Which Ballad from RH is your favorite and why?

Ulisaax640

• 2 weeks later...

Joan of Arc has become my favorite I think. It's the song I feel has the most heart. The most genuine. 

HeartbreakCity is right behind. Its got this 90's Moby vibe. 

I would maybe like Messiah better if it was recorded/mixed properly. Her vocal gets High pass filtered right before the second chorus and just kills the vibe. Not to mention the distortion on her vocal and the fact it sounds it was recorded on a laptop mic. 

• 2 weeks later...

Imma weigh things here:

1. Ghosttown - slow, emotional and radio friendly actually since I hear this song played a couple of times in the radio here and the concept of the post - apocalyptic world makes me wonder if there would still be a little love left

2. Joan of Arc - slightly upbeat (the demo version is slower in terms of the beats), sad yet empowering song about being having at least one person to love you for who you are instead of countless number of people loving you for what you are

3. Heartbreak City - underrated, slow, Love Don't Live Here Anymore's younger sister, about having nothing left for yourself after a break up and admitting the failures in the relationship that led to being broken

4. Wash All Over Me - slow, Game of Throne - ish (which I adore), medieval - like production and eargasmic song about letting life decide the fate one shall have but for as long as you lived the life you wish to have, a "come what may" kind of a song (the demo version can choke on the production)

5. Messiah - Ray of Light - like production and aura (although a little touch of William Orbit is welcomed), Avicii produced, gospel song about being the light towards those who are in need of such

I have to admit, Rebel Heart is as strong in terms of the quality of the songs as Music and Confessions on a Dance Floor but of the five, Wash All Over Me takes it all for me. The demo version can quiver on the album version's production and the overall message is well - presented.

HeartBreakCity

This song is a prime example of "Madonna Magic"

On paper its an eyeroll, cheezy lyrics and low-impact song title...

Then hearing it, its sonic simplicity is a perfect choice for M's stellar vocal delivery. The "Now I----I-I-I-I-I-I-----I'm in the middle of Heart Break City.." chorus is one of those Madonna songs that I have lived for all these years. There's certain phrasing choices and the patented Madonna melodies that are like an audio fingerprint to my ears. 

Honestly the Rebel Heart album will remain one of my favorites for years to come. There are some amazing songs that no doubt will be overlooked down the road, but seeing HBC on the Rebel Heart Tour (esp w/ the LDLHA addition) will be one of those 'had to be there' moments, and it struck the same chord with me each time i saw it live, and it still does when i hear it on the album. 

Whilst, lyrically, I do love Heartbreak City, VVV, Ghosttown, WAOM, RH, HT and many others on this album, production-wish I would have preferred a more Patrick Leonard approach to the songs in the final versions. 

My favourite songs from the sessions weren't actually on the album. 

Never Let You Go because of the lyrics, vocals and production, even for a demo. It's just sweet and sad at the same time. A portion of the lyrics reminds me of Dancing With Myself by Schiller (whom I always wished she worked with). 

Tragic Girl, to me, is sublime in its lyrical content and delivery, a vulnerable quality I hadn't heard since the TPOG demo.