Why does the younger generation hate Madonna?

PayneMusically

I am really glad to know that the young generation's preferred album is American Life. That they praise the original AL video, that they like the Die another day video and the RIT live performance. I feel younger all of a sudden because this was a golden era for Madonna and my preferred era. Too bad it was boycotted at the time (AL).  The ROL, Music and AL album are fantastic to date and probably her last valuable work. I'd place Confession as a break out, a little artwork on its own before the next mediocre opus (HC, MDNA, RH). However a little plus for RH although the leaked demos probably spoiled the final album  appreciation. 

On 12/22/2018 at 7:07 PM, Mp1992 said:

Madonna was HUGE throughout the 90s as well, EVERY album she released went multi platinum, she had two huge and influential tours, she had nearly as many top 10 hits in the US in the 90s as she did in the 80s and MORE top 40 hits in the 90s and more Billboard Hot 100 songs charted than any other artist of any genre in the 90s

She was also the 4th biggest selling artist worldwide of the 90s decade and 6th biggest selling in the US

She also had her biggest film successes in the 90s (DT, ALOTO, TD, EVITA) and appeared on more magazine covers than any other celebrity in the 90s

The history rewrite of Madonna in the 90s is starting to bug me

Still, singles-wise she did not have the same success in the ‘90s as she had in the ‘80s. In the ‘80s she had just one Top 20 song, that being ‘Oh Father’. In the ‘90s, however, third/fourth/fifth... singles started to peak at the lower places in the charts, as opposed to all her ‘80s studio albums, and soundtracks. I think the backlash to her “Erotica” and “Sex” era also add to that image of being less successful. And all her ‘80s albums outsold her ‘90s albums as well. So, critically she was much better and she took more risks, I’ll give to that. But commercially, her ‘80s era was unquestionably more successful.

As an answer to the title question, I will look from a different perspective.

I completely agree with all the ageism and relevancy ideas, and Madonna is not the only icon suffering this. However, I start to think that maybe in the eyes of today’s youth, her works are not as iconic as it takes to be still remembered after all these years. Same goes for Janet Jackson, Prince, George Michael, Elton John, Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin, Kylie Minogue, David Bowie etc. I mean, come on, they listen to Cardi B, Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, all those trashy K-Pop bands, and even Nicki Minaj and Katy Perry started to flop, let alone Beyonce, Britney, Christina etc. whereas Justin Bieber seems nowhere to be found. They consume these products so quickly. 

On the other hand, MJ will always have his moonwalk, ‘Smooth Criminal’, stage presence, ‘Thriller’ video and his record for the best selling album ever, Whitney and Celine their signature movie songs, and Mariah her Christmas song. No one even knew what Michael and Whitney released before their death, and no one cares about Celine’s and Mariah’s new music albeit how good they are. The new generation probably would not know much about Queen if it wasn’t for the movie, and I seriously doubt many of them can name one song of Beatles or Elvis, even though they know their names, and in Elvis’ case, the image.

In addition to all of these, Madonna might be “too gay” for many straight boys and yet-closeted gays.

So, of course the kids know who Madonna is, but they either “hate” her because it is “cool to do so” or many of them have no idea about her career.

3 hours ago, Turuncan said:

Still, singles-wise she did not have the same success in the ‘90s as she had in the ‘80s. In the ‘80s she had just one Top 20 song, that being ‘Oh Father’. In the ‘90s, however, third/fourth/fifth... singles started to peak at the lower places in the charts, as opposed to all her ‘80s studio albums, and soundtracks. I think the backlash to her “Erotica” and “Sex” era also add to that image of being less successful. And all her ‘80s albums outsold her ‘90s albums as well. So, critically she was much better and she took more risks, I’ll give to that. But commercially, her ‘80s era was unquestionably more successful.

I don't know about that.  madonna had 17 top 10's in the 80s and 15 in the 90s, Madonna had more top 40 hits in the 90s than 80s and had more Hot 100 entries in the 90s than ANYBODY

Granted she released more Singles in the 90s

I have the Billboard book of hot 100 hits and Madonna is #3 top Single artists in the 80s and again in the 90s, she also had the same amount of "points" in the 80s and 90s, so Billboard is basically saying that aa a singles artist she had the same success rate in the 90s that she did in the 80s on their Hot 100

Also Madonna's first TWO Singles , Everybody and Burning Up, didn't even chart on the Hot 100 in the 80s

The 90s is the only decade where EVERY Single released by her charted on the Billboard Hot 100

And Ray of Light sold about the same as her debut album and Like a Prayer in the US, 5 million copy range, but sikd much more than those two albums Worldwide, so no not EVERY 80S album by her outsold her 90s albums

17 hours ago, Mp1992 said:

Also Madonna's first TWO Singles , Everybody and Burning Up, didn't even chart on the Hot 100 in the 80s

Yet again, she was an unknown name then and those releases had limited promotion if not none. Warner wasn’t even sure if they were gonna let Madonna release a full length album.

So the lower peaks of ‘Bad Girl’, ‘Human Nature’, and ‘Nothing Really Matters’ to name a few, seem worse compared to her first two singles, especially given that Madonna was extremely famous and the preceding singles from the parent albums of these ones were highly successful as well. But again, I specified the possible reasons and creativity- and attitude-wise she was at the top of her game.

17 hours ago, Mp1992 said:

And Ray of Light sold about the same as her debut album and Like a Prayer in the US, 5 million copy range, but sikd much more than those two albums Worldwide, so no not EVERY 80S album by her outsold her 90s albums

Yeah darling, one album sold better than her debut, you completely invalidated the whole argument, horraaaaaayyy!

I think that why young generation hates Madonna is simple.

Madonna WAS perfect until Confession era.

She WAS not just A pop star. She WAS a very smart person unlike average pop stars.

So Madonna WAS not just a Pop icon, She WAS role model for older fans.

We older generation fans grow up with proud role model.

We older generation fans want to be strong and smart just like Madonna.

But for young generation, They didn't see what Madonna was like in the past.

All they could see is something like this.

OF6HBU.gif

cropped6976610814505855991.jpg

Ask your own daughter, Son, nephew and niece.

Is this smart woman do? Sadly Answer is No. 

Do you want to make these kind person as your life role model? Sadly Answer is No.

So we can't blame these young generation for "why you guys does not love Madonna!"

They don't hate Madonna just because Madonna is OLD.

Young generation hate her Simply Because All they could see is very sad and pathetic  60 year old Kim K's enormous hideous ass wanna be.

Yet again, she was an unknown name then and those releases had limited promotion if not none. Warner wasn’t even sure if they were gonna let Madonna release a full length album.

So the lower peaks of ‘Bad Girl’, ‘Human Nature’, and ‘Nothing Really Matters’ to name a few, seem worse compared to her first two singles, especially given that Madonna was extremely famous and the preceding singles from the parent albums of these ones were highly successful as well. But again, I specified the possible reasons and creativity- and attitude-wise she was at the top of her game.

Imean you do have a point about certain Singles not doing that well in the 90s but Madonna released more in the 90s than 80s and Madonna's big hits in the 90s tended to stick around for a long time on the charts.  Even a #2 peaking Single like I'll Remember was a bigger hit than most of her 80s #1 Singles because of longevity

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 5:04 PM, brazilfan said:

I think that why young generation hates Madonna is simple.

Madonna WAS perfect until Confession era.

She WAS not just A pop star. She WAS a very smart person unlike average pop stars.

So Madonna WAS not just a Pop icon, She WAS role model for older fans.

We older generation fans grow up with proud role model.

We older generation fans want to be strong and smart just like Madonna.

But for young generation, They didn't see what Madonna was like in the past.

All they could see is something like this.

OF6HBU.gif

cropped6976610814505855991.jpg

Ask your own daughter, Son, nephew and niece.

Is this smart woman do? Sadly Answer is No. 

Do you want to make these kind person as your life role model? Sadly Answer is No.

So we can't blame these young generation for "why you guys does not love Madonna!"

They don't hate Madonna just because Madonna is OLD.

Young generation hate her Simply Because All they could see is very sad and pathetic  60 year old Kim K's enormous hideous ass wanna be.

Listen to the entirety of rebelheart deluxe. And the bonus tracks of the super deluxe avaliable digitally under the rebelheart ep. Watch the ghost town and living for love music videos. Watch her rebel heart tour in full. Watch her carpool karaoke then come back to me on that last statement k.

Btw the last image you sent was obviously photoshopped.

This younger generation has been indoctrinated with GARBAGE U.S. Top 40 nonsense. The only "kids" that seem to like Madonna (and older music) are what others from their generation would call "hipsters" or eccentric freaks. Fuck millenials. They're a hopeless generation anyway. 

And I don't know if it's sacrilege to say anything negative about Madonna in a Madonna forum, but in my humble opinion I think she needs to stop trying so hard to appeal to teenagers and worrying about current radio success.  It is possible to act ones age while still having a youthful exuberance. 

On 1/4/2019 at 6:28 PM, artlover said:

It ain't no excuse, cmon that record is a mess 

But it's the 3rd post-00 album I love the most 

I think personally rebel heart was very devisive. I love the end of the world vibe. It would've been even better if it didn't leak because she wouldn't have had to rush it out.

On 1/4/2019 at 9:35 PM, Mp1992 said:

That was the point.  But the leaks hurt her initial plan, one album was supposed to be "rebel" songs and the other "heart" songs.

It's a solid album that got great reviews vfrom the music critics, it's funny how fans don't love it , it's my second favorite Madonna album of the 2000s after Confessions

People seem to forget that RH’s release was completely sabotaged by the leaks. It made M second guess herself and gave her a massive dilemma! 

Honestly people. Go back to Rebel Heart in the preceding weeks before Magic drops and explore the multitude of glorious M tracks within the super deluxe and demo tracks that there is to discover. There’s effectively 3 albums worth of material. 

1 hour ago, Shep Pettibone Mix said:

People seem to forget that RH’s release was completely sabotaged by the leaks. It made M second guess herself and gave her a massive dilemma! 

Honestly people. Go back to Rebel Heart in the preceding weeks before Magic drops and explore the multitude of glorious M tracks within the super deluxe and demo tracks that there is to discover. There’s effectively 3 albums worth of material. 

EXACTLY

EXACTLY

EXACTLY

On 1/19/2019 at 11:20 PM, cedarlake said:

This younger generation has been indoctrinated with GARBAGE U.S. Top 40 nonsense. The only "kids" that seem to like Madonna (and older music) are what others from their generation would call "hipsters" or eccentric freaks. Fuck millenials. They're a hopeless generation anyway. 

And I don't know if it's sacrilege to say anything negative about Madonna in a Madonna forum, but in my humble opinion I think she needs to stop trying so hard to appeal to teenagers and worrying about current radio success.  It is possible to act ones age while still having a youthful exuberance. 

This commentary is not only ignorant but also wrong as fuck.

Millennials are those born between 1980 and 1999, which is a huge segment of Madonna's fans.

On 1/19/2019 at 5:20 PM, cedarlake said:

You do know that Millennials are adults now, right? The oldest is 37. We're onto Gen Z.

16 minutes ago, G House said:

This commentary is not only ignorant but also wrong as fuck.

Millennials are those born between 1980 and 1999, which is a huge segment of Madonna's fans.

1982-1997, and I totally agree with you. I laugh when people bitch and complain about kids today and call them Millennials when Millennials are adults.

2 hours ago, drivebitch said:

1982-1997, and I totally agree with you. I laugh when people bitch and complain about kids today and call them Millennials when Millennials are adults.

Technically the original person who named the millenial generation claimed it to be 1982-2004. People came in and changed up the dates once the next person named generation Z.