This Still Gives me Goosebumps

The City: Manila

The Country: Philippines 

The Time: Most likely after midnight

Something special happened

With one single guitar strum and two words into the song, a room of thousands erupted into hysteria. A special moment from a special woman. THIS is Madonna's power, ladies and gentlemen. Standing on a stage in a country she'd never performed in, having an audience of people that hardly speak your language singing your timeless classic back to you almost louder than you can even with a microphone. This is Madonna. And no one will ever replace her. 

The City: Manila

The Country: Philippines 

The Time: Most likely after midnight

Something special happened

With one single guitar strum and two words into the song, a room of thousands erupted into hysteria. A special moment from a special woman. THIS is Madonna's power, ladies and gentlemen. Standing on a stage in a country she'd never performed in, having an audience of people that hardly speak your language singing your timeless classic back to you almost louder than you can even with a microphone. This is Madonna. And no one will ever replace her. 

She performed it for an event that happened in the Philippines called: "The EDSA People Power Revolution" which occurred due to the snap election of the then- president Ferdinand Marcos on February 22–25, 1986. There was no blood shed, no bullets fired and no casualties lost. It was just the power of prayer and faith that made the soldiers realize the truth and and life. They were asked by the president to fire missiles at the people but the kindness of the people and their devotion moved the soldiers who were blocking the road. Because of that, the president exiled to Hawaii, where he died.

The song indeed speaks about the longingness of love and freedom and the connection of the song to the actual event is on point.

I recall my sister and her boyfriend at the time saying this was "their song".  By the time, I became a huge fan, they admitted when they first heard it, they didn't realize it was "Madonna" who sang it.  It's hard for me to even imagine that, but I guess once she became huge, there were so many songs by her, some people had a hard time keeping tabs on them all.