cailohfornia

MKV Files

Hi you guys!!!

So recently @@smooth28la had shared with us amazing files and videos from his personal collection. Most of them are in .MKV / Matroska format and not the traditional VOB, MPEG-2, or AVI which are perfect for video editing. 

I was asked to remaster one of the files he had shared and unfortunately VEGAS Pro 15 can't open or doesn't support MKV files which frankly I am not familiar with lol

Is there any way one can convert MKV files into MPEG-2 or any editable video formats without losing frame rate and quality? Thank you guys!

You need to install MKVToolNix on your computer:

https://mkvtoolnix.download/links.html

Then install gMKVExtractGUI (found on the same page, it's a portable tool). Then load MKVToolNix in gKMV:

captur10.png

And now you load the MKV file and demux it to separate the MPEG2 video and audio streams. There you have the original files :) I did it to convert back to VOB because some mkv files do not work on my TV.

most mkv files these days have mp4 streams inside, so MP4Tools can extract it and remux it. That's if the mp4 is H264 codec, sometimes its H265 or HVEC and you're kinda out of luck without re-enconding.  :thinker: Not sure what the files posted are though.

most mkv files these days have mp4 streams inside, so MP4Tools can extract it and remux it. That's if the mp4 is H264 codec, sometimes its H265 or HVEC and you're kinda out of luck without re-enconding.  :thinker: Not sure what the files posted are though.

They are mkv files containing MPEG-2 video streams. You can demux with gMKVExtract and remux with ImagoMPEG-Muxer, if you still want an MPEG or VOB as final file.

Then install gMKVExtractGUI (found on the same page, it's a portable tool). Then load MKVToolNix in gKMV:

captur10.png

And now you load the MKV file and demux it to separate the MPEG2 video and audio streams. There you have the original files :) I did it to convert back to VOB because some mkv files do not work on my TV.

Oh I see! Didn't know of this. I downloaded so many programs/softwares and only yielded quality loss and frame rate drops. However I shall def give this a try! 

I did notice that when I go to the video properties on the MKV files on my Media Player Classic HC, it says the video is MPEG-2. I did learn thereafter that MKV is a file container hence, Matroska lol. But it was just frustrating how Vegas Pro 15 couldn't "open" it from the container.

Thank you again guys. And @@wtg1987, I was going to privately ask him but like @@luckystar908 said, it is pretty tedious or some kind of a hassle lol. 

Thank you!!!

captur10.png

WAIT!

Downloaded the 32-bit version of MKVToolNix. Then downloaded gMKVExtracGUI separately as well. Now where do I put the unzipped files from gMKVExtractGUI? It has the program then some configuration settings (has gears on the icon). 

Do I just drag those files onto the MKVToolNix C:/ Program File directory? Or make a separate folder on my C:/ directory?

And if I wanna open/extract an MKV file which do I open...? MKVextract or gMKVExtractGUI?

Thank you so much.

Since the mkv is a dvd-r rip, I kept it in MPEG2 to avoid any further imperfect compression's.

I thought so! And I did eventually end up extracting the original MPEG-2 video from the MKV container! Thank you so much again!

WAIT!

Downloaded the 32-bit version of MKVToolNix. Then downloaded gMKVExtracGUI separately as well. Now where do I put the unzipped files from gMKVExtractGUI? It has the program then some configuration settings (has gears on the icon). 

Do I just drag those files onto the MKVToolNix C:/ Program File directory? Or make a separate folder on my C:/ directory?

And if I wanna open/extract an MKV file which do I open...? MKVextract or gMKVExtractGUI?

Thank you so much.

Sorry I used the wrong term for gMKVExtract, you do not install it because it's portable. Just unzip the content somewhere on your computer, and launch the .exe. Where it says "MKVToolNix directory", you need to indicate the path where you installed ToolNix, so gMKV will be able to process the files. And there you can extract the MKV :)

gMKV demuxes (i.e extracts the files), ToolNix remuxes (compiles the files).

Here it works for you because the MKV contain MPEG-2, but it depends of course on what format is inside.

Sorry I used the wrong term for gMKVExtract, you do not install it because it's portable. Just unzip the content somewhere on your computer, and launch the .exe. Where it says "MKVToolNix directory", you need to indicate the path where you installed ToolNix, so gMKV will be able to process the files. And there you can extract the MKV :)

gMKV demuxes (i.e extracts the files), ToolNix remuxes (compiles the files).

Here it works for you because the MKV contain MPEG-2, but it depends of course on what format is inside.

Awesome. I ended up figuring it out! 

Thanks a billion for your help!!! Much love!