Bel

The New Album - 2019!!

2 hours ago, Seduction Surrender said:

Oh shit, you're totally right. This would explain why the other day when I stumbled upon X-Tina's page on Spotify, I was surprised at the fact she has a total of 16M monthly listeners when her last 3 albums underperformed beyond measure. That is until I noticed that Say Something, a song in which she was the main feature, has close to half a billion listens.

Well, she has 2 Xmas songs that boosted her listeners this month. sia2 She gained 4.500.000 listeners from 2 popular Xmas playlists. sia2 Last month her followers were at 11-10m, close with M.  sia2

Plus monthly listeners are changing with features, no one denied it. But the monthly listeners are coming cause they stream the collab. Not many of them streamed Xtina's rest discography tho, as we can see from the numbers. I mean, Say Something came in 2014, Xtina's last studio album before the collab was Lotus in 2012. It barely impacted the streams of the album, even MDNA with Rebel Heart did better, alone. She would've gain more streams if she was the main artist tho.

sia2

Guest Seduction Surrender
6 hours ago, Régine Filange said:

Well, she has 2 Xmas songs that boosted her listeners this month. sia2 She gained 4.500.000 listeners from 2 popular Xmas playlists. sia2 Last month her followers were at 11-10m, close with M.  sia2

Plus monthly listeners are changing with features, no one denied it. But the monthly listeners are coming cause they stream the collab. Not many of them streamed Xtina's rest discography tho, as we can see from the numbers. I mean, Say Something came in 2014, Xtina's last studio album before the collab was Lotus in 2012. It barely impacted the streams of the album, even MDNA with Rebel Heart did better, alone. She would've gain more streams if she was the main artist tho.

sia2

This Sia emote is hilarious. sia2

11 minutes ago, RayOfLight said:

^

youre 100% right. The record is great. The problem was the accusations of jumping on the bandwagon leaving behind progressive dance music and the lack of promotion and obviously getting 50. It was based on prejudice and ignorance.

I wouldn't say great, but it's an overall solid album. I'll be overly critical to point out what I think kept it from being great.

1.    "Candy Shop"  This song could have been much better. Most people don't even know what Turkish Delight is   

2.    "4 Minutes"  The lyrics are sort of all over the place. 

3.    "Give It 2 Me"    One of the best tracks on the album until the "get stupid" breakdown

4.    "Heartbeat"    Classic Madonna album track

5.    "Miles Away"    Great track

6.    "She's Not Me"    Good, but WAY too long

7.    "Incredible"    See "She's Not Me"

8.    "Beat Goes On"  Trash

9.    "Dance 2Night"    Doesn't stand out as good or bad - forgettable

10.    "Spanish Lesson"    Trash

11.    "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" Brilliant, but it's Joe Henry, so of course it is

12.    "Voices" Great track

I'm very 50/50 on "Hard Candy". I mark it as the point where her vocals and/or vocal production started to be truly lacking. Also the songs themselves. No matter how exuberant it can get, "Heartbeat" is like a cheap soulless photocopy of her early 80s spirit. "Miles Away" is also devoid of any emotion for such a song cutting close to her true life. "Devil" and "Voices" are truly some of the best things on there. "Give It 2 Me", "She's Not Me" and "Incredible" are pretty good too. Controversially, if the other tracks disappeared forever, I seriously wouldn't care. Mixing her age in the discussion where surely no true fan would even take it into consideration when discussing these albums is truly something.

Here's a thought experiment - I recently compiled a "Single Edits" topic with all of her singles as they were released. Disc 4 covers "Ray of Light" to "Confessions". Disc 5 covers "Hey You" to "Rebel Heart". Looking at those two is the clearest illustration of a downfall if I've ever seen one. It's like going from a 10 to a 5. Disc 4, and arguably, Disc 1, might just be some of the finest collections of singles ever. Disc 5 is like an inferior Bebe Rexha pile of generic tracks, bar a few exceptions.

4 hours ago, matty221087 said:

I know every fan of Madonna is different and has their own favourites and least favourites but I find it so annoying with how much hate her album Hard Candy gets! People exaggerate and make out it’s the worst album ever! When I absolutely love it, that whole era was amazing, also the last time she was massively popular amongst the general public, I remember her doing Radio 1 Big Weekend and it was massive! There were thousands there, She was played all over the radio, 4 Minutes topped the charts for four weeks! The younger people were loving it. The era was huge! The she went on to do the highly successful Sticky and Sweet Tour which smashed records and beat the confessions tour sales. So overall, it can’t be that bad of an album can it! I think it’s far better than some of her earlier albums like Like a Virgin, and Bedtime Stories which I found boring. Stand out songs from Hard Candy are 

4 Minutes - Absolutely banging tune!!

Miles Away - Such an awesome song and her voice sounds brilliant

Beat Goes On - Such a funky song and love the bit “Say what you like, do what you feel...” part 

Give it 2 Me - Love this song, very groovy, Pharell is a good addition

Devil Wouldn’t Recognise You - Absolutely brilliant ballad, love the lyrics to it

And then the tour!

The sweet machine intro! 

Vougue mashed up with 4 Minutes (the best version of vogue easily!)

Into the groove, love the little mashup with “jump” too 

4 Minutes! That Intro with the loud drums gives me goosebumps every time!

Like A Prayer! What an electric version! The “it feels like” mashup was epic 

Frozen & Holiday! Absolutely gutted these wasn’t added as an extra on the Blu-Ray! This version of Frozen was absolutely amazing!! Pure euphoria! 

So those are my feelings on Hard Candy, absolutely amazing era, and YES I loved the album cover! She looks sexy as f**k, and I love the pink colors on it too. For me Hard Candy was her last truly successful chart topping era, the same can’t be said for what happened after she left Warner Bros. After Hard Candy....  

Im just hoping this 2019 album is gonna be something big to reignite my excitement like Hard Candy did! 🍭🍬🍭🍬🍭

0A35CCDD-9CDD-46F3-880E-338FC7441A2B.jpeg

I read and agreed with parts of your post but you totally lost me at "I love the album cover" ☺

3 hours ago, Future Lover said:

I'm very 50/50 on "Hard Candy". I mark it as the point where her vocals and/or vocal production started to be truly lacking. Also the songs themselves. No matter how exuberant it can get, "Heartbeat" is like a cheap soulless photocopy of her early 80s spirit. "Miles Away" is also devoid of any emotion for such a song cutting close to her true life. "Devil" and "Voices" are truly some of the best things on there. "Give It 2 Me", "She's Not Me" and "Incredible" are pretty good too. Controversially, if the other tracks disappeared forever, I seriously wouldn't care. Mixing her age in the discussion where surely no true fan would even take it into consideration when discussing these albums 

Hard Candy is a strange album. I can’t make it through it anymore. Pharrell makes her sing in such a weird, high-pitched, nasal way that, instead of recalling TFA, I cringe. It’s doubly frustrating because most of the songs are well written until some weird lyric comes along and ruins them. “See my booty get down like. Hup hup get down,” “Get Stupid, don’t stop it,” “ You’re welcome to my party-I’m coming to your party girl,” all of Spanish Lesson. There are fan mixes of demos for Voices and Miles Away that strip out Timbaland and Justin and they’re genuinely good. 

To bring this back to her new album: I would prefer Madonna to sing in her normal register. RH (the song), Ghostown etc are fine, but Living For Love is a mess. And all of MDNA. It’s been a decade of songs where Madonna rarely sounds like herself. 

6 hours ago, G House said:

Maluma? Really? I don't want her near sexist men so thank you, next.

Agreed. He's overrrated, overhyped and I don't find him attractive but every female and gay man acts like he's God's gift or something. I remember him making problematic remarks a while back.

5 minutes ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

Agreed. He's overrrated, overhyped and I don't find him attractive but every female and gay man acts like he's God's gift or something. I remember him making problematic remarks a while back.

Who is this though? Never have heard from him.

I think Miles Away has a beautiful melody, but there's something about the way Madonna delivers the words that makes me think she is more reading aloud in a didactic way than showing true emotions. Tracks like Voices and She's Not Me have more emotional resonance and are really quite good. The way she sings on these songs sounds more convincing, like it comes from the heart more than songs like 4 Minutes, Spanish Lesson or Miles Away.

I still think Hard Candy is quite a stylish album, but Madonna often seems to be a guest on her own songs, letting Pharrell and Timbaland do all the work. For me that is okay, because I liked their sound back then.

Listening to Hard Candy in 2018 I get the feeling I'm listening to a transitional record. It was the first time Madonna didn't reinvent pop music, instead following a trend. She continued following trends with MDNA and Rebel Heart.

At the time of recording Hard Candy Madonna's marriage to Guy Ritchie was falling apart. I thinks that is why Madonna sounds invested on one song and detached on another. Feelings of heartbreak, denial, resistance and resignation are all over the record, which makes Hard Candy a very fascinating listening experience.

Because of all the emotional turmoil not every track nears Madonna's creative peak. But as a transitional record, it is just extremely fascinating.

well to be honest I don't like Miles Away. Yes It has beautiful melody but she sing too much high tone for me.

For me, Rebel heart (especially Avicii Demo version) is way better song then Miles Away.

She can sing high tone after Evita era, but I prefer her raw tone voice for example Live to tell, Rebel heart, I'll remember etc.