American Life: the most underrated album ever

MadgeSlave

post-4921-0-70887300-1502997692_thumb.png
(Fan made cover)

Can we take a minute just for admire the masterpiece that is American Life?  :Madonna013:

An album ahead of his time, and unfortunately so underrated and boycotted.  :Madonna007:  :Madonna023:  :Madonna026:

I will never get over the fact that the original video of American Life (the raw and most truthful) was censored.

With beautiful songs and videos, like Die Another Day and Love Profusion.

And finally, with a amazing tour (that came to my country for the first time, moreover the DVD of the tour was recorded here, but never released!)

Post more things you admire from this American Life era! 

Die Another Day is utterly incredible. The staccato voice is brilliant, as is "Sigmund Freud, analyse this". I love how brash she is on this song, as well as on American Life and Hollywood, yet these tracks sit so comfortably next to 'soft' songs like Love Profusion, Intervention, and Nothing Fails. It's a shame the album wasn't as successful as it deserved to be. Definitely an underrated album, and a lot of credit to M for being so ballsy at such a risky time! 

My problem with AL stems from the title track song ? I think Jellybean said it best ? It's garbage ? the whole bleepy production on it just sounded cheap to me and then we have a very nice melodic chorus ? the song just doesn't gel very well but thats just my opinon - also i found Hollywood the song and video a major let-down too ? to me the best tracks were the ones not released as singles such as Easy Ride, Intervention & X-static process(Probably not commercial enough for singles though ?) - i would rate the album 5 out of 10 - its an interesting listen though.

Die Another Day has one of her best videos and another example where an amazing video was ignored by MTV awards(Bad Girl, Rain, Bedtime Story - hello ? )

The rap in the title track is absolutely brilliant too. I know a lot of people dislike it, but I love it because it demonstrates how Madonna recognises she's equally a victim of American capitalism and the materialism of American society as anyone else. She's not trying to claim she's somehow better than anyone else because she's a celebrity - she still buys into the American lifestyle of 'more more more'. 

I agree and disagree.

I mean it is true American Life is underrated album but "The most"? I have to disagree.

A lot of fans and even people which hate Madonna loves American Life.

But still I agree that American Life is very underrated masterpiece I love it so much!

But I have to say this THE MOST underrated album is "EROTICA"

That album is ahead of time. I mean it sounds still fresh and unique!!

I never heard this kind of music still now.

Such a unique sound and what a masterpiece itself!

So yes I agree with American life is underrated album But I have to disagree The most part.

For me The MOST underrated album all the time is "Erotica."

Not just for her fan what I mean is whole music history.

The rap in the title track is absolutely brilliant too. I know a lot of people dislike it, but I love it because it demonstrates how Madonna recognises she's equally a victim of American capitalism and the materialism of American society as anyone else. She's not trying to claim she's somehow better than anyone else because she's a celebrity - she still buys into the American lifestyle of 'more more more'. 

I love the rap in American Life as the 1st video she pulled out.. Not a fan of the Hollywood and Love Profusion video but Intervention and Mother and Father are some little gems (and thank god we had amazing promo mixes done for M&F). Definitely Tears Of A Clown made re-appreciate the tracks as per RIT in Lisbon I have seen it maybe 4 times? Didn't like the look a la Marie Antoniette nor the whole concept apart the background video interludes... Definitely love this promo interview outtake 

Hollywood is one of my favourite M songs ever.

Die Another Day is an incredibly innovative Bond song (Hello Sam Smith).

Mirwais did a wonderful job on the album.

Nothing Fails and X-Static Process are also very solid pop tracks, Madonna's music to the bare minimum. I'm So Stupid and Love Profusion are fun too.

Maybe the album lacked a little variety or a high profile guest.

and I've been fascinated with the idea that the song and album were supposed to be titled "American Lie" (which you can hear very precisely on the acapella : she never actually sings "Life" on the chorus). THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN BALLSY.

:Madonna023:   this is me when I even think of "American Life" album.

Every single song is brilliant. I love the way acoustic guitar meets electro sound.

There are a few Madonna's songs that literally makes me cry, and most of them are from this album. "Intervention", "X-Static Process", "Easy Ride", but the the one that's the most emotional for me is "Nothing Fails". I have read somewhere that there was a plan of making the video for it in Israel, such a shame it didn't happen...

Speaking of the album, I'm in love with the unreleased songs that leaked. My favourite one is "Miss You". I love it so much that it's one of my fave song of all time, not even the AL era.

I really love when M is doing spectacular show with lots of crazy things happen on stage, but I adore her little acoustic concerts like Cantine de Faubourg, HMV performance etc... Madonna and a guitar is  all I need - that's why this era is so special for me.

Madonna walks a fine line between art and commercial success.

She has no idea which one she wants to be. You can't have both.

She took great risks with the record and American Life video- the last great music video she or anyone else has made.

Great art requires great risk, and if you just want to satisfy a market or get a new audience, you can't have great art.

American Life is one of the rare Madonna records where she puts art first and experiments with folk, acquits and electronic. I wish she would go back to experimenting again and being the true button pusher all great artists should be. Fuck the success, you've had enough-focus on the art and the fans who are still with you.

Never tell me Bitch I'm Madonna is art....

American Life is one of the rare Madonna records where she puts art first and experiments with folk, acquits and electronic. I wish she would go back to experimenting again and being the true button pusher all great artists should be. Fuck the success, you've had enough-focus on the art and the fans who are still with you.

So true.

Especially nowadays, when the success of next album is not so obvious. I wish she would stop working with Diplos, Timbalands, Benassis etc., and take somebody out from 'the underground', as she did with, for example, Mirwais.

I think that see needs to think about fans. Of course, she'll have new ones when she'll be collaborating with top producers, so maybe I can understand those decissions, but I'd be so proud of her supporting talented, yet unknown artists.

Comparing "MDNA" and "Rebel Heart" I think that it's going in the right direction, both lyrically and musically, but it's a looooong way from the last album to "American Life".

Also why she performed a huge chunk of it for Tears of a Clown. I know Monte Pittman loves that album too.

M's choices and her record company's choices are world apart.

Didn't M want Impressive Instant released as a single and the company said no. Assholes.

Never tell me Bitch I'm Madonna is art....

Oh you'r so right !

What stikes me the most on this album is  the consistency between the songs. It's a real concept...

Ballads are splendids. I love X-Static Process and Intevention. Easy Ride and Love Profusion are amazing...

Actually, all songs are great.

It truly is such an underrated album. Nothing Fails, Intervention, Mother and Father and Die Another Day are some of my all-time favorite songs.

I really disliked nobody knows me until I saw the tour. That version with the heavy beats, and the way it was mixed... incredible. Stuart, where the fuck are you.

His production truly does take the song to a whole other level. I appreciated it so much more after hearing the tour version.