Madonna to direct ballet drama "Taking Flight"

LivingForLove94

16 hours ago, me1981 said:

Most directors spend years honing their craft on smaller projects, such as tv shows, commercials, music videos and short films. Madonna did a commercial and a short film then a feature.

I actually think if she dedicated herself to just making films, she would be good. No director is just amazing straight away. I really don't like her approach to it. As someone who is studying editing and directing and has done a couple short films, I just don't agree with her attitude.

I hope it goes well and the movie is amazing though.

It's interesting to hear your perspective as a student.

How would you describe her attitude to film-making?

10 hours ago, vasili said:

It's interesting to hear your perspective as a student.

How would you describe her attitude to film-making?

Honestly, a little arrogant. Not much different than her acting career. She never could be honest with herself about her acting ability, blamed the critics and audiences for not being able to see past her persona, never really took acting lessons, and never took a critical look at herself.

It is frustrating, she could have been a solid actress and now she could be an even better director, but she short cut her way to both and it shows.

Some people just take to it and are good at it without the study and paying dues, but Madonna is not one of those people and I wish she would be more receptive to the criticism and learn from it instead of just labelling everyone haters. 

On 3/18/2019 at 9:30 PM, me1981 said:

Honestly, a little arrogant. Not much different than her acting career. She never could be honest with herself about her acting ability, blamed the critics and audiences for not being able to see past her persona, never really took acting lessons, and never took a critical look at herself.

It is frustrating, she could have been a solid actress and now she could be an even better director, but she short cut her way to both and it shows.

Some people just take to it and are good at it without the study and paying dues, but Madonna is not one of those people and I wish she would be more receptive to the criticism and learn from it instead of just labelling everyone haters. 

I see what you mean. So much of what you described is Leo behaviour though haha - i.e. an arrogant approach, inclined to blame others rather than herself, unable to resist doing something on a large scale. Perhaps since she has the kind of access and network that non-famous directors do not, it was hard for her to resist thinking 'big'? Personally, I don't care much for her directing pursuits. Perhaps she could consider being more of a film producer, where she remains integral to having the stories she likes told but doesn't need to be the one behind the camera.