The Long, Troubled History of The MDNA Tour DVD

Future Lover

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

^ there are some things she can't control like RHT in Manchester when the video screens failed and they couldn't secure a backup quickly enough

True. But at least here in Australia, the earliest Rebel Heart started was at 9:50pm on her first Melbourne night...I think the latest was Brisbane at 11:20pm, although I think the last night she started at 11:30, she was still performing after 2am on a Sunday night...most people work on Mondays'.... and the other nights were after 10pm...ticket had start time as 9pm....I have no issue with her starting late....but she's always late, so just change the start time on your tickets.

the tour was amazing .. I could only attend the sticky and the mdna .. 
this last one is the best show I've ever attended in my life but the dvd really does not do justice .
. I'm always interested in the audio of the dvd and that also is ruined ..
 only in 5.1 you can see more sounds than in the stereo that the noise of the audience is unbearable .. 
even the version (rough) sounds better .. 
I think it's real, there were many doubts an example: that the audio of don't cry for me arg and love spent live in buenos aires
 were edited for the dvd

On 1/31/2019 at 2:46 AM, vespertine said:

What I think was the biggest wasted opportunity was the lack of tour documentary. It was easily her most controversial tour ever and would have been sublime.

In some respects I consider #secretproject to be like an unofficial tour documentary, it was filmed while she was on tour in Buenos Aries, and captured her state of mind at the time, how she felt about current events in the world etc, and in this interview she mentions various things that happened on tour in different cities

4 hours ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

In some respects I consider #secretproject to be like an unofficial tour documentary, it was filmed while she was on tour in Buenos Aries, and captured her state of mind at the time, how she felt about current events in the world etc, and in this interview she mentions various things that happened on tour in different cities

Yeah it's a fair point and I enjoy that interview a lot, but I would have loved to see her respond with the benefit of reflection.

• 3 months later...

I watched the MDNA Tour DVD last night for the first time in a few years. I saw the show twice (Birmingham and Edinburgh) and always remember it being one of my favourite shows, even with the mishaps during the Birmingham show and the shortened Edinburgh show. The main complaint with the DVD is the constant overlapping of footage and the too-fast edits. A lot of the footage is quite blurry also. That said, last night I realised it is one of my favourite tours and I hope she works with that director again in the future. I'm hoping the Madame X tour is something fresh as it is in theatres and not just a video screen as a backdrop.

• madgefan pinned this topic
  • 2 months later...
On 2/4/2019 at 12:18 PM, Brendanlovesu1 said:

Thank you! I was just thinking about this interview where she went in-depth about the reactions, moments and controversy she faced throughout the tour's run. Nice to see her talk about it and her thoughts about politics, how she engaged with fans, the fines, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/29/2019 at 12:50 PM, thelioncourtheart_ said:

Does anyone have the full image of what became the tour DVD cover? For some time people thought it was a zoomed in version of the Rain single cover but it turns out it was another image.

Hasn't it been confirmed to be a selfie Madonna took once?    If I recall, she even posted that selfie (prior to the release of the TOUR DVD)???

1 minute ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

I think so. I saw a composite image of it during the MDNA era but Google searches have turned up nothing.

I thought she or it was mentioned in the credits of the DVD, that it was by her?  I'll have to check.   For some reason I recall her or someone from her camp saying it was a selfie she took? 

Just now, MarXus said:

I thought she or it was mentioned in the credits of the DVD, that it was by her?  I'll have to check.   For some reason I recall her or someone from her camp saying it was a selfie she took? 

It was. I remember a graphic that was the selfie (I think black and white) and the portion used for the cover was in color. Not sure if that helps.

7 minutes ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

It was. I remember a graphic that was the selfie (I think black and white) and the portion used for the cover was in color. Not sure if that helps.

Yeah, I just looked at the DVD I have. Oh how I've forgotten how cheaply that was made.  LOL!  I couldn't find anything in the credits, but I could have overlooked the small writing, but in the booklet, it's just credits for each song.

3 minutes ago, MarXus said:

Yeah, I just looked at the DVD I have. Oh how I've forgotten how cheaply that was made.  LOL!  I couldn't find anything in the credits, but I could have overlooked the small writing, but in the booklet, it's just credits for each song.

That's the thing about forums and other sites is a lot of expires with images hosted on sites like Photobucket which are no longer viewable. It was a selfie indeed. I remember people thought it was a zoomed in shot of the Rain single cover. :laughing:

2 hours ago, Bat-Fan said:

You are 50% right

I love the MDNA Tour, it is brilliant, the most reminiscent Tour to BA, it has religion, sex, darkness, light, colors, high paced choreography, classic hits, and she looks fucking hot. I love how its all connected.

The DVD is a disgrace and doesn't make it justice. The stage with moving parts is an art piece by itself.

Girl Gone Wild, Gang Bang, PDP/Hung Up, Love Spent, Erotica/Candy Shop & Celebration are my highlights.

Choreography.- GGW, Gang Bang, Revolver, PDP/Hung Up, Erotica/Candy Shop

Creative & Production.- GGW, Gang Bang, Celebration

Fun.- Celebration

Remember the drama of the DVD/BR release where it was nothing but white noise on screens? That you had to adjust your screen a certain way to enjoy the concert. :laughing: Thank goodness, the second batch was way better and finding it was a chore. Got mine from Best Buy and then it was no longer carried there post release week.

28 minutes ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

That's the thing about forums and other sites is a lot of expires with images hosted on sites like Photobucket which are no longer viewable. It was a selfie indeed. I remember people thought it was a zoomed in shot of the Rain single cover. :laughing:

I recall when people tried to say it was a "zoomed in shot of the rain single" and even provided an almost convincing photoshopped version of it, where they placed the zoomed in rain cover right over it. 

1 hour ago, MarXus said:

I recall when people tried to say it was a "zoomed in shot of the rain single" and even provided an almost convincing photoshopped version of it, where they placed the zoomed in rain cover right over it. 

I wish I could find that! Nothing beats the early cover for RHT that was used by Aldo. Lord have Mercy.

2 hours ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

I wish I could find that! Nothing beats the early cover for RHT that was used by Aldo. Lord have Mercy.

Oh let's not forget how people latched on to this one.  Fan and artist Rob Jacobs who ran a fan forum himself in the mid 2000's, posted this as a fun fan cover. If I recall, we were getting hints that the album was going to be "candy" related.  He posted this artwork, and eventually it went viral as many people believed it was the actual cover of her upcoming album, 2008 album.

3593016910_080a01dfde.jpg

This is the same guy who got some major publication with his drawing of Elton John posing like Madonna from RIT:

and_now_sing.jpg

As most know, Elton has had made a number of pot shots at Madonna over the years.  Since 2012, he's cooled it and admitted that he was envious of her.  Both he and his husband eventually apologized.  Madonna and he have been amicable and out to dinner a number times since.