A different question for Madonna experts

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 3:22 AM, brazilfan said:

Copycat always afraid to tell what is real inspiration to people. For example People all knew that that copy cat song which very reductive:silly: copied Madonna's song and it copy Madonna's looks but it tell to the people it inspired from Whitney houston. LOL:lol: That's the we can call copycat and copied. 

Are we still at this? Isn't Gaga over or something? And importantly, who needs this war again?

Also, Madonna has famously 'copied' numerous things in her work. Example, the Hollywood video was taken to court for plagiarism to photographer Guy Bourdin and Ray of Light to a music video by Italian singer Biagio Antonacci - in neither case had Madonna publicly credited the original sources, even though the similarity is obvious. Check these out. Facts. I love Madonna but - like many people in the industry - she appropriates other people's work and shuts their mouth by paying them up. Her ability to recognise what works is good and we love her for that.

8 minutes ago, MagiC said:

Are we still at this? Isn't Gaga over or something? And importantly, who needs this war again?

Also, Madonna has famously 'copied' numerous things in her work. Example, the Hollywood video was taken to court for plagiarism to photographer Guy Bourdin and Ray of Light to a music video by Italian singer Biagio Antonacci - in neither case had Madonna publicly credited the original sources, even though the similarity is obvious. Check these out. Facts. I love Madonna but - like many people in the industry - she appropriates other people's work and shuts their mouth by paying them up. Her ability to recognise what works is good and we love her for that.

Sure she and her directors have used imagery from photographers/films/Etc on her videos because she's ... a pop artist. Referencing is kind of something in pop art. She's often talked about her inspirations, but I doubt she would've denied inspiration if she had been asked about something in particular The ROL video is just sped up footage, hardly something groundbreaking that someone suddenly invented. Madonna has never copied something and then denied it or gotten offended by an accusation. Pop stans trying to accuse Madonna of copying with the weakest receipts is tired. 

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 6:43 AM, Liam said:

"Beautiful Stranger" had a similar deal with the exception you could find it on the Soundtrack of the movie it was in.  It became a top 20 smash nevertheless, but I suspect it would have been a top 5 hit if there was a single available for it.

I didn't know there wasn't a single for Beautiful Stranger in USA

Madonna shot Vision Quest Nov 22nd or 23rd 1983 in Spokane Washington. By that point Crazy for You, Gambler and Warning Signs were at least in rough form as she performed all three numbers in the film and stated in 1984 she wasn't sure which numbers were going to make it in.

The movie was originally due for release in the summer of 1984, so I assume that all production would have been completed long before that.

Like a Virgin started production March 5th 1984. It is possible she recorded Crazy For You and Gambler in their final forms during this period. Though it may have been done earlier. Since these were all Geffen Records productions and not WB. 

Also here is a pic of Madonna in the recording studio with Jellybean from the March 1984 issue of Star Hits (so taken at least a month or so before). So possibly this was during the production for the Vision Quest songs, but may have also been for the single remixes he did for Lucky Star and Borderline or both.

84.02.20 - Star Hits.jpg

I think most people doesn't remember that "Crazy for you" and "Gambler" were not released buy Warner. In fact, I remember reading on magazines that Warner went crazy when "Crazy for you" was released because they didn't know about that. Geffen had the rights of those songs and when they saw the success Madonna had tried to make money with what they have. They even tried to promote other artists adding them as B-sides. "Crazy for you" was a surprise for everybody but when "Gambler" was going to be released Warner tried cancel it and finally they got an agreemento to release "Gambler" but just outside the USA.

I'm sure that if "Crazy for you", "Gambler" or "Into the groove" were not recorded or not released the promotion of "Like a virgin" had been different. Probably "Over and over" was planned as a single too but with this three "surprise hits" they thought it was too much.

• 2 months later...
On 5/24/2018 at 6:32 PM, cailohfornia said:

Not to mention Into The Groove would've been the perfect icing on LAV to add with Gambler and Crazy For You if they were all on the album. Yes, LAV would have been MORE of a sonic non-cohesive perfection if all those bops would've been in one proper album lol. It just would satisfy my mild clinical OCD.

1. Material Girl
2. Angel
3. Like a Virgin
4. Over and Over
5. Love Don't Live Here Anymore
6. Into the Groove
7. Crazy for You
8. Dress You Up
9. Shoo-Bee-Doo
10. Gambler
11. Pretender
12. Stay

So much stronger

On 5/29/2018 at 9:28 PM, bstranger said:

Very interesting! Anyway, my most wanted unreleased song is Warning Signs, the third song recorded for Vision Quest movie. I wonder if it was used as a movie scene like Gambler and Crazy for you and then cut from the movie later. 

I'm really curious how Desperately Seeking Susan sounds