Why wasn't ghosttown a hit for MADONNA

tricky ricky

I don't understand why it wasn't a part of the tour setlist either. It was a single after all. I was lucky enough that she performed it at the show I attended in Philadelphia, where the crowd was very receptive to it. It was a powerful moment in the show because it's such an emotional song. 

1 minute ago, fiercemighty said:

I don't understand why it wasn't a part of the tour setlist either. It was a single after all. I was lucky enough that she performed it at the show I attended in Philadelphia, where the crowd was very receptive to it. It was a powerful moment in the show because it's such an emotional song. 

too hard to sing every tour night perhaps ?? tbh she sings it well live despite getting words mixed up lol

49 minutes ago, fiercemighty said:

Bad Girl

Take A Bow

Nothing Really Matters

Love Profusion

Not only Ghosttown...

8 minutes ago, AspergerArtist said:

Maybe it was just boring. I never liked it. The production on it felt generic. Thrown together, like Love Spent and Masterpiece. Good songs on paper but wasted in the studio. 

I think Falling Free should have gotten more love over Love Spent (the album version). FF is such a beautiful song and it's sad that she was considering it for the MDNA Tour but cast it away.

Hits are built on radio and streaming. Madonna's streaming is poor, especially for new stuff and radio doesn't play her stuff, no matter how good it is.

I know people who are just apathetic towards her because she isn't one of the young ones, they respect her and her legacy, but they just don't care enough to check out her music, no matter how good.

It is these reasons that, even if she has a spectacular album next year, having a hit will be difficult. 

Also it is hard for a 20 something and 60 something to relate to one another. To expand on the above, many young women I know think Madonna is awesome, but they have their own to look up to, like Cardi B and Beyonce and so on, they relate to those women more.

Not sure how many here listened to music by singers in their 50's and 60's when they were in their 20's, but I assume not a lot. Yeah it is partly ageism, but it is also young people just don't connect to Madonna. she is a 60 year old mother of six who's life is so far removed from theirs. 

I honestly think no matter how good the music is, Madonna having a hit will be a struggle for those reasons. Not saying it can never happen, but it will be tough.

34 minutes ago, me1981 said:

Hits are built on radio and streaming. Madonna's streaming is poor, especially for new stuff and radio doesn't play her stuff, no matter how good it is.

I know people who are just apathetic towards her because she isn't one of the young ones, they respect her and her legacy, but they just don't care enough to check out her music, no matter how good.

It is these reasons that, even if she has a spectacular album next year, having a hit will be difficult. 

Also it is hard for a 20 something and 60 something to relate to one another. To expand on the above, many young women I know think Madonna is awesome, but they have their own to look up to, like Cardi B and Beyonce and so on, they relate to those women more.

Not sure how many here listened to music by singers in their 50's and 60's when they were in their 20's, but I assume not a lot. Yeah it is partly ageism, but it is also young people just don't connect to Madonna. she is a 60 year old mother of six who's life is so far removed from theirs. 

I honestly think no matter how good the music is, Madonna having a hit will be a struggle for those reasons. Not saying it can never happen, but it will be tough.

she has fans though surely ...fans who will buy the singles ...i mean her albums go top ten so why cant her singles especially the first single ...i just don't think many people fans even buy her music anymore :( they don't support her like they used to do 

38 minutes ago, me1981 said:

yeah i think youre right i mean its happening to loads of artists who have been going for over 20 years its not just madonna its every artist from the 80s ....its not even that people wont like her music they will listen to it they just wont buy it i guess her being mega rich doesnt help much 

I don't think the song was that great. I've grown to love it but initially it sounded like a Wrecking Ball wannabe with some Cher autotune. This was something that seemed to run through Rebel Heart the album as a whole for me, a feeling it was contrived and forced. 

I wouldn't mind if she performed it on tour stripped down. No musical gimmicks. Just her and a guitar.

5 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

I don't think the song was that great. I've grown to love it but initially it sounded like a Wrecking Ball wannabe with some Cher autotune. This was something that seemed to run through Rebel Heart the album as a whole for me, a feeling it was contrived and forced. 

I wouldn't mind if she performed it on tour stripped down. No musical gimmicks. Just her and a guitar.

nothing like wrecking ball

1 hour ago, tricky ricky said:

she has fans though surely ...fans who will buy the singles ...i mean her albums go top ten so why cant her singles especially the first single ...i just don't think many people fans even buy her music anymore :( they don't support her like they used to do 

The issue is more, I find fans tend to buy/collect physical copies, which doesn't equate to much on the charts anymore compared to airplay and streaming. Hung Up is a great example of that. It was the top selling single in the US the week it hit #7 on the BB charts, but did not get enough airplay to go #1 where it should have been.

Now streaming and airplay count more than sales, since physical sales started to count less, Madonna's ability to have a hit has dwindled, once radio blacklisted her it was pretty much over. I know other factors are involved, but these are the major ones.

RH was a little different. I was shocked when many fans at the time on forums basically refused to buy the album as they had the leaked demos and thought they were far better. 

Miley, Taylor and the others can put out mediocre music and have a big hit, Madonna doesn't have that luxury. She has a lot working against her. I have no doubt if Miley or Taylor or Beyonce had released Ghosttown and it sounded the exact same, it would have done well.

If somewhow she puts out a song that goes viral and gets amazing streams, then maybe radio will pick it up and she can have another hit single. I know it is possible, though it isn't as easy for her as it is others

8 hours ago, CYSMM said:

Bad Girl

Take A Bow

Nothing Really Matters

Love Profusion

Not only Ghosttown...

Here in Brasil/Brazil

Bad Girl was number 1 hit in radios for weeks. I mean weeks in a row. I still remember my relatives mentioning "Madonna is really beautiful in that video - kinda Dietrich-ish - a silver screen presence!"

Take a Bow was a HUGE HUGE - OVERWHELMING hit - even non-fans love this song to date.

its 1995 biggest hit - and God knows she had some serious competitors.

Nothing really matters was a hit among dancefloor oriented radio stations - mostly the club 69 remix had a great reception and had a lot of spins all over the now named top 40 radios back in the day.

------------------------------

Love Profusion and Ghosttown you are right though - they weren't flops, radios actually never played them. 

a hit can be made by radio, but not only them.