Drowned World Tour AUGUST 25th SHOW

cosmicarlo818

We all know of the August 26, 2001 HBO broadcast... but I was told from another website by a Madonna enthusiast that the August 25th show was also TAPED as a BACKUP SHOW just in case anything went wrong on the August 26th show? Is this true? Because she looked so much better with that HAIR and better makeup based on the supposed press photos from the said August 25th show below. Why they couldn’t have chosen this show for the broadcast, I don’t understand why... cause she looked fierce!

So my question is does anyone actually know or can confirm that there exists an HBO backup of the broadcasted show which is the August 25th show? If so does anyone personally have it or has anyone heard of a leak of the backup show? Lol I’m just so obsessed with seeing a full DWT show with that gorgeous Music-era straight hair and better vibrant makeup!

Here are the press photos of that show on August 25th, 2001 at the Palace of Auburn Hills in Detroit.

791dd738e9e5dcb7e0c790e8596a85fe.jpg

ef12a27577d65ec209100fac6ae4ec75.jpg

0b172226ccd85cff0597c270021f2359.jpg

Most of my obsession of this tour is due to my discontent of the date HBO chose for the filming of the TV broadcast. While many are okay with it, I was never satisfied and/or pleased with her hair and makeup on the August 26th HBO broadcast! Dare I say it she looked less vibrant, unfriendly/serious, and even haggard! The majority of the tour she donned that fierce straightened out hair. I personally preferred that hair and look for most of the DWT dates since she looked so GORGEOUS with it.

The DWT is my second fave tour behind WTGT and I’ve been so so so obsessed by the entire concert tour ever since I saw it in 2004. Such a brilliant show — visuals, vocals, versatility. To me it was such a new millennium statement and still is futuristic and cosmic. Hopefully we can get a full leak of any of the shows where she had the better hair. Please oh please Madonna archival gods

Guest ArthurBadin

@@cailohfornia, strangely, I don't have any issue with her hair. I just wanted You'll See (especially with that arrangement) instead of Gone or the two together. And, of course, the show to have been recorded on 16:9 with a better quality (sorry Hamilton, you failed this time).

@@cailohfornia, strangely, I don't have any issue with her hair. I just wanted You'll See (especially with that arrangement) instead of Gone or the two together. And, of course, the show to have been recorded on 16:9 with a better quality (sorry Hamilton, you failed this time).

OMG but hair is everything!!!

On the DVD/HBO broadcast, during DW/SFL her hair looked like it was merely combed to go behind her ears! It looked nice at first but as the show went on and she had moved more... it looked messy/uncombed/unkempt!

I mean look at these other DWT dates. Wow! Cleaner, sleeker, more edgy.

3ce621a5a35c63b710b861673bf9eff4.jpg

f51b3c88df6b009c327194460f9f3a81.jpg

3aec6922136cecc2282da7b868fc6be7.jpg

Also the makeup on these photos looked amazing compared to the broadcast. I don’t really know why that is. Was it the lighting for the broadcast? Was it the post-editing they did for the DVD? Who knows?

Also I read on Wikipedia (just to see basic details on the DWT) that the broadcast was filmed in HD! Hmmm really? And yes it would’ve looked amazing in 16:9! Damn it Hamish & Callner!

Guest ArthurBadin

Also I read on Wikipedia (just to see basic details on the DWT) that the broadcast was filmed in HD! Hmmm really? And yes it would’ve looked amazing in 16:9! Damn it Hamish & Callner!

Very unsure about that since HD television came a little after, in the mid-2000's (German FIFA World Cup in 2006 was the first big event to be caught on HD format, and right after they came the first HD channels to pop here and there).

Maybe they had filmed on pellicule (the movies format), which is superior than HD.

Anyway, for sure broadcast on HBO at the time wasn't HD... hehehe chico!  :smile:  :tongue:

Yup! I know the USA apparently took a while to recognize and get with the HD thing so yes it’s probably not likely. Although I know the HBO broadcast used high quality cameras (20 to 30 cameras?) which were supposedly superior at the time (per HBO’s DWT Pre-Show special) from what I remember.

And by the way, Britney Spears’ Live In Las Vegas HBO Broadcast/DVD from 2001 looked so damn good! I was like “Why couldn’t the DWT broadcast/DVD be like that?†Lol. I know I’m picky

Guest ArthurBadin

Yup! I know the USA apparently took a while to recognize and get with the HD thing so yes it’s probably not likely. Although I know the HBO broadcast used high quality cameras (20 to 30 cameras?) which were supposedly superior at the time (per HBO’s DWT Pre-Show special) from what I remember.

And by the way, Britney Spears’ Live In Las Vegas HBO Broadcast/DVD from 2001 looked so damn good! I was like “Why couldn’t the DWT broadcast/DVD be like that?†Lol. I know I’m picky

I have BS' Live in Vegas DVD, it's the only one I have from her (not bootleg). And it's indeed very good, and by the way was caught in a question of months after HBO DWT.

I have BS Live from Vegas DVD, it's the one I have from her. And it's indeed very good, and by the way was caught in a question of months after HBO DWT.

Yup DWT in August, Britney’s DWADT on November.

Ugh I would pay so much for someone to leak or get a hold of that backup HBO August 25th show... or any DWT show for that matter.

So no details on any other full pro-shots of the DWT you know of @@ArthurBadin ?

Guest ArthurBadin

Yup DWT in August, Britney’s DWADT on November.

Ugh I would pay so much for someone to leak or get a hold of that backup HBO August 25th show... or any DWT show for that matter.

So no details on any other full pro-shots of the DWT you know of @@ArthurBadin ?

Nope. That time I was starting being a fan (stan only in 2004 with RIT announcement).

Very unsure about that since HD television came a little after, in the mid-2000's (German FIFA World Cup in 2006 was the first big event to be caught on HD format, and right after they came the first HD channels to pop here and there).

Maybe they had filmed on pellicule (the movies format), which is superior than HD.

Anyway, for sure broadcast on HBO at the time wasn't HD... hehehe chico!  :smile:  :tongue:

Many shows filmed in HD 16:9 long before it became a broadcast standard. Actually the US was supposed to get HD tv rolling out between 1990-1993. Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman was actually filmed wide with 4:3 protection. 

It is difficult to know which shows/events were treated this way, also CSI from 2001 was definitely broadcast in HD during its second season, as I remember watching it that way. So it is possible Drowned World was shot like this.

In many cases in the 90's they used to frame shots for both 4:3 and 16:9 or 1.33:1 and 1.78:1 as they knew it was coming in and knew those shows would do better in Syndication (rerun land) if they had wide versions, those shows focused more on 4:3 (as that is what originally aired) but shows like Friends were easily adapted, though you can see some errors in the frame, so it wasn't perfect. Shows from the 70's and 80's were never (as far as I know) treated this way, and you probably won't see wide frame versions of those shows.

Guest ArthurBadin

Many shows filmed in HD 16:9 long before it became a broadcast standard. Actually the US was supposed to get HD tv rolling out between 1990-1993. Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman was actually filmed wide with 4:3 protection. 

It is difficult to know which shows/events were treated this way, also CSI from 2001 was definitely broadcast in HD during its second season, as I remember watching it that way. So it is possible Drowned World was shot like this.

In many cases in the 90's they used to frame shots for both 4:3 and 16:9 or 1.33:1 and 1.78:1 as they knew it was coming in and knew those shows would do better in Syndication (rerun land) if they had wide versions, those shows focused more on 4:3 (as that is what originally aired) but shows like Friends were easily adapted, though you can see some errors in the frame, so it wasn't perfect. Shows from the 70's and 80's were never (as far as I know) treated this way, and you probably won't see wide frame versions of those shows.

Would love to see TGS in HD.

And I used to love watching Dr. Quinn! Good memories! #JaneSeymourRules

Would love to see TGS in HD.

And I used to love watching Dr. Quinn! Good memories! #JaneSeymourRules

Potentially The Girlie Show was done that way, but it may not have been. I am sure the picture can definitely be upscaled either way, so with the master and a good transfer it could definitely look better. They would have used Australian cameras, sometimes here in Australia we have better tech (sometimes tech that is developed for Hollywood/US) but not sure what kind of cameras/tech they used.

I know Japan got HD before the rest of the world, and I was sure the Japan show was shot in HD, but again not sure. 

We all know of the August 26, 2001 HBO broadcast... but I was told from another website by a Madonna enthusiast that the August 25th show was also TAPED as a BACKUP SHOW just in case anything went wrong on the August 26th show? Is this true? Because she looked so much better with that HAIR and better makeup based on the supposed press photos from the said August 25th show below. Why they couldn’t have chosen this show for the broadcast, I don’t understand why... cause she looked fierce!

My memory is fuzzy, but almost certain the show was broadcast live in the US at least, I am almost certain it was. So they didn't really choose one show over the other. So HBO had no control over it, Madonna decided her look for that night. 

It would have been good if she had the same look for both shows, we could have gotten a more varied DVD release if they were able to cut both shows together (assuming the 25th was taped) 

I would not be surprised if they taped the 25th as well as a safety, since anything could have gone wrong for the live broadcast. At least they would have a back-up.

After all the Girlie Show we got was the back-up show and not the one intended to be broadcast. So it is definitely possible they went with the same procedure with DWT. 

My memory is fuzzy, but almost certain the show was broadcast live in the US at least, I am almost certain it was. So they didn't really choose one show over the other. So HBO had no control over it, Madonna decided her look for that night.

It would have been good if she had the same look for both shows, we could have gotten a more varied DVD release if they were able to cut both shows together (assuming the 25th was taped)

I would not be surprised if they taped the 25th as well as a safety, since anything could have gone wrong for the live broadcast. At least they would have a back-up.

After all the Girlie Show we got was the back-up show and not the one intended to be broadcast. So it is definitely possible they went with the same procedure with DWT.

WAIT you said the August 25 show WAS broadcast in the US?

And you’re right. Assuming they taped the Aug 25th show. At this point it’s speculation for the most part until we get a small clip of the actual backup safety show.

And yes I’m aware they did the same procedure as that with the GST. For DWT however I wonder what they thought could go wrong if they had to do a backup safety show. Unlike the raining on the GST Sydney dates, the DWT Detroit dates didn’t have any kind of hazard, obstacle, etc.

Still I wonder how one can get a hold of that said taped backup show from HBO. If people can get leaked pro-shot footages from the venue video screens (RIT, S&ST, MDNAT) I wonder if they can also get a hold of the footage on any DWT date assuming Madonna “saves†each show’s footage from the venue cameras.

WAIT you said the August 25 show WAS broadcast in the US?

And you’re right. Assuming they taped the Aug 25th show. At this point it’s speculation for the most part until we get a small clip of the actual backup safety show.

And yes I’m aware they did the same procedure as that with the GST. For DWT however I wonder what they thought could go wrong if they had to do a backup safety show. Unlike the raining on the GST Sydney dates, the DWT Detroit dates didn’t have any kind of hazard, obstacle, etc.

Still I wonder how one can get a hold of that said taped backup show from HBO. If people can get leaked pro-shot footages from the venue video screens (RIT, S&ST, MDNAT) I wonder if they can also get a hold of the footage on any DWT date assuming Madonna “saves†each show’s footage from the venue cameras.

Sorry no, I meant the show we got on Aug 26th was broadcast live in the US probably Canada too, it was not tape delayed or pre-taped. I just meant HBO didn't so much choose between the two shows, they simply had an agreement to broadcast the Aug 26 show live.

Well a lot of things could go wrong with a live show, Madonna may have gotten sick, tech problems on the night either from the show itself or HBO, a blackout. So many tech and health issues could have forced a cancellation or postponement.

Madonna did cancel her August 3rd show due to illness, so HBO may have been worried about that too.

ETA: @@cailohfornia She definitely saves all the shows. Nocturn Productions is the company who does it. They did the same for Michael Jackson. It has been confirmed by someone who works for them they have archived all her shows since WTGT.

Guest ArthurBadin

Potentially The Girlie Show was done that way, but it may not have been. I am sure the picture can definitely be upscaled either way, so with the master and a good transfer it could definitely look better. They would have used Australian cameras, sometimes here in Australia we have better tech (sometimes tech that is developed for Hollywood/US) but not sure what kind of cameras/tech they used.

I know Japan got HD before the rest of the world, and I was sure the Japan show was shot in HD, but again not sure. 

Oh dear! Need to ask, can someone at NHK check the rough assemblies of it? I LIVE for Fukuoka (she was miles better than in Sydney).

The promotional video for 'Holiday' uses the audio from the 25th show, strangely... different mix and vocals:

Yes I WAS JUST GONNA POST THIS!

A small hope that the August 25th show exists!  :cry:

Love Niki's somewhat different intro on this video -- but now I've gotten so used to the DWT DVD that hearing Niki do different intros in Holiday on other DWT shows leaves me saying in my head the DVD version of her intro lol!

My absolute favorite DWT look is the Barcelona one. LOVE IT. The only one that truly embodies that punkrock feeling.

Yes the European shows' red kilt was everything! Omg!

And this photo! Madonna getting abducted by alien gods of the Electronica Galaxy (my interpretation lol)

madonna-drowned-world-tour-barcelona.jpg

Sorry no, I meant the show we got on Aug 26th was broadcast live in the US probably Canada too, it was not tape delayed or pre-taped. I just meant HBO didn't so much choose between the two shows, they simply had an agreement to broadcast the Aug 26 show live.

Well a lot of things could go wrong with a live show, Madonna may have gotten sick, tech problems on the night either from the show itself or HBO, a blackout. So many tech and health issues could have forced a cancellation or postponement.

Madonna did cancel her August 3rd show due to illness, so HBO may have been worried about that too.

ETA: @@cailohfornia She definitely saves all the shows. Nocturn Productions is the company who does it. They did the same for Michael Jackson. It has been confirmed by someone who works for them they have archived all her shows since WTGT.

Btw, amazing information on video technology/inception of HD video!

And I forgot about the tech + health factors of show cancellation. Dumb of me lol!

Yes, at least we all know all concert footages are SAVED! Nocturne shows up on the credits of Ciao Italia!  

Some fans online were even trying to contact Nocturne to ask for a release of these concert footages so we can get WTGT Florence! And hopefully the August 25 show! So desperate with this!

Oh her hair on the HBO edit was MESS.

Omg don't even get me started! 

I could understand this if they were not gonna do that fierce straight hair:

atlanta_impressive-instant.jpg

But this (Chicago hair but looks identical to the HBO broadcast hair) is just way too... undone and unkempt! Like did they not do her hair that night of the broadcast!?

chicago_impressive-instant01.jpg

Some fans have said that for the August 26 show, she was doing a 1970s Bowie type of hair / Bowie tribute.

Intrigued by this!