The Long, Troubled History of The MDNA Tour DVD

Future Lover

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did this info come from? I didnt know most of it.

Honestly I think the film is pretty poor. Even if they had different stuff they had to blend together if these reasons are true, It's not just that they used footage from different shows but that a big deal of the footage is poor, even the Olympia footage was poorly shot.

Ideally I would've liked the show to be filmed on a stadium show possibly in Brazil. Maybe one day the full Stade de France will leak. 

Where did this info come from? I didnt know most of it.

Honestly I think the film is pretty poor. Even if they had different stuff they had to blend together if these reasons are true, It's not just that they used footage from different shows but that a big deal of the footage is poor, even the Olympia footage was poorly shot.

Ideally I would've liked the show to be filmed on a stadium show possibly in Brazil. Maybe one day the full Stade de France will leak. 

I got the information of the desire to film in Columbia via some fans in attendance to various shows and their talks with Guy. The Paris shoot, as I'm sure you know, it fairly well known except for the reason why it was axed, so that I included was just a popular rumor. I don't quite remember the name of the director M really wanted to work with, but he said somewhere the reasoning behind moving to Miami. And the rest, as they say, is history :) I have actually been working on this post for about a week and a half. I studied up a lot of information about the film and the process of making it. I wanted to present as many facts that were reliable as possible. If I discover something in there isn't accurate, then I will amend it. :) The things we do for M haha

Great Timeline!! Also I'd like to add that in the Buenos Aires shows there were cranes set up for the general wide shots and some audience shots as well. So probably by December when she got here they had already checked the footage and decided some things were missing.

Nice info! I'm adding that to the original post!

• 2 weeks later...

I swear I remember the reason she was late in Miami was techinical. There was a glitch, either to do with filming or something else, and she had to wait until it was fixed. Can someone remember this?

I believe this was the reason that was given if I remember correctly. If not, then I don't guess that they ever gave reasoning behind it. I think, as we learned on the RHT, the less she comments on her lateness, the less trouble she gets into haha

Guest ArthurBadin

I do believe the main problem with MDNA World Tour (despite of me believing it was a very bad register for the worst tour ever of hers, but anyway this is a question of personal taste) is the authoration. Very amateur-ish problems during it made the DVD being unwatchable.

Especially when trying to see it through a PC: after the warning ads, right when the meny starts, it tilts and shackles the PC, forcing anyone to reset the computer. However I believe it's a local problem: Brazil has faced various problems with this DVD, with consumers demanding exchanges of copies all the time. Astonishingly Universal Music Brasil has never cared to solve the problem, since every single new priting keeps the authoration problem.

Besides, I had seen a fanmade full edition of MDNA Tour on YouTube uploaded days before the EpixHD premiere and then removed in a question of days. That fanmade edition was miles and miles better than the official register (in spite of not having the Celebration remix mixed with Give It 2 Me but the original one, but it was a very minor mistake), just for the edition and the choice of speeches (such as the one in-between Sagarra Jo and Masterpiece, while the Miami one we can see on the official DVD was awful as f., the one in that fanmade edition was, although shorter, excellent, very fitting to those times we face and even kind of more professional; she talked during the plurality of people who worked for her at the time, like Christians, Jews, Muslims; black and white people; gay, straight, bi, transgender people; etc., and all of them were equally important for her and for the world and all of them, including her, felt themselves as a one: such a very positive thing in those days when everyone feels threatened and intolerant with the plurality of people around (instead of that horrendous "I-am-blessed-for-having-a-job" speech from the official DVD).

So I don't feel blessed for having THIS specificly official register. M's team could do so much better with the editing and the authoration. A couple of months ago I decided to finally see the full concert in Rio de Janeiro (the one I hadn't attended due to the anger I had for the tour) and finally I see the grace in the concert, as if suddenly I started liking (not loving however) it. It made me feel the need for watching the official DVD I bought twice (the first I broke in pieces when I saw I couldn't watch it through my PC), but, I couldn't watch the second one I bought on my PC either due to the shackle, so...

Sorry for this opening of my heart and for those who believed it was kind of a trollage, but I really wished M's team did a better work on the DVD, even they wouldn't be able to do a great job with the tour as itself. If they follow the pattern of that full concert once uploaded on YouTube and then removed, sure most people would see the tour with better eyes comparing to the actual time it happened (including me). It was kind of a full awful package: the tour was problematic, and the official register only worsened it, instead of making it an excellent thing to be reminded of. For sure that MDNA World Tour problem has inspired RHT DVD trajectory so far.

See you!

Guest ArthurBadin

And adding to my statement: even if M's team had chosen M's speech at l'Olympia, it would be miles better than that Miami one. Even because her speech in Paris is current as no other thing in this world and it deserved to be rememebered everytime we face days like these.

Especially when trying to see it through a PC: after the warning ads, right when the meny starts, it tilts and shackles the PC, forcing anyone to reset the computer.

Never happened to me. This is the first time that I read something like this.

However, being the MDNA Tour DVD, anything is possible.

Guest ArthurBadin

Never happened to me. This is the first time that I read something like this.

However, being the MDNA Tour DVD, anything is possible.

I guess Brazilian copies of the DVD were the most problematic. I know friends of mine who had to went many times to the stores they bought it to exchange the copies they had for another ones from newer printings. I know the first three here (AA, AB and AC) have the same shackle-inducing authoration problem. Don't know about AD and AE but I won't risk in buying a third copy of it.

However, this DVD was one of the most sold ones in Brazil in 2013 and 2014. I don't understand, maybe Universal Music Brasil has been counting the returned copies by customers as separate sells to inflate the numbers and get more visibility.

EDIT: Indeed there was a rumour about the damaged European copies returned by customers being shipped to Latin America to not increase the financial harm. Most fans noticed the discs were slimmer than the usual ones sold here and that helped to spread the rumour.

• 1 month later...
Guest ArthurBadin

Thank you OhMadonna for this wonderful explanation.

When the tour film first came out I don´t liked it that much but now I love it.

MDNA Tour is my favorite Madonna tour of them all.

Her biggest artistic masterpiece for me.

The journey of a soul from darkness to light was incredible <3

Not being boring, but Blond Ambition Tour, which makes its 27th anniversary today, says hi.

Anyway, it's a question of personal taste. All ones should be respected. Sorry for my fail.

I thought it was good. Not as good as Rebel Heart Tour though but overall not as bad as fans say. I think fans see so much on YouTube these days they have their own vision of what DVD's should be now (some even make their own from fan footage) so their expectations can never be met.

But if you compare the last 4 tour DVD's to the earlier ones it's very sophisticated editing and filming similar to watching a film. Drowned World Tour or The Girlie Show are very simple in comparison. But only the people that saw those in person will complain about those. Talk to any fans that saw DWT in person and they say the "DVD doesn't do it justice." Can a DVD ever really be the same as being there? Probably not.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/15/2017 at 2:59 PM, bluejean said:

I thought it was good. Not as good as Rebel Heart Tour though but overall not as bad as fans say. I think fans see so much on YouTube these days they have their own vision of what DVD's should be now (some even make their own from fan footage) so their expectations can never be met.

But if you compare the last 4 tour DVD's to the earlier ones it's very sophisticated editing and filming similar to watching a film. Drowned World Tour or The Girlie Show are very simple in comparison. But only the people that saw those in person will complain about those. Talk to any fans that saw DWT in person and they say the "DVD doesn't do it justice." Can a DVD ever really be the same as being there? Probably not.

I watched Drowned World Tour a few days ago (for about a millionth time) and once again I was amazed to see how small the stage was, especially when compared to the three following tours.

Guest ArthurBadin

I watched Drowned World Tour a few days ago (for about a millionth time) and once again I was amazed to see how small the stage was, especially when compared to the there following tours.

I personally find DWT with less flaws than most of the following tours. At least it was a representation of M's artistry point of view at that time. Minimalist, present-focused, voice-emphatic and even a very interesting way to say "I'm not dead for touring" after 8 years of absence. I do think she regards this tour with some care after more than 15 years. Unlike it seems to be with Rit, for instance.

Guest ArthurBadin

@@ArthurBadin It's my favorite tour, and to me it is one of her most daring as she sings almost no classics from the '80s or '90s. But the performance stage is so small, I motive it especially during the first segment.

For me, @@Turuncan, DWT is very special too, as much as Rit (despite my current disgust for this one). I became a fan of hers during it. Taping it on VHS on HBO premiere was like a feast to me. The very beginning of several another things I'd do for her. #HowIMissGoodTimes

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Amazing Topic - Amazing explanation -
I don't want to be rude - But it´s not "ColUmbia" - It´s "COLOMBIA" -  
For me the crowd it's an important part in a DVD filming finished product - But If the Show is well filmed it doesn't matter so much at last, like on the Confessions Tour DVD, the crowd was dead (?) But the concert was filmed and treated with respect. 
I know that Madonna likes to put her hands on everything, but in all the editions that she worked on, we got really bad results, like the MDNA Tour DVD or the Rebel Heart Tour DVD.
One thing that I hate the most in the MDNA Tour DVD is the Packaging, withe the same image repeated on every face of the container cage, so boring, so selfish, there was this big concert with so much important moments and iconic photographic moments, and it was unused, kinda sad.
I remember being in the golden triangle at Buenos Aires and I see the DVD final product, and it doesn´t makes any justice.

It was annoying but this debate pales into insignificance when put next to Rebel Heart which is completely unwatchable and cringeworthy.

She really showed a human side on Rebel Heart and it was really accessible to watch live. The DVD however just looks horribly sanitised and over processed/headachey.

• 4 months later...

In my opinion, the footage was very far away. I love seing a variety of shots at the right moments, like closeups, backdrops, crowd singing / reactions etc...

The image was overly edited, with too much contrast, making it look amateur.  The scene cuts /transitions where too hard and sudden, fit for seizures lol.

They have to contact whoever did Confessions dvd, now those where cinematic scenes! Everything is perfect about that footage.

2 hours ago, bedtimestory said:

In my opinion, the footage was very far away. I love seing a variety of shots at the right moments, like closeups, backdrops, crowd singing / reactions etc...

The image was overly edited, with too much contrast, making it look amateur.  The scene cuts /transitions where too hard and sudden, fit for seizures lol.

They have to contact whoever did Confessions dvd, now those where cinematic scenes! Everything is perfect about that footage.

the man who made ray of light video did confessions tour - jonus aukland ..i think - prob very expensive