Causing a Commotion: a masterpiece of pop

12inch

Its the perfect song to open the WTG movie - i wish we had this movie on blu-ray - the amazon rip is a very old HD master and i hate the way they cropped the opening cartoon - its not like that on the laserdisc(Which i still have after all these years) i like both the single and album version and of course its great performance on both wtg & ba tour. I wasn't a fan of the movie house mix though but i love the cover for the single - she was kept off the number 1 spot on the billboard charts by none other than the King MJ with his song Bad - not a bad runner up i have to say :)) a lot of fans would probably rate this a B as a song and i dont think M thinks much of it seeing as its never been on any of her greatest hits but hey she might do it on her next tour ? She did true blue and wtg on the last one so who knows ....

2 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

...and i dont think M thinks much of it seeing as its never been on any of her greatest hits

It was included on the Holiday Collection EP, so not completely ignored, lol. But it should be paid more attention... it should have replaced Miles Away, Cherish or Revolver on the Celebration compilation.

6 hours ago, PWCCA said:

It was included on the Holiday Collection EP, so not completely ignored, lol. But it should be paid more attention... it should have replaced Miles Away, Cherish or Revolver on the Celebration compilation.

Yes I thought someone might say that ? it’s a cd single though and not an album ...

I absolutely love this song but it might not be everyone's cup of tea so it's impressive that it reached number 2.

Madonna has 6 songs I believe that peaked at number 2. The one that bothers me the most is Express Yourself. That song was such a moment for me.

It bothers me now that it didn't hit number 1 but back then not as much. I probally wasn't even aware of where it ended up on the charts. I wonder what blocked it? 

3 hours ago, LikeAMelody said:

I absolutely love this song but it might not be everyone's cup of tea so it's impressive that it reached number 2.

Madonna has 6 songs I believe that peaked at number 2. The one that bothers me the most is Express Yourself. That song was such a moment for me.

It bothers me now that it didn't hit number 1 but back then not as much. I probally wasn't even aware of where it ended up on the charts. I wonder what blocked it? 

in the first week of being #2:

#1 'If you don’t know me by now' by Simply Red 

second week of being #2:

#1 'Toy soldiers' by Martika  ( I didn't even know this song)

4 hours ago, madonnaempress said:

in the first week of being #2:

#1 'If you don’t know me by now' by Simply Red 

second week of being #2:

#1 'Toy soldiers' by Martika  ( I didn't even know this song)

I remember the title Toy Soldiers and the name Martika but I forget how it goes. As soon as I look it up it come ba k to me because I remember the title vividly. 

22 hours ago, LikeAMelody said:

I remember the title Toy Soldiers and the name Martika but I forget how it goes. As soon as I look it up it come ba k to me because I remember the title vividly. 

Ugh. I hated the song. Total reductive ripoff of madonna’s song structure and sound.

5 hours ago, 12inch said:

Ugh. I hated the song. Total reductive ripoff of madonna’s song structure and sound.

I listened to it and I remember it, especially the chorus. I'm too tired to get into the meanings of songs right now so I didn't really pay attention to the lyrics. I can imagine myself really liking this song back then...I think I did. I'm not sure how I feel about it now. 

I think Express Yourself as well as the rest of the Like A Prayer album sounds so different then what was popular in the late 80's. It really was profound and stood out. Even Causing A Commotion, a cutesy kinda song had a powerful edge to it. Madonna just brought a certain kind of maturity in her songs that would often blow me away. 

5 hours ago, LikeAMelody said:

I think Express Yourself as well as the rest of the Like A Prayer album sounds so different then what was popular in the late 80's. It really was profound and stood out. Even Causing A Commotion, a cutesy kinda song had a powerful edge to it. Madonna just brought a certain kind of maturity in her songs that would often blow me away. 

Completely agree! Couldn’t have said it better.

• 2 weeks later...