Do you use Spotify/YouTube to listen to M?

Régine Filange

Vote  

74 members voted

1. 1. Do you use Spotify/YouTube?

• Yes
    • No
    • Rarely

I use Spotify, although I find M's catalogue frustrating as they haven't made any pre-Confessions era singles available and also the versions on some of the albums are not the originals, they are the 12" versions, which I think should be separate from the original albums. I'm sure if they included earlier material her numbers would be higher.

The way I see it personally, with some artists there is that one song everyone knows and they will listen to. I can only name three Cyndi songs and just as many Cher ones. With Madonna there are many more that young people know and I think that's why they sort of share people's interest. I will listen to Believe 20 times maybe but at the same time I will be listening to 20 different M songs. Known songs. Spotify is not that damn hard to use, people :tongue: After a very short amount of time you can easily tell which non single tracks from an album have drawn the most attention and I think it's a very good index of which the next single should be. Because they're those effortless songs that everyone keeps coming back to (which is the point of Spotify anyway, easy on the ear, atmospheric songs on playlists etc.)

3 minutes ago, Blue Prince said:

The way I see it personally, with some artists there is that one song everyone knows and they will listen to. I can only name three Cyndi songs and just as many Cher ones. With Madonna there are many more that young people know and I think that's why they sort of share people's interest. I will listen to Believe 20 times maybe but at the same time I will be listening to 20 different M songs. Known songs. Spotify is not that damn hard to use, people :tongue: After a very short amount of time you can easily tell which non single tracks from an album have drawn the most attention and I think it's a very good index of which the next single should be. Because they're those effortless songs that everyone keeps coming back to (which is the point of Spotify anyway, easy on the ear, atmospheric songs on playlists etc.)

Most Madonna fans snub Spotify, idk why. You can buy CDs and stream on Spotify too, lol. With Spotify you can give her extra sales without speding money tho. Regardless of impacting the charts, on Spotify you can also see the popularity of each artist nowadays. I'm not shocked by her low numbers, considering not many fans support her there.

16 minutes ago, Bat-Fan said:

Sky fits heaven on ROL on spotify is broken.

What do you mean? It works fine to me.

No, I never use streaming. I listen to her music using either vinyl or CD.... or mp3s I ripped from my own CDs. I just can never get into the whole buying/renting digital files thing, it just doesn't seem worth it.... for my money I need the physical product in my hands for it all to be worthwhile.

I own all the CD's and most of them are in the attic of the house I grew up in, in another country, so for me Spotify is essential as is Youtube. 

I work long hours also; 24, 30, 33 hour shifts a lot of the time so when I'm driving to and from, and between places is when a large percentage of my listening happens in the car on Spotify. 

I'll always buy the physical format for my favourite artists and CD's and vinyl would be my preferred choice, but I've got to be practical too as I'm so busy a lot.

1 hour ago, Régine Filange said:

Most Madonna fans snub Spotify, idk why. You can buy CDs and stream on Spotify too, lol. With Spotify you can give her extra sales without speding money tho. Regardless of impacting the charts, on Spotify you can also see the popularity of each artist nowadays. I'm not shocked by her low numbers, considering not many fans support her there.

What do you mean? It works fine to me.

It is only a small glitch in the beginning of the song, or very early in it. Try to listen, the audio skips for a split of a sec in the first instrumental part

Even in "high quality", there is a noticeable difference from Spotify tracks to CD/WAV or mp3.

Spotify is like listening to radio. The tracks just dont sound as clear and clean.

It's terrible that people will think that's what music is meant to sound like.

I tried Spotify and Apple Music and went back to actually paying for and "owning" the tracks.

But it's not a coincidence that a boxed set of all her rare mixes and b-sides was planned pre-2005 and that is exactly where that content cuts off on digital retailers. 

28 minutes ago, PaperFaces said:

I tried Spotify and Apple Music and went back to actually paying for and "owning" the tracks.

Tidal has lossless streaming, but what if I want to listen to music with no connection, so I can't be disturbed? I will never choose streaming over playing local files.

Maybe if Madonna wasnt so mismanaged her views and streams would be better.

And yes I do but not that much these days. I will stream the new album a lot though cos it will be the main way I listen to it, although I really hope the physical version will be really pretty and worth owning.

15 minutes ago, The Same Parts said:

Tidal has lossless streaming, but what if I want to listen to music with no connection, so I can't be disturbed? I will never choose streaming over playing local files.

They dont have a download option like Spotify?

I tried Apple Music but Apple is a mess and hard to browse so I dropped it.

9 minutes ago, Fighter said:

I don't know. I only used it years ago as a free trial. But again, why would I want to manually download songs from a streaming site, when I can just have them preloaded on my phone? 

I don’t mind Spotify. It’s how I find new artists to power my writings. I do try and listen to M on Spotify to help with streaming. And then I do use YouTube a lot. Just hop song to song. If I leave the auto on, I’ll probably hear Nothing Really Matters, Open Your Heart, Ghosttown, Living For Love, Drowned World, and Deeper and Deeper from RHT, lol. Usually a variation of that order. Couldn’t tell you why??‍♂️

31 minutes ago, Fighter said:

Maybe if Madonna wasnt so mismanaged her views and streams would be better.

And yes I do but not that much these days. I will stream the new album a lot though cos it will be the main way I listen to it, although I really hope the physical version will be really pretty and worth owning.

I actually really like Apple Music - I've tried Spotify and Tidal and didn't like either of them. 

As for the topic, not really - vinyl or CD-rips for me when it comes to Madonna's music. 

39 minutes ago, The Same Parts said:

I don't know. I only used it years ago as a free trial. But again, why would I want to manually download songs from a streaming site, when I can just have them preloaded on my phone? 

Personally Im getting used to that, its easier. I don't have time to be ripping tracks from CDs or anything like that, and I won't buy lossless digital tracks. If I care about something that much to have it lossless on mobile I will rip it myself and all that, but I rarely do that. 

I only use YouTube to watch Madonna videos. I have all my Madonna collection on my laptop and stored on my MicroSD Card on my mobile so I can listen to any Madonna song wherever I am. 

I will stream Madonna's new album on Spotify or Amazon when it comes out so it gets more sales added and I'll buy it on CD of course

Yes, I always put the "This Is Madonna" playlist in the background to increase the streams, lol. That's the current state of the music industry and if we want to support M's new album, we need to buy the physical release AND stream the new album on YouTube / Spotify to give it a higher placement on the charts.

I use Spotify everyday.
I think the biggest problem with Madonna is the bad organization of her catalogue. In Youtube her videos used to were blocked in a lot of contries (I don't remember exactly when but maybe a year o two ago they unblocked them) so to wacht them I used to go to unnofficial channels. Also some of them are duplicated because of Madonna's and Warner's channels (La Isla Bonita for example, there's two official videos, one with 97M and other with 126M views). Also, the bad quality of some videos is another problem. So that is the principal mess with her streaming numbers. They should really do a cleaning and organizate better her material. 
Her spotify page is also a mess, wrong tags on the albums and wrong versions of some songs, and the fact that they don't have any maxi singles from 1984 to 2005 uploaded.