Songs that should've been singles and were not

MadgeSlave

I've been listening to Madonna's whole discography again this week and it let me thinking...

In your opinion, what songs from Madonna's albums should've been singles? 

In my opinion:

â–ºMadonna: The First Album:

â–ºLike a Virgin

For me, they're both have the correct single choice.

â–ºTrue Blue:

Where's the Party

White Heat

â–ºLike a Prayer:

Promise to Try

â–ºErotica:

Thief of Hearts

In This Life

Secret Garden

â–ºBedtime Stories:

Correct single choice. 

â–ºRay of Light:

Sky fits Heaven

Mer Girl

â–ºMusic:

I Deserve it

Nobody's Perfect

â–ºAmerican Life:

Nothing Fails (should have had a video)

Intervention

X- Static Process

(I should also mention that I wanted this album to have been a visual album.)

â–ºConfessions:

Future Lovers

Forbidden Love

Isaac

Fighting Spirit

â–ºHard Candy:

Heartbeat

She's Not Me

[Across the Sky -- Leaked Demo that should have been on the album tracklist]

â–ºMDNA:

Love Spent

Masterpiece

Falling Free

â–ºRebel Heart:

Unapologetic Bitch

Iconic

Holy Water

Inside Out

Joan of Arc

And I think that's it! What are your choices?  :smuglaugh:  :benice:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have to keep in mind, singles were meant to grab more casual listeners and were radio friendly.  Songs like "Secret Garden", "White Heat", "Sky Fits Heaven", "Heartbeat", etc, just doesn't scream that for me.  But I would agree that "Where's The Party" would definitely made a perfect single. Probably would have become one if, "Who's That Girl" project wasn't released.  Radio was already playing it. 

My choices...

These two would have been top 10 hits if released.  She was unstoppable at this point.

"Stay" from Like A Virgin

"Where's The Party" from True Blue

Probably wouldn't have been huge hits for her.

"Why's It So Hard" and/or "In This Life"

"Forbidden Love" and/or "Don't Stop"

"Swim"

May have been a top ten for her:

"Amazing" from Music

Probably wouldn't have been a big hits:

"Nothing Fails" from American Life

"Push"  from COADF

May have been a decent hit for her if followed up as a second or third single.

"Devil Wouldn't Have Recognized You"  from Hard Candy

Probably wouldn't have done well in the charts.
"Dance Tonight" from Hard Candy

"Gang Bang" should have been Madonna's "Thriller".  It should have had an epic video. It wouldn't have made a good radio single, but visually it could have scored some attention towards MDNA

Rebel Heart:

"Joan of Arc"

"Addicted" (should have been part of the main album)

"Rebel Heart" (should have been hugely promoted during the tour if not used footage from the tour as a video).

Madonna: Physical Attraction

Like a virgin: Over and Over and Pretender

True Blue: Where's the Party

Like a Prayer: Till Death Do Us Part and Spanish Eyes

I'm Breathless: He's a Man

Erotica: Waiting and Words

Bedtime Stories: Don't Stop, Love Tried To Welcome Me and Your Honesty

Ray of Light: Sky Fits Heaven, Swim and Little Star

Music: Amazing and Runaway Lover

American Life: Nobody Knows Me and Intervention

Confessions: Let It Will Be and History

Hard Candy: Beat Goes On and Dance 2night

MDNA: Gang Bang and Masterpiece

Rebel Heart: Rebel Heart and Messiah

From the first album, I would Physical Attraction as an edit (remixed for clubs) would have been a good addition.

Like a Virgin I think had the perfect run for singles along with Crazy For You/Into The Groove/Gamble via the Vision Quest soundtrack.

Where's the Party definitely could have been the final single from True Blue if she wanted to release.

Like a Prayer is pretty tricky. I feel she commercially released the best singles she could have (minus Dear Jessie) that represented the record. We could have squeezed "Do Us Part" or "Spanish Eyes" but I feel what needed to be said about Madonna personally was said through the singles. Keep It Together deserved a proper video aside from the live performance which is great but definitely is forgotten by the casual fan.

Rescue Me just deserved a video. 

Erotica could have squeezed something like Waiting or Words as a final single. Waiting did have a remix ready so who knows? It did have a good single run, good videos and mixes so perhaps another single may have been too much especially considering she was public enemy number one during those years.

Bedtime Stories really was sublime. She was good album tracks but not commercially friendly. The TuPac scrapped feature of "I'd Rather Be Your Lover" and an official release of "Forbidden Love" would have rounded out the era.

"I Want You" as a proper single. The video, song and everything was perfect, shame it was shelved due to legalities. 

Ray of Light needed Skin as a final club banger and had the cancelled Veronica Electronica remix album happened, I could see promo mixes of the album singles, Sky Fits Heaven and maybe even Swim as a single release though I think she chose the best singles off the record though my love for Skin lives on.

Music - She wanted Impressive Instant, WB wanted Amazing, my opinion, why not both? 

American Life could have made better use of Nobody Knows Me especially being released around the tour with either a shot video or a live video since the performance was amazing; that remix though. Nothing Fails could have been great with an official video to support and I always felt Intervention screamed perfect radio single.

Confessions had the perfect run I think. The only gripe is the Get Together video.

Hard Candy definitely could have used another single mostly Beat Goes On as it was available on the sticker of the record but wasn't released. It would have balanced two singles for JT/Timbaland and Pharrell. Though I wish she had added Pela Tute and Across the Sky (should have been single) instead of Miles Away.

MDNA is honestly the worst run of single material she did. First off GMAYL was a poor choice of a first single. As generic as Girl Gone Wild was, it definitely would have been a better first introduction to the record. She also failed to release Masterpiece prior to record and buzz of W.E./Golden Globes since it was definitely a praised Orbit collab. I'm Addicted, Gang Bang, Love Spent, Beautiful Killer would have made better singles over what was released.

Rebel Heart definitely could have been extended more beyond three singles. It seemed she was basically going to choose from the six song set released in December however, the latter portion of the record was neglected even the title track. Songs like Iconic, Joan of Arc, Devil Pray, Unapologetic Bitch or even Best Night would have fared well. Rebel Heart definitely could be used as a promo single at the moment to advertise the live tour release with a compiled live video.

I would certainly love for these to have been chosen along with what was released:

True Blue

Where's the Party, Each Time You Break My Heart

I'm Breathless

Sooner or Later and Now I'm Following You

Bedtime Stories

Don't Stop

STR

Something to Remember and Forbidden Love

Evita

I'd Be Surpringly Good For You

Ray of Light

Skin and Swim

The Next Best Thing

Time Stood Still

Be Careful With My Heart

Music

Amazing, Impressive Instant and I Deserve It

American Life

Nobody Knows Me

COAD

Forbidden Love and How High

Hard Candy

Devil, Latte, Across the Sky and Beat Goes On

MDNA

I'm a Sinner, Love Spent, Masterpiece

Rebel Heart

Rebel Heart, Veni Vedi Veci, Iconic, Queen and Unapologetic Bitch

â–ºMadonna

â–ºLike a Virgin

Over And Over

â–ºTrue Blue

Where's The Party

â–ºLike a Prayer

Promise To Try

â–ºErotica

Words

â–ºBedtime Stories

â–ºRay of Light

Swim

â–ºMusic

Impressive Instant

Amazing

â–ºAmerican Life

Easy Ride

â–ºConfessions On A Dancefloor

Let It Will Be

â–ºHard Candy

Beat Goes On

She's Not Me

â–ºMDNA

Love Spent

Some Girls

I'm Addicted

â–ºRebel Heart

Rebel Heart

Unapologetic Bitch

No one thinks Candy Shop then ? Ha ha :)) i hate that song anyway but M clearly loves it ?

If i ever get to ask a direct question it would be why no video for Rescue Me ? It has always bothered me ? Anyway songs that i would love to have had singles and videos too are ?

Falling Free(Still one of my favourites - a black and white video filmed in Paris or Florence would have been perfect)

Words, Dance 2nite, Physical Attraction, Over & Over(I think this was released as a limited single in Italy though ?), Wheres The Party, Spanish Eyes, Supernatural, Warning Signs(Just to hear this song would be a dream)Hes A Man, I Deserve It, La Pettite Jeune Fille, Graffitti Heart, Hold Tight, Fighting Spirit 

some random ones there but i love them all(some more than an actual singles)

Im very happy Bad Girl is my username for the moment too :))

All early albums had perfect singles imo

â–ºMusic:

Paradise (Not For Me)

â–ºAmerican Life:

â–ºConfessions:

Future Lovers - with a horsey video like on the tour :)

â–ºHard Candy:

meh

â–ºMDNA:

Love Spent

â–ºRebel Heart:

Rebel Heart (the more polished version with beats and strings not the acoustic album version) - Could and TBH should've lead single.

Unapologetic Bitch but it would've been better with a FT

I've been listening to Madonna's whole discography again this week and it let me thinking...

In your opinion, what songs from Madonna's albums should've been singles? 

In my opinion:

â–ºMadonna: The First Album:

â–ºLike a Virgin

For me, they're both have the correct single choice.

â–ºTrue Blue:

Where's the Party

White Heat

â–ºLike a Prayer:

Promise to Try

â–ºErotica:

Thief of Hearts

In This Life

Secret Garden

â–ºBedtime Stories:

Correct single choice. 

â–ºRay of Light:

Sky fits Heaven

Mer Girl

â–ºMusic:

I Deserve it

Nobody's Perfect

â–ºAmerican Life:

Intervention

X- Static Process

(I should also mention that I wanted this album to have been a visual album.)

â–ºConfessions:

Future Lovers

Forbidden Love

Isaac

Fighting Spirit

â–ºHard Candy:

Heartbeat

She's Not Me

[Across the Sky -- Leaked Demo that should have been on the album tracklist]

â–ºMDNA:

Love Spent

Masterpiece

Falling Free

â–ºRebel Heart:

Unapologetic Bitch

Iconic

Holy Water

Inside Out

Joan of Arc

And I think that's it! What are your choices?  :smuglaugh:  :benice:

Maybe we should start a thread - songs that shouldnt have been singles ? I can think of a few of those ? :))

All of the singles released in the 80's was OK, none of the others songs from those albums would sell better.

In the 90's I think that it would be great if "Skin" would be a single, but I wouldn't change it for any other instead, so releasing the sixth single is pointless.

00's - definately "Impressive Instant"! This song is craaazyyy! It fits perfectly after "Music", would be massive hit! Also, as many of you, I think that "Nothing Fails" DESERVES a proper music video, but for me singles from "American Life" were chosen rightly. The same situation is with "COADF", I like the singles, but let's be honest - every song is as goog as it could be a single.

The problem starts with "Hard Candy" and continues to "Rebel Heart". So here are my top songs that I'd put as a singles:

- "4 Minutes" (OK, I don't like it, but it's pretty catchy)

- "Miles Away" (maybe would be a hit as a second single with a proper video)

- "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" (a modern pop ballad - why not?)

- "Masterpiece" (this song won a Golden Globe, even had a chart performance with a lack of promotion - what's wrong with you, Madonna?!)

- "I'm Addicted" (I just love this song, OMG, can you imagine it with a strange, dark, odd video?)

- "Love Spent" (a radio hit, but more ambitious than "GMAYL", or "TUTR")

- "Gang Bang" (Tarantino video, wild Madonna with a gun, we all dream about it...)

- "Beautiful Killer" (there's no chance for the fifth single, but it such a shame this song almost dissapeared on the second disc...)

- "Living For Love" (it was perfect)

- "Ghosttown" (again, the song was on point, not fair it didn't succeed)

- "Unapologetic Bitch" (instead of contoversial "BIM", a great song with a summer vibe)

- "Iconic" (those lyrics <3  even with a video from RHT backdrop)

But that's only my opinion :)

â–ºLike A Virgin era: INTO THE GROOVE (as a reminder, this song was not released as a single in the USA except as the b-side or double A side for ANGEL.  This was a major mistake and a #1 loss for Madonna.  There were more of these mistakes to come but this was the first.

â–ºErotica:

Thief of Hearts/Words - deeper did pretty well for her so she shouldve stuck to the club bangers

â–ºBedtime Stories:

This a tricky one - I feel like as a followup to Take a Bow she shouldve just rode the babyface wave and released Forbidden Love as the follow-up to Take A Bow.  To this day, one of my favorite M songs and in the US the general audience was loving Madonna/Babyface.  Seemed like an easy one.

â–ºRay of Light:

Ray Of Light:  You may be wondering why i put this on here.  This single was not released properly and lost its chance at debuting at #1 - Dont quote me on these dates but the single came to radio around April I believe.  The physical single didnt hit stores till July!!  It was a major fail.  Remember this period of time, singles purchased at a store weighed heavily on how a song charted.  She lost her other #1.

Nothing Really Matters: I really don't know how this song would have done but it was promoted exactly like the ray of light single.  released to radio in Feb and didnt get a physical release till several months later.

â–ºAustin Powers - BEAUTIFUL STRANGER - no US release - without a physical single for sale this song still hit top 20 in the US.  This would have been an easy top 10 for her and maybe even #1.

â–ºNext Best/MUSIC: American Pie - no US release - without a physical single for sale this song still hit top 30 in the US.  This would have been an easy top 10 for her and maybe even #1.

â–ºAmerican Life:

Nothing Fails (should have had a video) - MAJOR LOSS - this should have been the 2nd single with video.  Hollywood was a major dud and not single material - didnt even chart in the US.  For me Love Profusion is one of the worst songs on the album and was shocked this got a video and NF's didnt.

Nobody Knows Me - may not have been huge for her but definitely would have liked to see this as a single over Hollywood or Love Profusion.

â–ºConfessions:

Get Together - this was another loss for her - improperly released single - should have been a heavily promoted with proper video 3rd single.

â–ºHard Candy:

Heartbeat - i would have picked this song instead of Give It 2 Me OR Miles Away.

â–ºMDNA:

Love Spent - Instead of Gimme all your love, this should have been the 2nd single after Girl Gone Wild.

Im Addicted - Love this track and I would have just released this because its quintessential classic madonna.

â–ºRebel Heart:

Unapologetic Bitch - think this should have been an easy single (thought not a song I love.)

Madonna: Physical Attraction should have been its own single.

Like a Virgin: Over and Over should have got a full release.

True Blue: Where's the Party should have got a full release.

Like a Prayer: Perfect as it is.

I'm Breathless: Two singles were enough for this album.

Erotica: I guess either "Why's It So Hard" or "Words" could have worked as a single, but six singles were largely enough.

Bedtime Stories: Inside of Me should have been a single. "Survival", "Love Tried to Welcome Me", "Forbidden Love" and "Don't Stop" could have also worked as singles (SUCH A MISSED OPPORTUNITY!!)

Ray of Light: "Skin" might have seen some success in Europe, but I actually think that the 5 international singles were perfect as they were.

Music: I Deserve It should have been the fourth single. To me, it would have made a better connection at radio and with the public than "Impressive Instant", which could have still also worked as a single.

American Life: The album didn't had any real single-worthy song to begin with, and I don't think that a fifth single would have saved the album from flopping. A reworked version of "Nobody Knows Me" could have been a cool single I guess?

Confessions on a Dance Floor: I think there was a good amount of singles for this album. If there had been a fifth single for this album, I think "Forbidden Love" should have been it.

Hard Candy: "Candy Shop" should have been the lead single. "Heartbeat" could have also worked as a single I guess, but 3 singles were enough for this album I think.

MDNA: "Turn Up the Radio" should have been the lead single. I'm Addicted should have been a single too. "Beautiful Killer" could have also worked, along with a cool, stylized video, but this would have had never happened since it's a bonus track.

Rebel Heart: She tried everything to not make this album flop but unfortunately, the damage was already done due to the leaks and ageism by radio stations which refused to play her songs. It's a shame, because I think that "Devil Pray" and even "Inside Out" could have worked as singles.

• 3 months later...

I think we have to keep in mind, singles were meant to grab more casual listeners and were radio friendly. Songs like "Secret Garden", "White Heat", "Sky Fits Heaven", "Heartbeat", etc, just doesn't scream that for me. But I would agree that "Where's The Party" would definitely made a perfect single. Probably would have become one if, "Who's That Girl" project wasn't released. Radio was already playing it.

My choices...

These two would have been top 10 hits if released. She was unstoppable at this point.

"Stay" from Like A Virgin

"Where's The Party" from True Blue

Probably wouldn't have been huge hits for her.

"Why's It So Hard" and/or "In This Life"

"Forbidden Love" and/or "Don't Stop"

"Swim"

May have been a top ten for her:

"Amazing" from Music

Probably wouldn't have been a big hits:

"Nothing Fails" from American Life

"Push" from COADF

May have been a decent hit for her if followed up as a second or third single.

"Devil Wouldn't Have Recognized You" from Hard Candy

Probably wouldn't have done well in the charts.

"Dance Tonight" from Hard Candy

"Gang Bang" should have been Madonna's "Thriller". It should have had an epic video. It wouldn't have made a good radio single, but visually it could have scored some attention towards MDNA

Rebel Heart:

"Joan of Arc"

"Addicted" (should have been part of the main album)

"Rebel Heart" (should have been hugely promoted during the tour if not used footage from the tour as a video).

I agree with mostly everything, especially the Gang Bang video. But I feel she has made up for this by doing a great live of it during the MDNA Tour.

Masterpiece, I'll NEVER understand why it hasn't had a great video too.

Time I guess, the tour rehearsals. The radio problem.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I agree with mostly everything, especially the Gang Bang video. But I feel she has made up for this by doing a great live of it during the MDNA Tour.

Masterpiece, I'll NEVER understand why it hasn't had a great video too.

Time I guess, the tour rehearsals. The radio problem.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Well, she took that idea for the video (hoping to rope Tarentino to direct) and took it to stage, but a video would have been hot.  

I was hoping the video would happen.  If Tarentino was willing, I'm sure it would have been badass and probably bring far more attention to MDNA.  Superbowl was great, but it didn't really bring much attention to the album.  But by then, they were trying to sell concert tickets.

â–ºTrue Blue:

Where's the Party

love makes the world around 

â–ºLike a Prayer:

spanisch eyes with a killer video 

â–ºErotica:

Thief of Hearts with a great dance video and remixes 

words 

â–ºBedtime Stories:

Don't stop 

â–ºRay of Light:

Skin

Sky fits Heaven

â–ºMusic:

impressive instant 

Amazing 

â–ºAmerican Life:

nobody' knows me 

â–ºConfessions:

Future Lovers

Forbidden Love

Isaac

â–ºHard Candy:

Devil would'n recognize you 

she is not me 

â–ºMDNA:

gang bang 

addicted 

Love Spent

Masterpiece

â–ºRebel Heart:

rebel heart ( avicii remix )

whas all over me ( avicii remix )

inside out 

joan of arc 

• 1 month later...

Madonna: Physical Attraction

Like a virgin: Over and Over 

True Blue: Where's the Party

Like a Prayer: Till Death Do Us Part and Spanish Eyes

I'm Breathless: He's a Man

Erotica: thief of hearts ( would be a club banger with remixes )

Bedtime Stories: Don't Stop 

Ray of Light: skin and Sky Fits Heaven 

Music: impressive instant , Amazing and Runaway Lover

American Life: Nobody Knows Me and Intervention

Confessions: forbidden love  , let it will be 

Hard Candy: Devil woun't recognize me 

MDNA: Gang Bang , Addicted and Masterpiece

Rebel Heart: iconic ,inside out and  Messiah