scottyj

Express Yourself Video - Album Version

I'm not sure about the extra scenes, but the 4:25 one that's on The Immaculate Collection DVD, is the one with the edit of the Local Mix. The 5:00 one from the Celebration DVD is the one with the edit of the Non-Stop Express Mix. 

7 minutes ago, Candy Perfume Boy said:

Always found it funny that some people call the sound at the start of the Local Mix, and Celebration album version a “zipper” sound. To me it’s more of a digital fart! Not a desirable noise in any case

To me is a vinyl scratch sound.

On 9/6/2018 at 10:25 AM, Aiwa08 said:

Not really. It's an edit of the 7'' Mix. The 7'' Mix is almost identical to the album version, not to the Local Mix. But the Local Mix is similar to the 7'' Mix with less instruments.

These are the video versions. Use the CUE file to play the file. Track-1: Shep Pettibone video version, Track-2: 7'' Mix Edit with local mix intro (alternate video version) :

And this is the Local Mix Edit: 

How can the video version be an edit of the 7" mix when it has the percussion-and-vocal-only intro ("c'mon girls..") from the Local Mix added onto the beginning? That's not an edit. 

The 7" mix and Local Mix are similar because they were both remixed by Shep Pettibone. The fact that the video version has the intro from the Local Mix, makes it by definition an edit of the Local Mix. 

And that edit of the Local Mix you posted is unofficial, confirmed to be fake by Shep himself: https://www.discogs.com/Madonna-Express-Yourself/release/2410257

On 9/8/2018 at 5:02 PM, clkelley39 said:

How can the video version be an edit of the 7" mix when it has the percussion-and-vocal-only intro ("c'mon girls..") from the Local Mix added onto the beginning? That's not an edit. 

That is the reason why we named that version 7'' Remix with Local Mix Intro. The "edit" is in the 7'' Remix because it doesn't have the intro (and it doesn't have the outro).

The 7" mix and Local Mix are similar because they were both remixed by Shep Pettibone. The fact that the video version has the intro from the Local Mix, makes it by definition an edit of the Local Mix. 

Again, the 7'' Remix is not an edit of the Local Mix, you can't obtain the 7'' Remix editing the Local Mix. They are very similar mixes, not the same. Only the intro belongs to the "Local Mix" in the video versions.

And using your logic, the "Remix/Edit with Local Mix Intro" (original video version) should be another edit of the "Local Mix" by definition.

And that edit of the Local Mix you posted is unofficial, confirmed to be fake by Shep himself: https://www.discogs.com/Madonna-Express-Yourself/release/2410257

Of course is fake!!! I've posted it to check the differences between the Local Mix and the 7'' Remix because they are not the same mix (very similar, not the same). And as far as I know, the edits I've posted are not available on that fake CD (but it's fanmade).

On 9/29/2018 at 9:53 PM, Aiwa08 said:

Ryder, you are my hero. :clapp:

Oh thanks Aiwa08 and sbrombolesio!!! Just shared infos collected gathered here n there in various melting pots all over the place and...  I felt like doing the same when a new beat is described that you never noticed before. About the 2nd Video notes say its on IC VHS,DVD,LS and VCD but I seem to remember saying that the DVD and VHS timings are different. Cant check as my VHS player is stored away.... 

On 9/28/2018 at 7:00 PM, Ryder said:

let's see if I can help by adding some notes on the matter: 

In 1989, Shep Pettibone did two different remix sessions for "Express Yourself"

The first session is based on the original, horn-heavy Like A Prayer arrangement of the song with lots of "live" instruments. The hit 7" Remix is from this session and follows the structure of the LP Version, but lends the track a fuller, more polished sound with additional strings and percussive elements throughout. 

The only structural difference comes near the fade, where the vocal has been altered. On the LP version Madonna sings "Express yourself/(backing vocals, no Madonna: You've got to make him)/So you can respect yourself". On this part of the 7" Remix she instead sings "Express yourself/(Backing vocals WITH Madonna:You've got to make him)/Express himself...". 

The second session is the house remix. This version has a completely new, electronic backing track and thanks to The Immaculate Collection and VH1 (explaination on the way), many are more familiar with this arrangement. 

When the video was released in 1989, MTV and VH1 were given two different cuts of the video. 

The first runs 4:50 and is set to the house arrangement. 
The mix used is unique, but is essentially the Remix/Edit found only on the above promo CD with the intro replaced by one similar to that heard on the Local Mix version. The only real difference in the mix is that the line "Do you believe in love" echoes on the video and does not on the Local Mix. Otherwise, one can carefully recreate this video version by using the two mixes from the promo CD. 

The second video (included on The Immaculate Collection VHS/LD/DVD/VCD, lol) removes some of the steamier bedroom moments from the end and runs about 20 seconds shorter. The main body of the 7" Remix is used for the soundtrack, but the intro and fade endings are replaced with the intro and acappella ending of The Local Mix (by way of poor edits). This accounts for the time difference as it was necessary to place the acappella ending before the fade began on the 7" Remix. 

In the end (for whatever reason), MTV opted for the shorter version and VH1 played the full version.

– Express Yourself (video mix) 5:08 it’s like the one on Celebration but just a little bit longer.

How do I put this...
U know 'yer sh*t !
Did you listen to them back 'n' forth or does this come natural ?