Hanky Panky Official music video

Alberto Giovanni

• 1 year later...
24 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

It's an official promotional video like Material Girl or Express Youself or any other video. Since when a promotional video from Warner is not official?

oh I see, then Angel has an official video too as that was Warner distributed.  Warner also distributed a montage for Rescue Me, Causing a Commotion and The Look of Love so i guess those are official music videos too.  i see how it works. thanks for explaining.

17 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

oh I see, then Angel has an official video too as that was Warner distributed.  Warner also distributed a montage for Rescue Me, Causing a Commotion and The Look of Love so i guess those are official music videos too.  i see how it works. thanks for explaining.

That's correct. Crazy for You, Gambler and Into the Groove are montage videos, are those "more" official because they were shown in the US? Is Dear Jesse "official"?

30 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Exactly. All of them are official videos. 

20 minutes ago, litemakr said:

That's correct. Crazy for You, Gambler and Into the Groove are montage videos, are those "more" official because they were shown in the US? Is Dear Jesse "official"?

6 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Exactly. All of them are official videos. 

thanks for the clarification. make sure you do so in this thread which consider none of these videos having an official music video. some even discount Dress You Up not having an official music video. so happy to see there are some fans to make such clarification when most wouldnt agree with you.

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

thanks for the clarification. make sure you do so in this thread which consider none of these videos having an official music video. some even discount Dress You Up not having an official music video. so happy to see there are some fans to make such clarification when most wouldnt agree with you.

It's not a cuestion to be agree or not. They are official videos from Warner to promote singles, albums or tours. I don't have any of them, I don't like them, but they are official. Even the "Girl Gone Wild" lyric video is official. 

PS: In that post they are not talking about "OFFICIAL" videos. They are talking about "If It Had a Music Video" filmed by Madonna (Rescue Me, Spotlight, etc, etc, etc)

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

It's not a cuestion to be agree or not. They are official videos from Warner to promote singles, albums or tours. I don't have any of them, I don't like them, but they are official. Even the "Girl Gone Wild" lyric video is official. 

PS: In that post they are not talking about "OFFICIAL" videos. They are talking about "If It Had a Music Video" filmed by Madonna (Rescue Me, Spotlight, etc, etc, etc)

at best, most will agree that the Hanky Panky video you claim that is "official" in the original post is a promotional video rather an "official" music video. some will argue if Into the Groove, Crazy For You and Dress You Up aren't official music videos either, but they are commissioned as official music videos than Rescue Me, Hanky Panky and Angel promotional videos. 

i suspect youll argue differently, but we will have to just agree to disagree. :)

I think fans have different opinons because there are the official videos WB commissioned and the ones Madonna herself approved of (so to speak) I suspect Dress You Up was approved by Madonna but Rescue Me wasn't (as an example) 

Also some feel if it didn't come from Sire/WB US but was made or commissioned by WEA, then it doesn't count. This would include Dear Jessie.

Personally I only include the songs Madonna actually filmed a music video for. For example, according to Ed Steinberg, who directed the Everbody video, the video was done as an in house promo only. It was never scheduled for release, and never saw the light of day in any official capacity until around 1987. Yet I am sure fans consider it official. 

There are also videos that did not have an official release at the time the single was released, but were seen later during Madonna specials and such. I can not remember if Hanky Panky was actually played anywhere at the time the single was released. First time I saw it was on Rage, but that was in the late 90's when Rage would do a Madonna special annually and play all of her music videos. Which would include all the remix videos as well.

4 minutes ago, me1981 said:

I think fans have different opinons because there are the official videos WB commissioned and the ones Madonna herself approved of (so to speak) I suspect Dress You Up was approved by Madonna but Rescue Me wasn't (as an example) 

Also some feel if it didn't come from Sire/WB US but was made or commissioned by WEA, then it doesn't count. This would include Dear Jessie.

Personally I only include the songs Madonna actually filmed a music video for. For example, according to Ed Steinberg, who directed the Everbody video, the video was done as an in house promo only. It was never scheduled for release, and never saw the light of day in any official capacity until around 1987. Yet I am sure fans consider it official. 

There are also videos that did not have an official release at the time the single was released, but were seen later during Madonna specials and such. I can not remember if Hanky Panky was actually played anywhere at the time the single was released. First time I saw it was on Rage, but that was in the late 90's when Rage would do a Madonna special annually and play all of her music videos. Which would include all the remix videos as well.

Yes Hanky Panky was played at the time of release on Rage and Countdown Revolution in Australia. It was not played in the Rage top 50 because of the lyrical content. Whether people like it or not its an officially released video commissioned by the label.

Just now, Blue Jean said:

Yes Hanky Panky was played at the time of release on Rage and Countdown Revolution in Australia. It was not played in the Rage top 50 because of the lyrical content.

Thanks for clearing that up. I think that song came and went so quickly that my memory is hazy

Just now, Blue Jean said:

Also Dear Jessie is obviously official as its on her YouTube and released on iTunes.

It is definitely official, I was just saying I think the attitude of some fans is to discount anything that wasn't made or released through her US label. 

For me personally I only include those she filmed. I would be interested in the videos she herself approved of where she was not actively involved. 

I mean Geffen records didn't need her approval to release a promo for Gambler, so did she approve of it or not? Not a big deal, just more curious about it.

I just checked the youtube channel. Interesting that Causing a Commotion isn't there. I wonder if Madonna or WB don't consider it official or if it was just overlooked. 

35 minutes ago, me1981 said:

Hanky Panky was widely played pretty much everywhere except the US. I personally played it on a video jukebox in London (which is just what it sounds like) and saw it several times on MTV UK at that time. I was told it played on Canadian television as well. I think this whole debate is really silly. The whole point of a music video is to promote a record. If it was commissioned by the record company, it was official, just like any promo remix or edit. No one argues about the terminology when talking about mixes and this is the same thing, a promotional tool. 

Different approaches are used in different territories. That applies to the singles released, the mixes used and the videos. The True Blue video was deemed unsuitable for the US market and wasn't shown there until many years after the fact. Madonna herself hosted a "make my video" contest and a fanmade video was the official video on US television for years.