more energy on the Showtime Film) But also the outfits for Bitch I'm Madonna didn't seem to go. it just seemed like a transition performance. 

Rebel Heart Tour would have Hold Tight in the first section, Like A Prayer or Ray of Light instead of Burning Up and Justify My Love / Whole Lotta Love Medley on the guitar. Bitch I'm Madonna was originally the last performance of the show

There does seem to be something amiss in the Rebel Heart setlist. Bitch I'm Madonna is an obvious choice for a closer. Holiday has been a closing song too much and this rendition was very lack luster. (It did have more energy on the Showtime Film) But also the outfits for Bitch I'm Madonna didn't seem to go. it just seemed like a transition performance. 

Not to mention the pulled S.E.X. video interlude.  :thinker:

I agree it's a song she's done over and over throughout the years and I confess I wasn't very fond of it especially by watching the Youtube videos... but seeing it live changed my mind completely. I actually had a lot of fun! She sang live the entire song and seemed like she was enjoying it too. The bassline is something I'll never forget :cute: 

In comparison, Give it 2 Me and Celebration had greater energy and special effects but were too choreographed in my opinion, she looked like "let's get this done already". Same thing for her vocals which were 80% lipsynced. Holiday must have been chosen because she knows a classic tune will always end her shows on point. Fans love them, the casual listeners love them, and the general public love them...

Personally, I can't think of many options that are possible to end a show. Hung Up and Music are definitely the last singles she was able to sell to the masses. 

agreed and more - feels like A WHOLE LOT was a miss from some of the weird costumes (specifically, opening and holiday), the bad renditions, the bad selection of music from Rebel Heart.  The classic choices were generally good this time BUT the renditions didnt work for me for many of them (ie: whos that girl, true blue)

Guest ArthurBadin

Drowned World Tour would have I Want You instead of Lo Que Siente la Mujer (according to her choreographer) and Amazing instead of either Beautiful Stranger or The Funny Song, Swim instead of Frozen and Nothing Really Matters (parts of the choreo were later used for Nobody Knows Me)

That was for Rit instead.

That was the setlist planned for day February 19, 2004, right in the beginning of rehearsals process, according to Mike McKnight, a technician involved in Rit process, in an interview he did for DrownedMadonna (some can confirm this):

1. Vogue 

2. Swim 

3. Nobody Knows Me 

4. Express Yourself 

5. American Life (Headcleaner Mix) 

6. Burning Up 

7. Love Profusion (Headcleaner Mix) 

8. I’m So Stupid 

9. Hollywood (VMAs Mix) 

10. The Devil Wouldn’t Recognise You (new song)

11. Hanky-Panky 

12. Dress You Up (in E flat) 

13. Take A Bow 

14. Bedtime Stories (video) 

15. Like A Prayer 

16. Don’t Tell Me (promo tour version) 

17. Mother And Father (promo tour version) 

18. Live To Tell 

19. Into The Groove (GAP version) or Holiday

20. Music 

21. Crazy For You (one step below) 

22. Die Another Day

Don't know where to find it directly on DM, but you can read this on Brazilian fansite MOL ( http://madonnaonline.com.br/2005/02/19/novas-revelacoes-pelo-mago-da-re-invention-tour/ ). It's in Portuguese but you can translate it easily.

About TDWRY, you can read on this the original version was a 20's torch ballad song, written by Madonna and Mirwais, but some sources pointed Joe Henry was involved in the early stages of song (just like with Jump, Don't Tell Me and Falling Free).

Live to Tell was one of the first songs to be scrapped during the process (nothing to do with Sean Penn, according to McKnight; M just found it a little "weak" to be part of the tour. #SureJan Anyway, it was 10.000x better fitting into Confessions Tour.

Hello Suckers! was conceived back in around 2003 after American Life's release. Most of the songs for it were recorded during this time. She abandoned the project in early 2004 to create Re-Invention Tour. She ultimately scrapped the musical project right during COADF process (around final of 3rd trimester of 2005), along with the parallel musical she was screenwriting for being directed to Luc Besson, and some material from those musicals was reworked to her next albums, especially COADF and HC.

Nothing Really Matters was a rumour pointed by same Brazilian fansite MOL after they talked to a guy which worked at that time on Rit during European leg of tour. They discussed NRM would close the 1st section in a similar way to NKM (which would be performed right before NRM), but, according to this source, it was Jamie King's idea to scrap NRM so Madonna decided to close the 1st section with Frozen. They also pointed at that time Love Profusion was considered to be performed instead of Crazy for You. Also that Take a Bow was considered to be performed in form of a snippet during Mother and Father, but Madonna thought Intervention would fit better for this since it would give a better interpretation of what she thought about her family.

Hope I have helped in something. See you!

Guest ArthurBadin

Confessions Tour would have Everybody instead of La Isla Bonita

MDNA Tour would have Falling Free as an Interlude instead of Justify My Love, Some Girls instead of Vogue and Physical Attraction as a performance

There was a rumour Deeper and Deeper was to be included on CT but scrapped in favour of Erotica. There was a "concept demo" of D&D very similar to actual Erotica's rendition (there was a sample of You Thrill Me demo on it too, but shorter), that leaked in the beginning of this current decade, but nothing was proved if that demo was indeed legit.

About Falling Free on MDNA Tour: it was not performed during the rehearsals as an interlude, but as a live performance by Madonna, first to close the 2nd section (was scrapped in favour of Masterpiece, at that time a non-official hit in some countries like Russia) and then to close the 3rd section (it would be inserted in the place of Like a Virgin, which Madonna thought it wouldn't fit the tour theme after all).

There is a recorded performance of FF during rehearsals that was supposed to leak by a certain Madonna collector (won't name him but you can find this info easily around the net), in which would be confirmed the MadonnaRama assumptions of a much more proeminent feature of Jason Yang's violin - and a dancer's performance very similar to Messiah's rendition on RHT which was partially shown in the MDNA Workshop featured as an extra in MDNA World Tour DVD/BD.

Hope to be useful again. See you!

P.S.: I have seen regarding the original Like a Prayer World Tour to have been happening back in 1989 that the shower performance was indeed for Like a Virgin, not La Isla Bonita, to fit the "shiny and new" line on the song.

Guest ArthurBadin

Sticky & Sweet Tour would have Impressive Instand / Burning Up Medley as an Interlude OR as a performance instead of Like A Prayer. Also Open Your Heart was rehearsed for the Gypsy section

That was allegedly during 2009 leg of the tour, to replace You Must Love Me. A ballad demo, newly recorded by Madonna and the gypsy band she had during the tour, especially for it, leaked some time after the tour finally stopped.

P.S.: During the rehearsals of this leg, there was a section on official Madonna's page, Madonna.com, named "Sidewalk Talk" (????? After all it has her name on the credits and also her backing vocals on the official released song, isn't it?), which consisted of rumours (does anyone remember of it?), and there had one of them regarding the inclusion of Who's That Girl on the actual setlist. That was way before MadonnaTribe talked about the actual changes for 2009 setlist (Tribe previously had the tea for 2008 leg and so for 2009 one), so many people, including Perez Hilton, took this rumour as legit, but Madonna herself denied it - in an interview given exactly for Perez.

See you!

Some girls was never rehearsed or considered for the tour...there isn't any demo also

Physical attraction was a little sample at the end of Vogue (weird idea...in the early stage)

At the early stage of MDNA Tour there were also a mash-up between I'm Addicted & Impressive Instant, Ray of Light was considered again as a guitar performance, Music 2012 was part of the setlist & Girl Gone Wild was the last song

Yes, BAT was originally called the Like A Prayer Word Tour.

I'm sure most people here have seen it, but for those who haven't here are some promotional posters and Pepsi cans (Pepsi were due to sponsor the tour before the controversy of the LAP video, but we all knew that ðŸ˜).

pepsi_cans_news.jpg

e2287c850de612064b1372a84479a011.jpg

German-Pepsi-sign.jpg

And wasn't there a rumour that the Re-Invention Tour was going to be called The Whore Of Babylon World Tour....? I seem to remember hearing that at the time.

Sent from my Y635-L01 using Tapatalk

Guest ArthurBadin

And wasn't there a rumour that the Re-Invention Tour was going to be called The Whore Of Babylon World Tour....? I seem to remember hearing that at the time.

Rit had a lot of early names. TWOBWT was the first name to leak back when a 2004 tour was rumoured by the beginning of that year.

During European leg another planned names emerged, such as Ground Zero and Nobody Knows Me.

Re-Invention was according to the same sources who leaked the early names a suggestion of Guy Ritchie.

Guest ArthurBadin

I still can't believe Nothing Really Matters has never made a tour.

@ And The Power of Good-Bye... And To Have and Not to Hold... And Skin... And Swim! And Shanti/Ashangti! Poor ROL album... So many gems relegated to have been performed only once or twice in a lifetime or even never...

Rit had a lot of early names. TWOBWT was the first name to leak back when a 2004 tour was rumoured by the beginning of that year.

During European leg another planned names emerged, such as Ground Zero and Nobody Knows Me.

Re-Invention was according to the same sources who leaked the early names a suggestion of Guy Ritchie.

I bet that RIT is the same situation as BAT, in that a recent criticism/backlash prompted a change in the planned tour name (to distance herself and the tour from that backlash), and also a revision of the setlist to no longer make it look like the tour was created just to promote the album/song gaining the criticism?

If American Life (song and album) was better received, i think the tour would have been the American Life Tour, American Dream Tour or something like that maybe? And more American Life songs would have survived the axe.

This is such a fascinating thread to read. So many things that could've been that never were. I think Madonna should do an international tour of Tears Of A Clown and differentiate the setlist every night so that she'd be able to perform songs she's never performed live before or songs that only got the live treatment a handful of times. 

About Falling Free on MDNA Tour: it was not performed during the rehearsals as an interlude, but as a live performance by Madonna, first to close the 2nd section (was scrapped in favour of Masterpiece, at that time a non-official hit in some countries like Russia) and then to close the 3rd section (it would be inserted in the place of Like a Virgin, which Madonna thought it wouldn't fit the tour theme after all).

There is a recorded performance of FF during rehearsals that was supposed to leak by a certain Madonna collector (won't name him but you can find this info easily around the net), in which would be confirmed the MadonnaRama assumptions of a much more proeminent feature of Jason Yang's violin - and a dancer's performance very similar to Messiah's rendition on RHT which was partially shown in the MDNA Workshop featured as an extra in MDNA World Tour DVD/BD.

This seems to go over peoples heads regarding the FF performance. Thank you for reminding everyone.

Guest ArthurBadin

I bet that RIT is the same situation as BAT, in that a recent criticism/backlash prompted a change in the planned tour name (to distance herself and the tour from that backlash), and also a revision of the setlist to no longer make it look like the tour was created just to promote the album/song gaining the criticism?

If American Life (song and album) was better received, i think the tour would have been the American Life Tour, American Dream Tour or something like that maybe? And more American Life songs would have survived the axe.

@@Stevo Although after 13 years several gems from AL were indeed performed by M at her TOAC concerts, proving AL has survived the test of time and has become a cult and beloved album among Madonna fans and even to some indie music fans.

Curiosity: in an interview made by Tribe by occasion of an anniversary of Truth or Dare (don't remember which one), the musical director of BAT told, among many things, that the setlist for the tour was the same since the early rehearsals, cause he and M had a complete idea about what the tour should present to audience. In fact, I truly believe the name of the tour is a reference to her new state of mind (at the time, of course) emerged when she filmed Dick Tracy, funnier and more relaxed than the one she had during LAP recording sessions, when she was all brunette. Because of this it has no wonder why she did question of inserting a full Breathless Mahoney section on the tour. And of course she would keep all controversy she gained during Like a Prayer music video release by creating the church section as we see. I guess she was way more confident about herself with BAT than she would feel if she had embarked on tour in 1989 with LAPWT. After all the end of Pepsi sponsorship was more than great to her, us as her fans and the world as a whole.