Trying to get into Madonna more...

Original Diva

So I'm like a casual fan for Madonna.  

I love her music videos and most of her music (that I've listened to)  but she has lots of albums and I don't know where to go.  

I've listened to rebel heart,  mdna, hard candy and bedtime stories in full.  I tried American Life but I just couldn't get into it. I also tried erotica, but aside from the title track I just found it kinda uninteresting. 

rebel heart was pretty good ,  mdna was meh, hard candy was good, bedtime stories was really good. 

Some of my Fav Madge songs are: Addicted (rebel heart, not I'm addicted),  like a prayer,  like a virgin,  living for love,  ring my bell,  she's not me,  sorry,  hung up,  express yourself, vogue,  4 minutes,  borderline, sex, holy water. Erotica,  candy shop,  material girl,  animal (unreleased),  devil pray,  give it to me,  music,  unapologetic bitch,  American life,  ray of light,  survival,  La isla Bonita, papa don't preach,  holiday,  ghost town, secret. 

What else should I be listening to? 

Give me songs,  albums, unreleased. 

Casual Fan ?
If I said the track 'Dance 2night' not being A Single is an Utter Mystery = Do I qualify too ??
So far the only reply I got was that He 'Sung' on 4 Minutes....................OK !

If you haven't downloaded any of the Obscure/Un-buyable Edits or Instrumentals on here, I'd say start Right NOW.
The Instrumental of Waiting or the Really Short promo edit of Erotica etc etc are all worth all the effort.

hmmmmm....  Interesting that youve listened to Animal and not the Ray of Light album. 

you neeed to listen to 3 of her best albums if you havent. 

MUSIC

Confessions on a Dancefloor

and Ray of Light

and if you havent watched Truth or Dare.... do that now. And then Watch the Confessions Tour.....Then Im Going to Tell You a Secret.

then smack yourself and listen to American Life again cuz its amazing. 

Then watch the Girlie Show....

Then slap yourself again and listen to Erotica again on a rainy night in. 

Then watch Vogue MTV Awards

Then Hung Up European MTV Awards

Then watch the Drowned World Tour

followed immediately by the MDNA tour

if you havent watched the Superbowl, you should watch that after Vogue MTV awards, its important that you stay in order  :bothered:

Ill give you your next list when u finish this one. 

6 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

hmmmmm....  Interesting that youve listened to Animal and not the Ray of Light album. 

you neeed to listen to 3 of her best albums if you havent. 

MUSIC

Confessions on a Dancefloor

and Ray of Light

and if you havent watched Truth or Dare.... do that now. And then Watch the Confessions Tour.....Then Im Going to Tell You a Secret.

then smack yourself and listen to American Life again cuz its amazing. 

Then watch the Girlie Show....

Then slap yourself again and listen to Erotica again on a rainy night in. 

Then watch Vogue MTV Awards

Then Hung Up European MTV Awards

Then watch the Drowned World Tour

followed immediately by the MDNA tour

if you havent watched the Superbowl, you should watch that after Vogue MTV awards, its important that you stay in order  :bothered:

Ill give you your next list when u finish this one. 

Oh yeah.  Ive listened to Confessions and I really wanted to love it,  but I only really liked Sorry and Hung Up and the rest seemed meh. I've also watched the vogue MTV performance. 

42 minutes ago, kesiak said:

If you really wanna get into Madonna I would start with watching her tours - that's where it really clicks for a lot of people :).

I was gonna actually say the OPPOSITE! Maybe I’m different, but I think hearing and getting into songs on an album, and then watching it live is a whole other ballgame. On the other hand, there are many songs I didn’t really pay attention to album wise, but then fell completely for it once I heard it live and performed. It’s a toss up. 

I say start with the tours and work your way up. Who’s That Girl tour. Then watch the Who’s That Girl film! Watch Blond Ambition Tour, then Dick Tracy THEN Truth or Dare lol.

yayy this is fun!!!

18 minutes ago, Andymad said:

I was gonna actually say the OPPOSITE! Maybe I’m different, but I think hearing and getting into songs on an album, and then watching it live is a whole other ballgame. On the other hand, there are many songs I didn’t really pay attention to album wise, but then fell completely for it once I heard it live and performed. It’s a toss up. 

I say start with the tours and work your way up. Who’s That Girl tour. Then watch the Who’s That Girl film! Watch Blond Ambition Tour, then Dick Tracy THEN Truth or Dare lol.

yayy this is fun!!!

I know what you mean but from my experience with friends who were only casual Madonna listeners (i.e. never listened to a full album of hers, only knew the stuff that was on radio/MTV) I've seen that only after watching her shows they really "got" what Madonna was about, why she was who she was and found respect for her as an artist. :)

I've always loved Madonna because her work is so vast, so rich and diverse. You can never get enough of it! For starters, I'd suggest to play The Immaculate Collection first and discover how the first (and the best) decade in her career developed. Then listen to the album versions, recorded all the way from 1983 to 1989, of the songs included in the compilation and get startled by the way they originally sounded (instruments mostly). I say this because it reminds me of my childhood in the early 2000s when I used to compare the different versions of her classics and how timeless they had become by then. If you get the chance BUY the record on CD, do it and admire the beautiful shots made by talented Herb Ritts.

Next, watch Truth or Dare or In Bed with Madonna as it was called out of the US. Be amazed by the wonderfully filmed footage from the Blond Ambition Tour! There's no better concert captured like that in her whole career, not even the equally great but overrated Confessions Tour. 1990 was the peak in Madonna's career and you will realise this because everything was perfectly executed. From her image to the music itself, photoshoots, magazine covers, interviews, etc.

Then I'd delve into her Erotica years: watch the Justify My Love video and her marvelous response to all the censorship she had to face. There's a short interview on Nightline, I'm sure it's on Youtube and make your own conclusions about the topics she mentions and how hypocritical the conservative society still is. Having listened to the title track from Erotica, listen to key tracks from the album like Deeper and Deeper (but not the video because it's kind of boring), Fever (Edit One), and the gorgeous ballad Rain. Watch the video for Bad Girl which is probably a summary of her 2 erotic movies made at the time.

If you feel like listening to something quieter, romantic or just sad and thoughtful, play the ballads compilation Something to Remember. It's basically a collection of songs recorded between 1984 and 1995, used mainly as a vehicle for her to sweetener her image at the time as she was preparing for Evita. Songs like You'll See and This Used to Be My Playground are not Céline Dion's or Whitney's standards but God, they sure are 90s treasures. In this same period she started to flirt with electronica and trip-hop. Hence the I Want You collaboration with Massive Attack. 

Ray of Light is a must for everybody who enjoys music. It's Madonna's more mature record to date, more spiritual and insightful than any other she's recorded. She had just given birth to her first child which changed her character in every thinkable sense. Watch the Drowned World Tour and observe how the ROL songs were performed live. Maybe this concert was purposely toned down because you can see she does not want to shock the audience just for the sake of it; in my opinion, from this concert onwards she shocks people with ideas that go further than the sexual innuendos from the early 90s. She became more politically aware since then. This is the time when Madonna started to play guitar on stage too so it's not strange to see a rocky section in every world tour that followed.

That's it for now. Enjoy the Madonna experience and see why she's the best. And thank God she's still alive.

Hearing her albums in order is the best experience, you get to see her grow as an artist and how every album is more profound than the last one. I'd watch the tours while listening to the albums or after listening to all of them. If you're not interested in that I'd tell you to jump straight into Confessions on a Dance Floor and the Confessions Tour.

Because you like a lot of the more recent stuff (post 2005), I'd say listen to Confessions On A Dancefloor.  Then try the Like a Prayer album cuz you'll feel closer to God :lol:.

My experience in getting into older music that I've just been causal about is to just find an album you can get into & soak it in for a few weeks/couple months/however long you need,  then find a track that grabs you from elsewhere in the discography--maybe its the next chronological album maybe its just another one of the more celebrated albums--but then delve into that album.  Her debut album is a fucking classic if you ask me but I didn't get into it until i was a fan for like 15 years. But take your time & enjoy the journey.

I've been getting into Fleetwood Mac & Queen myself lately after being a VERY casual listener for years & I'm turning 42 this month (and I've been a Madonna fan since I was 12 so OMFG I've been Madonna fan for 30 years this year!!!!).  There's ALWAYS music to get into no matter what age you are if you truly love music.

As for Madonna though, Erotica you should def give another shot at some point.  And from the songs you say you like, I'd say you'd might be inclined toward Bedtime Stories.

ALSO, when you listen to a Madonna album, WATCH THE VIDEOS from that album. That may help you "get it" more, but I'm a visual person & I'm sure plenty of fans may disagree.

Happy Listening!

45 minutes ago, BringUrLUV said:

Because you like a lot of the more recent stuff (post 2005), I'd say listen to Confessions On A Dancefloor.  Then try the Like a Prayer album cuz you'll feel closer to God :lol:.

My experience in getting into older music that I've just been causal about is to just find an album you can get into & soak it in for a few weeks/couple months/however long you need,  then find a track that grabs you from elsewhere in the discography--maybe its the next chronological album maybe its just another one of the more celebrated albums--but then delve into that album.  Her debut album is a fucking classic if you ask me but I didn't get into it until i was a fan for like 15 years. But take your time & enjoy the journey.

I've been getting into Fleetwood Mac & Queen myself lately after being a VERY casual listener for years & I'm turning 42 this month (and I've been a Madonna fan since I was 12 so OMFG I've been Madonna fan for 30 years this year!!!!).  There's ALWAYS music to get into no matter what age you are if you truly love music.

As for Madonna though, Erotica you should def give another shot at some point.  And from the songs you say you like, I'd say you'd might be inclined toward Bedtime Stories.

ALSO, when you listen to a Madonna album, WATCH THE VIDEOS from that album. That may help you "get it" more, but I'm a visual person & I'm sure plenty of fans may disagree.

Happy Listening!

Yeah I'm not even half you age haha so I didnt grow up with Madonna really. I mean of course I always knew hung up,  vogue,  like a virgin,  like a prayer,  express yourself, papa don't preach and all that, buttt I wanna dig deeper and hear more. I love Madonna and last year or the year before I started listening more,  bit mainly listened to recent stuff and just other singles and everything so I want to listen to more.

If you want to get into the Madonna groove, i'd recommend these :):heart:

1. Essentials:

Hits: The Immaculate Collection (1980s), GHV2 (1990s),  Celebration (2000s), Something To Remember (ballads)

Films: Truth Or Dare (classic rockumentary), Desperately Seeking Susan (peak of teen Madonnamania), Evita (role of a lifetime)

Tours: Blond Ambition (iconic), Confessions (acclaimed), Rebel Heart (most recent)

Misc: Her official videography

2. The Next Best Thing

Discography: 13 studio albums + 3 soundtracks, for starters

Good Movies: A League Of Their Own, Dick Tracy, I'm Gonna Tell You A Secret

Tours: At this point, there's 7 more you can watch. Personal favorites? The Girlie Show, Drowned World and Sticky & Sweet

Misc: the Sex Book + the iconic VMA perfomances (1984, 1989, 1990 & 2003)

3. Deeper And Deeper

Misc: Unreleased songs + Remixes + Interviews + Books (I would recommend Madonna: Album by Album by Caroline Sullivan)

3 hours ago, Original Diva said:

Oh yeah.  Ive listened to Confessions and I really wanted to love it,  but I only really liked Sorry and Hung Up and the rest seemed meh. I've also watched the vogue MTV performance. 

Just a tip: Don’t listen to an album just once or in the same atmosphere. 

A lot of M’s material either catches fire immediately or takes some patience or tarrying. 

I always expose my friends to Celebration, try and expose as many different eras of her music as possible, see what sticks and doesn’t. 

I recommend to my friends Rebel Heart, Confessions, and Ray of Light to dip their toes. Unless they’re 80s ethusiast, I don’t like to let stereotypical 80s M to turn them off until they realize how versatile and chameleon she is.  Then I suggest the Immaculate Collection, to cover the early years. From there I suggest Madonna, Like a Virgin, and True Blue. These are shorter and very lean albums. Then Like a Prayer, Erotica,  Music, and American Life. After that, if they don’t have enough ethusiasm to seek out the rest, then there’s no hope haha.

4 hours ago, gafuller said:

Just a tip: Don’t listen to an album just once or in the same atmosphere. 

A lot of M’s material either catches fire immediately or takes some patience or tarrying. 

I always expose my friends to Celebration, try and expose as many different eras of her music as possible, see what sticks and doesn’t. 

I recommend to my friends Rebel Heart, Confessions, and Ray of Light to dip their toes. Unless they’re 80s ethusiast, I don’t like to let stereotypical 80s M to turn them off until they realize how versatile and chameleon she is.  Then I suggest the Immaculate Collection, to cover the early years. From there I suggest Madonna, Like a Virgin, and True Blue. These are shorter and very lean albums. Then Like a Prayer, Erotica,  Music, and American Life. After that, if they don’t have enough ethusiasm to seek out the rest, then there’s no hope haha.

Aside from singles, I'm not as fussed on her 80s stuff