Fanmade Bootlegs for Sale - What do we think?

vncsmoraes

Pretty much what the title says.

How do you guys feel about fans selling bootlegs of show/music videos/whatever has not been officially released?

Personally, I don't mind them. I only own one myself (Blond Ambition Yokohama on Blu-Ray), which is just the file we've always had of the Blond Ambition upscaled for 1080p and (unfortunately) cropped to a 16:9 aspect ratio and remixed to a Dolby Digital 5.1 surround audio. Do I like or find it fair to both fans and Madonna that these exist? No, I don't. But unfortunately, it's the only way to own a physical copy of a LOT of M's catalogue, most notably her tours.

Do you guys own any? Do you hate them with a fiery passion? Do you have them but you made them yourselves and don't sell them?

Let's discuss.

941913-1393991033-wide.jpg.c728c220f54672c2d93bdf509f362606.jpg

I've made my fair share of CD's/DVD's for every artist I've been a fan/stan of over the years. That being said I don't particularly mind them,but selling them is against the law as it falls into the piracy/copyright infringement territory in many countries,including the U.S. But to whoever makes them and sells them,they're fools especially since that material can be freely downloaded if you know how to.

All I can say is: Warner HAD the opportunity to release them into PROPER Blu - ray format. Just imagine the Drowned World Tour without the blurry quality of the video and the Blond Ambition Tour in its most pristine state BUT NO, PIONEER WANTS IT TO BE A LASERDISC EXCLUSIVE. 

9 hours ago, *mlvc* said:

I don’t have a thing against them. It’s not our fault that these things aren’t otherwise available.

Exactly - Warners and M have probably lost millions due to their inability to meet her fanbase and when they do eventually release something its either terrible quality(Celebration DVD) or incomplete releases - they havent even capitalised on her concerts which surely would have been huge sellers (BA being the most obvious) and if someone says Pioneer still hold the rights i will shoot them !! that cant be the case nearly 30 years later

7 hours ago, BloodRayne said:

I've made my fair share of CD's/DVD's for every artist I've been a fan/stan of over the years. That being said I don't particularly mind them,but selling them is against the law as it falls into the piracy/copyright infringement territory in many countries,including the U.S. But to whoever makes them and sells them,they're fools especially since that material can be freely downloaded if you know how to.

It falls into fair use in some countries due to there not having been an official release of the material (except for the music videos and stuff like the WTGT, TGS, DWT and CT, which I don't know how they get away with releasing).

And even though everything is available online, not everybody has the software/hardware to make physical copies for themselves, which is the main reason, I think, these bootlegs even exist.

4 hours ago, natalis said:

^ But they could easily release one of those televised versions, didn't they film a few different shows?

Beyond the Pioneer filmed release,the Barcelona & Nice shows were filmed professionally. Barcelona's show is very rough and would probably not benefit from a release due to all of the errors that night. Nice does have a master version from the Warner archives that leaked so it must have been prepared for release at one point (along with The Virgin Tour).The Houston concert is also available although it's sporadic as to what's truly available from that concert. There's rumored to be other pro-shot concerts in trading circles but who knows if they'll ever make it out of there.

Frank Zappa took the artwork from a bunch of bootleg CD's & reprinted them himself.
I think some had 'extras' too.
He said 'if people want this....'
And he pocketed the cheque.
It's hard enough trying to FIND a Lossless/CD quality of so many of her Madgeness' that it's sadly no surprise.
U really mean to say if my fascination with this woman really picks up...I'd have to buy bootleg DVD's ?
Be happy = U CAN...say a million Donna Summer, etc etc etc Fans ?

13 hours ago, vncsmoraes said:

It falls into fair use in some countries due to there not having been an official release of the material (except for the music videos and stuff like the WTGT, TGS, DWT and CT, which I don't know how they get away with releasing).

And even though everything is available online, not everybody has the software/hardware to make physical copies for themselves, which is the main reason, I think, these bootlegs even exist.

It isn't that hard to make bootlegs if you have the money to buy a cheap CD/DVD burner,a cheap spindle of blank DVD-R's and you know how to use Google. There are also a million freeware CD/DVD burners that work,including burners built internally in a PC/Mac. It's not rocket science lol.

• 3 weeks later...