madgefan

Lucky Star/Borderline, Holiday/Everybody & Into the Groove/Who's That Girl/Causing a Commotion CD Singles

I'm sure many of you have seen these CD singles or even own a copy of each one of them. I've always wondered the reasons behind their release between 1989 and 1990 despite having Madonna pictures taken in 1986. Were they the first CD singles to contain the "5-inch Compact Disc Single" labels? Did they represent the first time a Madonna single got CD treatment? Because I know those gorgeous Japanese EPs started to be issued around the same time. Can anybody share more details about this? I personally own a copy of these 3 singles being the first one my favourite! However I sometimes find it weird where to put them in my physical collection as they were released way after the True Blue era but around the time Like a Prayer was being promoted, also # numbers are different.

@@Kamyczek do you know more info?

R-485719-1251468456.jpeg.jpg

R-2658283-1430976847-6208.jpeg.jpg

R-448711-1408344806-5113.jpeg.jpg

As far as i remember they were first released in the 3" format at the same time as the 3" cd singles for LAP, EY and Cherish(1989) probably to promote some of her back catalogue on cd for the first time with remixes(CAC and WTG extended were not available on CD anywhere else before these releases -not even on the Japan mini EPs) and then they were re-issued in 5" CD versions(1990) when Warners decided this was the format to go for in Europe(3" CDs were always more a Japanese market thing-hence the wonderful 40 cd japan box set)

As for the covers i can only assume it was just an easy option to use those pics - i love the cover to the Holiday/Everybody release the most - the ITG/CAC/WTG is terrible artwork though :((

I have all 3 of these CDs still sealed and being the OCD person i am i always file them after the YCD album and before the LAP single as thats where i feel they belong

Ahh what a great time to be a fan, especially when the plethora of new technology kept spilling out.  I remember first seeing "Causing a Commotion" as a mini single disc.  The song was already out for some time, but I believe in 1988, that's when these started selling.  I remember being confused what it was at first and if I could play it on a normal CD player.  It turns out with an adapter you could, and when Laserdiscs became popular a few years later, the player was adaptable to play multiple types of CDs as well. They even played CD video which I still own a PAPA DON'T PREACH disc which contains the video on it.  

They were issued for other Warner artists too with the "star" cropped images; there are Prince and Alice Cooper titles. Apparently issued to test the market appetite for the back catalogue on CD.

There are 3 editions to collect: 3"CDs, the German 5"CDs, and the much much rarer Australian 5"CDs.

They were issued for other Warner artists too with the "star" cropped images; there are Prince and Alice Cooper titles. Apparently issued to test the market appetite for the back catalogue on CD.

There are 3 editions to collect: 3"CDs, the German 5"CDs, and the much much rarer Australian 5"CDs.

Agree.

They were released with no specific reason to promote any new record - as 3" CDs in Germany in 1989 and a bit later in 1990 as 5" CDs in Germany and Australia. They are not re-issues of early 80's 7" or 12" 'cause the artworks and tracklists are unique. Lucky Star was even re-released later in the 90's as well in Germany. I think Warner might rather want to promote with this series a new format of singles which were previously released on vinyl only.

Hi everyone!

Does anyone know the release dates for these three issues? I've looked and can't seem to find anything. If anyone knows, even maybe just the German dates, I'd really appreciate it. It's just for my discography listing, my OCD insists it's listed correctly by date!

Wobble

They were released at the same time or prior to Like A Prayer and Express Yourself on 3â€CD. I have a clipping from Smash Hits where they were given away as a lot of five for a prize, unfortunately I don’t have the full magazine for a the date, but Cheeish wasn’t included, so probably before that was issued.

They were released at the same time or prior to Like A Prayer and Express Yourself on 3â€CD. I have a clipping from Smash Hits where they were given away as a lot of five for a prize, unfortunately I don’t have the full magazine for a the date, but Cheeish wasn’t included, so probably before that was issued.

Cheers CPB. The closest I’ve come to a date is Jan 89. Crikey, I bet my collection of Smash Hits is still in mothers loft. Happy days :)