Albums today - yes or no?

Adrian

Madonna is old school having an album every 2-3 years, good excuse to go on tour. Usually we get 3 singles (videos) and that's all.

Some new artists are not even bother to make an album, but they are everywhere because every 2-3 months they have a new single, new project, collab...and they stay "relevant" all the time.

I know most of you will disagree, but I think only way Madonna can be "relevant" musicly is not to wait 2-3 years to put an album and then be in the spotlight for few weeks and then nothing for another 2-3 years... (She goes on tour but that's also not such a hype after first few shows...)

So my point is - having new music every 2-3 months with videos, and promotional tours, tv aperiances etc is better strategy... for example, if she released songs from Rebel Heart when she started to work on album (one year prior the leak) she could have 3-4 hits before release, and the leak wouldn't be that terryfying I think. Whole strategy would be different.What we got were 3 singles from 25 track album... such a waste of material... remember if it's not a single, it's easly forgotten, especialy if you're not a fan.

39 minutes ago, CYSMM said:

I agree...

But MDNA skin projects are more important ;-)

It’s just interesting to me, to be so lucrative, so gifted and talented but to forget the lyrics to your most revered songs kinda almost too often, to refuse to sing or ackowledge certain songs for long periods of time and to focus on films, skin care... idk. The raising a family thing I totally got but selling rose sprays or skin saving  dildos and making art films to me it’s like “hurry up and get it outta your system”.

It worked really well with touring, for instance though this “nah” mentality during and after Evita and ROL was torture for real, then when she toured finally and it was very well received. I became a fan after Erotica so I missed Girlie Show but I remember how her mainstream shine really took a dive and the lull until DWT felt crazy long peppered with films and one off live performances. And she hasn’t had such a break since which is remarkable.

Another release strategy would be EPs separated by months or instead of a double album, release two albums months apart same year. All those songs stuffed into one album is a strong argument against albums IMO, here comes a tangent but even my iTunes is confused with one album as Rebel Heart then another with Deluxe and yet another for Super Deluxe. It muddies the water as certain items appear on different “deluxe” editions. People who don’t give a shit probably deleted one edition without realizing only certain deluxe things appear on their respective deluxe editions.

Also, this isn’t some one hit wonder or time sensitive rap album this is fucking Madonna and whom ever decided on “Deluxe Edition” should be fired - this is a pop album not a luxury car.

Deluxe Edition is something that Ray of Light should have had recently, with that now-legendary unreleased album remastered by Babyface and William Orbit as Disc 2. The Rebel Heart Deluxes were an insult to her fans and confusing to the public, likely. She could  have had a team create subtitles for each “level” that are with the theme not some stale computer code menu title jargon nonsense. This argument also applies to “GHV2” and “Celebration” hits  packages that are cash grabs.

I wish some artists would have some kinda online-like focus groups about their mass consumption products to hear dumb little things like these arguments as I’m sure the labels and marketing teams trot out inflated Billboard and physical or digital sales differentiated to make it look like some big deal-  it’s on almost year 20 of MP3s how can they not figure out that metadata, iTunes track info etc is actually very helpful, not glossy pictures or “extra deluxe” titles, but the small details not worth noting. End rant.

2 hours ago, DickTracy said:

It’s just interesting to me, to be so lucrative, so gifted and talented but to forget the lyrics to your most revered songs kinda almost too often, to refuse to sing or ackowledge certain songs for long periods of time and to focus on films, skin care... idk. The raising a family thing I totally got but selling rose sprays or skin saving  dildos and making art films to me it’s like “hurry up and get it outta your system”.

It worked really well with touring, for instance though this “nah” mentality during and after Evita and ROL was torture for real, then when she toured finally and it was very well received. I became a fan after Erotica so I missed Girlie Show but I remember how her mainstream shine really took a dive and the lull until DWT felt crazy long peppered with films and one off live performances. And she hasn’t had such a break since which is remarkable.

Another release strategy would be EPs separated by months or instead of a double album, release two albums months apart same year. All those songs stuffed into one album is a strong argument against albums IMO, here comes a tangent but even my iTunes is confused with one album as Rebel Heart then another with Deluxe and yet another for Super Deluxe. It muddies the water as certain items appear on different “deluxe” editions. People who don’t give a shit probably deleted one edition without realizing only certain deluxe things appear on their respective deluxe editions.

Also, this isn’t some one hit wonder or time sensitive rap album this is fucking Madonna and whom ever decided on “Deluxe Edition” should be fired - this is a pop album not a luxury car.

Deluxe Edition is something that Ray of Light should have had recently, with that now-legendary unreleased album remastered by Babyface and William Orbit as Disc 2. The Rebel Heart Deluxes were an insult to her fans and confusing to the public, likely. She could  have had a team create subtitles for each “level” that are with the theme not some stale computer code menu title jargon nonsense. This argument also applies to “GHV2” and “Celebration” hits  packages that are cash grabs.

I wish some artists would have some kinda online-like focus groups about their mass consumption products to hear dumb little things like these arguments as I’m sure the labels and marketing teams trot out inflated Billboard and physical or digital sales differentiated to make it look like some big deal-  it’s on almost year 20 of MP3s how can they not figure out that metadata, iTunes track info etc is actually very helpful, not glossy pictures or “extra deluxe” titles, but the small details not worth noting. End rant.

I enjoy deluxe editions. Florence + The Machine does them well, waiting months if not a year to release a deluxe that expands the album with demos, bonus, and alternate versions (acoustics/live). Rebel Heart could have benefited from this greatly. And M is pass a "every 2-3 month release". That was a thing of the nineties and eighties when she was just looking after herself no one else and had Warner pushing her in the studio to make soundtrack songs because she could make them radio hits. She is flippin 60 and she has expressed she's not ready to settle, but she's got family and I respect her personal time. The Skin Care? Why not? Rose Mist my butthole? Why not? I think she's doing what she believes is art, and thats what matters. Artists are rediculed and hated till they die and then they're immortalized forever and day. 

That video does not add to this topic really, especially considering the interview date is close to the mainstream acceptance of digital vs physical products. Fun to watch though (except for the interviewer). Times were changing there, times have definitely changed now. She likely did an instore at a major NYC music retailer (now extinct) shortly after. 

19 hours ago, Frank said:

what an awful interview, we all lost so much by having mediocre creeps like Matt Lauer be part of the public sphere. The New York Times is also beyond finished, they have zero integrity. Zero. It's funny that right after this interview she performed with Britney and Floptina, I still wonder what was the point of that. 

5 hours ago, Ishtar said:

what an awful interview, we all lost so much by having mediocre creeps like Matt Lauer be part of the public sphere. The New York Times is also beyond finished, they have zero integrity. Zero. It's funny that right after this interview she performed with Britney and Floptina, I still wonder what was the point of that. 

New York Times beyond finished? That's hilarious. 

Screw MP3s, and screw streaming. If I am going to pay for music, then I want to have a physical product in my hands every time. Also, just having random releases with no album would only just oversaturate the market, and they are more designed for those artists with a rather limited shelf-life. Madonna is an established artist and such a release formula would damage her legacy. Proper albums (with proper producers) are the only way to go for an artist like Madonna

Madonna is famous because of great songs, what's so difficult in that ?
The video here is further proof that Music & Journalist are like Military & Intelligence !
He seems to think Industry style that you have to be a young floozie to sell to The Kids.
And your too old now he all but says ?
How old are The Rolling Stones ?
The oldest guy to make the US Top 10 is none of them.
"Her last two albums were Officially Crap...", I read everywhere.
Some might say Every Major Artists 'last two' were the same = blame Streaming.
Singles are The Future says that Lyor Cohen guy.
When albums were King, Artists had way more clout and now there at the end of several queues as Content Providers ?
That's why Madge is branching out 'n' trading on her devoted following ??

My Vote is for 12'' Singles !

On 12/26/2018 at 7:17 PM, Adrian said:

Madonna is old school having an album every 2-3 years, good excuse to go on tour. Usually we get 3 singles (videos) and that's all.

Some new artists are not even bother to make an album, but they are everywhere because every 2-3 months they have a new single, new project, collab...and they stay "relevant" all the time.

I know most of you will disagree, but I think only way Madonna can be "relevant" musicly is not to wait 2-3 years to put an album and then be in the spotlight for few weeks and then nothing for another 2-3 years... (She goes on tour but that's also not such a hype after first few shows...)

So my point is - having new music every 2-3 months with videos, and promotional tours, tv aperiances etc is better strategy... for example, if she released songs from Rebel Heart when she started to work on album (one year prior the leak) she could have 3-4 hits before release, and the leak wouldn't be that terryfying I think. Whole strategy would be different.What we got were 3 singles from 25 track album... such a waste of material... remember if it's not a single, it's easly forgotten, especialy if you're not a fan.

I agree with you.