G House

RSD 2018 - You Can Dance (red vinyl) and The First Album (Japanese picture disc)

I found the First Album here. It may have been the last one. Still hunting down YCD, Going on Ebay only as a last resort.

Joe's Albums

317 Main Street
Worcester, Massachusetts, 01608
United States

Phone: (508) 796-5352

http://www.joesalbums.com

Joe's Albums

Invoice #1197

Apr 22, 2018, 09:02Grand total: $26.23
Item Price Qty Total
Madonna - Madonna Pic Disc
  • SKU 32910
$21.98 1 $21.98
  • Subtotal:

$21.98
  • Shipping cost:

$4.25
  • Grand total:

$26.23
  •  

4 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

Yawn :(( more pointless re-issues of a pointless vinyl revival - why the fuck cant Warners re-issue this album on a picture cd with the digital un-mixed versions that all we want ? Cant we start a petition or something ?

Not pointless to me.  I never had the picture disc of the original album.  And never had bought the Vinyl version of YCD.  Being an Orange vinyl, I see it as a double win.  As for the "un-mixed" versions that's not how the album was intended.  That said, a little digging (probably at this very forum), you'll probably find the digital "unmixed" version as well as the dubs that came with the cassette and CD formats. :Madonna057:

1 hour ago, ericn101 said:

I found the First Album here. It may have been the last one. Still hunting down YCD, Going on Ebay only as a last resort.

Joe's Albums

317 Main Street
Worcester, Massachusetts, 01608
United States

Phone: (508) 796-5352

http://www.joesalbums.com

Joe's Albums

Invoice #1197

Apr 22, 2018, 09:02Grand total: $26.23
Item Price Qty Total
Madonna - Madonna Pic Disc
  • SKU 32910
$21.98 1 $21.98
  • Subtotal:

$21.98
  • Shipping cost:

$4.25
  • Grand total:

$26.23
  •  

Check post on bottom of this page. I have YCD available. 

Does someone know which version of Burning Up is pressed on the Picture Disc? Is it the 3:45 one or the 4:45/European one that served as a b-side to Angel on a UK single release? Thanks!

EDIT: I bought it anyways, no way I was letting that one go!

On 22/04/2018 at 12:38 PM, wtg1987 said:

Yawn :(( more pointless re-issues of a pointless vinyl revival - why the fuck cant Warners re-issue this album on a picture cd with the digital un-mixed versions that all we want ? Cant we start a petition or something ?

Not pointless at all. I for one absolutely adore the recent batches of coloured vinyl reissues, and am looking forward to the rest of her back catalogue eventually receiving the same treatment too. Of course, we all want to see proper special edition reissues, but until that happens, this is also great

1 hour ago, PWCCA said:

Not pointless at all. I for one absolutely adore the recent batcheds of coloured vinyl reissues, and am looking forward to the rest of her back catalogue eventually receiving the same treatment too. Of course, we all want to see proper special edition reissues, but until that happens, this is also great

i'm happy you(and others) like it and im sure Warners do -especially getting money for very old rope - vinyl had its day( i used to love it 20 years ago but now it just seems so so pointless other than grabbing more money from fans who didn't appreciate it the first time round -maybe in 20 years time there will be a CD revival then or maybe a laserdisc revival so we can all buy Blond Ambition tour again (Seeing as M cant be bothered to release it in a format we can enjoy now ! :(  ) sorry rant over :)

5 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

i'm happy you(and others) like it and im sure Warners do -especially getting money for very old rope - vinyl had its day( i used to love it 20 years ago but now it just seems so so pointless other than grabbing more money from fans who didn't appreciate it the first time round -maybe in 20 years time there will be a CD revival then or maybe a laserdisc revival so we can all buy Blond Ambition tour again (Seeing as M cant be bothered to release it in a format we can enjoy now ! :(  ) sorry rant over :)

Vinyl sales have been actually steadily going up in recent years with more money being spent on vinyl than on digital downloads for example (Source 1Source 2) so releases/re-issues on this format make perfect sense, nothing pointless about it. :)

Edited by kesiak

1 hour ago, kesiak said:

Vinyl sales have been actually steadily going up in recent years with more money being spent on vinyl than on streaming for example (Source 1Source 2) so releases/re-issues on this format make perfect sense, nothing pointless about it. :)

Mmmh, more money spent on vinyl, on what basis ? One (new) vinyl is almost always more expensive than a streaming service monthly fee (or a free account, obviously), but revenue from subscriptions and ad-sponsored streaming are a far bigger chunk of the market.

http://www.businessinsider.com/music-streaming-services-like-spotify-leading-music-revenue-us-charts-2018-3?IR=T

On 22/04/2018 at 1:38 PM, wtg1987 said:

why the fuck cant Warners re-issue this album on a picture cd with the digital un-mixed versions that all we want ?

Well because Record Store Day is about vinyl reissues.

The unmixed versions are all over the digital internet anyway.

2 hours ago, discohub said:

Mmmh, more money spent on vinyl, on what basis ? One (new) vinyl is almost always more expensive than a streaming service monthly fee (or a free account, obviously), but revenue from subscriptions and ad-sponsored streaming are a far bigger chunk of the market.

http://www.businessinsider.com/music-streaming-services-like-spotify-leading-music-revenue-us-charts-2018-3?IR=T

That was actually a mistake on my part, I meant to say "more money being spent on vinyl than digital downloads" rather than "streaming" as that's what the linked Guardian article claims. 

On 4/22/2018 at 2:21 PM, Enigmanotta said:

Does someone know which version of Burning Up is pressed on the Picture Disc? Is it the 3:45 one or the 4:45/European one that served as a b-side to Angel on a UK single release? Thanks!

EDIT: I bought it anyways, no way I was letting that one go!

the 4:48 version isn't the European one, it's the original album version that appeared on all of the first editions of the album (Canada and USA included). That said - when are we gonna get this version on CD?

If any of those in London are still wanting a copy of either, then Sister Ray Records and Rough Trade East still have plenty of copies of both You Can Dance red vinyl and The First Album picture disc...and don't forget that all remaining stock goes on sale online (at most of the shops that take part in RSD) at midnight on 28th...more responsible prices than Ebay flippers :) 

On 2018-04-27 at 12:29 AM, brank000 said:

the 4:48 version isn't the European one, it's the original album version that appeared on all of the first editions of the album (Canada and USA included). That said - when are we gonna get this version on CD?

I didn't know that the 4:48 version of Burning Up was the original version. I refered to it as the "European" version because of that; "Burning Up" (Alternate Album Version) – 4:48, was used for the Vinyl edition of Madonna: The First Album, released in Europe in 1985. The same version was the b-side for the single "Angel" (1985) in the same countries".

The "CD standard" Burning Up version is still the 3:45, I guess, since it's the most common one on CD, digital and streaming. I agree that it should be released on another media than vinyl, though.

What I always found weird is that they pressed the 3:45 "CD standard" version of Burning Up instead of the 4:48 "original/alternate" version on the 180g vinyl from the 2016 reissues, but still pressed the 4:57 original version of Everbody instead of the 6:00 "CD standard" version.

I'll receive the picture disc monday or tuesday. I'm just happy that I'll hopefully have both versions on vinyl.

The original version of the album included a 4:48 version of "Burning Up" with a synth-pop arrangement. On many subsequent pressings, however, a 3:41 version driven by electric guitars takes its place.  After the initial release, Madonna was still not happy with some of the mixes on the first album, thus alternate versions of the singles from the album were released. 

Anywho, I got both my purchases the other day.  For those who are still wondering what version of "Burning Up" is on this re-issue, it's the 4:48 version.  But here's the kicker... it's listed as 4:50. 

I took these this morning.  I already hung the YOU CAN DANCE poster up in the other room, and it's a full size poster.  I wasn't expecting it to be full size.  For some reason, I was expecting a much smaller poster.

RS1.jpg

RS2.jpg

RS3.jpg