Is I'm Breathless not considered a studio album because...

It's a CONCEPT ALBUM.

It's an album released by Breathless Mahoney, sort of. Like...a companion album for the film as if the character Breathless Mahoney from the movie released an album. So...to consider it a Madonna studio album would be a BIT of a stretch.

It's kind of like Miley Cyrus' albums as Hannah Montana.

17 hours ago, Rose Mist Stud said:

Madonna herself considers I’m Breathless an album. Her PR team does not. Madonna’s new album is M 15 according to Madonna but not her Marketing team.

16 hours ago, Enrico said:

When did she say this is her 15th album?

@Rose Mist StudMadonna never has discussed such. 

On 6/21/2018 at 5:10 PM, madaboutM said:

I agree with those saying it's not a "proper" studio album although it technically is! Madonna obviously released it cause she didn't want all that work put to waste after being rejected by the movie production. They were really good, fun songs! So as much as it pains me, we are awaiting for M14, not M15.

As far as I’m concerned it’s M15. But whatever. This is the oldest and most infamous debate among any fans in the history of recorded music. 

On 18/06/2018 at 2:07 AM, Liam said:

@Rose Mist StudMadonna never has discussed such. 

:pop: and she even said "I would have to say the favorite record that I've made is the soundtrack to Dick Tracy. I love every one of those songs..." in Q Magazine (1994)

The source is WIKIPEDIA, jeez people check your sources before you make fools of yourselves

To me, it's entirely new album. Only select songs were in the movie and Madonna went to the studio to record more music because she was inspired by the film. The title says it all. If the cover simply just said "Music from the film Dick Tracy" then the argument would be over.

I'm Breathless is actually one of my favorite Madonna albums.

6 hours ago, musicinferno said:

To me, it's entirely new album. Only select songs were in the movie and Madonna went to the studio to record more music because she was inspired by the film. The title says it all. If the cover simply just said "Music from the film Dick Tracy" then the argument would be over.

I'm Breathless is actually one of my favorite Madonna albums.

ahem "music from and inspired by" is an industry trope that means soundtrack, check it out and get over it

https://www.google.fr/search?q=music+from+and+inspired+by

• 4 months later...

It's definitely more of an album than a soundtrack because very little of the music is in the film. Also, this is the only album that Vogue was released on. Nevertheless, Madonna's management doesn't consider it an album and it's "music from and inspired by." I think both sides of the argument has an excellent point.

Her marketing team use to count it as an album during the 90's (i'm looking at a Bedtime Stories press release where they state BS as her 7th studio album).

M has been in the game for over 30 years, but hasn't released as many albums as other artists that have started around the same time, or less (U2, Depeche Mode, Prince, REM, Mariah, Snoop Dogg, ). So I don't think it's fair at this point in her career to ignore I'm Breathless as if it's not good enough to sit with all her other albums. We as fans should consider it, as a talented musician that she's always been. And give it the recognition it's been missing for several decades.

7 hours ago, deathproof said:

Her marketing team use to count it as an album during the 90's (i'm looking at a Bedtime Stories press release where they state BS as her 7th studio album).

M has been in the game for over 30 years, but hasn't released as many albums as other artists that have started around the same time, or less (U2, Depeche Mode, Prince, REM, Mariah, Snoop Dogg, ). So I don't think it's fair at this point in her career to ignore I'm Breathless as if it's not good enough to sit with all her other albums. We as fans should consider it, as a talented musician that she's always been. And give it the recognition it's been missing for several decades.

Completely agree. And thanks for the info on the press release.

I can't believe this is a thing. I'm Breathless is not one of "her studio albums."  It is not one of the crown jewels that make up her 13 own, personal reflections on life and love, working through emotions and thoughts....

I'm Breathless is a gem all on it's own. The feelings and thoughts are there and so is Madonna. She's definately there but she's playing a charactor. 

3 hours ago, deathproof said:

Wow. Really? You're just going to ignore Something to Remember when it comes to "personal reflections on life and love?"

No no no...I think Madonna can relate and is there bringing the emotions. The best thing I think she does in "acting" is getting to the core of a charactor's emotions but that is also why I think she is way more successful in Pop music than film. Portraying a whole charactor takes more than just emotional connection.  Utimately I think she is reflecting on life and love through a charactor's views hence "I'm Breathless." 

• 11 months later...
On 11/13/2018 at 3:56 PM, deathproof said:

On 11/13/2018 at 3:56 PM, deathproof said:

Yes!! It only became an issue once she left Warner Bros. and they could (or would) not agree on the tally of what was considered actual albums and soundtrack albums/songs recorded for movies (Who’s That Girl, Into the Groove, Crazy For You, Evita, etc.)

Also, Dick Tracy already has a soundtrack album that includes songs from k.d. lang and other artists. 

So for me, I’m Breathless will always be a studio album. 

Madonna was inspired by her Breathless character in the movie, that album is not a soundtrack but an album that was inspired by the movie, and as far as I know most of those songs were written during or after the filming of the movie, I don't think that many of those songs were ever considered to be on the film since she is not a producer or director in that film and by the time Madonna was involved as cast in the movie, the movie had already been decided, written and approved by the people producing it and the movie studio, etc.she was just Inspired by her character.

I consider it one of her albums but I can see why some may not. Even though it is not the actual soundtrack it is very much connected to the film and part of its merchandising the same way Beyoncé’s Lion King inspired album was a part of the Lion King franchise. The songs on a film soundtrack are not always necessarily in the movie eg I believe the Chicago soundtrack had songs not included in the movie. Im Breathless even has the name of the film and a Dick Tracy logo on the cover. So it’s definitely tied to the film. Vogue I feel was only added for the sake of it, I don’t believe for a second Pat Leonard is correct that it was written for the film and we already know for certain it was written to be the bside of Keep it together anyway. I do believe songs like Back in Business, He’s a Man, Now I’m Following You etc she may have submitted for inclusion in the movie. Hanky Panky I’m not so sure. But if you think about it that song is very reflective of the character in the film so it’s possible. There is also the story that it originally had racier lyrics and Disney made her tone it down but I don’t know if that story is actually true.

As for Madonna’s own opinion she definitely considers it to be one of her albums however it would not surprise me if she also considered the Evita soundtrack to be one of her albums. 

1 hour ago, THE ROSE MIST said:

As for Madonna’s own opinion she definitely considers it to be one of her albums however it would not surprise me if she also considered the Evita soundtrack to be one of her albums. 

She definetely does NOT consider it a studio album, and she shouldn't cause it's not. It is NEVER mentioned when the her albums are discussed. Any merchandise featuring her studio album ignores I'm Breathless completely.

Madame X is her 14th studio album.