Most Overrated Madonna Era?

girlgonewild

Like A Prayer/Blond Ambition era. Yes it's her most iconic but that's literally the only era everyone inside and outside the fan community talks about. I appreciate the album and tour and they are very near and dear to my heart,but I wish that other eras got the same appreciation.

27 minutes ago, thegr8forever said:

Like A Prayer/Blond Ambition era. Yes it's her most iconic but that's literally the only era everyone inside and outside the fan community talks about. I appreciate the album and tour and they are very near and dear to my heart,but I wish that other eras got the same appreciation.

I disagree. It's Madonna in her peak. Nothing can be compared to this era. It's revolutionary, has all the iconic hits Like a Prayer, Express Yourself, Vogue. First modern concert tour, iconic looks, tour movie.

Please let me know which other "era" has more?! Hard candy? MDNA? lol

4 hours ago, thegr8forever said:

Since when the highlight of a career can be considered as overrated ?

Like you said "Hum, too much success, she didn't deserve it"

Erotten...by far!

The album is not that great. The music has aged like milk and the majority of the songs are fillers. The videos were good but her looks in general were pretty ugly and the tour isn't as good as Blonde Ambition, particularly because the song choices were not exciting and the setlist was so fucking short.

Ray Of Light era.  

Clutch those pearls.

I know artistically, the album & videos were amazing. The performances and her fashion around this time were underwhelming.  I missed dance pop fierce Madonna which we got back really during the Re-Invention Tour and Confessions following that.  In retrospect, it was nice to have Earth Mother Kabbalah Madonna, but at that time fans were like, is this a permanent thing?   

From a fan's standpoint, I can't see how any fan can say any era was "overrated".  The first three albums were her reaching her peak.  Without those eras, Madonna wouldn't have established the iconic 80's status she has right now.  "Like A Prayer", the song, sealed it for her.  It's the most universal loved song in her catalog among fans and non-fans alike.  Certainly there are others, but "Like A Prayer" is usually the first song non-fans can name and say they like.  And if "Like A Prayer" wasn't the tipping point yet for some, "Vogue" did it. 

Now to a person who just despised Madonna and didn't understand who Madonna was as an artist, they could easily pick one of these albums and say they were overrated, but again without the first three, the 80's Madonna would not have been as iconic.

As for Ray of Light, I honestly don't believe it got the just dues it deserved. Yes, it won grammys and got a lot of critical praise, but commercially it didn't pop out of the oven as successfully as her first three. People had to warm up to it. Radio didn't play all the singles as much as they did the earlier Madonna eras.  Though, it was a nice resurgent for Madonna.  It introduced her to a new crop of fans.  There was nothing overrated about this era at all.  I truly felt when she nominated and won the Grammys is when the album was truly appreciated. That's when a lot of people jumped on board, and over the years reflect back on it as one of her best. 

After that, I can't think of an album that got enough love and appreciation.  Music and Confessions... was pretty close, but after the first couple of singles a lot of people lost interest.  Confessions... was more successful and appreciated in Europe. 

To me, it's easier to say she has been underrated as an artist than overrated. 

2 hours ago, BringUrLUV said:

Ray Of Light era.  

Clutch those pearls.

I know artistically, the album & videos were amazing. The performances and her fashion around this time were underwhelming.  I missed dance pop fierce Madonna which we got back really during the Re-Invention Tour and Confessions following that.  In retrospect, it was nice to have Earth Mother Kabbalah Madonna, but at that time fans were like, is this a permanent thing?   

We still had the club mixes.  Nothing Really Matters and Beautiful Stranger were magical in the club around this time. Maybe it was what I was on though. 

1 hour ago, LivingForLove94 said:

By the general public/critics? She doesn't have one, they never really accepted her 100%, despite her becoming the most successful female artist of all time. 

By fans? Confessions on a dance floor is the one, not even the (well deserved) ROL worship gets on my nerves like that. 

:04:

The whole "ROL" worship is something that gained momentum over time.  I truly feel that the love for ROL is far more now than when the album was originally released.  I just feel that now looking back, people see that was a time she did a complete 180 from what she was doing.  It was a far more grounded and mature Madonna that we've ever seen.  It was a time when a new crop of fans hopped on board, but I don't think it happened over night.  I do feel the appreciation for the album just grew immensely over time, especially after her Grammy wins.

Confessions... was another resurgent for Madonna, specifically in Europe.  I personally don't think it got enough Universal acclaim for it to be considered "overrated".   Though, I personally could say the lead single being 'overrated' as it wasn't something I felt wasn't as great as some have made it out to be.  But again, it wasn't necessarily a universal hit compared to some of her previous first singles.  The U.S. was quite on the fence with it.  I think MTV at the time, probably helped it's popularity in the U.S. 

It's easier for me to pick "overrated" songs of hers than albums.  Personally, "Like A Virgin" and "Hung Up" are two that come to mind.  But again, without "Like A Virgin", I'm not sure we'd have the Madonna we know today.  That song definitely propelled her to becoming a household name and a phenomenon in the 80's.  

32 minutes ago, Liam said:

The whole "ROL" worship is something that gained momentum over time.  I truly feel that the love for ROL is far more now than when the album was originally released.  I just feel that now looking back, people see that was a time she did a complete 180 from what she was doing.  It was a far more grounded and mature Madonna that we've ever seen.  It was a time when a new crop of fans hopped on board, but I don't think it happened over night.  I do feel the appreciation for the album just grew immensely over time, especially after her Grammy wins.

Confessions... was another resurgent for Madonna, specifically in Europe.  I personally don't think it got enough Universal acclaim for it to be considered "overrated".   Though, I personally could say the lead single being 'overrated' as it wasn't something I felt wasn't as great as some have made it out to be.  But again, it wasn't necessarily a universal hit compared to some of her previous first singles.  The U.S. was quite on the fence with it.  I think MTV at the time, probably helped it's popularity in the U.S. 

It's easier for me to pick "overrated" songs of hers than albums.  Personally, "Like A Virgin" and "Hung Up" are two that come to mind.  But again, without "Like A Virgin", I'm not sure we'd have the Madonna we know today.  That song definitely propelled her to becoming a household name and a phenomenon in the 80's.  

Yes, Hung Up is overrated.

While still being a great and iconic song, I always look at it like a damage control move, which isn't a bad thing per se, especially after an era like AL, but anyway....I prefer Sorry, Get Together and other COADF album tracks to it, they have more life and soul. 

LAV is such a great pop track, Madonna brings life to songs she doesn't even write, that's an example of it. I listened to the LAV album today and the title track is just timeless, it's one of her defining hits. I don't think it is overrated not only because of this but because M herself continuously reinvents it on stage, that's a big plus :cute: 

6 hours ago, discohub said:

Since when the highlight of a career can be considered as overrated ?

Like you said "Hum, too much success, she didn't deserve it"

I never said "she didn't deserve the success". I fully believe that she deserved all the success in the world at that point in time. I'm just saying that I wish more of her underrated eras before and after this period in time were given some love too,like Bedtime Stories/Evita/ROL.

1 hour ago, LivingForLove94 said:

Yes, Hung Up is overrated.

While still being a great and iconic song, I always look at it like a damage control move, which isn't a bad thing per se, especially after an era like AL, but anyway....I prefer Sorry, Get Together and other COADF album tracks to it, they have more life and soul. 

LAV is such a great pop track, Madonna brings life to songs she doesn't even write, that's an example of it. I listened to the LAV album today and the title track is just timeless, it's one of her defining hits. I don't think it is overrated not only because of this but because M herself continuously reinvents it on stage, that's a big plus :cute: 

I don't see "Hung Up" as "damage control".  At least, in the sense she even thought about it enough to think, "I'm going to record a smash hit with an Abba sample, to get people's mind off of American Life. " Besides, RIT actually secured her back in a good place.  And it helps that "Hung Up" or Confessions didn't come off political.  An artist who has been going strong as long as Madonna will not always secure a commercially successful album and age does play a huge part in that as well. 

I agree about what you say regarding LAV.  It's just I think it was more of a gimmick than anything. She got the song at the right time and she was the right artist to sing it. 

1 hour ago, thegr8forever said:

I never said "she didn't deserve the success". I fully believe that she deserved all the success in the world at that point in time. I'm just saying that I wish more of her underrated eras before and after this period in time were given some love too,like Bedtime Stories/Evita/ROL.

well it's not going to work by bringing down her greatest achievement

I'd go with Like A Prayer or Like A Virgin as overated eras. And I mean nothing negative by overrated. When you go up to the average person, they will only be able to idenitfy a single from one of those two albums off the top of their head. Or Justify My Love, but I get that one from more older people. Anyway, I digress, the eras I listed were big enough and popular enough to burn themsleves in pop culture whether it was wanted or not. I'd say her first album, Bedtime Story, and Rebel Heart have not received the kind of honor that is due to them. And don't trash me for Rebel Heart. I'm not saying it was a Ray of Light, but when pressed up to Hard Candy and MDNA, it was definitely worth some talk.

8 hours ago, gafuller said:

I'd go with Like A Prayer or Like A Virgin as overated eras. And I mean nothing negative by overrated. When you go up to the average person, they will only be able to idenitfy a single from one of those two albums off the top of their head. Or Justify My Love, but I get that one from more older people. Anyway, I digress, the eras I listed were big enough and popular enough to burn themsleves in pop culture whether it was wanted or not. I'd say her first album, Bedtime Story, and Rebel Heart have not received the kind of honor that is due to them. And don't trash me for Rebel Heart. I'm not saying it was a Ray of Light, but when pressed up to Hard Candy and MDNA, it was definitely worth some talk.

Rebel Heart and Bedtime Stories are not only underrated but overlooked.

Hope they'll be studied and analysed properly one day, there's stellar material on both of them and some of her deepest and most personal lyrics.