Street Smart 1985/86 Musical

me1981

I came across this while doing some research on Madonna. This article if from July 8th 1985, various papers reported this with the same basic info.

post-729-0-33569700-1506399979_thumb.jpg

There are dozens of articles from different sources with quotes from producer Howard Rosenman. Talk started in March 1985 and was still going through early 1986 (With the last start date mentioned as fall 1986)

I can't find any movie that even remotely resembles this film (basically a new musical adaptation of Oliver Twist) So assume it never got made.

What of the demo that was talked about? Does such a thing exist? In all my years as a fan I never came across any article that discusses this project or any unheard of music from Madonna. Granted this would not be her music, it was a demo of songs from the film (which is why it may be so rare) Then again why has there been no mention (that I know of) from anyone involved, such as the producers who have unheard Madonna music in their hands, does WB have it? Does it actually exist?

Until I went digging around, I had no idea such a project was ever going to happen. Since the talk of the film started in March 1985 and went at least until Spring 1986 without Madonna or her team denying involvement, I assume it was legit. 

Anyone ever heard of this film or know more?

Not "Who's That Girl".  That originally was called "Slammer" and no one from that article above was involved in "Slammer".  Also, Madonna had to work to convince to let her do the film after the failure of "Shanghai Surprise", while that article stated she was already considered.

The fact is; Madonna was considered for and offered a number of roles from films that never materialized.  I still recall the one in the late 80's where she and Demi Moore were planning to team up in a cop drama which never materialized. 

This film "Street Smart" sounds more like a musical.  I'm sure Madonna was considered, but never was officially asked or brought on.  Doesn't sound like the film ever materialized.

The Demi Moore film was in 90/91 and called Leda and Swan, it was a cop buddy comedy. It was to be produced by Joel Schumacker who went on to do Thelma and Louise. I have always wondered if Leda and Swan was an early version of that film. I guess the Sandra Bullock/Melissa McCarthy cop buddy film is probs closer as is Tango and Cash (just with men)

@@mikenmark Street Smart was to be a musical based on Oliver Twist. Definitely not Who's That Girl?

I have a big list of films Madonna was either offered or auditioned for or was rumoured to be starring in from Hair in 1977 to Hairspray in 2006. I can add them all if people are interested. I did a similar post on MTribe some years ago, but have more info now to add. 

The Demi Moore film was in 90/91 and called Leda and Swan, it was a cop buddy comedy. It was to be produced by Joel Schumacker who went on to do Thelma and Louise. I have always wondered if Leda and Swan was an early version of that film. I guess the Sandra Bullock/Melissa McCarthy cop buddy film is probs closer as is Tango and Cash (just with men)

@@mikenmark Street Smart was to be a musical based on Oliver Twist. Definitely not Who's That Girl?

I have a big list of films Madonna was either offered or auditioned for or was rumoured to be starring in from Hair in 1977 to Hairspray in 2006. I can add them all if people are interested. I did a similar post on MTribe some years ago, but have more info now to add. 

Are you saying "Leda and Swan" was the working title for the Demi and Madonna Film?  Also, Thelma and Louise came out in '91.  Joel Shumacher had nothing to do with Thelma and Louise. The film Madonna and Demi were considered for was talked about in the late 80's. If it materialized it may have been released around '90 or '91.  And I realize film scripts can be seriously altered, but Thelma and Louise was about two outlaws running from the police.

And yes, I would love to see your list of films Madonna was considered for?  I've heard many, but I'm sure since then it's escaped my mind.

Are you saying "Leda and Swan" was the working title for the Demi and Madonna Film?  Also, Thelma and Louise came out in '91.  Joel Shumacher had nothing to do with Thelma and Louise. The film Madonna and Demi were considered for was talked about in the late 80's. If it materialized it may have been released around '90 or '91.  And I realize film scripts can be seriously altered, but Thelma and Louise was about two outlaws running from the police.

And yes, I would love to see your list of films Madonna was considered for?  I've heard many, but I'm sure since then it's escaped my mind.

Yeah Leda and Swan was the working title. I could find no mention of the film or Madonna and Demi's involvement until about 1990. Do you have info earlier than that, as it would be appreciated. 

Yeah sorry I got Joel mixed up with Ridley Scott for some odd reason, lol, my bad.

Maybe there is another film Madonna and Demi were going to do together?

Leda and Swan was definitely still being talked about in Spring 1991, they even mention it was delayed due to Demi Moore's pregnancy (which is also the reason Demi pulled out of A League of Their Own), then, I think Liz Rosenberg mentions it was only in the talking stages and nothing official had been worked out. 

I will post everything I have in a couple hours

Yeah Leda and Swan was the working title. I could find no mention of the film or Madonna and Demi's involvement until about 1990. Do you have info earlier than that, as it would be appreciated. 

Yeah sorry I got Joel mixed up with Ridley Scott for some odd reason, lol, my bad.

Maybe there is another film Madonna and Demi were going to do together?

Leda and Swan was definitely still being talked about in Spring 1991, they even mention it was delayed due to Demi Moore's pregnancy (which is also the reason Demi pulled out of A League of Their Own), then, I think Liz Rosenberg mentions it was only in the talking stages and nothing official had been worked out. 

I will post everything I have in a couple hours

As I recall, late '88 a mention of Madonna and Demi teaming up in a buddy cop film.  I don't recall hearing about it anymore after that. I think it was one of those long shots that never materialized. I never heard of a title for the film.  Just heard the two were thinking of doing a film together.  I remember it was '88 because she had dark hair, and when reading about it, I envisioned, Madonna to have the same color hair. 

Here is the list. The years in brackets denote the period Madonna was attached or rumoured to be attached, not when the film was released.

Many are rumours, some with dodgy sources, lol. So I don't assume they are all true. I am sure there are many more films Madonna was asked to star in or had shown interest in, as I find more I will add them. 

Hair (1977 – 1978)

Auditions were held in the summer of 1977. Madonna was in NYC that summer studying dance at a six-week class with Alvin Ailey. So it is possible she auditioned. Apparently, she went for the role of Jeannie Ryan but I have found no credible source to back this up.

Unknown Jon Peters project (1982-1983)

Madonna stated she met Peters while auditioning for another movie he was producing (for which she didn’t get the part) No idea what film this was, Flashdance seems the most likely but I can find no mention of Madonna having auditioned. It may have been an unproduced film. Phil Ramone remembered her and took her to dinner with Jon and his then girlfriend Barbra Streisand. Madonna was then cast in Vision Quest.

Footloose (1983)

Production began April 18, 1983. Madonna auditioned for the part of Ariel, eventually played by Lori Singer, coincidentally Madonna also auditioned for a bit part in the tv series Fame, which Singer also starred in.

The Last Temptation of Christ (1983)

Martin Scorsese began auditions for the film in the Spring of 1983 (with filming originally planned for January 1984, the movie would not start principal photography until 1987) Madonna auditioned for the role of Mary Magdalene which went to Barbara Hershey. Casting director Cis Corman was taken with Madonna and told her son Richard about her. He had just finished an apprenticeship with fashion photographer Dick Avedon and was looking for subjects to shoot for his portfolio. He would do several photoshoots with Madonna throughout 1983.

Brazil (1983)

Production began Nov 21, 1983 in England. Terry Gilliam stated he considered Madonna for the role of Jill Layton (not sure if he had just heard of her and considered her or if she auditioned) Kim Greist got the role.

Sid & Nancy bio (1984)

Not sure how true this is, but apparently Alex Cox rushed his film Sid & Nancy into production when he found out Madonna and Rupert Everett were going to make a film about the pair. ETA: Apparently this was talked about in the Autumn of 1984, which is when Alex started re-working his script to get the film made.

Street Smart (1985 – 1986)

Touted as a $15 million musical re-adaptation of Oliver Twist with Madonna in the Artful Dodger role. Producer Howard Rosenman stated Madonna was on board from the beginning and along with other singers, had recorded a demo of 5 songs for the film, Vanity and Sting were to co-star. The movie was mentioned first in March 1985 and then throughout the summer and well into 1986 (with both a June or Fall 1986 start date set). The movie was never made.

Under the Cherry Moon (1985)

It was reported Prince had wanted Madonna in the part of Mary Sharon. By the summer of 1985 Madonna had dropped out, with no reason given, she was initially replaced with Susannah Melvoin from Prince’s band The Family. Susannah was then replaced with Kristin Scott-Thomas.

Pipeline (1985)

This was rumoured around the time Madonna and Sean got engaged and was to star the couple. It was set to take place in the Alaskan Oil Fields. No other info is known, unsure if it ever got made.

Ruthless People (1985)

Madonna was all set to star in the Disney/Touchstone picture as Barbara Stone, though creative differences with the directors (there were three, the same men who did Airplane) have been sighted as the reason Madonna departed. It was mentioned that everyone involved didn’t think it made sense for Danny DeVito to toss Madonna aside for another woman. It was also reported Madonna wanted Sean to star in the film.

Blind Date (1985-1986)

Madonna and Sean were reportedly already signed on to star in the film in October 1985, with a Spring 86 start date for filming. Sean dropped out and was replaced by Bruce Willis. Director Blake Edwards met with Madonna and Willis Apr 4th 1986 on the set of Moonlighting to try to work out a schedule. Willis could only film between May and July and Madonna had to finish work on True Blue so she dropped out. Edwards apparently had the script re-written after Madonna left, so it is hard to know how much of the final film with Kim Basinger and Willis resembled what Madonna had originally been attached to.

And God Created Woman (1985)

Variety reported Roger Vadim wanted Madonna for the remake of the 1956 Bridgette Bardot hit, however Vadim stated in 1986 he had never wanted her in the role. Variety is generally credible, so I wonder if Vadim mentioned Madonna’s name to get publicity for the film, or she turned him down so he back tracked. The film was released in 1988 with Rebecca DeMornay.

Libby Holman biopic (1986)

Madonna stated in an interview she wanted to make a film about the torch singer, she contacted producer Ray Stark who had already promised the role to Debra Winger

Born Yesterday Remake (1986)

Madonna stated in an interview that she wanted to do a re-make of the 1950 Judy Holliday starrer Born Yesterday. Madonna stated that Whoopi Goldberg was going to be doing it (the movie did get made with Melanie Griffith in the role)

(Thanks to booyakasha for the above two)

Edie Sedgwick Bio (1986)

It was reported Warren Beatty had wanted Madonna in the role for a film he was producing about Edie. His bio pic never got made. Sienna Miller played Edie in an unrelated film in 2006 (Factory Girl)

Dead End Street (1986)

Rumours surfaced in early 1986 that Madonna and Sean were to remake the Isreali film about a prostitute who is handpicked to star in a docudrama about life on the street and finds it hard to go back to her street life once filming ends. I have found no credible info about this, nor any details on a US version of the film ever being made.

ETA: Seems this was 100% legit, Leo Penn (Sean's father) was set to direct and it was to be Sean and Madonna's next movie (after both dropped out of Blind Date) Reports stated in October the film was scrapped (for unknown reasons)

Some Like it Hot (1986)

Mick Jagger and David Bowie were reportedly signed on to a remake of the Billy Wilder classic. It was reported both men wanted Madonna in the Monroe part. The remake was never filmed.

Siesta (1986)

Mary Lambert apparently asked Madonna to take the part of Claire but she turned it down as she did not want to appear nude. Ellen Barkin played the role. 

Evita (1986-1987)

Madonna was offered the part by producer Robert Stigwood, against Andrew Lloyd Webbers wishes. Madonna stated in an interview she wasn’t happy with the film being made as an Operetta. Oliver Stone was attached to direct in 1987, Madonna met with Stone and Webber and wanted to change the score. Stone and Webber refused and Madonna left the project in the Spring of 1987.

Blue Angel (1986-1987)

A 2nd remake of the 1930 classic with Marlene Dietrich (which was re-made in 1959), Madonna was mentioned numerous times throughout 1986 and 1987 as the lead in the pic with possible shooting to happen in 1988. At one point Diane Keaton was set to produce with Alan Parker directing.

No Man Of Her Own (1986)

Liz Smith reported in October that Madonna and Paramount were looking to re-make the 1950 Barbara Stanwyck starrer based on the novel "I Married a Dead Man"

Little Odessa (1988)

In February it was reported Demi Moore had beaten Madonna to the role of a Russian-emigre topless dancer in Joseph Koenig's film. There was a film made with the same title and plot in 1994, but no credit to Koenig, seems like the same film though.

The Fabulous Baker Boys (1988) 

Madonna was offered the part of Susie Diamond but turned it down. Michelle Pfeiffer played the role.

Goodellas (1988)

Was courted by Scorsese while starring in Speed the Plow, however Scorsese got busy with Last Temptation of Christ and Madonna ended up taking Dick Tracy instead. (Thanks to Mp1992 and Liam for info)

Triumph of the Spirit (1988) 

Madonna was seriously considering playing a role in the film (which would have seen her shave her head) Which role is unknown, though it seems Madonna chose Dick Tracy instead. Both productions began rolling in Feb 1989.

In 1988 Madonna signed a 2 year five picture deal with Columbia Pictures. This was a production deal through her company Siren Films and the first project discussed was a musical which was never made. All or most of the projects were to star Madonna. By 1990 the deal expired with nothing having been produced. 

Ghost (1989)

It was rumoured Madonna was offered or went up for the role of Molly in early 1989 but scheduling conflicts kept her from the role. The movie was released in 1990 with Demi Moore in the role. Shooting began in August 1989.

The Godfather III (1989)

In August industry talk suggested that Madonna was up for the part of either Grace Damiani a photo journalist or Mary Corleone (both were mentioned) and shooting was to begin in NY and Italy around November. Talks were still going as late as November 1989 and Madonna auditioned for a part (is that maybe why she went with the brunette bob at the end of 89) Coppola thought she was great, however the part of Grace was taken by Bridget Fonda and the character re-named Grace Hamilton, the part of Mary was first taken by Winona Ryder and then infamously by Coppola's daughter Sophia. In both cases the characters were played by younger actors.

Jacob's Ladder (1989)

Madonna reportedly pursued the film heavily in 1989 and auditioned twice but lost the role to Elizabeth Pena. The movie began production in Sep 1989.

Blessing in Disguise (1989 - 1990)

First announced in December, this was one of many scripts developed through Madonna's Siren Pictures deal with Columbia. To quote Madonna â€œIt’s a serious movie, about people suspended in a state of denial,†She was to play a woman who returns to visit her Midwestern family at the funeral of her brother and heal the relationships with her mother and sister. Warren Beatty was to produce and filming was to begin in Fall 1990, talk was strong as late as June 1990 but nothing was stated after that. Was never made as far as I know.

Grafitti Bridge (1989)

Prince again wanted Madonna to star with him. Madonna apparently told him the script was a piece of shit.

Evita (1990)

Once again Madonna was attached to the project in June through Disney/Touchstone. Jeremy Irons was also attached as Juan Peron and Oliver Stone was to direct with an initial start in Fall 1990 and then Spring 1991. I assume Antonio was also in talks as Che since he and Madonna were hanging around together in LA in 1991. Madonna stated Disney no longer wanted to spend big money on films and she refused to make Evita on a smaller budget.

Boxing Helena (1990 – 1991)

In late 1990 Madonna was attached and all but ready to start shooting but pulled out in Jan 1991 citing exhaustion. Kim Basinger took over and famously quit and was sued for breach of contract. Sherilyn Fenn took the part.

Leda & Swan (1990 – 1991)

In October, it was suggested Madonna and Demi Moore would play the leads in this action cop buddy comedy with director Joel Schumacher and was set to roll in April 1991. It was later dismissed as only "in the talking" stages of production. The movie was never made.

Frida Kahlo Biopic (1991 – 1996)

In 1991 Madonna made plans to produce and star in a film about Frida's life. She apparently agreed to go to Cannes partly to promote Truth or Dare and partly to hustle money for her dream project. In 1996 talk was still circling about Madonna's plans for the movie. In 1997 Salma Hayek scored the role and Madonna gave up on making her film version.

The Bodyguard (1990 – 1991)

Kevin Costner was seriously looking to cast Madonna as Rachel Marron. In 1990, he went to see Madonna's Blond Ambition tour as research, after Truth or Dare came out, Kevin was so annoyed by Madonna’s reaction to his comment about her show being neat that he dropped her from consideration. Rumour has it Madonna tried to mend the rift and score the part but Kevin wasn't interested (not sure how true that is) Whitney Houston got the part. Kevin in fact waited a year for Whitney to be free (she was touring at the time)

Batman Returns (1991)

Madonna was heavily considered for the role of Selina Kyle/Catwoman but turned it down. Michelle Pfeiffer scored the role. It has been stated Madonna auditioned with Tim Burton and Christopher Walken.

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (1991)

Madonna was linked to a role in the Gus Van-Sant film. Not sure if she was ever seriously attached to the film though.

Angie (1992)

In November Madonna was in talks to play Angie and the deal was all but done. By December she was out since the rehearsals were during production of Snake Eyes (Dangerous Game) Madonna refused to juggle and felt she needed the four weeks rehearsal to do the role justice, so she bowed out. Geena Davis took the role.

Tank Girl (1994)

Liz Smith reported in April 1994 that Emily Lloyd had scored the lead and that Madonna had wanted it. Unsure if Madonna auditioned or was considered in any real way. Lori Petty eventually played the role, unsure what happened to Ms Lloyd.

(Thanks @@mikenmark for this one)

Casino (1994)

Madonna was in a neck and neck race with Sharon Stone for the role of Ginger, but Stone scored the part. Filming began in Sep 94.

Showgirls (1994 - 1995)

Producers were hoping they could score Madonna in the part of Cristal Connors. Unsure if this was just a hopeful dream, or if Madonna was actually contacted seriously about the role.

Breaking the Waves (1995)

Lars Von Trier had written the part of Bess McNeil with Madonna in mind, however she turned down the role, filming started in August with Emily Watson. Most likely it conflicted with Evita pre-production as well.

Batman Triumphant (1996)

A script was written and Madonna's name was mentioned to play Harley Quinn but the project never got off the ground as WB changed tack and wanted to make a darker more serious Batman movie. No idea if Madonna was approached with this at all. 

Tina Modotti Biopic (1997)

Madonna signed a deal with Mick Jagger's Jagged Films co in Feb 1997 to portray the photographer/artist/political activist. Gabriel Byrne was also attached as an actor and producer. 

Chicago (1997)

Madonna was attached in June 1997 with Goldie Hawn and possibly Rosie O' Donnell. She was set to play Velma Kelly, Catherine Zeta Jones played the part in the 2002 film.

RKO 281 (1997)

In the Summer of ‘97 Madonna was attached to the project when it was to be a film epic. Also attached were Meryl Streep and Gene Hackman. By 1998 Madonna was dropped when the film epic was downsized to a HBO tv movie. It was rumoured Madonna would play the Melanie Griffith role of Marion Davies. 

Ambrose Chapel (1998)

Brad Pitt, Liam Neeson and a few others were set to star with Madonna in the Brian DePalma written and directed film that never got made.

50 Violins (Music of the Heart) (1998)

Madonna was in pre-production beginning May 1998 for the movie about Roberta Tzavaris. She learned violin and went brunette for the part. On July 17 Madonna quit, I have only ever heard she had creative differences with Wes Craven. Meryl Streep played the role.

Kingdom Come (1999)

In May, director Michael Winterbottom announced Madonna was attached to an adaptation of the Thomas Hardy novel “The Mayor of Casterbridgeâ€. Winona Ryder was also mentioned for a part. This seems to have only gotten to the "in talks" stage before Madonna backed out. 

Quadrille (1999)

October 7th 1999 it was reported Madonna would star in the film adaptation of the Noel Coward play. Several film versions exist.

Long Hair (2000)

In Sep, it was reported that Madonna's Mad Guy Films had optioned a script called 'Long Hair' by Jeff Copeland. She was thinking about starring and producing. Film was about a family living in 70's Missouri. Described as a Love story and coming of age story. As far as I know it never got made.

Madagascar (2001)

In May, Madonna was listed as one of many stars planned to voice a character in the Dream Works zoo film Madagascar, talks grew by September. Madonna was set to voice Gloria the Hippo

Hairspray (2006)

Madonna was reportedly considered for the role of Velma Von Tussle in the musical version. Michelle Pfeiffer played the part.

As I recall, late '88 a mention of Madonna and Demi teaming up in a buddy cop film.  I don't recall hearing about it anymore after that. I think it was one of those long shots that never materialized. I never heard of a title for the film.  Just heard the two were thinking of doing a film together.  I remember it was '88 because she had dark hair, and when reading about it, I envisioned, Madonna to have the same color hair. 

I will have a look around. As above the first mention I found was October 1990. If I can find new info I will update. Might have been something she was developing through Siren/Columbia.

ETA: So I just found another film both Madonna and Demi were up for in 1988 called Little Odessa. I will add it to the list. 

Here is the list. The years in brackets denote the period Madonna was attached or rumoured to be attached, not when the film was released.

Many are rumours, some with dodgy sources, lol. So I don't assume they are all true. I am sure there are many more films Madonna was asked to star in or had shown interest in, as I find more I will add them. 

Hair (1977 – 1978)

Auditions were held in the summer of 1977. Madonna was in NYC that summer studying dance at a six-week class with Alvin Ailey. So it is possible she auditioned. Apparently, she went for the role of Jeannie Ryan but I have found no credible source to back this up.

Unknown Jon Peters project (1982-1983)

Madonna stated she met Peters while auditioning for another movie he was producing (for which she didn’t get the part) No idea what film this was, Flashdance seems the most likely but I can find no mention of Madonna having auditioned. It may have been an unproduced film. Phil Ramone remembered her and took her to dinner with Jon and his then girlfriend Barbra Streisand. Madonna was then cast in Vision Quest.

Footloose (1983)

Production began April 18, 1983. Madonna auditioned for the part of Ariel, eventually played by Lori Singer, coincidentally Madonna also auditioned for a bit part in the tv series Fame, which Singer also starred in.

The Last Temptation of Christ (1983)

Martin Scorsese began auditions for the film in the Spring of 1983 (with filming originally planned for January 1984, the movie would not start principal photography until 1987) Madonna auditioned for the role of Mary Magdalene which went to Barbara Hershey. Casting director Cis Corman was taken with Madonna and told her son Richard about her. He had just finished an apprenticeship with fashion photographer Dick Avedon and was looking for subjects to shoot for his portfolio. He would do several photoshoots with Madonna throughout 1983.

Brazil (1983)

Production began Nov 21, 1983 in England. Terry Gilliam stated he considered Madonna for the role of Jill Layton (not sure if he had just heard of her and considered her or if she auditioned) Kim Greist got the role.

Street Smart (1985 – 1986)

Touted as a $15 million musical re-adaptation of Oliver Twist with Madonna in the Artful Dodger role. Producer Howard Rosenman stated Madonna was on board from the beginning and along with other singers, had recorded a demo of 5 songs for the film, Vanity and Sting were to co-star. The movie was mentioned first in March 1985 and then throughout the summer and well into 1986 (with both a June or Fall 1986 start date set). The movie was never made.

Under the Cherry Moon (1985)

It was reported Prince had wanted Madonna in the part of Mary Sharon. By the summer of 1985 Madonna had dropped out, with no reason given, she was initially replaced with Susannah Melvoin from Prince’s band The Family. Susannah was then replaced with Kristin Scott-Thomas.

Pipeline (1985)

This was rumoured around the time Madonna and Sean got engaged and was to star the couple. It was set to take place in the Alaskan Oil Fields. No other info is known, unsure if it ever got made.

Ruthless People (1985)

Madonna was all set to star in the Disney/Touchstone picture as Barbara Stone, though creative differences with the directors (there were three, the same men who did Airplane) have been sighted as the reason Madonna departed. It was mentioned that everyone involved didn’t think it made sense for Danny DeVito to toss Madonna aside for another woman. It was also reported Madonna wanted Sean to star in the film.

Sid & Nancy bio (1985)

Not sure how true this is, but apparently Alex Cox rushed his film Sid & Nancy into production when he found out Madonna and Rupert Everett were going to make a film about the pair.

Blind Date (1985-1986)

Madonna and Sean were reportedly already signed on to star in the film in October 1985, with a Spring 86 start date for filming. Sean dropped out and was replaced by Bruce Willis. Director Blake Edwards met with Madonna and Willis Apr 4th 1986 on the set of Moonlighting to try to work out a schedule. Willis could only film between May and July and Madonna had to finish work on True Blue so she dropped out. Edwards apparently had the script re-written after Madonna left, so it is hard to know how much of the final film with Kim Basinger and Willis resembled what Madonna had originally been attached to.

And God Created Woman (1985)

Variety reported Roger Vadim wanted Madonna for the remake of the 1956 Bridgette Bardot hit, however Vadim stated in 1986 he had never wanted her in the role. Variety is generally credible, so I wonder if Vadim mentioned Madonna’s name to get publicity for the film, or she turned him down so he back tracked. The film was released in 1988 with Rebecca DeMornay.

Edie Sedgwick Bio (1986)

It was reported Warren Beatty had wanted Madonna in the role for a film he was producing about Edie. His bio pic never got made. Sienna Miller played Edie in an unrelated film in 2006 (Factory Girl)

Dead End Street (1986)

Rumours surfaced in early 1986 that Madonna and Sean were to remake the Isreali film about a prostitute who is handpicked to star in a docudrama about life on the street and finds it hard to go back to her street life once filming ends. I have found no credible info about this, nor any details on a US version of the film ever being made.

Siesta (1986)

Mary Lambert apparently asked Madonna to take the part of Claire but she turned it down as she did not want to appear nude. Ellen Barkin played the role. 

Evita (1986-1987)

Madonna was offered the part by producer Robert Stigwood, against Andrew Lloyd Webbers wishes. Madonna stated in an interview she wasn’t happy with the film being made as an Operetta. Oliver Stone was attached to direct in 1987, Madonna met with Stone and Webber and wanted to change the score. Stone and Webber refused and Madonna left the project in the Spring of 1987.

Blue Angel (1986-1987)

A 2nd remake of the 1930 classic with Marlene Dietrich (which was re-made in 1959), Madonna was mentioned numerous times throughout 1986 and 1987 as the lead in the pic with possible shooting to happen in 1988. At one point Diane Keaton was set to produce with Alan Parker directing.

No Man Of Her Own (1986)

Liz Smith reported in October that Madonna and Paramount were looking to re-make the 1950 Barbara Stanwyck starrer based on the novel "I Married a Dead Man"

Little Odessa (1988)

In February it was reported Demi Moore had beaten Madonna to the role of a Russian-emigre topless dancer in Joseph Koenig's film. There was a film made with the same title and plot in 1994, but no credit to Koenig, seems like the same film though.

The Fabulous Baker Boys (1988) 

Madonna was offered the part of Susie Diamond but turned it down. Michelle Pfeiffer played the role.

Goodellas (1988)

Was courted by Scorsese while starring in Speed the Plow, however Scorsese got busy with Last Temptation of Christ and Madonna ended up taking Dick Tracy instead. (Thanks to Mp1992 and Liam for info)

Triumph of the Spirit (1988) 

Madonna was seriously considering playing a role in the film (which would have seen her shave her head) Which role is unknown, though it seems Madonna chose Dick Tracy instead. Both productions began rolling in Feb 1989.

In 1988 Madonna signed a 2 year five picture deal with Columbia Pictures. This was a production deal through her company Siren Films and the first project discussed was a musical which was never made. All or most of the projects were to star Madonna. By 1990 the deal expired with nothing having been produced. 

Ghost (1989)

It was rumoured Madonna was offered or went up for the role of Molly in early 1989 but scheduling conflicts kept her from the role. The movie was released in 1990 with Demi Moore in the role. Shooting began in August 1989.

The Godfather III (1989)

In August industry talk suggested that Madonna was up for the part of either Grace Damiani a photo journalist or Mary Corleone (both were mentioned) and shooting was to begin in NY and Italy around November. Talks were still going as late as November 1989 and Madonna auditioned for a part (is that maybe why she went with the brunette bob at the end of 89) Coppola thought she was great, however the part of Grace was taken by Bridget Fonda and the character re-named Grace Hamilton, the part of Mary was first taken by Winona Ryder and then infamously by Coppola's daughter Sophia. In both cases the characters were played by younger actors.

Jacob's Ladder (1989)

Madonna reportedly pursued the film heavily in 1989 and auditioned twice but lost the role to Elizabeth Pena. The movie began production in Sep 1989.

Blessing in Disguise (1989 - 1990)

First announced in December, this was one of many scripts developed through Madonna's Siren Pictures deal with Columbia. To quote Madonna â€œIt’s a serious movie, about people suspended in a state of denial,†She was to play a woman who returns to visit her Midwestern family at the funeral of her brother and heal the relationships with her mother and sister. Warren Beatty was to produce and filming was to begin in Fall 1990, talk was strong as late as June 1990 but nothing was stated after that. Was never made as far as I know.

Grafitti Bridge (1989)

Prince again wanted Madonna to star with him. Madonna apparently told him the script was a piece of shit.

Evita (1990)

Once again Madonna was attached to the project in June through Disney/Touchstone. Jeremy Irons was also attached as Juan Peron and Oliver Stone was to direct with an initial start in Fall 1990 and then Spring 1991. I assume Antonio was also in talks as Che since he and Madonna were hanging around together in LA in 1991. Madonna stated Disney no longer wanted to spend big money on films and she refused to make Evita on a smaller budget.

Boxing Helena (1990 – 1991)

In late 1990 Madonna was attached and all but ready to start shooting but pulled out in Jan 1991 citing exhaustion. Kim Basinger took over and famously quit and was sued for breach of contract. Sherilyn Fenn took the part.

Leda & Swan (1990 – 1991)

In October, it was suggested Madonna and Demi Moore would play the leads in this action cop buddy comedy with director Joel Schumacher and was set to roll in April 1991. It was later dismissed as only "in the talking" stages of production. The movie was never made.

Frida Kahlo Biopic (1991 – 1996)

In 1991 Madonna made plans to produce and star in a film about Frida's life. She apparently agreed to go to Cannes partly to promote Truth or Dare and partly to hustle money for her dream project. In 1996 talk was still circling about Madonna's plans for the movie. In 1997 Salma Hayek scored the role and Madonna gave up on making her film version.

The Bodyguard (1990 – 1991)

Kevin Costner was seriously looking to cast Madonna as Rachel Marron. In 1990, he went to see Madonna's Blond Ambition tour as research, after Truth or Dare came out, Kevin was so annoyed by Madonna’s reaction to his comment about her show being neat that he dropped her from consideration. Rumour has it Madonna tried to mend the rift and score the part but Kevin wasn't interested (not sure how true that is) Whitney Houston got the part. Kevin in fact waited a year for Whitney to be free (she was touring at the time)

Batman Returns (1991)

Madonna was heavily considered for the role of Selina Kyle/Catwoman but turned it down. Michelle Pfeiffer scored the role. It has been stated Madonna auditioned with Tim Burton and Christopher Walken.

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (1991)

Madonna was linked to a role in the Gus Van-Sant film. Not sure if she was ever seriously attached to the film though.

Angie (1992)

In November Madonna was in talks to play Angie and the deal was all but done. By December she was out since the rehearsals were during production of Snake Eyes (Dangerous Game) Madonna refused to juggle and felt she needed the four weeks rehearsal to do the role justice, so she bowed out. Geena Davis took the role.

Casino (1994)

Madonna was in a neck and neck race with Sharon Stone for the role of Ginger, but Stone scored the part. Filming began in Sep 94.

Breaking the Waves (1995)

Lars Von Trier had written the part of Bess McNeil with Madonna in mind, however she turned down the role, filming started in August with Emily Watson. Most likely it conflicted with Evita pre-production as well.

Batman Triumphant (1996)

A script was written and Madonna's name was mentioned to play Harley Quinn but the project never got off the ground as WB changed tack and wanted to make a darker more serious Batman movie. No idea if Madonna was approached with this at all. 

Tina Modotti Biopic (1997)

Madonna signed a deal with Mick Jagger's Jagged Films co in Feb 1997 to portray the photographer/artist/political activist. Gabriel Byrne was also attached as an actor and producer. 

Chicago (1997)

Madonna was attached in June 1997 with Goldie Hawn and possibly Rosie O' Donnell. She was set to play Velma Kelly, Catherine Zeta Jones played the part in the 2002 film.

RKO 281 (1997)

In the Summer of ‘97 Madonna was attached to the project when it was to be a film epic. Also attached were Meryl Streep and Gene Hackman. By 1998 Madonna was dropped when the film epic was downsized to a HBO tv movie. It was rumoured Madonna would play the Melanie Griffith role of Marion Davies. 

Ambrose Chapel (1998)

Brad Pitt, Liam Neeson and a few others were set to star with Madonna in the Brian DePalma written and directed film that never got made.

50 Violins (Music of the Heart) (1998)

Madonna was in pre-production beginning May 1998 for the movie about Roberta Tzavaris. She learned violin and went brunette for the part. On July 17 Madonna quit, I have only ever heard she had creative differences with Wes Craven. Meryl Streep played the role.

Kingdom Come (1999)

In May, director Michael Winterbottom announced Madonna was attached to an adaptation of the Thomas Hardy novel “The Mayor of Casterbridgeâ€. Winona Ryder was also mentioned for a part. This seems to have only gotten to the "in talks" stage before Madonna backed out. 

Quadrille (1999)

October 7th 1999 it was reported Madonna would star in the film adaptation of the Noel Coward play. Several film versions exist.

Long Hair (2000)

In Sep, it was reported that Madonna's Mad Guy Films had optioned a script called 'Long Hair' by Jeff Copeland. She was thinking about starring and producing. Film was about a family living in 70's Missouri. Described as a Love story and coming of age story. As far as I know it never got made.

Madagascar (2001)

In May, Madonna was listed as one of many stars planned to voice a character in the Dream Works zoo film Madagascar, talks grew by September. Madonna was set to voice Gloria the Hippo

Hairspray (2006)

Madonna was reportedly considered for the role of Velma Von Tussle in the musical version. Michelle Pfeiffer played the part.

Thank you!

I found this:

Although Madonna has been offered many movie projects, some of the roles she has coveted have eluded her. â€œI read the story of the torch singer Libby Holman and wanted to do her biography so badly,†she said. â€œI called up the producer Ray Stark, who owned it, but he said he had already promised it to Debra Winger. I was also interested in doing a remake of Judy Holliday’s Born Yesterday, but Whoopi Goldberg is supposed to be doing it.â€

MADONNA INTERVIEW : SEVENTEEN (OCTOBER 1986)

http://allaboutmadonna.com/madonna-library/madonna-interview-seventeen-october-1986

@@me1981 thank you very much!

I remember many of these rumors and projects, such as Boxing Helena, others I didn't know.

I wonder: Is PIPELINE in any way related with the unreleased True Blue track?

Not sure how far along Pipeline got, it was only rumoured once, at the same time as Madonna and Sean Penn's engagement was announced. There were scarce details and no follow-up. Maybe her attachment helped in the creation of the song, no idea, never seen any source suggest it was written for a movie.

Wow. I never realised there were so many! I've got something in the back of my mind saying she was linked to Tank Girl before Lori Petty (I could be wrong, I've got an odd memory)

Never heard that, but very possible. I will hunt around and see if I can find anything. I totally forgot about one from that time period, Showgirls, lol. Apparently Madonna was wanted for the part of Cristal Connors. 

ETA: @mikenmark, good memory. Liz Smith reported Madonna did in fact want the main role in tank girl. Will add it.

There's a movie Colors 1988, about a gang life in L.A., starring Robert Duvall and Sean Penn as partners on the LAPD's gang crime division. Sean's girlfriend name is Louisa! Maybe Madonna was offered for the role... But I believe she was inspired by the movie in Spanish Eyes, the song tells a story from the Colors

• 4 weeks later...

@@me1981 If I remember correctly, Spotlight and Work Your Fingers to the Bone were both written during the time she was writing with Stephen Bray for "True Blue." Although I am not sure "Fingers" was meant for the album. Bray confirmed writing "Working My Fingers To The Bone" with Madonna but was never registered with the Library of Congress. He was asked if this was an early version of "Where's The Party" since that song features a similar theme, and he replied "No, that concept was already worked out with Pat Leonard, and then I was brought in to help finish it." Bray does have a tape of Madonna singing "Working My Fingers To The Bone", but it has never been released in any form.  Bray planned to release this song on his own along with a few other demos from over the years on a "Pre-Madonna 2," but wasn't permitted to do so.

• 2 weeks later...