Will Madonna Ever Have A Hit Single Again?

baymad4her

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

madfan13_86

Come to terms with her legacy? In case you haven't noticed, she's putting together her biopic. So she's revisiting her past in her own way, at her own pace and in the way she wants to do it.  Moreover, I think she's actually been flirting with her legacy for a while, just not in a very obvious way (which is her right too). She often likes to reuse her old lyrics (like "Vogue" on "Holy Water", or even "Don't Tell Me" in "Future"), posts old photos on her IG, and I'm pretty sure Madame X is t

Husam Elzien

Honestly, I think her disdain of deeply revisiting her past has now reached a point of backfiring. In the politics of women in music, Madonna managed to maintain relevancy chart wise well past the "expiration" years because she still had killer hits and the appeal to back her up. But there was a shift in her public persona that started during MDNA where some of the things she said or did for shock-value or controversy came across as desperate and/or an attempt to keep up with Katy, Gaga, Beyonce

Mden

https://twitter.com/GodnessMadame marcus @GodnessMadame How to help Madonna’s upcoming 2 new songs to become hits- a thread 10:44 PM · May 31, 2023 · 1. First of all, stream the songs. And I mean as much as you can. Create playlists with both of the songs, but always put 2-3 different tracks in between them so they don’t get filtered out. Play on atleast 25% volume 2. Buy the songs on itunes if you can. Purchase all the versions available. This will boost the song

Posted Images

Yeah, they should have released this at the time when W.E. was being promoted.   They could have easily just used footage from the movie for the video. She didn't even have to film anything new.  Though, I would prefer she be in it still. 

I love the song!!

Covering songs, but nonetheless singing from her heart.+1

I don't agree with Ghosttown being a great song. Also, it's not great when being done live.+1

she's got to get her index back - she is known for the sum 1.) a new ground breaking witty sound which doesn't fit in a pop niche + 2.) making that sound fit the pop instead - back to when she led the shit to be followed. 

it's that formula which is pretty good that paved the way to her female followers mostly. (derivative) - get back to being a ruler not a follower.

she started following in hard candy. 

also she must understand she is now aphonic. from 2 years to now she talks in a breathless (not a mahoney) rushness -

we see clearly she needs to get some air to go on talking.

she needs new singing classes. 

if she stops following and be attentive to her singing I feel she's got a huge chance to be number one again.

:Madonna038:

Yeah, they should have released this at the time when W.E. was being promoted.   They could have easily just used footage from the movie for the video. She didn't even have to film anything new.  Though, I would prefer she be in it still. 

I love the song!!

Agreed. She did do a video montage of the film on the tour performance; something like that would have been ideal for the video.

I do like the orchestra version demo of this song as well. 

i think she just gotta ditch the need for collabs .

Yes, that's the answer. Never mind... both "Living For Love" and "Ghosttown" were solo efforts, but oddly when she released "Bitch, I'm Madonna" which had collabs in the song and in the video, it actually entered in the top 100, while the other two didn't even come close.

Make excuses all you want. It has nothing to do with the quality of her work. It has nothing to do with whom she collabs with.  She's just too old for a mainstream hit.  Top 40 gears to a younger audience and Madonna isn't part of that demographic anymore. 

She's been there, done that.  I'm happy.  I've lived her whole career and she has had more success than most entertainers, but as much as I don't want it to end, there comes a time in an entertainer's career that their audience will be the hardcore fans from this point on. I'm okay with that. Like I said, she's been there and done it all.  Anything at this point, is just icing on the cake.  I don't need another top 40 or better to tell me that Madonna is the queen of the crop.  But like all entertainers, they end up being put out to pasture.  The good thing with Madonna she's isn't giving up so easily.  So she'll probably always make waves with her new music until she retires or dies. 

Yeah, Masterpieces production is harsh. Very loud and and hard. Don't et me wrong, I love it, but I don't know if it would have charted here at all. The U.K. would've ate it up, when it was just part of WE soundtrack they were.

exactly, it sounds like a rough demo. The song wouldn't have done well. If Ghosttown couldn't, I doubt Masterpiece could've.

Unfortunately Liam is right. Madonna is just to old to have another hit, that's not what I think but that's how radio stations and a lot of people think about older people in the music business.

Exactly. It's not I want it to be true.  But the facts are... it is true.  Some people are waiting around for Madonna to have her "Cher" moment.  Please!!  Madonna's had far more hits and longevity than Cher ever has when it comes to music. Nothing against Cher. She's done quite well for her, especially in films. Cher was in her early 50's when she scored a hit with "Believe".  Madonna is nearly 60 now. All through her 50's, she was able to pack arenas and stadiums still. She may have not have scored a hit on the magnitude of "Believe", but I feel that is just a fluke on Cher's part.  What people forget when she first released the song, it didn't really do well.  It was one of those songs just luckily gained momentum. I've listened to Cher's follow ups since "Believe". They are pretty decent songs. They sound like songs you would hear on top 40, but guess what radio isn't touching her either.  She's just too old for that market.  And in my perspective, "Ghosttown" was that perfect safe song for top 40 radio. If radio didn't touch that, then they aren't going to touch anything because she has many other songs from her recent albums that would have fit on top 40 radio. It's not she doesn't have songs worthy for top 40 radio. They just don't want to play her anymore. She's too old. Her only chance is collaborating with someone that top 40 radio is willing to play, and even that isn't a guarantee.

What people forget when she first released the song, it didn't really do well.  It was one of those songs just luckily gained momentum. 

Really? Looking at it's chart run, it debuted at No.1 on the US charts, stayed there for 7 weeks, and then gradually left.

But you are right with everything else, Cher was lucky, it was a new sound that had not been used mainstream before. 

Plus, back then it was not so much about air play, more about sales, these days it's all about airplay/stream pretty much, and unless your Taylor Swift you ain't gonna shift that many actual units.

Also, these days, there is just so much content, it's beyond saturation, everyone is fighting for attention, so much incredible music is being made that isn't played on radio, that does not chart on the charts. So the fact that M's stuff still charts, and still gets some air play, is a really big achievement in this day and age, especially for someone pushing 60!

Really? Looking at it's chart run, it debuted at No.1 on the US charts, stayed there for 7 weeks, and then gradually left.

But you are right with everything else, Cher was lucky, it was a new sound that had not been used mainstream before. 

Plus, back then it was not so much about air play, more about sales, these days it's all about airplay/stream pretty much, and unless your Taylor Swift you ain't gonna shift that many actual units.

Also, these days, there is just so much content, it's beyond saturation, everyone is fighting for attention, so much incredible music is being made that isn't played on radio, that does not chart on the charts. So the fact that M's stuff still charts, and still gets some air play, is a really big achievement in this day and age, especially for someone pushing 60!

If you look at the "info" on that chart position, you'll see that the song was released in Oct. 98. It took two months before it reached top 40 status.  It was a slow burner for sure.  It took an additional two months to get to top 10.  By March of 1999 is when it finally hit #1. 

I only bring this up because Cher mentioned herself it wasn't an instant hit by no means. In fact, she was surprised it went #1.  

But then again, this is how songs back in the day became highly successful. They would slowly burn up the charts, rather  just become an instant top ten and drop out of sight a couple of weeks later.

I would really love to see Madonna at number 1 again all over the world

We all do! And leave it to Madonna to find a way to do so, even though radio and much of the music industry has put her out to pasture already.  Though it's going to take loads of effort on her part to achieve that. Not sure if she wants to waste her time on such a feat. I'm sure she rather concentrate on touring or a residency where the money is still for her.

And her family continues to expand. I think a much slower tour would do good for her. Doing shows back to back for a month and then off for a few weeks then back to shows back to back and etc. I'm not gonna hold my breath for a smash hit, but I do agree she will need a label that will be just as serious. TV promos ain't gonna cut it honestly. Heck a TV commercial do her some good, don't know if she's ever go a that route before or if it would work. But pulling some good features would work too. I really wish Kanye had kept her as a feature on his last album.

My answer to this question is YES!!!!! I know it won't be easy, but hey, I'm a Madonna fan and what I learnt is that, from Madonna you can expect the unexpected...

When she released "Madonna" she was a disco singer with a hit song, "Like a virgin" was well, lucky girl with some hits but she won't last, "Erotica" was "She's over. She needs to get naked to sell records? This is the end for her"...

All the time Madonna had lots of people against her and she always surprised us. Of course, her age for lot of people is not her best thing to sell records and things like that but I'm sure that she'll break another record and we'll read in the news something like "Wow!!!! At her age she still can get a number 1 hit!" as a surprise. But me, as a fan, will think "Hey, it's Madonna... With her everything is possible".

My answer to this question is YES!!!!! I know it won't be easy, but hey, I'm a Madonna fan and what I learnt is that, from Madonna you can expect the unexpected...

When she released "Madonna" she was a disco singer with a hit song, "Like a virgin" was well, lucky girl with some hits but she won't last, "Erotica" was "She's over. She needs to get naked to sell records? This is the end for her"...

All the time Madonna had lots of people against her and she always surprised us. Of course, her age for lot of people is not her best thing to sell records and things like that but I'm sure that she'll break another record and we'll read in the news something like "Wow!!!! At her age she still can get a number 1 hit!" as a surprise. But me, as a fan, will think "Hey, it's Madonna... With her everything is possible".

I wish I had your optimism about this.  I certainly hope she can, but this is more than about the fact some kept saying "she was over" early on.  Back then, the music industry and radio was behind her.  She came on the scene when MTV really blew up.  She was among the crop of artists that made MTV. 

With Madonna, she continues producing new music no matter what people say.  She doesn't let her age stop her.  She doesn't give up.  So that alone is a positive factor in all of this.  Unfortunately, we've had some great music from her that the music industry and radio decided to pass on.  "Ghosttown" alone should have been a massive hit for her.   Most people really loved that song.  Radio just refused to play her.  And these days it's all about the streaming.  She doesn't have the pull in that department.  

She'll really have to do something that flips people's lids to get any attention for her music.  Unfortunately, any negative attention is usually met with "Eh, that's Madonna being... (fill in the blank)".   And she's set the standard for pop stars.  She's done it all. I can't see what she can do get people to take notice of her new music.

I think if she makes something totally different, out of her comfort zone. Yeah, she always make different things, but in her last albums she put much effort in sound like all the actually popstars. She can re-invent the pop music one more time... obviusly is a risk but I sure she can.

This... or maybe a no-dance album, I love her covers of I Had A Hammer and Between The Bars.

If you don't played at the Radio or have a trillon zillon clicks on Youtube...you will not have a Nr 1 at all.

It's not about selling anymore!!!!

She can make the best Music...and sorry she did with Rebel Heart..not enough clicks and Airplay she will

not get a Nr. 1 single.

I disagree with Beto who said RH sounds like all "new" other Music...cause it don't.

Music & Lyrics it's awesome..but wrong Song choices for Singles imo. Like many times.

But Songs with more Guitar and less Computer Sounds would be awesome.

For me she writes great pieces of Music and i'm excited what comes next.

Amen and out

^ @@Steffmad, Amen.

As far as I’m concerned, she’s still on top! :)

When music sale charts mattered, she was one of the top sellers. Now that the $$$ is in touring, she’s one of the top performers.

“Her legacy is intact, her influence is undeniable, her impact is immeasurable.â€

~ Detroit News

MADONNA HOLDS RECORD FOR HIGHEST-GROSSING TOURING SOLO ARTIST IN BILLBOARD BOXSCORE HISTORY OVER $1.31 BILLION IN TICKETS SOLD

http://getoutmag.com/madonna-holds-record-for-highest-grossing-touring/