What happened with Madonna's lead singles?

Régine Filange

Just now, Shep Pettibone Mix said:

She should have released the Avicii version of Rebel Heart. I have visions of it being this big massive club anthem and summer hit single across Europe with masses of people dancing to it on beaches. 

i know ...she prob would have if it had not have all leaked ..his work leaked first - may he RIP 

20 minutes ago, StEtienne said:

this really needs to stop, that somg is SO BAD, the lyrics are like done by a three year old. He destroyed the entire album, all his other songs were horrendous too.

The pop charts in this day and age aren't exactly set alight with Shakespeare. 

Rebel Heart could have been massive and Avicii's sound would have helped it excell on the club scene. 

Not everything has to be deep and meaningful poetry. A great euphoric pop tune will do the trick thank you very much.

Hung Up comes to mind.

3 hours ago, StEtienne said:

that's precisely the point. nothing on rebel heart even remotely comes close to the subpar quality of modern music. it is far inferior. I just want the new album to be released so that the sheeple declare it the best ïmadonna album like they always do with her latest album and then rebel heart will be forgotten about.

Avicii's demos were far superior. Kanye destroyed the album. Period. If she released the demo of Wash All Over Me she would have smashed the charts and slayed the nightclubs. Nobody was here for that boring Ghosttown except for some deluded fan.

The demos are an interesting insight in the development of a track, and I sometimes substitute them in randomly for a different feel of the album, but they’re just demos. I love the dance WAOM and the really subdued demo aswell but her vocals don’t work with the dance version and the stripped down one is too monotonous. The Rebel Heart demo is fine but I find the final has more depth to it in my opinion. Illuminati and Iconic in their demos were way unfinished. What Kanye did was surprisingly good for the songs he got around to, wish he’d touched some of the others aswell. Rebel Heart is a great album with many beautiful scars. The only songs that screamed singles or hits were the ones chosen and that’s that. I don’t see the public caring for a 50 something yo singing about religious ecstasy by drugs or her reminiscing about taking the road less traveled by. Hold Tight is the only song I think that’d been worth throwing at radios, and she only did that in Italy.

16 hours ago, gafuller said:

The demos are an interesting insight in the development of a track, and I sometimes substitute them in randomly for a different feel of the album, but they’re just demos. I love the dance WAOM and the really subdued demo aswell but her vocals don’t work with the dance version and the stripped down one is too monotonous. The Rebel Heart demo is fine but I find the final has more depth to it in my opinion. Illuminati and Iconic in their demos were way unfinished. What Kanye did was surprisingly good for the songs he got around to, wish he’d touched some of the others aswell. Rebel Heart is a great album with many beautiful scars. The only songs that screamed singles or hits were the ones chosen and that’s that. I don’t see the public caring for a 50 something yo singing about religious ecstasy by drugs or her reminiscing about taking the road less traveled by. Hold Tight is the only song I think that’d been worth throwing at radios, and she only did that in Italy.

Yes, they are just demos but that was the direction that they should have taken. The final version was totally different... WAOM lyrics are very deep and meaningful and perfect to dance to. ,Kanye ruined that huge bop into a very monotonous ballad.  Madonna's vocals are not the most important thing btw...the instrumental, the beat, the lyrics are important too. RH has some of her most introspective and best lyrics since ages and with Avicii's magic touch the result was really impressive. It could have been a even better dance era than COADF, but instead Madonna decided to choose Living for Flop as lead....I mean the song is ok but the lyrics are so much trivial and basic. Both living for love and ghosttown screamed to be album tracks in the super deluxe edition. Rebel Heart and WAOM demos by Avicii screamed to be played in all nightclubs across the globe. Everyone was in love with those demos when they leaked...the final version were a big disappointment for me and that is why I still prefer to listen to the demos versions (althou they are incomplete). Also, the demo of Borrowed Time was the best song since Like a Prayer imo.

5 hours ago, StEtienne said:

no they weren't, it was all trash.

keep ur beautiful LIES, 'cause I'm not concerned :Madonna016:

I too think she should have released Girl Gone Wild as the first single. I get what she was trying to do with Give Me All Your Luvin', but I don't think she succeeded at all.

The thing about MDNA is that it always left me with the impression it was a rush job, especially after William Orbit said he barely ever saw and spent time with M when they were working on it. I mean, she had the Super Bowl going, W.E. had just been released and finished a few months prior, then she was doing some press for it, making the Truth or Dare perfume and working on the pulled lingerie project all while making an album with an elaborate tour opening less than three months after it dropped.

As it is, I would have gone this route:

1. Girl Gone Wild (super generic and super dated with that distinct 2012 EDM sound, but while it was not gonna be the single that gave her another Hot 100 #1, it would've fared better internationally and the video + it being a lead single would receive some attention, like GAYL did, especially due to it being the Super Bowl song)

2. I Don't Give A (feat. Nicki Minaj) (Nicki was at her height and with a proper participation on the video, especially if she released it shortly after the Super Bowl, I'm sure it would have garnered a fair amount of interest)

3. Gang Bang (if she had made the video she wanted, even without Quentin T*rantino, and released this as a single, I'm 100% sure it would have been a huge hit on the dance/club charts)

4. Falling Free (simply because she was right in that it's one of the best songs in the album and a nice way to close such an angry cycle of singles. Like others have mentioned, she could release a remix for radio stations, film the video she wanted to make with the original arrangement and perform it on tour)

As for Rebel Heart, we know it ended up being a rush job due to the leaks. It has never been confirmed, I believe, but I do think she rushed and re-worked most of the tracks so they'd be different from the leaked versions in a desperate attempt not to let it impact album sales by offering something that wasn't identical to what was circulating for free. As it is, though, I do think Living for Love was the best lead she could choose. Still, I think maybe this could've worked better:

1. Rebel Heart (promotional single to hype-up the album a bit)

2. Bitch I'm Madonna (I know Cardi B wasn't really a thing yet, but I do think she should have gotten someone else to do this feature with her. She'd already done two with Nicki, so there was no novelty there. Still, even if the song itself was deeply disappointing to me, it would be a statement that would gather some attention and it's probably the most radio-friendly song in the album)

3. Living for Love

4. Ghosttown (sorry, I love it too much not to have it as a single)

Although what I would've liked:

1. Living for Love

2. Ghosttown

3. Unapologetic Bitch

4. Rebel Heart

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 1:50 AM, Régine Filange said:

From Madonna to Music she had the perfect lead single EACH time, the ultimate bop that was keeping the interest of people. She missed it with American Life but she came back with the Confessions and Hard Candy lead singles and managed to attract the interest of the world again.

What happened to the last 2 eras? Why GMAYL' and Living for Love didn't do that? Is it because of her age? Is it because they weren't THAT good choices for lead singles? What song could have been a better first single for both eras? Were just some "fails" that she can change with the new single (as she did with Hung Up after American Life) or Madonna has officialy lost her touch?

tenor.gif?itemid=4200996

I think everything was fine until Hard Candy was released.

In my opinion, The Beat Goes On should've been a single, and a lead single. It's just perfect in every aspect. 4 Minutes was so "I wanna release a Justin/Timbaland song too", but it would still be ok for a second single. Give It 2 Me could've been the third one. Miles Away is a beautiful song, but as a single, does anyone care? Now I don't understand what Madonna sees in Candy Shop, the album version of song is kinda weak, even tho it's said she wanted it to be the first single.... I think it would be a sucess only if they remixed it (as they did on the tour).

With MDNA I think she did OK, tho I like Addicted more than Turn Up The Radio.

The problem with Rebel Heart is too many great songs (sometimes I think the album has a compilation vibe) but only 2 singles released is so depressing. Iconic (the most powerful song on the album) could've been amazing as a first single, followed by Living For Love and Ghosttown. Thank god she released Bitch I'm Madonna (2nd best song on the album IMO) could've been a first single too, but that would be too obvious and maybe pretentious to the haters). More dream singles? Holy Water or Unapologetic Bitch (to promote the tour) then Rebel Heart (with a proper video) to close the era.

On 1/21/2019 at 1:36 AM, Shep Pettibone Mix said:

She should have released the Avicii version of Rebel Heart. I have visions of it being this big massive club anthem and summer hit single across Europe with masses of people dancing to it on beaches. 

Totally agree. A massive missed opportunity. Released at the right time, and with the right mixes, and released as  a 'Madonna with Avicii' track, it could have been an Ibiza smash. She would have had a big hit on her hands, which would have further pushed the album into the spotlight. A massive missed opportunity for her.

On 1/8/2019 at 1:38 PM, luckystar said:

American Life was OK as a lead. The whole album didn't really have songs that could be hit singles.

GMAYL  was one of the better songs on MDNA imo. Besides, it was an obvious choice for a single. Sure, there were more creative and better songs like GB and I'm Addicted, but they weren't radio friendly like GMAYL.

LFL was boring imo. Too safe, nothing epic and interesting about it.

I NEVER UNDERSTOOD the hate for Give Me All Your Luvin and Bitch I'm Madonna. I'm an old fan that didn't become old, that's why I love these songs.

I just think that some Madonna fans need to open their minds and definitely get over the idea of her making another Like A PrayerRay Of Light or Confessions album. That will not happen! Not every lead single must be like Frozen let's say. I think this hate has something to do with her age, but just because she's aging, doesn't mean she has to only make 'mature' stuff so old fans that got old don't fell ashamed to listen. I'm 34 and I'm not ashamed to listen to those songs. B-day Song on the other hand is way too happy - rather silly - for me.

In my opinion, Hollywood was the best track on American Life, even though it's kinda irritating (the VMA remix is better). By the way I hated that album so much that for some time I used to listen only to the first two tracks. After a while, I learned to appreciate it, but I still think it's a boring album musically (and commercially) speaking, even thought it has great lyrics.

Opinions always vary, and never define anything. The worst album for some can be the best to others. The key to happiness madonnally speaking is never expecting anything from the queen and be open to everything she has to offer.