Love for Express Yourself (Shep's 'Spressin' Himself Re- Remix)

schumakg86

So I’m a bit obsessed with this remix lately, included on the “Justify My Love” single. I think of it as “Shep’s Fun with Stems” remix. The more I listen to this epic version, the more questions I have:

1. What’s the story of this mix? Why such a crazy mix of it in 1990? Did they think Justify would sell better with a dancey throwback remix included?

2. What male vocalist is doing the “baby on your own” part? 

3. Kind of an addendum to my first question, but maybe more technical. Were they using computers by this time to edit, or was this all still analog tape? I can’t imagine any PC in 89/90 being able to resist bursting into flames under the pressure this track would present, which I can only imagine was assembled in some sort of caffeine/cocaine-fueled all-nighter.

Anyway, what other Express Yourself mixes do you love? I love the ones on the Like a Prayer single as well, but this one for sure takes the crown in my book.

2 hours ago, schumakg86 said:

So I’m a bit obsessed with this remix lately, included on the “Justify My Love” single. I think of it as “Shep’s Fun with Stems” remix. The more I listen to this epic version, the more questions I have:

1. What’s the story of this mix? Why such a crazy mix of it in 1990? Did they think Justify would sell better with a dancey throwback remix included?

2. What male vocalist is doing the “baby on your own” part? 

3. Kind of an addendum to my first question, but maybe more technical. Were they using computers by this time to edit, or was this all still analog tape? I can’t imagine any PC in 89/90 being able to resist bursting into flames under the pressure this track would present, which I can only imagine was assembled in some sort of caffeine/cocaine-fueled all-nighter.

Anyway, what other Express Yourself mixes do you love? I love the ones on the Like a Prayer single as well, but this one for sure takes the crown in my book.

1. It was included on some JML singles and maxi-singles, Pettibone was big at the time, after remixing Janet and George Michael, and The Immaculate Collection needed a dance hit for tracks to be played in the clubs. EY had been released a year earlier and the remix version had been successful so it made sense to have another reworked version, given that the IC version of the song was the Shep Pettibone remix. In the late 80s / early 90s, 12" mixes would be everywhere and it was not uncommon for singles to feature a previous hit as a b-side.

2. I don't think it's a male vocalist, it's more likely one of the background vocals reworked in a male tone. In comparison, Prince and George Michael have often used female-pitched vocals on their own songs and remixes. Gender bending, they said.

3. LAP was recorded digitally (remember the infamous "what do you mean it's not in the computer"). Madonna being a high profile artist and one of the most daring, including in the studio, she had access to new technologies and worked with highly skilled engineers. Studio computer were not "PCs" as you might think of, they were professional machines designed for sound recording and processing. Producers and remixers like Shep Pettibone would work on their new versions in the studio (which cost a lot of money, hence the single release). Home studios, on which the whole recording process can be made, came later in the 90s, and the first equipments couldn't allow such tracks to de made. 

5 hours ago, RUADJAI said:

This mix sounds like "Shep loves Madonna's vocal" mix. 

"Never calm down" is a male vocalist

"Baby on your own" is Madonna singing. Not pitched down. That's why she barely his the note. ?

Ah yes, my mistake. "Never come down!" is what sounds like a male vocalist who has a bit of a cold, but could very well be gender-bending pitching down of someone else.

R-2119282-1445170755-6059.jpeg.jpg

R-2119282-1514124658-7024.jpeg.jpg

I believe some editions of the CD single Part 1 has a misprint regarding the inclusion of this fabulous remix. The artwork and the disc itself state the CD single includes this version but when you put it on the CD player the regular Immaculate Collection version sounds instead. So disappointing. I doubt the US digipack edition that includes all the remixes of Justify My Love has this problem. I finally managed to get Japanese edition of Rescue Me so I have all the TIC remixes in one CD only lol (I hate digipacks so I've never bothered).

R-689244-1358422873-1557.jpeg.jpg

R-689244-1358422905-8005.jpeg.jpg

It's curious how the Japanese just relabelled it as Express Yourself (1990) :lord: 

On 8/19/2018 at 3:24 PM, madgefan said:

R-2119282-1445170755-6059.jpeg.jpg

R-2119282-1514124658-7024.jpeg.jpg

I believe some editions of the CD single Part 1 has a misprint regarding the inclusion of this fabulous remix. The artwork and the disc itself state the CD single includes this version but when you put it on the CD player the regular Immaculate Collection version sounds instead. So disappointing. I doubt the US digipack edition that includes all the remixes of Justify My Love has this problem. I finally managed to get Japanese edition of Rescue Me so I have all the TIC remixes in one CD only lol (I hate digipacks so I've never bothered).

R-689244-1358422873-1557.jpeg.jpg

R-689244-1358422905-8005.jpeg.jpg

It's curious how the Japanese just relabelled it as Express Yourself (1990) :lord: 

This thread is exactly why I love Madonna fans. Imagine if we all worked in government, shit would get done.