Rank Movies Madonna is in

RebelHeARTPOP

Evita (the day it came out I saw it 4 times in a row!!)

Who's that girl

Desperately seeking Susan

Dick Tracy (not a fan of cartoon heroes but I love the songs!)

A league of their own (excellent but very few Madonna scenes)

Body of evidence

Shanghai surprise (Sean Penn is also worth)

Dangerous game

Vision quest (but she only sings)

Next best thing

Bloodhounds of Broadway

Four rooms

Swept away

A certain sacrifice

Who's That Girl

Evita

Desperatly Seeking Susan

Body of Evidence

Dick Tracy

A League of Their Own

Dangerous Game

Swept Away

The Next Best Thing

I've never actually seen Shanghi Surprise so I will change that sooner than later. I ranked Body of Evidence so high because it's so awful; its literally amazing.  :04:

I love Desperately Seeking Susan and have a soft spot for both Who's That Girl and Dick Tracy, but I would say that Dangerous Game is far and away M's best screen performance. It might not be for all tastes, but Ferrara manages to elicit a truly great performance from her that's nuanced, believable and raw.

I have to confess I haven't seen it for a long time. You are right M gives an incredible oerformance. But the plot is not working! Not clearcat all, as in many Ferrara movies. Only a justaposition of scenes.M was really let down by the editing.

Nevertheless, I edit my post and put in a higher position!

You could say that of Swept away... it is unbelievably awful

They are almost equally cringe worthy but SA ranks over TNBT because it's shot so beautifully. And TNBT places last because it's not even a fun romantic comedy - then all of sudden gets so dramatic and court hearings. *throws tomatoes*

I would avoid The Next Best Thing like the plague. It's a huge bait and switch. First you think it's a passable cute film then you are dropped from a fucking cliff and it becomes a bad film student project/court room drama. It's by far her worst and her character is not likeable at all.

The others are all different and you may like something about them, all of them have some redeeming qualities, except for TNBT. Seriously, believe me, I know.

Evita is her best, but make no mistake. It isn't what you would call an incredible film. There are incredible moments and she is very good in it, but the film is, on the whole, rather average in many parts. The cinematography is very airy and shadowy which works well in some places and becomes annoying in others. M delivers her best acting performance here, but we know that she isn't an actress. Compared to the ones in the film with her, she is a middle of the road success in her acting. The score for the film is wonderful, as is the soundtrack. It is an enjoyable film but it isn't the film some make it out to be. But it's miles ahead of The Next Best Thing and Swept Away. 

All of them are worth watching if you are a fan of Madonna's contradictions that have made her the ultimate star of all time. However, if it's for enjoyment alone, I'd go in this order:

Desperately Seeking Susan

Truth Or Dare

Evita

Who's That Girl (It has become a 1980s classic in the US via cable)

A League Of Their Own 

Dangerous Game (A fascinating performance)

Bloodhounds of Broadway

Dick Tracy

Shanghai Surprise (She is gorgeous in every shot; captured in a very unique manner)

I'm Going To Tell You A Secret

I Am Because We Are

Body Of Evidence

Swept Away

The Next Best Thing

And then watch Truth Or Dare again to remind you of how amazing she is on camera after being subjected to those last three. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've never actually seen Shanghi Surprise so I will change that sooner than later. I ranked Body of Evidence so high because it's so awful; its literally amazing.  :04:

I have a memory of being about 9 years old and watching Shanghai Surprise on DVD in my bed, and I was wearing my dressing gown, and I'd put one of the batteries in the remote the wrong way around and it burned into my thigh. :lol:

I've only had seen Evita and Dick Tracy.

The first one 'cause I like movies based on Broadway musicals (even tho, sometimes the adaptations are not very well done, but dunno, I guess is also because I'm super gay), even knowing what the critics, and her fans says about her acting skills, and I have to say I was surprisingly very pleased. The voice and the acting were very good, it was really enjoyable.

And I saw Dick Tracy motivated by the I'm Breathless album. It was... not really a good movie, I could say that it was entertaining, and M character was very important, but her acting was... not really good, lol. She was very, very, veeery inexpressive. Tho I didn't hate the film and I could watch it again several times.

A battery?? omg!

Yeah, it was gross. My skin (it wasn't skin though lol) was like a red/orange kind of colour because it had burned through. I stood up so fast and quickly yelled "fuck" iirc. The back of the remote had snapped off and I was lying down facing upwards and it was touching my thigh and burned the fuck out of me. I've actually done worse though - When I was about 5 I had a lit sparkler from Bonfire Night and I touched it while it was burning and my glove was on fire on my hand. Got to water fast enough for it to be fine but yikes. Luckily I've never actually broken a bone or fractured anything in my life. :lol:

Yeah, it was gross. My skin (it wasn't skin though lol) was like a red/orange kind of colour because it had burned through. I stood up so fast and quickly yelled "fuck" iirc. The back of the remote had snapped off and I was lying down facing upwards and it was touching my thigh and burned the fuck out of me. I've actually done worse though - When I was about 5 I had a lit sparkler from Bonfire Night and I touched it while it was burning and my glove was on fire on my hand. Got to water fast enough for it to be fine but yikes. Luckily I've never actually broken a bone or fractured anything in my life. :lol:

But what kind of battery would do that? lol i've never heard of someone getting hurt, Not one these?

1-5v-aa-duracell-alkaline-battery.jpg

Well, most of them have been pretty bad, both in terms of script & production, and of Madonna's acting abilities, so ranking them is rather tough. I will not include OO7, Four Rooms, Shadows and Fog and Blue in the Face as those were just tiny cameo-like roles. 

'Best' to worst...

1. Truth or Dare / In Bed With Madonna (a piece of absolute perfection)

2. Dick Tracy (absolutely loved it as a kid, listed so high for nostalgia purposes)

3. Evita (basically just a long music video, but still entertaining)

4. Desperately Seeking Susan 

5. A League Of Their Own (Rosie was better, but I did love the pairing of her and Madonna)

6. Dangerous Game (one of Madonna's rare 'good acting' moments)

7. Body of Evidence (so bad that its actually great to watch)

8. Bloodhounds of Broadway (I find this movie very entertaining, plus, it has I Surrender Dear)

9. Shanghai Surprise (awfully bad, but still rather entertaining)

10. Who's That Girl (Cheesy bad)

11. The Next Best Thing (this film is not the next best anything)

12. Swept Away (the cinematic equivalent of a fecal impaction)

If I have missed any, they were probably too awful to recall, lol. I did not add any of her directorial efforts, as those were worse than the acting. Madonna, a great pop star.... but really should keep away from the movies.

Am I the only one who finds most of the music from Evita extremely boring and tedious?

Literally the only thing in her discography I haven't listened to in years or add to any playlists. I rememeber loving Bueanos Aires and I think Rainbow Tour but with the movie was beautiful combination, which has also been many years.