My kind of “Celebration”: Which CD would be your favorite?

Turuncan

My kind of “Celebration”: Which CD would be your favorite?  

12 members voted

1. 1. Which CD would be your favorite?

First of all, I know Madonna already put out her “Celebration” album in the best way she thought, no other can person do it better than she could, she had every right to release it in the way she wanted, who am I to judge her etc etc I know. No need to emphasize that. I just want some opinions. 

I have a thing for the compilation albums, and I usually do not like them the way they are released. I always find a few missing tracks, and to me these spoil the perfection. This is the case for every artist I like, so I listen to my own made-up “Celebration” on my telephone as well.

I already shared it on the thread about making our own “Celebration”, but I always wondered which one of the three discs in my “deluxe” edition would be the favorite of Madonna fans, and why? So here I am, asking your opinions.

Once again, this is just a personal choice and not an attack on Madonna or the actual album.

The versions are the original album versions unless stated otherwise. 

Here I go:

CD #1:

1. Hung Up (the version on the actual “Celebration”)

2. Music

3. Vogue (the original “I’m Breathless” version with the “What are you looking at?” intro added)

4. 4 Minutes

5. Holiday (edit with the original intro)

6. Like a Virgin

7. Into the Groove

8. La Isla Bonita

9. Like a Prayer

10. Ray of Light (the version on the actual “Celebration”)

11. Sorry (the version on the actual “Celebration”)

12. Express Yourself (unedited video version)

13. Dress You Up

14. American Life (edit)

15. Erotica (the version on the actual “Celebration”)

16. Justify My Love

17. Human Nature (video version with the door slams and the “Absolutely no regrets” message in the end)

18. Revolver 

CD #2:

1. Papa Don’t Preach 

2. Material Girl

3. Lucky Star (7’’ Edit)

4. Who’s That Girl?

5. Burning Up

6. Open Your Heart

7. Crazy for You

8. Bad Girl (edit)

9. Frozen (edit with the original long intro added)

10. Secret (the version on the actual “Celebration”)

11. Cherish (7’’ Edit)

12. I’ll Remember

13. Miles Away (the version on the actual “Celebration”)

14. Rain (video edit)

15. Take a Bow (the version on the actual “Celebration”)

16. Nothing Fails (edit)

17. Don’t Tell Me

18. Hollywood

19. It’s So Cool (shorter version)

CD #3:

1. Beautiful Stranger

2. American Pie

3. Die Another Day (edit)

4. Jump (edit)

5. Give It 2 Me (video edit)

6. Deeper and Deeper (7’’ Edit)

7. Everybody (the version on the actual “Celebration”)

8. True Blue

9. Borderline (7’’ Edit)

10. Angel

11. You’ll See (edit)

12. The Power of Good-Bye

13. Get Together (unmixed album version)

14. Keep It Together (Single Remix)

15. Hanky Panky 

16. This Used to Be My Playground (video edit)

17. You Must Love Me (Single Version)

18. Live to Tell

19. Celebration

Isn't the digital age great?  Honestly, I don't re-arrange, add, subtract songs from her collections or studio albums. I have her whole catalog loaded in my device (and on my computer) and I either do a random shuffle of all her tracks or pick a specific album to listen to. Sometimes, I'll shuffle that, and sometimes I will listen in order.  More than ever, I tend to do a random shuffle of her whole catalog.  If I'm not in the mood to listen to a particular song, I'll just skip it.  I did that this morning on my way to work.  Skipped a couple of songs, and then "Holiday" came on. That's exactly what I needed to get my day started.  

I see no point in compiling my own collection based on a specific collection since I just choose her whole catalog to listen to or a specific album, depending on my mood for the time. 

3 hours ago, Liam said:

Isn't the digital age great?  Honestly, I don't re-arrange, add, subtract songs from her collections or studio albums. I have her whole catalog loaded in my device (and on my computer) and I either do a random shuffle of all her tracks or pick a specific album to listen to. Sometimes, I'll shuffle that, and sometimes I will listen in order.  More than ever, I tend to do a random shuffle of her whole catalog.  If I'm not in the mood to listen to a particular song, I'll just skip it.  I did that this morning on my way to work.  Skipped a couple of songs, and then "Holiday" came on. That's exactly what I needed to get my day started.  

I see no point in compiling my own collection based on a specific collection since I just choose her whole catalog to listen to or a specific album, depending on my mood for the time. 

Wow, just what I expected! I actually imagined this as how I would do the actual 2009 album right after it was released. Kudos to you for not re-arranging things, adapting to the digital era and sharing with us how you you you you you... do things. But some people love doing such things and I see no point in finding something to judge even in such a simple sharing.

2 hours ago, Jorick said:

Difficult choice, went for CD1, it has the most of my favorite tracks. It's a good mix between old and new songs. Love these conversations about compilations. I only would change the version of Sorry for the video version.

Would love to hear your versions of Frozen and Vogue @Turuncan?

Thank you. I can share them with you if possible.

36 minutes ago, Turuncan said:

Wow, just what I expected! I actually imagined this as how I would do the actual 2009 album right after it was released. Kudos to you for not re-arranging things, adapting to the digital era and sharing with us how you you you you you... do things. But some people love doing such things and I see no point in finding something to judge even in such a simple sharing.

Oh please!!!! Who is judging who here?  I simply stated how I choose to listen to Madonna as a collection, just as you did.  I never stated it was wrong or right or judged anyone. I just said I see no point for me to do so, since I am able to just have her whole catalog at my disposal and listen at random.  You read far more into my reply than I intended.    :stare:

Celebration was messy but still a commonly played cd in my car, since its conveniently there. I like to take Celebration and add MDNA and Rebel Heart into the mix along with some obviously missing songs. I do see a problem with her catalog after emssing with it. There are a lot of ballads that were hits (thank you 90's) and I have to admit, unless you like switching between fast and slow or party and sober, the ballads group up easily and you're left in a slow, ballad paradise. It's def hard to balance.

6 hours ago, gafuller said:

Celebration was messy but still a commonly played cd in my car, since its conveniently there. I like to take Celebration and add MDNA and Rebel Heart into the mix along with some obviously missing songs. I do see a problem with her catalog after emssing with it. There are a lot of ballads that were hits (thank you 90's) and I have to admit, unless you like switching between fast and slow or party and sober, the ballads group up easily and you're left in a slow, ballad paradise. It's def hard to balance.

I think the real problem stemmed from the fact that whoever was responsible from determining the format of the album thought it would be enough to release the standard version with a single disc and the deluxe one with double discs. She had too many hits and classics to cram into one disc, and therefore deluxe wasn’t even deluxe. In my opinion, the standard release should have been double-disc and the deluxe triple.

31 minutes ago, Turuncan said:

I think the real problem stemmed from the fact that whoever was responsible from determining the format of the album thought it would be enough to release the standard version with a single disc and the deluxe one with double discs. She had too many hits and classics to cram into one disc, and therefore deluxe wasn’t even deluxe. In my opinion, the standard release should have been double-disc and the deluxe triple.

Basically, or do what they love to do... Super Deluxe!!!

10 hours ago, gafuller said:

What track list did that have?

Here it goes:

1. Causing a Commotion

2. Gambler 

3. Spotlight (edit)

4. Fever (Edit 1)

5. Bedtime Story (edit)

6. Nothing Really Matters

7. Bye Bye Baby

8. Rescue Me

9. Don’t Cry for Me Argentina (Miami Mix Edit)

10. Love Profusion

11. Dear Jessie

12. What It Feels like for a Girl

13. Hey You (edit)

14. Oh Father

15. The Look of Love

16. One More Chance

17. Another Suitcase in Another Hall (edit)

18. Love Don’t Live Here Anymore (Soulpower Mix Edit)

19. Drowned World/Substitute for Love (edit)

• 2 months later...