Madonna to present Video of the Year at the VMAs TONIGHT!

Lum

The speech would have been great, had it actually been about Aretha, and not about herself. A very self-indulgent moment. Harkens back to the time when she gave a speech about Michael Jackson, and spent much of that time talking about herself. Sadly not a shining moment for her.

As for the look, it was rather too much. It gave me recollections of this 

nintchdbpict000306005552.jpg?strip=all&w

2 hours ago, Debrah said:

the speech was bullshit but what bothers me most is the lying. She's told this story many times (being auditioned by the 2 french producers) and every time she said that she hadn't prepared a song and came up with a rendition of JINGLE BELLS ..! Oh and now it's suddenly an Aretha song she sang ? how interesting. Wait until another legend passes and we'll get a whole new version of that story. What bullshit that was.

The look was... original, even if I don't know if I like it, but the speech... What disturbs me is not the fact that she spoke about herself that much, what disturbs me was all the reinveted history about her audition for Patrick Hernandez. I mean this story is well known, why lie about it just to make a connection with Aretha. We all have internet and can check the historical accuracy, why did she say that ? I don't get it...

The whole things is hilarous and i love it ! Reminds me of the old M. I love the outfit and the fact she takes risks again, after she's the one who showed up at awards ceremony dressed as a bride, as an indian goddess, as a cowgirl, etc... now for the speech it's totally hillarous, only her can do something like that, turning a tribute all about herself and this time she did it to max ! The only thing i don't like is the stuff she does one her face, especially the cheeks that seems to be back full force. She lookq much better and younger when she's at home and all those stuff settle down. Finally she makes the headlines and stole the show without even performing ! Good going girl ! She's been using the "buzz" method for 35 years, i can eve  say she created it, and it still works after all those years ! Bitch you're Madonna ! 

Aretha was an Inspiration for her - queen of soul INSPIRED queen of pop. And she was asked to mention Aretha and decided to tell her personal story. So she told a personal story regarding the INFLUENCE Aretha had on her. Like NowRadiate pointed out.

her speech ended like this:

“So. You are probably all wondering why I am telling you this story. There is a connection, because none of this would have happened, could have happened, without our lady of soul. She lead me to where I am today. And I know she influenced so many people in this house tonight. In this room tonight. And I want to thank you, Aretha, for empowering all of us. R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Long live the queen.”

That's just how she related to Aretha. And as usual she gets bashed for her point of view. 

4 minutes ago, groovyguy said:

Aretha was an Inspiration for her - queen of soul INSPIRED queen of pop. And she was asked to mention Aretha and decided to tell her personal story. So she told a personal story regarding the INFLUENCE Aretha had on her. Like NowRadiate pointed out.

her speech ended like this:

“So. You are probably all wondering why I am telling you this story. There is a connection, because none of this would have happened, could have happened, without our lady of soul. She lead me to where I am today. And I know she influenced so many people in this house tonight. In this room tonight. And I want to thank you, Aretha, for empowering all of us. R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Long live the queen.”

That's just how she related to Aretha. And as usual she gets bashed for her point of view. 

The point is she is terrible at tributes to other artists, always has been. She should not be asked to do it. She is very good at doing acceptance speeches and other topics were she can talk about herself and she does it well. Last night was tragic. It is not that it was calculated or that she wanted to take a dig at Franklin, it was just a bad speech and felt out of place. She was talking about her own struggle as an artist in front of an image of Frankling. Not good optics. And that terrible wardrobe didn't help.

It was rambling and yeah a bit tone deaf.  If she wasn't going off a script it could be more understandable. (edit: it appears it wasn't a script, they asked her beforehand to add her own Aretha story: credit to M here on this) Maybe she was nervous.  I know when I'm speaking & nervous I add too much to what I'm saying.  It wasn't billed as an Aretha tribute officially, but her picture was behind Madonna during the speech.  

Nothing wrong with being anecdotal during a tribute, however official it was, but I just think it was unintentionally sloppy on Madonna's part.  

As for those screaming cultural appropriation on social media, there is a STARK difference between paying homage to a culture and MOCKING a culture.  Madonna pays homage & always has. 

I thought her MJ tribute was the best.  I don't remember people complaining about it so much either as w/ Prince & now Aretha.

Maybe Madonna shouldn't show up for tributes and should just PERFORM her own songs on the VMAs again.  I can't believe its been 15 years.

42 minutes ago, devilpray said:

This just another "and so was I" speech. Lmao.

Exactly. I didn't understand the hate with the Prince tribute, but I did with the MJ tribute and the Aretha tribute. Having said that, the Aretha tribute was the worst and that outfit... OMG. All of the love she received during the first 3 weeks of August is shot. SMH

I am still wondering why she didn't appeared in Ariana Grande performance.

Since Ariana said she was to perform at the VMAs I was hoping for a Madonna appearance and when Madonna said she was going to be on the show I thought it would be for sure.

But it didn't happend. She was in the Radio City Music Hall but didn't perform, just was out and spoke about her and gave the big award.

And what about the dress... I don't like. I prefer the Madonna as in the VOGUE ITALIA photoshoot, not in her 60th party. I wanted to watch her bright and beautiful, not in disguise, but there she was. I am stil waiting for see all the audience standing at her feet.

I love VMAs, I watched every year with my friends in the house since 1998 and it was incredible to see her on it since 2009.

Maybe next year to see her singing?

34 minutes ago, lmvc said:

I am still wondering why she didn't appeared in Ariana Grande performance.

Since Ariana said she was to perform at the VMAs I was hoping for a Madonna appearance and when Madonna said she was going to be on the show I thought it would be for sure.

But it didn't happend. She was in the Radio City Music Hall but didn't perform, just was out and spoke about her and gave the big award.

This has become the standard tbh. She makes appearances and speaks. We got lucky with the RH era. 

I loved everything about it: the look, the speech, and the attitude. IF you listen carefully to what she says following the Aretha Franklin tribute video, you'll be reminded why Madonna is a pop/rock star. Like Madonna, Franklin did it her way and never was a puppet. I love how she basically told her audience to pick up an instrument when she spoke about leaving her Paris offer to learn to play guitar. This is making the headlines for petty reasons, but then again what's new? I have a feeling this is the personae of the next album: Amazon Warrior. An artist with a message to deliver. 

5 hours ago, PWCCA said:

The speech would have been great, had it actually been about Aretha, and not about herself. A very self-indulgent moment. Harkens back to the time when she gave a speech about Michael Jackson, and spent much of that time talking about herself. Sadly not a shining moment for her.

As for the look, it was rather too much. It gave me recollections of this 

nintchdbpict000306005552.jpg?strip=all&w

exactly!

You ROCK!