TOP PRODUCED MADONNA TRACKS (in order)

Roy

I woke up early morning and I thought to myself: why not make a list of the top produced Madonna tracks in order. So, this is what I'm doing. XD

CRITERIA:

Lyrics - 30% (includes flow, message/moral of the song and delivery)

Sonics - 40% (includes the synths and stems appropriate for the song and the final mastering of the songs)

Impact - 20% (how it made a general impact on me, the viewer)

Runtime - 10% (if the duration of the song is acceptable for me)

TOP PRODUCED TRACKS (from any album):

10. Physical Attraction (Madonna/The First Album - 1983)

- This song, to this day, didn't sound too dated in my opinion. In fact, it sounds like how synthwave tracks nowadays are being produced (if you listen to them). I love how the the swooping synths kicks off the song before bringing in the big guns with the kick, snare, claps and wobbling bass synth. With the addition of the electric guitars separated at each channel, it's a simple yet chill bop about being open to your significant other about realizing that you are both meant to be together. Although the runtime of the song is approximately 6 minutes long, it doesn't feel like it's 6 minutes most of the time.

Rating: - 20%, S - 32%, I - 13%, R - 7% = 72%

09. Material Girl (Like a Virgin - 1984)

- TIMELESS and to this day, still doesn't sound like it's date. Although a few of her tracks from this album sounds a little dated, this withstood the test of time. I was actually having a hard time choosing this and Like a Virgin but to me, Material Girl is a solid candidate for this list. I mean, when the drums kicked in to start the song, it's obvious that people know that it's Material Girl. Pair it up with a sweet bassline, a quirky low synth and a soft chime that rings twice with Madonna's obvious Marilyn Monroe - inspired lyrics and you got your self a legendary bop. Although the Immaculate Version Q -Sound remix of this song sounds better and crisper, the original still stands tall.

Rating: - 23%, S - 34%, I - 15%, R - 7% = 79%

08. Justify My Love (The Immaculate Collection - 1990)

- That rumbling bassline, eerie string that breaks through the bass and Madonna's moaning and yearning for some loving just made me put this song on this list. It's controversial, sexy, seductive and slow but keeps the pace running as Madonna asks her love "What are you gonna do?" Justify her love, damn it! Poeple were obviously triggered by this song, with the accompanying video, but to this day, still remains as a historical mark on pop culture. And hey, Beyonce seems to like it that she recreated it for her Haunted video. Although I like it how she puts a twist on it, the original still stands tall with its black two piece lingerie, thick stockings and high heels.

Rating: - 25%, S - 35%, I - 15%, R - 8% = 83%

07. Oh Father (Like a Prayer - 1989)

- DID SOMEONE CUT ONIONS IN FRONT OF ME?! Madonna's breaking vocals are supported by Patrick Leonard's production of a dark piano, haunting orchestra arrangement, deep bass and prominent drums that keeps the rhythm on an emotional pace. Plus, it's not helping by the fact that the song tackles about Madonna's grieving for the loss of her mother when she was four years old and how she lived everyday with her abusive dad. However, she knew exactly that he's hurt as much as she was but the difference lies on how they cope the loss of a motherly figure. This song gripped me as much as it gripped you and her near - to - crying vocals at the end of the song became the conclusion that even until now, she still seeks for a motherly figure, even at the age of 60. It's also a follow up of Dear Jessie as the intro indicates the connection of the two tracks as the former tells about Madonna's childhood innocence and the latter about the sudden drops of her life at the tender age of four. My heart... </3

Rating: - 28%, S - 37%, I - 16%, R - 8% = 88%

06. Bad Girl (Erotica - 1992)

- "I'm not happy this way!" We have a lot of regrets in our lives and even after we drown it with vices, temptations and distractions, it still lingers within us and Bad Girl proves that jumping from relationship to relationship, smoking cigarettes and passing out from excessive drinking can't mend a broken heart. Madonna seems to channel a different person in the album as she starts Bad Girl with a mysterious intro with the drum loop, the windchimes that moves from the left channel to the right channel and that piano that starts high and ends low, foreshadowing the outcome of this character's downfall from happiness. The song starts with a low string synth and bass that breaks through as Madonna wonders that something's missing and she doesn't know what it is or why. She cries out how she wants her true baby back but she can't as the chorus turns to a darker tone, being a one - night stand, smoking a drinking her hard feelings away and with that outro fading, we never knew what happened to the character as she constantly do so (although the music video answers it and it's freaking TRAGIC). This shows that not even artificial highs can bring us up from the real downs.

Rating: - 28%, S - 37%, I - 17%, R - 8% = 90%

05. Skin (Ray of Light - 1998)

- I gotta tell y'all, this track is a highlight of the Ray of Light album. The song is about letting your lover know that you are in love with him/her and thus, you want a connection that lingers on for a long time. With the nature of the album being Kabbalah - centered, the song is produced in a Middle Eastern - inspired way with thumping beats, pulsating synths, haunting strings that lay low at the first half of the song, high oscillating lead synths that details the inspiration and the seduction of the lyrics and the last few minutes of the song as a breakdown was just a killer. I listened to it for the first time when I was just rediscovering Madonna's discography and to this day, I still gravitate to this. Although there are deserving contenders for this list like Drowned World/Substitute for Love, Ray of Light and Sky Fits Heaven, this takes the cake. Even though the runtime is a monster with 6 minutes, it doesn't feel stretched out for me.

Rating: - 28%, S - 38%, I - 18%, R - 8% = 92%

04. Die Another Day (American Life - 2003)

- Some Bond fans hate this but I don't care, this is a monster. This is iconic for the use of chopped orchestra strings and sinister deep bass that was held well with the hard drum loop and the screeching lead synth that leaps from the left channel to the right. To me, this is not just about Bond's experience being tortured in the camp in the movie but is a statement regarding how people wanted Madonna to be irrelevant by making fun for her figure and her stand as a "bad feminist" but you know what? She is not going anywhere and she's gonna snarl at those remarks and keep pushing the boundaries of music forever. 

Rating: - 28%, S - 39%, I - 18%, R - 8% = 93%

03. Like It or Not (Confessions on a Dance Floor - 2005)

- Madonna's deep tone rumbles at this sinister song with a guitar playing at the background and a hard beat that slowly gives way to the progression of the dark synths as she sings about whether you like her or not, she's here and she's here to stay. She tackles about how people expect too much from her and how they tried to drag her down but she's unshaken and to this day, she is still standing. No one can shake her away from her throne. The entire listening experience is different when you listen to it in the album wherein the end of Push is signaled by the dark orchestra that sounded like the opening for Sorry but transitions gracefully into the distorted guitar that opens the final track of the album. There are many songs in this album that could be contenders to this list but the last track of the album becomes the victor.

Rating: - 29%, S - 39%, I - 18%, R - 8% = 94%

02. Gang Bang (MDNA - 2012)

- Knowing just recently about how this album is basically a well - crafted divorce album, this song takes things into a darker tone as she kills her lover because of his lack of support and contribution to their relationship. This hit hard on Madonna as she was divorced by Guy Ritchie at that time and the latter tried to take full custody of their kids but Madonna ain't having that so in her mind, she killed him with a straight bullet to his head and basically became a 1950s gangster. The thumping beat with the deep rumbling sub bass becomes the base for the hard hitting track with gunshots, pulsating synths and an epic breakdown and monologue how she wants to kill him over again. In a nutshell, it's a "you're dead to me" kind of a thing but don't let Madonna make a conventional track about it because she's too grown for that. Plus, the near 6 minute song is enough to picture out a short movie in your head with her as the main character.

Rating: - 29%, S - 40%, I - 19%, R - 9% = 97%

01. Wash All Over Me (Rebel Heart - 2015)

- This track stands tall as one of the top produced Madonna tracks with medieval production made from a Baroque - like piano, heavy bass and synths and booming drums that reminds me of Game of Thrones. Madonna sings about her reflection if she should carry on with her life as an artist but at the end, she decides to stay with her loving fans and continues her journey as the goddess of Pop. The lyrics are so deep and metaphorical and suits very well with the production. I have no words to say but... damn!

Rating: - 30%, S - 40%, I - 19%, R - 10% = 99%

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

1. Iconic (ft. Mike Tyson & Chance the Rapper)

2. Keep it Together

3. Erotica

4. Bedtime Stories

5. Sky Fits Heaven

6. Sorry

7. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You

8. Falling Free

9. Ray of Light

10. What It Feels Like For a Girl

Let me know your list in the comments and let me know as well if you want a top produced Madonna album too. :D

i must say I didn't listen to any leaked song, and when Living for Love was announced, that was the only track I heard until Rebel Heart was released. when I heard the entore album, the standard version, Wash All Over Me was the track that I loved the most. the entire sonic picture that puts in your head is epic, sounds like the finale of a film, the giving up to your own will, the acceptance of a bigger entity.

i still don't know why people prefer the leaked versions over the final one, i feel the latter makes the message really be the most important thing on the song, and a beautiful, sad, heartbreaking way to close the album.

5 hours ago, mr00mister said:

i must say I didn't listen to any leaked song, and when Living for Love was announced, that was the only track I heard until Rebel Heart was released. when I heard the entore album, the standard version, Wash All Over Me was the track that I loved the most. the entire sonic picture that puts in your head is epic, sounds like the finale of a film, the giving up to your own will, the acceptance of a bigger entity.

i still don't know why people prefer the leaked versions over the final one, i feel the latter makes the message really be the most important thing on the song, and a beautiful, sad, heartbreaking way to close the album.

Yeah, the leaked dance version of the song didn't set well with the message it was trying to conceive. 

1 minute ago, Régine Filange said:

How about Easy Ride? The production is on top. Nobody's Perfect too, the lyrics aren't that hard but the song as a whole is amazing. Push, Don't Tell Me, Heartbeat too.

There are too many tracks that I wish I could have included and yes, they are well - produced and well - thought out but the 10 on my list just stands out for me. :D

Into The Groove - the energy and spell casting

Erotica - solid and warm

Frozen - can't believe no one has mentioned this yet. Layered and Sprawling

Don't Tell Me - Great message and quirky elegant production

Music - fresh as fuck, Great message too

Papa Don't Preach - also sounds beautifully prestine and clearly mixed. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 9:36 AM, KaitoXD said:

Yeah, the leaked dance version of the song didn't set well with the message it was trying to conceive. 

I get what you guys are saying, but the dance version is so infectious as a dance track and flips it from a more meaningful song into something that would have been a monster on the dance floor of any club or party, or M concert. I know everything shouldn’t or doesn’t need to scream “commercial appeal” but Avicii’s version is powerful in a completely different way. 

I’m all for beautiful lyrics complemented by subtle and understated music by the way but Avicii brought out other potentials and possibilities IMO. 

I love both versions and heard the album before I heard the demos, but for me the demos are better for the most part. I don’t know, perhaps I was feeling more of a dance edge for the overall album. 

22 hours ago, Shep Pettibone Mix said:

I get what you guys are saying, but the dance version is so infectious as a dance track and flips it from a more meaningful song into something that would have been a monster on the dance floor of any club or party, or M concert. I know everything shouldn’t or doesn’t need to scream “commercial appeal” but Avicii’s version is powerful in a completely different way. 

I’m all for beautiful lyrics complemented by subtle and understated music by the way but Avicii brought out other potentials and possibilities IMO. 

I love both versions and heard the album before I heard the demos, but for me the demos are better for the most part. I don’t know, perhaps I was feeling more of a dance edge for the overall album. 

I guess your right but personally, the sonics for the album version really parallels her message but I'll give the dance version another try. <3

I can't believe her collaboration with the grandious Massive Attack was not considered

nah, I get it... each has its own taste

I'm not sure I'll be able to do this properly and I know I may be biased as these are some of my favs, but here we go:

Drowned World / Substitute for Love

I Want You

Easy Ride

Bad Girl

Oh Father

4 hours ago, KaitoXD said:

I guess your right but personally, the sonics for the album version really parallels her message but I'll give the dance version another try. <3

For sure. I feel that too. But the dance version -Wash All Over Me- (at least in my opinion) brings out a different aspect. It makes the lyrics more hopeful? Or something like that. 

The album version is more fitting to the lyrics perhaps. The dance version plays off a catchy piano hook that makes it instantly accessible and danceable to a large room of people. Different moods. 

The dance version would have brought the house down live. You can almost see the multi- coloured confetti rain down on the audience as part of the finale and thousands of heads bopping up and down. 

I’m thrilled to have both versions. 

9 hours ago, addictedsober said:

I can't believe her collaboration with the grandious Massive Attack was not considered

nah, I get it... each has its own taste

I'm not sure I'll be able to do this properly and I know I may be biased as these are some of my favs, but here we go:

Drowned World / Substitute for Love

I Want You

Easy Ride

Bad Girl

Oh Father

Of course. I Want You. I am sorry! That was a very grand production. Reminds me of the initial stages of the development of the production of the Ray of Light album.

9 hours ago, Fighter said:

I thought you guys were talking about the “dance” version of rebel heart which is clearly superior but i agree wash all over me’s album production is the best version and perfect for the message of the song.

Yes. <3

I'll give the demo dance version another chance. It might grow on me.

On 1/6/2019 at 7:47 AM, KaitoXD said:

I woke up early morning and I thought to myself: why not make a list of the top produced Madonna tracks in order. So, this is what I'm doing. XD

CRITERIA:

Lyrics - 30% (includes flow, message/moral of the song and delivery)

Sonics - 40% (includes the synths and stems appropriate for the song and the final mastering of the songs)

Impact - 20% (how it made a general impact on me, the viewer)

Runtime - 10% (if the duration of the song is acceptable for me)

TOP PRODUCED TRACKS (from any album):

10. Physical Attraction (Madonna/The First Album - 1983)

- This song, to this day, didn't sound too dated in my opinion. In fact, it sounds like how synthwave tracks nowadays are being produced (if you listen to them). I love how the the swooping synths kicks off the song before bringing in the big guns with the kick, snare, claps and wobbling bass synth. With the addition of the electric guitars separated at each channel, it's a simple yet chill bop about being open to your significant other about realizing that you are both meant to be together. Although the runtime of the song is approximately 6 minutes long, it doesn't feel like it's 6 minutes most of the time.

Rating: - 20%, S - 32%, I - 13%, R - 7% = 72%

09. Material Girl (Like a Virgin - 1984)

- TIMELESS and to this day, still doesn't sound like it's date. Although a few of her tracks from this album sounds a little dated, this withstood the test of time. I was actually having a hard time choosing this and Like a Virgin but to me, Material Girl is a solid candidate for this list. I mean, when the drums kicked in to start the song, it's obvious that people know that it's Material Girl. Pair it up with a sweet bassline, a quirky low synth and a soft chime that rings twice with Madonna's obvious Marilyn Monroe - inspired lyrics and you got your self a legendary bop. Although the Immaculate Version Q -Sound remix of this song sounds better and crisper, the original still stands tall.

Rating: - 23%, S - 34%, I - 15%, R - 7% = 79%

08. Justify My Love (The Immaculate Collection - 1990)

- That rumbling bassline, eerie string that breaks through the bass and Madonna's moaning and yearning for some loving just made me put this song on this list. It's controversial, sexy, seductive and slow but keeps the pace running as Madonna asks her love "What are you gonna do?" Justify her love, damn it! Poeple were obviously triggered by this song, with the accompanying video, but to this day, still remains as a historical mark on pop culture. And hey, Beyonce seems to like it that she recreated it for her Haunted video. Although I like it how she puts a twist on it, the original still stands tall with its black two piece lingerie, thick stockings and high heels.

Rating: - 25%, S - 35%, I - 15%, R - 8% = 83%

07. Oh Father (Like a Prayer - 1989)

- DID SOMEONE CUT ONIONS IN FRONT OF ME?! Madonna's breaking vocals are supported by Patrick Leonard's production of a dark piano, haunting orchestra arrangement, deep bass and prominent drums that keeps the rhythm on an emotional pace. Plus, it's not helping by the fact that the song tackles about Madonna's grieving for the loss of her mother when she was four years old and how she lived everyday with her abusive dad. However, she knew exactly that he's hurt as much as she was but the difference lies on how they cope the loss of a motherly figure. This song gripped me as much as it gripped you and her near - to - crying vocals at the end of the song became the conclusion that even until now, she still seeks for a motherly figure, even at the age of 60. It's also a follow up of Dear Jessie as the intro indicates the connection of the two tracks as the former tells about Madonna's childhood innocence and the latter about the sudden drops of her life at the tender age of four. My heart... </3

Rating: - 28%, S - 37%, I - 16%, R - 8% = 88%

06. Bad Girl (Erotica - 1992)

- "I'm not happy this way!" We have a lot of regrets in our lives and even after we drown it with vices, temptations and distractions, it still lingers within us and Bad Girl proves that jumping from relationship to relationship, smoking cigarettes and passing out from excessive drinking can't mend a broken heart. Madonna seems to channel a different person in the album as she starts Bad Girl with a mysterious intro with the drum loop, the windchimes that moves from the left channel to the right channel and that piano that starts high and ends low, foreshadowing the outcome of this character's downfall from happiness. The song starts with a low string synth and bass that breaks through as Madonna wonders that something's missing and she doesn't know what it is or why. She cries out how she wants her true baby back but she can't as the chorus turns to a darker tone, being a one - night stand, smoking a drinking her hard feelings away and with that outro fading, we never knew what happened to the character as she constantly do so (although the music video answers it and it's freaking TRAGIC). This shows that not even artificial highs can bring us up from the real downs.

Rating: - 28%, S - 37%, I - 17%, R - 8% = 90%

05. Skin (Ray of Light - 1998)

- I gotta tell y'all, this track is a highlight of the Ray of Light album. The song is about letting your lover know that you are in love with him/her and thus, you want a connection that lingers on for a long time. With the nature of the album being Kabbalah - centered, the song is produced in a Middle Eastern - inspired way with thumping beats, pulsating synths, haunting strings that lay low at the first half of the song, high oscillating lead synths that details the inspiration and the seduction of the lyrics and the last few minutes of the song as a breakdown was just a killer. I listened to it for the first time when I was just rediscovering Madonna's discography and to this day, I still gravitate to this. Although there are deserving contenders for this list like Drowned World/Substitute for Love, Ray of Light and Sky Fits Heaven, this takes the cake. Even though the runtime is a monster with 6 minutes, it doesn't feel stretched out for me.

Rating: - 28%, S - 38%, I - 18%, R - 8% = 92%

04. Die Another Day (American Life - 2003)

- Some Bond fans hate this but I don't care, this is a monster. This is iconic for the use of chopped orchestra strings and sinister deep bass that was held well with the hard drum loop and the screeching lead synth that leaps from the left channel to the right. To me, this is not just about Bond's experience being tortured in the camp in the movie but is a statement regarding how people wanted Madonna to be irrelevant by making fun for her figure and her stand as a "bad feminist" but you know what? She is not going anywhere and she's gonna snarl at those remarks and keep pushing the boundaries of music forever. 

Rating: - 28%, S - 39%, I - 18%, R - 8% = 93%

03. Like It or Not (Confessions on a Dance Floor - 2005)

- Madonna's deep tone rumbles at this sinister song with a guitar playing at the background and a hard beat that slowly gives way to the progression of the dark synths as she sings about whether you like her or not, she's here and she's here to stay. She tackles about how people expect too much from her and how they tried to drag her down but she's unshaken and to this day, she is still standing. No one can shake her away from her throne. The entire listening experience is different when you listen to it in the album wherein the end of Push is signaled by the dark orchestra that sounded like the opening for Sorry but transitions gracefully into the distorted guitar that opens the final track of the album. There are many songs in this album that could be contenders to this list but the last track of the album becomes the victor.

Rating: - 29%, S - 39%, I - 18%, R - 8% = 94%

02. Gang Bang (MDNA - 2012)

- Knowing just recently about how this album is basically a well - crafted divorce album, this song takes things into a darker tone as she kills her lover because of his lack of support and contribution to their relationship. This hit hard on Madonna as she was divorced by Guy Ritchie at that time and the latter tried to take full custody of their kids but Madonna ain't having that so in her mind, she killed him with a straight bullet to his head and basically became a 1950s gangster. The thumping beat with the deep rumbling sub bass becomes the base for the hard hitting track with gunshots, pulsating synths and an epic breakdown and monologue how she wants to kill him over again. In a nutshell, it's a "you're dead to me" kind of a thing but don't let Madonna make a conventional track about it because she's too grown for that. Plus, the near 6 minute song is enough to picture out a short movie in your head with her as the main character.

Rating: - 29%, S - 40%, I - 19%, R - 9% = 97%

01. Wash All Over Me (Rebel Heart - 2015)

- This track stands tall as one of the top produced Madonna tracks with medieval production made from a Baroque - like piano, heavy bass and synths and booming drums that reminds me of Game of Thrones. Madonna sings about her reflection if she should carry on with her life as an artist but at the end, she decides to stay with her loving fans and continues her journey as the goddess of Pop. The lyrics are so deep and metaphorical and suits very well with the production. I have no words to say but... damn!

Rating: - 30%, S - 40%, I - 19%, R - 10% = 99%

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

1. Iconic (ft. Mike Tyson & Chance the Rapper)

2. Keep it Together

3. Erotica

4. Bedtime Stories

5. Sky Fits Heaven

6. Sorry

7. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You

8. Falling Free

9. Ray of Light

10. What It Feels Like For a Girl

Let me know your list in the comments and let me know as well if you want a top produced Madonna album too. 

The entire American life album.

Wow this is hard.

my top 10 would probably be

10. Nobody’s perfect

9. Where life begins

8. Thief of hearts

7. Don’t stop

6. Little star

5. I deserve it

4. Cyber raga

3. Shanti/ashtangi

2. Falling free

1. Nothing fails

this will change depending on my mood and what I’m listening to the most at the time