Madonna Song Inspiration

RUADJAI

I thought it might be interesting to post songs you believe were the inspiration for Madonna's songs. Either chords or melody or general themes or ideas that led to a songs creation. @DickTracymade a status update saying how Devil Pray

Sounds very similar to House of the Rising Sun by The Animals

Post links to make it easy. And stay on topic, No GagaXMadonna feud here. (I do think M has been inspired by Gaga a few times.) Ill start with a few....

Madonna I'm Addicted (The One that got Away)         Specifically at the 0:53 mark

First Choice Love and Happiness      At the 1:26 mark

the next one I have is more of a direct sample

Erotica Kenlou B-Boy Mix

Rufus Thomas    Sophisticated Sissy 

Im pretty sure whoever wrote this was influenced by Paparazzi by Lady Gaga

I know this sounds like a stretch.... BUT hear me out. After the whole Born this Way fiasco it was almost ridiculous to hear Madonna singing the line "Im your biggest fan". The word Superstar also makes an appearance in the chorus. Theres no other connection, but seeing as Madonna is known for changing lines and did not change this one, makes me think it is deliberate. (and yes she knows the song Paparazzi, She had seen Gaga live at this point)

34 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

I thought it might be interesting to post songs you believe were the inspiration for Madonna's songs. Either chords or melody or general themes or ideas that led to a songs creation. @DickTracymade a status update saying how Devil Pray

Sounds slightly similar to House of the Rising Sun by The Animals

I fixed that for you :bubblebitch:

Madonna      Push      "Keep on pushing like nobody" at 0:52 mark  and     "Every race I win" 1:02 mark 

Goldfrapp   Slide In         0:23 Goldfrapp Vocal Delays       Slide In  1:09

The Police  Every Breath You Take (The whole song)

It was no secret Madonna was listening to Goldfrapp's Supernature in the months leading up to Confessions on a Dancefloor release. She was pictured holding their record on the street walking into the gym or studio. However when listening to Confessions it wasn't immediately obvious how that record inspired her. Madonnas record was more fluid and disco influenced where Supernature is very Glam Rock, Future Dance. They did both take inspiration from the 70's and 80's though and both featured a clean electronic sound. 

One thing I think Madonna played off of is Goldfrapp's Slide In. Goldfrapp sings the words "slide in" in a melody that slides downward, making the words move like they describe. Madonna expanded on this idea to make Push. In Push Madonna uses Goldfrapp-esque vocal delays BEFORE words to create a sort of musical resistance. When she sings "Keep on pushing like nobody" at 0:52 mark it sounds like you are pushing through the song. It feels heavy and thick. 

The chorus (if you can call it that) is an obvious nod to Every Breath I Take by The Police. 

5 minutes ago, Lucifer's Angel said:

I fixed that for you :bubblebitch:

Perhaps to you. To me it sounds like she took the instrumental of House of the Rising Sun and sang over top of it, then they turned that vocal into its own new song. Her vocal clearly follows the melody of House of the Rising Sun.  "I've been swimming in the ocean.." Theres no doubt. 

50 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

Perhaps to you. To me it sounds like she took the instrumental of House of the Rising Sun and sang over top of it, then they turned that vocal into its own new song. Her vocal clearly follows the melody of House of the Rising Sun.  "I've been swimming in the ocean.." Theres no doubt. 

House of the Rising Sun is a traditional folk song.  Devil Pray has clearly folk elements but it is mainly a techno pop song. At first listening it sounds totally different and the similarities are only in some parts of the song. The instrumental in Devil Pray is much more complex and it does not follow the same melody throughout the all song. For instance around 1:30 it becomes more techno and when she sings

Ooo, save my soul, ooo, save my soul
Ooo, save my soul
Devil's here to fool ya

It sounds totally different from the House of the Rising Sun. Moreover, the parts of the instrumental with the similarities sound more like an upgraded remix of the House of the Rising Sun. That is why I would suggest the adjective "slightly"  and save "very" for more similar songs like Born This Way and Express Yourself ( or Halo by Beyonce and Already Gone by Kelly Clarkson)

39 minutes ago, Lucifer's Angel said:

House of the Rising Sun is a traditional folk song.  Devil Pray has clearly folk elements but it is mainly a techno pop song. At first listening it sounds totally different and the similarities are only in some parts of the song. The instrumental in Devil Pray is much more complex and it does not follow the same melody throughout the all song. For instance around 1:30 it becomes more techno and when she sings

Ooo, save my soul, ooo, save my soul
Ooo, save my soul
Devil's here to fool ya

It sounds totally different from the House of the Rising Sun. Moreover, the parts of the instrumental with the similarities sound more like an upgraded remix of the House of the Rising Sun. That is why I would suggest the adjective "slightly"  and save "very" for more similar songs like Born This Way and Express Yourself ( or Halo by Beyonce and Already Gone by Kelly Clarkson)

i agree.... Thats why I used the word "inspiration", not "plagiarism" 

Coincidence I think.
The Spinners track got a Hot Tracks 'remix' and it's that that got played...around here any who.
Bill Withers' Lovely Day remix didn't happen until '88 and only because Radio 1 DJ Gary Davies played it off a DMC album and kept telling 'listeners'.....,"You can't buy it yet !"
Hers is obviously influenced by The Spinners track and by the late '80's it was living again, it just never quite got the Sister Sledge re-issue treatment.
It's part of songwriting 101 to take A Song and change enough legally so you get at least half the money.
Amii Stewart's Light My Fire / Doors cover is a medley with '137 Disco Heaven'.....which is just those words sung by the backing guys.
The Producer got half the royalties.
Brian Elliot might agree. :laughing: