Trying to get into Madonna more...

Original Diva

52 minutes ago, Bat-Fan said:

Watch Blond Ambition Tour

In the '80's she was a singles artist.
For the next decade she slipped into album mode ?
I read somewhere Prince told her that it would be better for her not to release their duet so that anyone buying it wouldn't be listening to a bunch of singles.
ie Leave some meat !
The Press seemed to more or less LOve her up until American Life and U know the rest ?

10 hours ago, professormouse said:

In the '80's she was a singles artist.
For the next decade she slipped into album mode ?
I read somewhere Prince told her that it would be better for her not to release their duet so that anyone buying it wouldn't be listening to a bunch of singles.
ie Leave some meat !
The Press seemed to more or less LOve her up until American Life and U know the rest ?

It is too bad as American Life is an amazing album. 

Start from he beginning and follow the evolution of her craft and as you move along go back to the songs that did not grab you

watch the tours, no one in the history of show business can match her, and think about how revolutionary they were at he time, even the like a virgin tour if you compare to her female contemporary at the time, though I. Have to say she was inspired by Diana Ross and Bette midler, she went further

Definitely watch Truth or Dare. Even if someone doesn't like Madonna, it is still one of the best rock doco's made. 

I would also look up older interviews, the slightly longer ones with interviewers like Kurt Loder and the 1992 Jonathon Ross interview and the TV-AM 1990 interview. This will give you a much clearer picture about what she was about.

I think in terms of pre-Bedtime Stories Like a Prayer is awesome, but if you are not much into that, try the 7" remix versions of those tracks, especially the title track and Express Yourself. I would also recommend her ballads from that time as well. She wrote some of the best ballads in pop music.

What I find is Madonna has such a rich back catalogue that you can be in a different mood each day and find something from her career to satisfy. Probably as you grow and change you will find yourself interested in different parts of her career, as she grew and changed. 

Ray of Light is also awesome, but try to listen to it as a whole album and really listen to it. The thing about Madonna's thematic albums such as Like a Prayer, Ray of Light and Confessions is they are albums and not just a collection of songs, same with Erotica. That album is the most raw and honest take on a woman I have ever heard. 

I would also look at The Confessions Tour, not only a sold out tour but a big seller on DVD when it was released. The songs from the album sound really fresh live. 

On 1/10/2019 at 10:19 PM, Original Diva said:

So I'm like a casual fan for Madonna.  

I love her music videos and most of her music (that I've listened to)  but she has lots of albums and I don't know where to go.  

I've listened to rebel heart,  mdna, hard candy and bedtime stories in full.  I tried American Life but I just couldn't get into it. I also tried erotica, but aside from the title track I just found it kinda uninteresting. 

rebel heart was pretty good ,  mdna was meh, hard candy was good, bedtime stories was really good. 

Some of my Fav Madge songs are: Addicted (rebel heart, not I'm addicted),  like a prayer,  like a virgin,  living for love,  ring my bell,  she's not me,  sorry,  hung up,  express yourself, vogue,  4 minutes,  borderline, sex, holy water. Erotica,  candy shop,  material girl,  animal (unreleased),  devil pray,  give it to me,  music,  unapologetic bitch,  American life,  ray of light,  survival,  La isla Bonita, papa don't preach,  holiday,  ghost town, secret. 

What else should I be listening to? 

Give me songs,  albums, unreleased. 

I’m getting more heavily into her myself at the moment and I’ve found what I’m enjoying is just naturally letting it all happen. 

Tonight for instance I decided to listen to the first album; Madonna on Spotify and also ended up listening to the Like A Virgin album with the few extra extended mixes at the end because those first albums are incredible and so good to listen to. The “genius” function on Spotify is great because you can read the story of how each track came about as you listen. 

My Madonna collection is currently in a box in my mother’s house in the attic at the moment so I’ve been living on Spotify and YouTube. 

While in the car I use the Bluetooth function and have been listening to You Can Dance aswell as The Immaculate Collection. Also I’ve made myself 2 Rebel Heart playlists Perfect Rebel and Rebel Rest and have been jamming to those. 

I also purchased a fan made double album of the Rebel Heart demos in the highest quality (I did this for convenience and love it by the way) and I keep returning to my favourite tracks on it. 

I also picked up the double CD of Rebel Heart Live brand new for a few quid online. And I also bought the Hard Candy boxset sealed just to own it.?

This week I’m going to be focusing on Hard Candy and a few tracks that I love from MDMA. I’ve now watched Sticky & Sweet tour twice in the past 10 days. It’s available on YouTube in superb quality. Also watche (AGAIN) the amazing Blond Ambition Tour. 

And finally for now I’ll be making an ultimate playlist for the car of my top 50 tracks. 

And thats it for now. There’s no method to my madness, just feeling my way as I go and enjoying it.??

On 1/24/2019 at 8:29 AM, Shep Pettibone Mix said:

I’m getting more heavily into her myself at the moment and I’ve found what I’m enjoying is just naturally letting it all happen. 

Tonight for instance I decided to listen to the first album; Madonna on Spotify and also ended up listening to the Like A Virgin album with the few extra extended mixes at the end because those first albums are incredible and so good to listen to. The “genius” function on Spotify is great because you can read the story of how each track came about as you listen. 

My Madonna collection is currently in a box in my mother’s house in the attic at the moment so I’ve been living on Spotify and YouTube. 

While in the car I use the Bluetooth function and have been listening to You Can Dance aswell as The Immaculate Collection. Also I’ve made myself 2 Rebel Heart playlists Perfect Rebel and Rebel Rest and have been jamming to those. 

I also purchased a fan made double album of the Rebel Heart demos in the highest quality (I did this for convenience and love it by the way) and I keep returning to my favourite tracks on it. 

I also picked up the double CD of Rebel Heart Live brand new for a few quid online. And I also bought the Hard Candy boxset sealed just to own it.?

This week I’m going to be focusing on Hard Candy and a few tracks that I love from MDMA. I’ve now watched Sticky & Sweet tour twice in the past 10 days. It’s available on YouTube in superb quality. Also watche (AGAIN) the amazing Blond Ambition Tour. 

And finally for now I’ll be making an ultimate playlist for the car of my top 50 tracks. 

And thats it for now. There’s no method to my madness, just feeling my way as I go and enjoying it.??

Since I made this thread I've listened to a little more. 

Some new tracks I've discovered that I like are: Justify My Love, Deeper And Deeper, Rain, who's that girl, nothing really matters, frozen, trust no bitch, bye bye baby and thief of hearts.

I've tried listening to her greatest hits albums as well,  even though I know most of them. 

I also watched the confessions tour. What's another tour i should watch?? I'm thinking of watching the girlie show, but I don't know if there's a recording of that show. Do you know if there's one around? 

What else should I listen to?

On 1/26/2019 at 12:54 AM, Original Diva said:

Since I made this thread I've listened to a little more. 

Some new tracks I've discovered that I like are: Justify My Love, Deeper And Deeper, Rain, who's that girl, nothing really matters, frozen, trust no bitch, bye bye baby and thief of hearts.

I've tried listening to her greatest hits albums as well,  even though I know most of them. 

I also watched the confessions tour. What's another tour i should watch?? I'm thinking of watching the girlie show, but I don't know if there's a recording of that show. Do you know if there's one around? 

What else should I listen to?

There's quite a few concerts available on YouTube. I would recommend the Blond Ambition tour, and the Sticky & Sweet tours both of which are available in HD quality on there. Type in Madonna concert and have a browse. Watch a few songs from a show and see if your enjoying it. 

I would imagine The Girlie Show live from Sydney is on there also. I've not watched that tour in a long time. Might give it a watch. 

Okay so when I became a proper fan (7 years ago) I was only 14, I always loved Madonna from the confessions era but I only got into her in 2012

i realised I wasn’t as open minded with music at that time so it took a while for certain songs and albums to generate with me

AL at first listen will put most people off BUT wow that album is just something else. I still get really excited to listen to it in full BECAUSE of how criminally underrated it was back in the 00s

most of madonna’s Albums arent appreciated for an entire decade and BAM the fans love it and even the non fans (media, GP, critics). 

Confessions IMO is the most overrated album of hers because she finally gave fans what they wanted (a dance oriented album) don’t get me wrong it’s an amazing album (all of them are) but I’d rather choose AL simply because of nothing fails alone. 

Start with the first album, then listen to MUSIC, give confessions a chance and listen to RH

After that venture out into any direction. Her music will grow on you. Also, don’t be one of those fans that hates the HC album FOR NO REASON AT ALL. Now that’s a good fucking pop album