The Madonna [First Album] Era

groovyguy

Unreleased Madonna Songs by https://vk.com/madonnarandd

First Album Era

1983 PHYSICAL ATTRACTION (Version credited to Madonna as the sole songwriter). Bruce Baron requested to hear this track at the Washington DC Library of Congress, and was hoping to hear a different version of this song. He requested this item because it credits Madonna as the sole songwriter. Stephen Bray also thought that Madonna wrote this song. The commercial releases that we are all familiar with credit producer Reggie Lucas as the sole songwriter. Either there was a major clerical error, or Madonna gave up the credit to Lucas for some kind of special arrangement. This item was not available on tape to listen to, but remains on microfilm from the sheet music sent in by Warner Brothers. The words are exactly the same as the released version, and clearly credit Madonna as the songwriter. It refers to her spoken portion of the song as a "rap" (ha ha). This entry is from Feb 22nd, 1983 (date of work creation 1982) and seems to be from the period of her first three 12" single releases. This is when she was published by Only Child Music before her co-publishing deal for Webo Girl was created when Warner Bros picked up the option for her first album. The ownership was transferred to Warner Bros and Webo Girl on April 25th 1983 with the registration of PAu-506-929 which I did not request. It also credits Madonna as the songwriter. Curiously another registration PA-210-598 credits Reggie Lucas as the sole song writer and was registered May 14th 1984 for a date of creation in 1983. This is a published work registration (PA-), not an unpublished (PAu-) and is actually a copy of the 12" single with "Burning Up" on the other side that was issued for sale. It claims the date of publishing as Feb 1st 1983. Sounds like something for the lawyers to sort out ?

First Album Outtakes:

AINT NO BIG DEAL (Different from "Pre-Madonna" Version)

AINT NO BIG DEAL (Jellybean Remix)

DON'T YOU KNOW

EVERYBODY (Jellybean Remix)

SIDEWALK TALK (Solo Version)

SHAKE YOUR HEAD

WE LIVE IN A HOUSE

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I just don't get this album - there were a lot of really lousy tracks on this (Lucky Star, Think of Me, Physical Attraction are just crap.) On the flip side, it has several good tracks (Borderline, Holiday, Everybody), but they're not strong enough to hold it up as an excellent album. She became a more talented songwriter and singer as time went on.

17 hours ago, OhBabyReadyOrNot said:

I just don't get this album - there were a lot of really lousy tracks on this (Lucky Star, Think of Me, Physical Attraction are just crap.) On the flip side, it has several good tracks (Borderline, Holiday, Everybody), but they're not strong enough to hold it up as an excellent album. She became a more talented songwriter and singer as time went on.

now kindly go wash your mouth with soap young'un :laughing:

"First Album Outtakes:

AINT NO BIG DEAL (Different from "Pre-Madonna" Version)

AINT NO BIG DEAL (Jellybean Remix)

DON'T YOU KNOW

EVERYBODY (Jellybean Remix)

SIDEWALK TALK (Solo Version)

SHAKE YOUR HEAD

WE LIVE IN A HOUSE"

Are these legit first album outtakes?

I find the first two albums so fascinating. We seemingly know abolsutely nothing about songs that were recorded official and didn't make the cut. I can't believe no one ever asked Nile Rogers about unused tracks.

Isn't We Live In A House some pre Madonna song? Sidewalk was a Jellybean song and Shake Your Head a Madonna feature.

Don't You Know wasn't properly recorded for Madonna was it? Wasn't it just an old Pre-MAdonna Bray demo. 

The only one we actually know was recorded proper was Ain't No Big Deal.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2020 at 12:19 PM, steady75 said:

Also has anyone got footage of the different versions of Everybody and Physical Attraction she used to perform at OA's that Stephen Bray was talking about. Be interesting to hear if there's much difference.

Wow, I never heard about it ... what´s OA's?