Good Madonna Remixes

Greenlook

Since I am not sooo familiar with Madonnas entire single- collection, I would like to know, if you can recommend good remixes of Madonna songs, especially from the 80s/ 90s. I know most of them from the Music aera on, but unfortunatelly they don't convince me really. Maybe there are some hidden gems from the periods before that give us a 80s/90s NY feeling?

Thanks in advance.

the one she performed back in the day... at The Brits?

Not clubby, but a great reimagining. 

Some CD Singles are great almost from beginning to end.

Nothing Really Matters

Erotica

Bedtime Story

Also.... I Know its not what u asked for... but this guy Monsiuer Adi has made a few remixes that are my definite favorite remixes of some Madonna songs. 

Cool stuff in between. The Justify my Love and the Secret remix are great. The Kruder and Dorfmeister is one of my all time favourites. Many thanks

I had known the Monsieur Adi remixes, they are really great work and catch a good mood.

The problem I have with many Madonna remixes is, that they don't add a new element to the song. It's just a club version, nothing more. That's why I love the Kruder remix so much.

I really like this remix:

2 minutes ago, Greenlook said:

Cool stuff in between. The Justify my Love and the Secret remix are great. The Kruder and Dorfmeister is one of my all time favourites. Many thanks

I had known the Monsieur Adi remixes, they are really great work and catch a good mood.

The problem I have with many Madonna remixes is, that they don't add a new element to the song. It's just a club version, nothing more. That's why I love the Kruder remix so much.

I really like this remix:

yeeeesssssssssss! I love true reimagining of songs. Some songs are easier to do than others based on melody. 

i actually started paying attention to James Holden and Tiefschwarz after this single. 

Secret (Some Bizarre Mix) remixed by Bizarre Inc., a bit of a change from the more NYC oriented remixes of the 90s. Apparently one of these guys is now part of Chicken Lips and Emperor Machine which is kinda cool. 

Frozen (Stereo MCs Mix) Stereo MCs had a string of hits including Connected and Step It Up, a strange collaboration but a funky remix indeed. I love The Head's vocals, its sad he didn't drop a verse but super funny that his only bit on this remix is when he says Madonna. 

Keep It Together (45 King Mix) Mark the 45 King was huge in hip hop with The 900 Number and production for Flavor Unit, Queen Latifah, alot of the late 80s/mid 90s NYC NJ rappers. 

Rain (Remix) completely reimagined backing track, more emphasis on one of the spoken segments.

Nobody Knows Me (Mount Sims Mix) love the weird freestyle/breakbeat vibe of this along with Micronauts remix of Hollywood

I always loved David's Love Dub mix of Deeper and Deeper, the way it stops and sort of melts amidst the organ. 

Guest Sonny

I think that the remixes released in the 90s are the best (not just for Madonna but for so many other artists including Janet, Prince etc.) especially if you love house music. Here are some of my favourites:

Justify my love (William Orbit 12" Mix) as well as "The Beast Within Mix" (the best remix ever! some consider this a new song)

Erotica (William Orbit 12") this includes different verses 

Deeper and Deeper (David's Klub Mix)

Secret (Junior's Luscius Club Mix)

Bedtime Story (Orbital Mix)

Human Nature (Howie Tee Remix)

Frozen (Stereo MCs Remix)

Ray of Light (Sasha's Ultraviolet Remix)

Nothing Really Matters (Club 69 Vocal Club Mix)

Beautiful Stranger (Calderone Club Mix)

I think it depends on one's mood and of course taste. I would definitely recommend that you pay attention to the recreations of Fever (Edit One) and Keep it Together (Single Mix) as they both elevate the original recordings to a new higher level. 

It's also interesting to note how Madonna always preferred to use club versions of her singles to be used in her tours between 1987 and 1993. 

On the contrary, I find it difficult to enjoy the remix version of a Madonna ballad. They're so weird and rarely add anything good to the songs (maybe William Orbit's remix of I'll Remember stands out), but honestly I think her ballads should never be touched.

Finally, I am devastated by Madonna's poor selection of latest remixes. It's been almost a decade since the last time we heard a decent one. What a shame.

14 hours ago, madgefan said:

I think it depends on one's mood and of course taste. I would definitely recommend that you pay attention to the recreations of Fever (Edit One) and Keep it Together (Single Mix) as they both elevate the original recordings to a new higher level. 

It's also interesting to note how Madonna always preferred to use club versions of her singles to be used in her tours between 1987 and 1993. 

On the contrary, I find it difficult to enjoy the remix version of a Madonna ballad. They're so weird and rarely add anything good to the songs (maybe William Orbit's remix of I'll Remember stands out), but honestly I think her ballads should never be touched.

Finally, I am devastated by Madonna's poor selection of latest remixes. It's been almost a decade since the last time we heard a decent one. What a shame.

Remixes are tricky in general, especially a ballad. But they can be done. 

Just look at Don't Cry for Me Argentina. I NEVER would have thought that could be made into a banger. But it works!

For me, the Golden Age of Madonna remixes started in 1990 and ended in 2006.

I'm no fan of Victor Calderone, Peter Rauhofer and Offer Nissim. I think their remixes lack originality, refinement and class, so you won't find their remixes in my list of favourites. It's a matter of taste, so if you do like their sound I have nothing but respect. The Big Room sound is just not my cup of tea. I also left out remixes by Junior Vasquez. As much as I loved them back in the day, listening to them now I think they sound quite dated.

Here we go:

Keep It Together - 12" Remix (not to be confused with the 12" Mix)

Vogue - Strike-A-Pose Dub

Justify My Love - Orbit 12" Mix

Rescue Me - Titanic Vocal Mix / Lifeboat Vocal Mix

Erotica - WO 12" / Underground Club Mix / Madonna's In My Jeep Mix / Confessions Tour Studio Version

Deeper And Deeper David's Klub Mix / Shep's Classic 12"

Fever - Edit One

Secret - Some Bizarre Mix

Bedtime Story - Orbital Mix

Human Nature - Bottom Heavy Dub

Frozen - Stereo MC's Remix / Widescreen Mix

Ray Of Light - Sasha Twilo Mix / Orbit's Ultra Violet Mix

Nothing Really Matters - Kruder & Dorfmeister Remix

Music - Groove Armada GA 12" Mix

Die Another Day - Thee RetroLectro Mix

American Life - Felix Da Housecat's Devin Dazzle Club Remix

Hollywood - Jacques Lu Cont's Thin White Duke Mix