A bit of reflection on Blond Ambition Tour

Kieran

Firstly, BA is obviously a pivotal, iconic moment not only in M's career but our culture. I have for many years loved the whole concept and 'in-your-face' Madonna. I think personally not having access to the full show for a good few years - until I tracked a VHS down on ebay in circa 2000, made this tour become some kind of holy grail to me. I still do love it. LAV - PDP section is truly M's live high point of me.

However, when I think of the more recent shows I am starting to think that they are more 'solid'. Yes, there are a few setlist issues, but reflecting on BA now, I find the whole Dick Tracy and Cherish parts a little cheap. They are certainly of their time, I know. But for those of us who did not get to see the show in person - or who became fans after the whole BA impact, did we allow the cinematic footage of TOD to 'skew' our perception of the show? When I watch MDNA, that is a show that I can watch in its entirety without skipping (perhaps Hung Up at a push). i don't think I could say that same about BA these days.

Is it just time that does this?

Can M's tours ever be compared to one another fairly?

The last question is the keyword, IMO.

BA happened at a time when technology couldn't allow her to do what she did in 2012, therefore she had to rely on her actual performance a bit more than she had to in recent years. The Dick Tracy/Cherish segment may not be up to par with the LAV/LAP/PDP one, but the whole show still stands as one her finest, if not her best. 

These days, I don't think she'd choose to finish her show a capella, which she did then. BA is all about Madonna's charisma, and that Keep it together rendition (including that wonderful choreography and that ending) is an exclamation mark that perfectly defines what she was about at that time.

I have to say, seeing it live, it does change one's perspective and also being around during that time, helps put things in perspective. The whole section where she performs "Into The Groove", "Cherish" and "Material Girl" is obviously her very playful side. It reminds me of the Medley section from Who's That Girl Tour where she performed, "Dress You Up", "Material Girl" and "Like A Virgin".  Those sections were simply fun and her having fun. I didn't see anything "cheap" about it. At the time, there were very few artists who were putting on such theatrical shows and I think she was setting a standard with this show for others to follow in the future, including herself. It seemed bigger artists were putting on more grander shows and some were being quite theatrical.

In the end, the show is extremely enjoyable and was very fitting for the times. Before this tour, people were still just singing on a huge empty stage with a few props. Madonna extended that idea on this tour and made it more grander and theatrical.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Cherish mega cheap. The other songs from that part are nice and playful, but Cherish......

lol

I'm also glad I'm not the only one who sees MDNA Tour as lovechild of BAT! They are both incredibly theatrical and great conceptually. It's just that the music on BAT she had to sing was much better. lollllllll

Hopefully we'll continue to see theatrical performances from her. I loved S&S but it was just a dance tour.

What can I add? The Blond Ambition World Tour represents Madonna's transition from a dancer who happened to sing to a dancer who sang and could even perform without talking that much. It's true that during this tour she became more political (and braver) and showed that every song had been chosen with a purpose. For me it's her 'greatest hits tour' par excellence. The fact that every act is so well defined woud make her pioneer in the matter of creating live shows. I'm not a expert on this but sure other females and even Michael Jackson would take her as a reference in the future.

I wish I had had the opportunity to see her with this show, in all her glory (#1s singles, heavy video rotation on music channels, the scandal with the Church, etc.) but I wasn't even born :Madonna011: And also, those exclusive video releases such as the laserdiscs and the Japanese vhs would make this concert probably one of the most difficult to find... I remember downloading a very LQ file of the Yokohama show from Kazaa, it was a striking experience. Now that we have more access to the internet and sharing websites getting any files is so easy.

Those promo pictures taken by Herb Ritts and included on the tourbook would immortalize her forever... I almost cried when I got it through ebay along with the Japanese vhs, that picture from the Express Yourself video is so iconic :angel:

Finally, it's also true that every tour has had its impact on pop culture, but any of the ones that would come later would change history as much as Blond Ambition did. How impressive is that even the Pope was worried about its influence on people :Madonna020: Younger artists (with better voices and dance moves) have come and gone but any of them have destroyed taboos to become labeled as legends in the music industry.

Posted Image

Madonna rulz :heart: :heart: :heart:

I'm so glad I was there during her rise to fame in the 80's. It definitely gives a fan a true perspective for the type of artist she's become. I think a lot of younger fans take for granted who Madonna is and what she does. Some put these werid expectations on her that make no sense to me. During the 80's and even early part of the 90's, we didn't expect shit. We just enjoyed it. We didn't over analyze the music and dissect it to death. We just enjoyed it. Seriously? This is Madonna's music. Much of her rise to fame are from songs that were fun and lively... with a touch of controversy that look like nothing today.

These days, Madonna is considered a saint to the media and the public. Back in the 80's and 90's, she was torn to shreds. It's nothing like you see today. Most people who go after Madonna today, are simply looking for attention, knowing mentioning her name will get them attention. Back in the day, Madonna's talent and purpose in the music world was always in question. She was considered nothing more than a tramp in the pop world. Still she was part of a time when music went through a new revolution. She was part of the music video explosion.

I don't get the talk about "Cherish" being 'cheap'??  It's a fun song and the way it was performed was fun. She took the idea of Mermaids and dressed men (as in the video) as Mermen. It's just another way for Madonna to turn the pages on sexism which was going on during her rise, and using women as sex objects.

I think as a fan, aside from the music and videos, her tours really give us a chance to look deep into her artistic and creative thoughts. Making something her own and sharing it. I don't get that from her music. To be honest, I'm not too fond of the path in music she has taken. Lyric wise. I really don't enjoy her new material from MDNA... select fews that I really DO enjoy.  It's just a personal preference and I accept that. People grow, times change and I can't expect anything. But I haven;t let that stray me from my complete love of Madonna as an icon and artist.  She will always be #1 on my playlist.

Back on topic lol... I look back at the BAT and only think of growth.  In that time from the Who's That Girl Tour to the Blond Ambition Tour.  I suppose even from the Virgin Tour to the Who's That Girl tour, there was a MAJOR image change.  And I think that really excited people.  I was only 5 at the time but I think when people saw her appear on stage with that cone bra, it almost seemed like she was nude underneath that blazer! It was shocking if you were 6 or 7 rows back and couldn't see the monitors. My parents went and saw the show and that was what they could recall.  They thought she was nude and it excited people when she blasted into Express Yourself.  My dad remembers people holding their breath when she started to take off the blazer in the second verse.  Was she naked? He remembers seeing her light up and shine and when the light settled, she was wearing this sexy cone bra.  They didn't watch news reports on it, didn't see pictures.  They didn't know.  So seeing that for the first time was exciting and fresh and seeing Madonna movie into a different reinvention.

I think as a fan, aside from the music and videos, her tours really give us a chance to look deep into her artistic and creative thoughts. Making something her own and sharing it. I don't get that from her music. To be honest, I'm not too fond of the path in music she has taken. Lyric wise. I really don't enjoy her new material from MDNA... select fews that I really DO enjoy.  It's just a personal preference and I accept that. People grow, times change and I can't expect anything. But I haven;t let that stray me from my complete love of Madonna as an icon and artist.  She will always be #1 on my playlist.

Back on topic lol... I look back at the BAT and only think of growth.  In that time from the Who's That Girl Tour to the Blond Ambition Tour.  I suppose even from the Virgin Tour to the Who's That Girl tour, there was a MAJOR image change.  And I think that really excited people.  I was only 5 at the time but I think when people saw her appear on stage with that cone bra, it almost seemed like she was nude underneath that blazer! It was shocking if you were 6 or 7 rows back and couldn't see the monitors. My parents went and saw the show and that was what they could recall.  They thought she was nude and it excited people when she blasted into Express Yourself.  My dad remembers people holding their breath when she started to take off the blazer in the second verse.  Was she naked? He remembers seeing her light up and shine and when the light settled, she was wearing this sexy cone bra.  They didn't watch news reports on it, didn't see pictures.  They didn't know.  So seeing that for the first time was exciting and fresh and seeing Madonna movie into a different reinvention.

You're so right. All this chatter beforehand never happened. Whatever she did, just happened. Of course, then it was talk around the 'water cooler'. That started quite early on in her career:

Like A Virgin (the song): I remember the lyrics and song title offended people or got people hot under the collar. Never before did pop radio air a song with the word "virgin" in it so blatantly as Madonna has done in this song. Also, at this time girls started dressing like her and the art of wearing/exposing your bras/underwear was popular. Oh the conservatives were just annoyed as hell.

Material Girl: I remember a lot of people gave her shit because they thought she was ripping off Marilyn Monroe, and that only esculated more when she released True Blue and came out with a new look, sporting plantinum blonde cropped short hair (much like Marilyn). She even started taking on this girly/ditsy persona (which coincided with the filming and release of Who's That Girl?)

Papa Don't Preach: By now, she had gotten a lot of negative press over her husbands legal issues and the filming of their film together. This song only esculated criticisms from both sides of the issues. Religious leaders were telling her to "don't preach" as well as those who support abortion. She couldn't win here. The relgious community had issue of her portraying a character having a child out of wedlock while those who support "free choice" to do with their bodies, took issue that she was preaching about "keeping her baby".

Open Your Heart: Sparked a lot of controversy over the video and gave us the first glimpse of the cone brazier. By now, people knew of her nude spread that appeared in Playboy a few years prior which only caused more criticism, and labeling her some very nasty names. Not only that, the fact she had a 12 year old boy in her video, hanging out at a strip joint, ruffled some feathers.

Like A Prayer: Became the icing on the cake. She was either one people love to hate or you just got on board and enjoyed the ride. A lot of heavy criticism came down on her at this time.

Express Yourself: Crotch grabbing, caused a lot of uproar and some were saying she was copying Michael Jackson.

Vogue: By this video she was in your face. The cone bras came out again and people were either laughing at her, or criticizing her.

Then comes BAT. People still loved her music. She either made you more of a fan or pissed you off and you hated her. By this time, people were wondering if she has gone too far. And this is before "Justify My Love", "Sex" and "Erotica" came out.

So yeah, a lot of people were constantly shocked at her antics during the 80's and 90's. No one was so in your face (especially overtly sexual) as Madonna had been. Today, a lot of people might think what she did was tame, but back then it wasn't. Much like when Elvis went on TV and thrusted his hips. You look at what he did, and think... "Um yeah? So what?" I know I did when I saw his older stuff, but back in his time, people just didn't do that on mainstream TV or in public. 

What was so enlightening about the whole RAY OF LIGHT era is that she took a hard turn and started acting the way people thought she should. (Though, even then she still did photoshoots where her tits were showing, etc). It was at this time, she earned her due respect. Though with Madonna, she doesn't necessarily like doing what the general public expects. A lot of people put so much expectations on her based on her age. They think that since she's 40, 45, 50, 55, that means she needs to cover up and start recording standard songs. Sorry, but Madonna has always been on the forefront of current music. So it doesn't surprise me, that she's still working with producers that are catered to the youth which is most popular. This idea that she should work with Patrick Leonard again is just silly because they will not bring the same magic they had back in the day. Patrick Leonard isn't cutting edge today.

Being we live in the digital/internet age, it's harder and harder to stay one step ahead of everyone. Now we have access to just about everything right at our fingertips. Most of us wouldn't even known who she was working with until the album was released. That's how it was before the internet. Little blurbs here and there like on MTV or in print would pop up, but still much of what she did was not known until it was released. Today, we know every little sneeze and shit she takes before she does it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so glad I was there during her rise to fame in the 80's. It definitely gives a fan a true perspective for the type of artist she's become. I think a lot of younger fans take for granted who Madonna is and what she does. Some put these werid expectations on her that make no sense to me. During the 80's and even early part of the 90's, we didn't expect shit. We just enjoyed it. We didn't over analyze the music and dissect it to death. We just enjoyed it. Seriously? This is Madonna's music. Much of her rise to fame are from songs that were fun and lively... with a touch of controversy that look like nothing today.

I don't get the talk about "Cherish" being 'cheap'??  It's a fun song and the way it was performed was fun. She took the idea of Mermaids and dressed men (as in the video) as Mermen. It's just another way for Madonna to turn the pages on sexism which was going on during her rise, and using women as sex objects.

I became a fan in 1995 but I can still massively appreciate the impact M had back before those days and the impact of that impact today (lol).

In saying that the Cherish part of BA was 'cheap' what I really meant was that within the context of the rest of the show, it falls a bit flat. Great, great show with brilliant opening, second act and ending - but with Cherish and Material Girl not being as powerful. I don't think these performances visually stand the 'test of time' whereas I think all the other performances do. Timeless stuff. I appreciate them for what they are - and of course there is always a need for the light, fun M.  I just think that it makes the BA show inconsistent - which you might be able to argue other shows didn't have. In spite of an arguably poorer setlist, visually and thematically it is very consistent. That is what I was meaning when I said maybe the shows can't be compared at all. Depends what way you look at it.

I don't like getting too analytical, as you say, but I always kind of wish Following You, Cherish and MG were replaced with stronger visual performances to make BA a 1000% great show! I adore the rest of it.

Great story - I love that :) 

I became a fan in 1995 but I can still massively appreciate the impact M had back before those days and the impact of that impact today (lol).

In saying that the Cherish part of BA was 'cheap' what I really meant was that within the context of the rest of the show, it falls a bit flat. Great, great show with brilliant opening, second act and ending - but with Cherish and Material Girl not being as powerful. I don't think these performances visually stand the 'test of time' whereas I think all the other performances do. Timeless stuff. I appreciate them for what they are - and of course there is always a need for the light, fun M.  I just think that it makes the BA show inconsistent - which you might be able to argue other shows didn't have. In spite of an arguably poorer setlist, visually and thematically it is very consistent. That is what I was meaning when I said maybe the shows can't be compared at all. Depends what way you look at it.

I don't like getting too analytical, as you say, but I always kind of wish Following You, Cherish and MG were replaced with stronger visual performances to make BA a 1000% great show! I adore the rest of it.

I think you have to keep in mind, Madonna always added some sort of wacky performance to break up the monotony.  Prior to BA, on the Who's That Girl, there was the medley where she performed "Dress You Up", "Material Girl", "Like A Virgin" and "I Can't Help Myself".  On the Girlie Show, you could say that wacky section is when she performed "Bye Bye Baby", and "I'm Going Bananas".  On the Drowned World Tour, there was "The Funny Song (Oh Dear Daddy)".  No need to make every song so serious and "powerful" as you stated. It's fun to throw in a bit of craziness. Back then, she didn't have video interludes like she does now to break up the show. 

I wouldn't look at it so seriously and enjoy it for the fun time it was.

• 1 year later...

I would like to speak in this debate, as I have personally experienced that period. Then, the concert, seen on TV, is not the same thing. You can not understand the technology of the times, the BA was highly forward to the age in which it was made, no one, not even MJ did something. Each song had a choreography and the majesty of the scenery did not really make the TV. Some seams, as EY and KIT are fabulous, a real live video-clip. The huge church with fantastic Gothic columns made the atmosphere really shocking ... it looked really huge church. The Madonna concerts I've seen them all after 1990, and no one can compare to BA, the first thing she was beautiful, full of energy and "unreachable" as a true "icon". Second, there being no internet no one knew what would happen and how was the concert, so the surprise was big. My overriding memory was the beginning: the stage was completely empty before EY, there was only the band, I thought it would be a traditional show with nothing special, and was in fact the opposite ... lights, choreography and costumes they were the most for a live show like that ... if you have not seen it is difficult to understand!Obviously, you can not compare to hate technology, made primarily of LED video screens, with that of 1990, of course, as mentioned before, very forefront for that period.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking from my personal experience, I was about 10 when I recorded the Blond Ambition Show off HBO. It was New Years Eve and I had to go to a baby sitters house and so I programmed the VCR to record it. I was determined! But for the next year of my life I got out of school and watched this tour over and over and over and over again. 

The reasons its so great to me;

1. Madonna's energy/personality Her jokes and humor. She used to give so much of herself. 

2. The best fucking setlist EVER with the small exception of Now Im following You. Its ok tho. 

3. The theatrics and how the stage and costumes morphed from song to song. Every song was a new world. 

• 1 year later...

An empty black stage with a drum kit. Hours of sitting on the floor of Wembley in the heat of summer and huge inflatable balls being knocked around by the crowds. As the deafening crowd roared, the lighting and industrial steel sounds pounded and twisted whilst the drum kit parted. And boom..there she was. My idol. Bold and bolshy, larger than life in her power suit and corset, swearing and funny and so incredibly un-British and i loved every minute she was on stage. I,d never seen anything like it in real life. And as for Like a Virgin, it took me a while to realise that it was that song, was so shocking at the time, as were the guys with their pointy bras. Like a Prayer felt like a religious experience as you really felt it inside your rib cage with the bass, drums and lighting that came over the crowd from above. As for the Dick Tracy part, i remember the white curtain getting stuck that wouldn't come down. It was used by people to rush off to the loo. I always thought Cherish was a tribute to Bette Midler as she had used mermaids in wheelchairs in one of her shows. Anyway, if there was any show that gave gay people strength and courage was the Blonde Ambition Tour and all other stars should bow down to her just for giving us that

Guest ArthurBadin

Don't understand why people could even consider MDNA Tour as the "lovechild" of BAT. MDNAT is the "enfant terrible", in a bad way to say it, I mean, it's the ultimate inferior, faux-shocking and embarassing third copycat of BAT as RIT and S&ST were the first two.

Blond Ambition Tour is indeed the ultimate apex of Madonna's career. Not coincidentally, her ultimate peak of visibility, for good and for bad. It's the cherry cake in the golden trilogy of years 1989, 1990 and 1991. Never she would come to something like this again. Never.

The best tour ever for anyone with a minimal of good artistic taste and vision. Sorry anyone else.

Wish I could attend to it, but I was a 7-y.o. child who had another things in mind that time.

My mother is used to hate Madonna, but only watching KIT performance made her heart being conquered by the Queen.

Of course those early posts were made by 2014, when there wasn't a sign yet from Rebel Heart Tour, finally a tour which doesn't seem a pale, stupid, for-dummies version of BAT after years of expectations.

I really laugh at people telling MDNA Tour is something huge in M's career. After decades, Blond Ambition keeps the best of the best. About MDNA Tour, nor the "fantastic" screens, nor the "excellent" platforms which could become everything, even less the amount of cheap and bad extra-tour polemics, will last the next years, let alone the last decades. By the way, who's talking today about that swastika on Marine Le Pen's forehead? Or Interscope-sponsoring Gaga feud? Or the laughable Gang Bang performance? (Don't tell me it was art, it was a cheap and stupid Tarantino tribute as if he was just a blood-frenzy movie screenwriter and director.) But everyone still remembers with caress and pride the ponytail, the Gaultier costumes, the sections, the truly real and more perennial polemics etc.

And, by the way, Cherish could have only male mermaids and a harp, but even so it's more artistic and pure than any MDNA number by far. Michel Laprise did a catastrophic job that only M fans can applaud nowadays. But for everyone else it sounds like... cheap and attention-whoring.

And I don't want to start to make this topic a contender between BAT and MDNA Tour. I wish it was immaculate only with the memory of the glorious Blond Ambition Tour. Bring MDNA Tour to it was quite a sin. Sorry if I sound arrogant at all but I will always defend Blond Ambition with nails and teeth as a Christian defends the "truth" of the Holy Trinity. See you!

• 3 months later...

The 50 Greatest Concerts of the Last 50 Years

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-50-greatest-concerts-of-the-last-50-years-w478854/madonna-blond-ambition-tour-w485933

Madonna Blond Ambition Tour

As Madonna's career was taking off in the mid-Eighties, most of her tours were relatively straightforward affairs, based around her singing and dancing. But for the stadium blowouts that supported her 1989 classic, Like a Prayer, she wanted to up her game. In the process, she reinvented the pop megatour itself. "I really put a lot of myself into it," she said. "It's much more theatrical than anything I've ever done." That year, Madonna had caused a nationwide controversy with the video for "Like a Prayer," which daringly mixed sexual and religious imagery. Blond Ambition extended that provocation and upped the spectacle.

The show opened with Madonna climbing down a staircase into a factory world inspired by German expressionist filmmaker Fritz Lang. She sang in a giant cathedral for "Like a Prayer" and under a beauty-shop hair dryer in "Material Girl." And, most infamously, she simulated masturbation while wearing a cone-shaped bustier on a crimson bed during "Like a Virgin." "The Blond Ambition Tour was what really catapulted her into the stratosphere," says Vincent Paterson, the tour's co-director and choreographer.

Madonna took a hands-on approach to the show, working with her brother, painter Christopher Ciccone, to design sets, and creating the costumes with fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier. "I tried to make the show accommodate my own short attention span," she said. "We put the songs together so there was an emotional arc in the show. I basically thought of vignettes for every song."

Starting out in Japan in April 1990 and hitting the U.S. the following month, the tour grossed almost $63 million. But it didn't go off without any complications: Madonna had to ditch the blond-ponytail hair extensions she wore early in the tour because they kept getting caught in her headset microphone. And in Toronto, the masturbation sequence almost got her and her dancers arrested in what became a bonding moment for her entire crew.

Madonna's close relationship with her collaborators would be a major theme in the blockbuster 1991 tour documentary Truth or Dare, especially in memorable scenes where she invited her backup dancers into her bed. Today, Blond Ambition's over-the-top intimacy is a staple of live pop music, from Lady Gaga to Miley Cyrus. In 1990, it was a revolution. "It was a kind of turning point," says Darryl Jones, who played bass on the tour. "A lot of young girls were watching." Steve Knopper

I'm so jealous of anyone who saw this tour live ?i was 15 and living in the UK but i just didn't have the money or anyone old enough to go with :(( the memories i have of the summer of 1990 will always stay with me until i die ? it was back when Summers lasted forever and we would break up from school - happy times indeed - I remember everyday there were newspaper clippings about the tour which i used to collect (Before the internet of course) and i remember seeing the costumes and thinking wow shes really so unique and there was no one like her in the charts or popular culture at the time - then of course came the weekend of july 20 - London Wembley Stadium - i saw the film Dick Tracy on the friday(Was disappointed with it though and still to this day its not a patch on Batman but hey it looks nice on blu-ray) then saturday and wow - radio 1 broadcast the show live and it was amazing - i was hooked - the atmosphere even on the radio was so amazing  and of course the swearing was hilarious too - to this day its still my favourite tour(memory wise) athough the WTG tour just passes this by a hair mainly because i love the opening of that show so much plus la Isla bonita and the dancing in ITG is insane on that tour too - to me her tours post BA & GS are not the same calibre and thats mainly because shes too focused on the sound and visuals rather than anything else - i love live music and not backing tracks - oh and i can go on all day WHY we still have no official release of this either especially as we have so much interest in re-releasing pointless vinyls of her albums :(( 

• 3 weeks later...

At that very moment you were listening to the radio 1 broadcast, I was in a taxi with my mates going from the pub in Bexley to a club, and the taxi driver had it on in the cab. I didn't want to get out. I had forgotten to record it and never thought I,d hear it again...until I found the bootleg LP