Angelman60

Borderline different extended

Hey guys,

A friend of mine just pointed out that the extended version of Borderline from the UK 12'' has a different intro without glockenspiel :

http://burningtheground.net/2017/04/madonna-borderline-uk-12/

The only version I've ever known was the 12'' version from the CD "like a Virgin and other big hits".

Apparantly the instrumental would have small différences too.

Did you know about that ?

It doesn't say the radio edit is a unique mix but it's the only 12'' where that mix can be found. I'm sure it's the mix on all 7'' though.

You say that but is it the Edit that is the same version on the CD Single Collection and It's That Girl compilation because it's listed separately on remixology

You say that but is it the Edit that is the same version on the CD Single Collection and It's That Girl compilation because it's listed separately on remixology

I know "It's that girl" has a unique mix but what is the single collection you mention ? The japanese box ?

Yes the Japanese box set, I thought they were the same edit

Japanese box version and "it's that girl" K7 version are different as far as I know. The japanese box version is the real 7'' version.

arrrgh there's too many version too close from each other :-)

No glockenspiel on the intro, alternate instrumentation, I guess those were remastered by Jellybean later for the US issues, while the UK got the old mixes

I don't hear anything. The glock on the intro before the drums start right? It's still there. Just a little harder to hear on the vinyl, which didn't capture the sound at such high frequencies so well.

I don't hear anything. The glock on the intro before the drums start right? It's still there. Just a little harder to hear on the vinyl, which didn't capture the sound at such high frequencies so well.

So you're saying they're not different versions?

Do you know about the Edits, is the CD Single Collection and It's that Girl and the Edit (Radio Version) the same version, they all sound the same and are about the same length, it's so confusing

I just compared the 2 of them and I noticed that the Borderline (U.S. Remix) as well as the Borderline (Instrumental) vinyl rips posted by BurningTheGround have been edited in the intro with the original 1983 album version (that is why no glockenspiel, which is only on the US remix, Dub/Instrumental and also Remix Edits), so the mixes are the same, BTG has just tried to re-edit the intro with the album version with an audio software digitally but you can see there is a quality difference after the 16,3 seconds.

Same goes for the Dub, so nope, both US Remix and Dub mixes from the various vinyls are the exact same, if you compare them side to side and check the spectrum analyzing the various frequencies.

Borderline (Remix Edit) is only available on It's That Girl (Cassette) promo, edit of the US Remix/New Extended Mix.

Borderline (Edit) is available on the 40 3"CD Collection is a different edit than the It's That Girl version, as it doesn't have the cymbal hit after the drums hit, and includes also the percussion which was omitted on the 40 3" CD Collection version. Alternate edit of the Borderline (US Remix).

Messy I know, but thanks @@bertrand for pointing it out, I wouldn't have made more research otherwise :)

Thanks, that's cleared some stuff up, just to clarify what is the Edit (Radio Version) on

https://www.discogs.com/Madonna-Borderline-Triple-Mix/release/2216631

Is it the same as the It's That Girl or CD Single Collection or a different version altogether?

you can see there is a quality difference after the 16,3 seconds.

The frequency Spectrum has a difference at 16' on all verisons of Borderline, it doens't proove that DJPaulT edited it.

He says that all the song comes from the vinyl and is not edited.

This version is driving me crazy :smile:  but I appreciate your all your efforts to proove (or not) it's legit.

The frequency Spectrum has a difference at 16' on all verisons of Borderline, it doens't proove that DJPaulT edited it.

He says that all the song comes from the vinyl and is not edited.

This version is driving me crazy :smile: but I appreciate your all your efforts to proove (or not) it's legit.

That's inaccurate, since only his rips have the first 16.39 seconds from CD (straight from the 1983 issue) and then afterwards is all vinyl rip, with it's usual noise, clicks and different EQ.

All the other CD and 7" & 12" versions I have do not have this problem, and Sire/Warner or Jellybean himself would never mix up a straight CD transfer with a vinyl rip, it makes no sense and it's amateur.

Also it's noticeable as the Lucas mixing is different from Jellybean's and in BTG rips the mixing & mastering just completely change after the 4/5th kick drum hits in both quality, frequency, reverb, mixing and mastering.

I don't need no proof, it's obvious to me those vinyl rips were digitally edited, but anyway take it as you want, I am just sharing my thoughts.

I'm glad you share your thoughts I'm taking them into account.

It's just that I'm so astonished DJPaulT would do something like that. I trusted him a lot and he maintains that he did not edited the rip...

A friend send me a rip of his UK 12'' and it's the version we all know with glockenspiel so...

I'm a bit disapointed by Paul I have to say.

So you're saying they're not different versions?

Do you know about the Edits, is the CD Single Collection and It's that Girl and the Edit (Radio Version) the same version, they all sound the same and are about the same length, it's so confusing

One is a short album version, the other is a short remix. The easiest way to tell them apart is the little hat roll (open hat on the first beat of the song after the drum buildup), that's added on the remix. Also some extra percussions (is that a cowbell?). And a glock.