Why does the younger generation hate Madonna?

PayneMusically

5 hours ago, madgefan said:

I believe last time Michael Jackson was evidently successful and well respected across the globe was during the Dangerous era which kind of ended with the child abuse accusations. It's funny that today MJ the artist is way more revered than Madonna by the general audience despite all the shit he had to go through in his later years. Let's not forget he was an artist that kept on repeating the same formula with regard to his performances and that maybe perpetuated the respect towards his early work. He also has multiple compilations that were released to remind the public of his hits, something Madonna's catalogue has been treated differently. 

Had she continued with Warner, her discography might have been handled with more care.

Once her contract with Interscope ends she should go with warner again or another record company that actually would handle her work with care. Massive promotion. Live performances. Give her full creative control. Etc.

They only love what's trending... they don't really care about anything. New generations...

When she dies, they will love her. Same with MJ (remember how everyone was making fun of him 10 years before he died...who among youngsters knew David Bowie or Prince?... and then it was popular to know them...

12 hours ago, Adrian said:

They only love what's trending... they don't really care about anything. New generations...

When she dies, they will love her. Same with MJ (remember how everyone was making fun of him 10 years before he died...who among youngsters knew David Bowie or Prince?... and then it was popular to know them...

That's screwed up.

Because she is the queen of pop simples which makes her a threat to their queens etc ...i mean the younger generation call a fart iconic ffs ...and selena gomez a queen ...

really lol ...

plus madonna is old enough to prob be their mum so they see it as omg this woman is dancing about flicking her hair etc and the thought of their mums doing so gives them a sense of dread the difference is their mum is not madonna lol ...

13 hours ago, Adrian said:

Yeah but neither Bowie or Prince had big mainstream success for YEARS, Prince last had a hit in 1994 and Bowie the 80s

Madonna was having huge international smashes until the late 2000s, so the comparisons to those two legends aren't really appropriate

On 12/22/2018 at 5:37 AM, Winn said:

She's her own worst enemy lots of times; does things to piss ppl off or the press calls her "thirsty,"then that's what the kids read about.

Yeah, cause when she donated $7.500.000 on Malawi, many appreciated her for this. More like no one cared cause they couldn't drag her.. tragic. The world is just toxic, simple.

9 hours ago, Mp1992 said:

Yeah but neither Bowie or Prince had big mainstream success for YEARS, Prince last had a hit in 1994 and Bowie the 80s

Madonna was having huge international smashes until the late 2000s, so the comparisons to those two legends aren't really appropriate

true, but new generations don't give a shit...

It is a generational thing. It doesn't have to be necessarily ageism, although it is there too.

As kids or teens, we all were stanning artists that were huge at that time. Artists from the past, who were still active, didn't get our attention, no matter how great they were. Simple as that. And the same thing still happens.

I didn't hate older artists, in fact, I thought Madonna was cool. I enjoyed watching some of her classic videos, before becoming a stan. I think it isn't common for kids and teens  to like older artists. They build their individual taste later in life, but many of them keep liking what is served to them, in other words commercial music for masses.

Now, we live in an Internet era, where everyone can express themselves. There are many new female artists and their fans will express hate towards Madonna while defending their faves. Why? Well, there could be many reasons. Gaga thing shouldn't be explained. Others could hate her because Madonna is the queen of pop. The superior one. The supreme. Untouchable. If Ariana fans think Ariana is the best, then there is no space for Madonna, hence the hate.

There is also jealousy. For example, some Mariah fans call her fave "the best selling female artist" and even Mariah's team does the same. Madonna achieved so much. Other girls could only dream of about it. Most new popular artists are basic in every way (music, videos, looks). There is no individuality. Fans of those artists think they are the best and do something huge and groundbreaking. It is all over-hyped by those fans, by public or media. The standards are lowered and trash music is put on a throne.

And Internet does affect music in a bad way. Streaming, YT and whatever create official charts. There is too much of the same songs on charts. No diversity like in the 80s or the 90s. It is just the most commercial music most of the time. Could these days some grunge song become a hit? Or some melancholic ballad like This Used To Be My Playground? Kitsch is present more than ever.

Anyway, Madonna is still relevant. There are haters or media who say she isn't, but there are proofs that confirm she is. People still talk about her. Her messy moments on Instagram, Brits fiasco, statements... Do people make such a big deal about what Cyndi Lauper does?

Besides that, Madonna is still a touring force. She is still able to influence others (just look at SB performances done after Madonna's one). She scored a top 10 hit with GMAYL in USA. Maybe it wasn't really a hit song, but she reached a good spot on charts. Also, MDNA sold 2 millions and RH sold 1 million. This is great for an artist who started career in 1982. And let's not forget that other artists struggle to sell too. Gaga's latest album sales are similar to Madonna's. This only shows that Madonna is still a competition. She is still on the map.

I think Madonna herself told that getting older and still doing things is the most controversial thing she did. None other artist had such a constant success. That's way even older people, who are fans of other legendary artists, hate her. 

I think there's a few things at play, and I wouldn't just say that this generation is just blind or whatever... When I was stanning Madonna as a teen, I was also stanning Janet Jackson. Also No Doubt. i was listening to Mariah and Whitney too. Theres room for more than one pop star in peoples brains. HOWEVER... I was not stanning Donna Summer, or ABBA, or Blondie, or Cyndi Lauper for that matter. They weren't on my radar. 

Now, when Pricilla Queen of the Desert came and introduced me to ABBA I rushed out and bought ABBA GOLD immediately. I was obsessed. If memory serves me, it was around the Something to Remember era and I needed a little Dance Pop back in my life. 

Fast forward to when Trainspoting came out and Atomic from Blondie was on there. All i ever knew from blondie was Heart of Glass from lame commercials selling Disco CDs. Over and over and over and over. When I heard Atomic, it sounded fresh and new. And then I went through a Blondie phase. (While simultaneously listening to The Prodigy and etc.)

Same with Too Wong Foo and (Hey Now) Girls Just Wanna Have Fun..... and me rushing to get Cyndi's greatest Hits. i knew she sang the original, and it was a song I adored. but when that came out and i got the greatest hits I learned so much more. 

This is why M being on the Devil Wears Prada soundtrack really was a great thing, IMO. 

The only thing I can't really be objective about though is.... Once I got exposed to these artists I kinda listened to as much as I wanted to or could and that was that. i didn't watch the random tour that ABBA did that was never released on video. (Im making a comparison to Reinvention Tour)   Im saying, Once kids of today are exposed to Madonna Im not sure how deep they will go with her. Me, I can't imagine someone getting the Immaculate collection and calling it a day with her. They at least are gonna see Truth or Dare. Right? 

I would say she's more like the Beatles in that once you get hooked in to the Beatles you most definitely have to go through everything, even though they only lasted 10 years. However, I still haven't heard everything from them. 

I will say not having her video catalogue on youtube for such a long time wasn't helping. And not having a huge hit like 4 Minutes for a while hasn't been helping. But I think that will change this year. and all the boys and girls will wanna be like us tonight. And they'll start their Madonna journey, however far they go. 

In closing.... Madonna is not the Madonna of today. Theres no way around it.

Beyonce and Rihanna and Taylor :Madonna040: are. She's the Donna Summer in the 90s.(kind of) But I think the Madonna of today is so much more than the Madonna of the 90s. Just because it isn't being recognized by little kids doesn't scare me. She's the Aretha Franklin that is regarded as a living legend. She's the U2 that can sell out stadiums around the world. She's not a parody of herself. She knows the difference between wearing a cone bra for a throw back, and wearing a cone bra all the time cuz its what she's known for. Even though some may argue her catalogue has been kind of stale the past 10 years, every album is fresh and current even if a little behind the curve now. (which I also think will change this year)  We've never seen anything like her before, and she's defining the role as she goes. Im sure Beyonce doesn't look at M as an elder from the past, but as someone who is at the VERY TOP of the game and who they aspire to be. 

this is also a weird time in music as far as promotion... and I think Madonna will redefine what an artist does in these times of snaptigrams and Spotifapples. 

Sorry thats so long.   :Madonna042:

The masses are just simple shallow. Teenagers want to listen to ''young'' people predominately. Now Katy Perry is going to struggle soon if not already. It happens to all the female performers sadly. Thank goodness Madonna is a substantial artist and legend that continues to deliver the goods. I noticed that as I'm growing older my friends who are in their 30's are starting to look back on Madonna's album they bashed then and appreciate it more now. 

On 12/21/2018 at 2:02 PM, PayneMusically said:

This is a question I ask myself alot as being a 15 year old in highschool anytime I bring up Madonna people literally don't know who she is or they start to belittle and degrade her for her age. It is quite shocking as if any of these people actually listened to her music. Watched her videos or even a live performance they would instantly realize how truly iconic she is. She would be classified immediately as a "skinny legend" but they don't, they ignore her completely. Why? I have had a multitude of my friends listen to her records, plus watch live performances and videos. They where completely shocked, they felt horrible for thinking about Madonna badly. on-top of that doing so allowed me to gather statistics on what there favourite album was. Favourite live performances. Videos. Etc. And this is what I have gathered. 

Favourite Album: American Life.220px-AmericanLife2003.png.39b43d5293399b77788ab9a03fe8707c.png

Reason: Expiermental Electronic Rock production combind with deep outspoken lyrics that are relatable and relevant. This album feels very creative, Madonna took artistic freedom and expression over radio success with this album. Standard pop is considered basic to the younger generation. The younger generation prefer a more experimental-style when it comes to music as it breathes a breath of fresh air into a generation of music where almost everything on the radio sounds the same. This album feels more experimental and futuristic than any other one of Madonna's albums.

Favourite music videos:

https://youtu.be/5iIr6Bc7qjY

Reason: The artistic imagery, meaning and the song itself.

https://youtu.be/VlbaJA7aO9M

Reason: The artistic imagery, meaning and the song itself.

Favourite live performances:

https://youtu.be/odOkNyzhI_M

Reason: The artistic imagery, meaning, the song itself with a raw vocal performance and being remixed for that exact performance.

https://youtu.be/I3wt3IGieI8

Reason: her insane stage presence and The physical performance itself was truly amazing and makes it iconic.

what else do they say about her that's negative?

On 12/24/2018 at 11:44 PM, Sultrysully said:

Anybody under the age of thirty five does not understand who Madonna really is.  #facts 

Yeah I do think a lot of younger people don't "get" her, to them she was the Miley of the 80s and 90s.  But I'm 34 myself and happen to know A LOT of big Madonna fans in the 20s

I am 21 and literally in love with Madonna. I mean, have you listened to the second half of Erotica and the second half of Ray of Light albums? Have you seen her eyes in the Live To Tell video? Her voice and presence in early performances of Express Yourself? The fact that she wrote her music and managed her image? Her old interviews where she was destroying conservative stuck up interviewers and showing so much depth? And these are just some small examples of her amazing art over the years? She is 60 now, so what, she still looking gorgeous, and with so much charisma and intelligence.

People who are now in high school probably only know her latest stuff... which is arguably not as amazing as it used to be. Maybe give them some old CDs, send them some links to old performances and interviews? Maybe we should compile a Madonna Starter Pack For Young Fools with her greatest stuff?

Im 21 and my obsession started when my mother bought the Immaculate Collection for her car when I was like 10 or something. It was Vogue on repeat whenever I was in the car usually. I remember Music when it came out because Ma still kept up with M. Then there’s this huge gap and bam, 4 Minutes and the Sticky Andy sweet tour that’s still on youtube. I missed Celebration and picked up again during the Super Bowl. I bought GMAYL, Love Spent, and GGW, the songs I liked best since I had little money to spend then. Then I read a news article about Madonna at the 2015 Grammys and once I heard Living for Love, I was hooked again and hard (no pun intended). By December of 2015, I had bought all the main albums, and over the last couple I’ve bought compilations and soundtracks and downloaded a hundred too many remixes! Haha. M is a powerhouse but she’s ironic. Sometimes she makes a fool of herself to us but it’s part of her expressing herself. My generation and the next are very much interested in older music and artists, but it’s not in waves. Individuals latch on to peculiar and obscure artists and all usually long expired in the public. M isn’t so there’s no rush to listen now. When she does, many will realize all the songs she sang when m gets that hour long Grammy Tribute lol

On 12/24/2018 at 11:44 PM, Sultrysully said:

Anybody under the age of thirty five does not understand who Madonna really is.  #facts 

Also Madonna gained a lot of young tween fans during the Confessions era of 2005-2006, Hung Up and Sorry were #1 for MONTHS on TRL, my 13, now 26 , year old younger sister and her friends got into Madonna with that album

On 12/27/2018 at 5:59 AM, Yot said:

I am 21 and literally in love with Madonna. I mean, have you listened to the second half of Erotica and the second half of Ray of Light albums? Have you seen her eyes in the Live To Tell video? Her voice and presence in early performances of Express Yourself? The fact that she wrote her music and managed her image? Her old interviews where she was destroying conservative stuck up interviewers and showing so much depth? And these are just some small examples of her amazing art over the years? She is 60 now, so what, she still looking gorgeous, and with so much charisma and intelligence.

People who are now in high school probably only know her latest stuff... which is arguably not as amazing as it used to be. Maybe give them some old CDs, send them some links to old performances and interviews? Maybe we should compile a Madonna Starter Pack For Young Fools with her greatest stuff?

Definitely! Thanks to streaming services and YouTube it would make it even easier to compile something like that. The American life era should definitely be in it as it is one of the most relateable works to the younger generation. It also feels like her most modern and furturistic work on-top of that.

they dont hate her... they dont even know her. if i mentioned madonna to anyone at school they always say "who?".

I think shes irrelevant to the younger generation because most of them listen to trash and don't know real music. i really wish madge would stop trying to make her sound be "current" because it makes her look bad and old. i think madonna should do what she wants and stop trying to appeal to the younger generation. 

please dont hate me, this is just coming from a yonuger persons perspective