Madonna's vocals on 'God is a woman' Music Video by Ariana Grande

Dazedmadonna

2 hours ago, gafuller said:

I think its supposed to be a parody of how we think God should sound. We want God to be powerful and direct. Here the concept is that God is a woman and she's taking a stab at a masculine leaning society. Plus, the Southern accent just nails it away further. Who knows God better than a southerner? (I'm a Christian and a Southerner, so don't shoot any arows at me, just know my region).

Do we have to over comment on this, as obvious as it is ? "God is a woman" is the title, Madonna vocally plays God as a Woman in the interlude, in the #metoo times. It's a feminist statement inside the video clip of a feminist anthem. No christianity nor theology involved, it's a fucking feminist thing in pop costume. Janelle Monae did it two months ago, and she's far from being the only one.

Who run the world ? Girls.

I mean, Maya Rudloph played God as a Woman 6 months ago in The Good Place, nothing new here

tumblr_p36m07BIna1txl6nno1_r1_540.gif

and iconic Brazilian singer Elza Soares titled her latest album Deus E Mulher (God Is a Woman) 2 months ago too.

If you believe in god, you'd better get used to it : If you think he's a just a white male, you're canceled.

1 hour ago, RUADJAI said:

Yeah its an obvious jab at a southerner's idea of a Christian God. It sounds weird but if you're smart you know why, if she said it straight forward in a non sarcastic way it would have been maybe more classic but less of a statement. 

Had she done it all Justify My Love, it would have been, "oh that witch still breathing?" I never liked the twangy accent she does, but she must. And Ariana lipsyncing it in the video is even better.

10 hours ago, xavier said:

Im glad M did this for what it’s worth. Better this thN nothing, but why not be on the actual song. Not just a video. Totally wasted opportunity. And then if your gonna do a speaking part in a video you could at least be in it too. Lol

I don't see it as a "wasted opportunity".  Though, I wish they did it a little different, rather having Ariana miming Madonna as if she was actually saying it herself.  I think it would have been cool to have Ariana go to this majestic place (such as Heaven) and then we hear this booming voice (Madonna) coming from a beam of light. Ariana maybe kneeling while the voice speaks. 

This seemed like a last minute thought to add Madonna.  Madonna wasn't available, so they probably asked her to record some monologue and then inserted it in there.  

No casual viewer is going to know it's Madonna unless someone tells them or they read it in the comments or what not.  Anyway, it's cute.  The song... typical Max Martin sound we've been hearing for years now.  Not horrible, not great either.  Just "meh".   I instantly thought of some of Katy Perry's songs when hearing this.  

50 minutes ago, Liam said:

I don't see it as a "wasted opportunity".  Though, I wish they did it a little different, rather having Ariana miming Madonna as if she was actually saying it herself.  I think it would have been cool to have Ariana go to this majestic place (such as Heaven) and then we hear this booming voice (Madonna) coming from a beam of light. Ariana maybe kneeling while the voice speaks. 

This seemed like a last minute thought to add Madonna.  Madonna wasn't available, so they probably asked her to record some monologue and then inserted it in there.  

No casual viewer is going to know it's Madonna unless someone tells them or they read it in the comments or what not.  Anyway, it's cute.  The song... typical Max Martin sound we've been hearing for years now.  Not horrible, not great either.  Just "meh".   I instantly thought of some of Katy Perry's songs when hearing this.  

Yeah seems rushed. Just wish M could have filmed a cameo and or actually be on the track not just video.

5 minutes ago, xavier said:

Yeah seems rushed. Just wish M could have filmed a cameo and or actually be on the track not just video.

I don't see it as "rushed" either.  I don't think they really thought about it or thought they could get Madonna to contribute to the song/video.  Maybe they didn't think about it until the last minute.  Everything sounds fine to me on Madonna's part.  Maybe if they actually thought further in advance in bringing Madonna in, they could have had a cameo of some sort.  The voice does the job though. 

To me, it's great no matter what because those Ariana fans who aren't too familiar of Madonna, gets a glimpse and maybe they will take some time to research Madonna more.

On 7/13/2018 at 3:23 PM, Liam said:

Pretty awesome.  Obviously, 'God' has a southern accent.  LOL!  I agree with another poster, at first you wonder "is that really her", but for me it was a split second and I knew it was her. Her voice sounds very much like she sounded when performing "The Funny Song" on the the Drowned World Tour.

I'm glad all this drama behind Madonna being featured on an Arianna track wasn't all wasted.  I'm happy to admit I was partially wrong in thinking it wasn't going to happen.  Though, she's only part of the video, not the actual song. 

BAAAAAAAAHAHAHA OMG I was just going to post how abnormally Southern she sounds. Dying