Things I've noticed on TRUTH OR DARE

Roy

Ok, I've been watching Truth or Dare several times and I have noticed some things that slightly bugged me:

1. Obviously, she started her Blond Ambition Tour in Japan. She stated that she forgot that it was rainy season there thus she, together with her dancers and back ups, need to stick to just ONE costume for the night, which is the Vogue costume with a jacket top. Additionally, she stated that the thought of going back to America to show how it is supposed to be performed prevented her from "slashing her wrists." However, during the ACTUAL dates of the BAT in Japan, there are dates wherein she indeed performed the show the way it was meant to be. Did she forget or did the thought of the night wherein it was cold to perform haunted her thus, she wanted to go back to America?

2. During Express Yourself, her hair style changes (still sticking to the "Marilyn Monroe" blond wig).

20229269_1554768104585664_35769489651734Maybe this was shot in different locations. Let me know what dates are shot for this movie.

3. She started wearing the Marilyn Monroe wig during the European Leg of the tour. Both Japan and North American Leg of the tour was her wearing the blond ponytail.

4. During Express Yourself, she greeted the audience through this line: "Alright America! Do you believe in love? 'Cuz I've got something to say about it and it goes something like this!" Obviously, it's pre-recorded for the movie because she never said it in any dates of the North American leg. She usually calls out the city name or the country (at least in the European leg.)

5. There was one scene wherein an instrumental for "Thief of Hears" was played. It was wherein her brother informed her that she would be arrested if she does the masturbation scene.

6. During Live to Tell, the camera spins around her during the last part. Would the audiences be annoyed by it?

I think that's all I've noticed. Let me know if you noticed some things in the movie too. :)

1. It's true. There is actual footage of some Japan concerts where she performed with normal costumes. The best example is the Yokohama (that wasn't exempt of strong wind) show taped for video release, and if I'm not mistaken there is footage from Japan in the HBO pre-show special broadcast in August 1990. 

2.The concert footage shown in Truth or Dare comes mainly from the 3 Paris stops (July 3, 4 and 6 1990) at Bercy. It's normal to see hair style changes if you mix different concerts together, isn't it? The same is perceived in Like a Virgin, and Like a Prayer (watch the VHS bonus material). In the rest of the songs is unnoticeable because towards the end of a show Madonna's hair tends to get loose.

3. I wouldn't say it's a wig... I believe Madonna had natural short curls by mid 1990.

4. The Alright America! line could have been recorded in post production. There're these work prints where you can easily hear her say Alright Paris, est ce vous crois a l'amour? but somehow she decided to edit that part so there was some coherence with what she was saying about "coming back to America and do the show as it was meant to be".

5. The thing about Thief of Hearts has recently also caught my attention. Maybe you're referring to the demo version? I've also thought about it as the start of another song...

6. Madonna's said in different concerts that she's sorry for having the audience's view blocked because of the cameras.

What I can add to the conversation and I think I've said or read it before is that there're several parallels between both Truth or Dare and I'm Going to Tell You a Secret:

• They both are presented in b&w with some edited concert footage in lively colour.
  • The concert footage was filmed in Paris' old Bercy in at least 2 dates.
  • Both tours schedule ended in Europe so that's the way the evolution of the story is presented on screen.
  • Both docs include the songs Holiday, Like a Prayer, and Vogue.
  • Both docs include the story about a dancer whose father wasn't very happy with the idea of him becoming a dancer.
  • Tony Ciccone, Madonna's father, says something very similar in the lines of "she's growing up onstage".
  • Although IGTTYAS is more obvious in relation to the political aspect, in Truth or Dare Madonna says she had dreamt of Gorbachov.
  • Strangely... NOT! ... Warren Beatty and Guy Ritchie are somway portrayed as unsupportive men

:crazyeyes:   :Madonna015:

The concert footage was shot over 3 nights in Paris and cut together. That's why you noticed the difference with her hair, it's not a wig btw, the ponytail was. The alright American was dubbed for the movie as I said above all the concert footage was done in Paris. I believe the live to tell was done only 1 or the 3 nights.

It's fair to say that the Rainy night she performed in Japan stuck in her head mostly because it's where she opened up the tour and there was great concern dancers and Madonna would get hurt.  I think most anyone would remember that night the most as a nightmare over the many nights that things went more smoothly.

The ponytail was the extension/wig.  The footage later in the tour, with her hair in curls is real.  From what I recall the ponytail was doing a number on her head and hair, and she didn't want to wear the Ponytail anymore. If you're curious of what her hair looked like down at the time, days before the American Leg of the Tour began, she appeared on the Arsenio Hall Show in 1990.  So her hair grew some since then as well. Depending how tight she curled her hair, the shorter it looked. Of course, you see her true hair length throughout the Truth or Dare film as well even when it was straight.

The "Alright America" was definitely dubbed in for the film because that segment is when she went to America.

As for the camera for "Live To Tell", they weren't as intrusive as you think. 

Finally, You're mistaken, that is not "Thief of Hearts" during that segment of the movie. In fact, I am not sure how you can tell what song it was, since it was a split second and she turned off the tape player. There are write ups on the origin of Madonna's album in various groups, and this song was not even thought of yet. It came later when developing the Erotica album.

@@madgefan @@Maddyone @@Liam Thank you guys so much for clarifying. I didn't know that her hair is naturally curly like that. Maybe she dyed it blond or that is her true hair color. :)

Um no? She's a natural brunette!!  Surely, you knew that? But she's been blonde for the majority of her career. Also, she definitely used curlers for that look.  But yes, she's always had naturally curly/wavy hair.  

I'd like to say something that I don't know if it was told about "Barcelona's hair".

I remember when the BAT came to Spain, some newspapers said that in Barcelona Madonna's hair stilist had any kind of problem and she had to call another hair stilist from here. That's why her hair was different in that concert. Maybe she didn't have time enough to curl her hair completly.

Maybe the "hair stilist" problem was the one showed on "Truth or dare". 

I'd like to say something that I don't know if it was told about "Barcelona's hair".

I remember when the BAT came to Spain, some newspapers said that in Barcelona Madonna's hair stilist had any kind of problem and she had to call another hair stilist from here. That's why her hair was different in that concert. Maybe she didn't have time enough to curl her hair completly.

If you're referring to the change from the pony tail to the curls, it was changed because it was putting a lot of strain on her scalp and hair, being pulled back every night.  As for the various European shows with the curls, I think it was a matter of her stylist putting curlers in a few hours before the show, and then may not brushed it out completely. Also, when they use curlers, depending how tight it's rolled, the tighter they are. 

Anyone else shit their pants when the thunder boom happened during her adjustment? Gets me every time. There goes M's neck. Julie shut up.

ALSO, I've noticed, in the sound edit of Express Yourself after she sings "oh baby ready or not" there's no "HOO" like in every single show. Makes me wonder how much they edited it. That performance is completely using the album vocals. In the workprint you hear the HOO, not in the final version. Small difference but it's always bothered me lol

Anyone else shit their pants when the thunder boom happened during her adjustment? Gets me every time. There goes M's neck. Julie shut up.

ALSO, I've noticed, in the sound edit of Express Yourself after she sings "oh baby ready or not" there's no "HOO" like in every single show. Makes me wonder how much they edited it. That performance is completely using the album vocals. In the workprint you hear the HOO, not in the final version. Small difference but it's always bothered me lol

I've noticed that too and yes, the thunder clap scared me. XD

I remember the first time I watched the neck scene - I jumped! :lol: :lol: 

Humidity and the fact that at that point in the tour her hair had grown substantially: an extra inch, humidity and a lot of hairspray will do that! It was criminal! Should have just wet it, slicked back. Sort of like Holiday at the end of the Who's That Girl tour. But instead they got the hair and the man voice!!! Legendary nonetheless.

Humidity and the fact that at that point in the tour her hair had grown substantially: an extra inch, humidity and a lot of hairspray will do that! It was criminal! Should have just wet it, slicked back. Sort of like Holiday at the end of the Who's That Girl tour. But instead they got the hair and the man voice!!! Legendary nonetheless.

Don't forget the foghorn voice during sooner or later.  

Blond Ambition - Spanish Poodle Tour 

a2d61a00efbcf978856dfdba7393c05c--blond-