Love Spent

dylanlioncourt

I must admit that hearing the one minute snippet posted on Perez Hilton's website before the record was released truly captivated me. It sounded like a futuristic Orbit track that immediately hooked me with its "Love Shack" melody until the full song was released.

That banjo intro.
The ABBA/Hung Up reference.
Her calling out Guy Ritchie and the divorce/money he took.
The sudden change halfway through the song.

The bonus acoustic version.

And finally the constant teasing during rehearsals and the performance on the MDNA Tour, as the tour went on, the less clothes she removed and how the performance grew.

Oh really? This surprises me, I still think it's a good song. I didn't like the production of the album version (the filtered vocals and the Abba reference are out of contexct) and I also think the lyrics could have been great if just centered on the "I am Love Spent, wondering where it all went" thing (because this is a universal feeling).

Anyway the live acoustic arrangement is very interesting and the melody, wich seems to evolve rather than changing to me, is absolutely gorgeous. The best thing on MDNA right after Gang Bang  :cute:

Hung Up! Reference? If it's there, I can't pick it up really. If it was sampled, then it was well done. Love Spent was one of three songs I initially bought when MDNA came out until I bought it in full back in late 2015 when I started fully exploring her catalogues. I loved, and still do but not as much as some other songs on MDNA. But there are some kickin remixes for it that keep me entertained way more. But the original is still good, and very fresh. Banjos, who woulda thought? Lol

What a lovely song this is.  I recall when this song first was previewed, the fans ate it up.  Of course, we heard the second half of the song.  Once the full song was released, I felt the majority of fans just loved this song from beginning to end.  It really felt like two songs in one.  And many felt a bit disappointed that it didn't first show up on the MDNA Tour.  This song was definitely one of the first times she started adding songs to her show while on the road.  This was merely unheard of in previous tours where she would add to the show as she had here.  Rebel Heart Tour brought us a plethora of additions to the show depending on the venue and night. 

Again, a wonderful song.  Her emotional live performance was very much a highlight to the MDNA tour alongside LAV. 

Hung Up! Reference? If it's there, I can't pick it up really. If it was sampled, then it was well done. Love Spent was one of three songs I initially bought when MDNA came out until I bought it in full back in late 2015 when I started fully exploring her catalogues. I loved, and still do but not as much as some other songs on MDNA. But there are some kickin remixes for it that keep me entertained way more. But the original is still good, and very fresh. Banjos, who woulda thought? Lol

Yes, you can hear the ABBA sample after the first verse and before the shift of the song. I heard the original intention was always to include the sample.

I timestamped the part where the sample can be heard.

I think people are just overreacting when they refer to MDNA as 'her worst album'. I am sure many of you bought it in multiple formats anyway!  :Madonna021:

Her "worst album"?  Pfft!!  What a silly notion.  It's a pretty great album. It might not be as solid as some of her most successful, but it has some pretty outstanding tracks.  Also, it's the first album in awhile that she's released that I love all the tracks enough that I don't feel the need to skip any when listening. 

How did a Love Spent Appreciation thread turn into "MDNA is her worst album" thread?  :nope:

If you're referencing my comments, read again, I questioned the person I quoted and responded with my opinion.  That said, topics tend to take turns and twists from time to time.  When someone says "Love Spent" is the only song they like on the album, it certainly opens up the topic to criticism of the album the song is part of.

I wasn’t sold on MDNA. But sometimes for me, with M, it takes a live performance or a tour to get hooked on a song. I really started to enjoy Love Spent after I read the set list. Same with Iconic. Never paid much attention to the song until I saw the first news press clip opening night in Montreal. After that I was obsessed

MDNA if anything (and whatever fans think of it) spawned one of her greatest ballads Falling Free - just for that track it will always be a good album -  i listen to that song more than any other song she has released over the last decade - i like Love Spent but her vocals do get a bit whiney towards the end but i do love the acoustic version too and i think its sounds good on the MDNA tour(Which i think is her weakest tour though, sadly) :((

I love Love Spent.

The ABBA/Hung Up reference was clever, and I love the shift the song takes after the bridge. It’s almost as if the song boils over until it evaporates at the end. I like the drama of it, but I tend to be more drawn to Madonna’s more pining, pleading vocals.

The MDNA album, although imperfect, has some great moments that I still love to listen to on regular rotation.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 21/12/2017 at 2:03 PM, thelioncourtheart_ said:

I must admit that hearing the one minute snippet posted on Perez Hilton's website before the record was released truly captivated me. It sounded like a futuristic Orbit track that immediately hooked me with its "Love Shack" melody until the full song was released.

"Love Shack" melody? Where?

As for the song, definitely and of the best tracks on MDNA.