Ranking the Tracks: Like a Prayer

anel_

Honestly, one of Madonna’s best albums. This album is fantastic! Madonna’s work of art. No other words needed. Rank the tracks from least to most favourite. Also, can we just admit that this albums holds Madonna’s best ballads!!!? Oh father is amazing! This is gonna be fun x

1. Like a Prayer

2. Express Yourself

3. Love Song

4. Til Death Do us Part

5. Promise to Try

6. Cherish

7. Dear Jessie

8. Oh Father

9. Keep it Together

10. Pray for Spanish Eyes

11. Act of Contrition

1. Express Yourself (Original Video Version) - Like A Prayer (7'' Version) [Best]

3. Vogue (In my opinion, Vogue belongs to "Like A Prayer" era. It was created to be the "Keep It Together" B-Side)

4. Oh Father

5. Spanish Eyes

6. Cherish (7'' Version)

7. Dear Jessie

8. Promise to try

9. Keep It Together (Single Remix)

10. Supernatural (Again, It belongs to "Like A Prayer" era).

11. Love Song

12. Till Death Do Us Part

13. Act of Contrition [Worst]

Diane Keaton once said that Madonna's entire career was one long therapy session and she should just get over herself....and her Dad !
Promise To Try & Oh Father are well sung, 'nice' but should have never been put on an album.
I can live without but Act Of Contrition is even more pointless.
My fave version of Express Yourself is the Local Mix which is totally 'Jellybean' b4 it was remixed.
The rest are hits or could have been's ?

1 hour ago, professormouse said:

Diane Keaton once said that Madonna's entire career was one long therapy session and she should just get over herself....and her Dad !
Promise To Try & Oh Father are well sung, 'nice' but should have never been put on an album.
My fave version of Express Yourself is the Local Mix which is totally 'Jellybean' b4 it was remixed.

Finally you tell me what Diane Keaton said!!!!

2 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

1. Express Yourself (Original Video Version) - Like A Prayer (7'' Version) [Best]

3. Vogue (In my opinion, Vogue belongs to "Like A Prayer" era. It was created to be the "Keep It Together" B-Side)

4. Oh Father

5. Spanish Eyes

6. Cherish (7'' Version)

7. Dear Jessie

8. Promise to try

9. Keep It Together (Single Remix)

10. Supernatural (Again, It belongs to "Like A Prayer" era).

11. Love Song

12. Till Death Do Us Part

13. Act of Contrition [Worst]

You can’t use other versions other than the album version for this poll. So please re-evaluate your order if necessary.

1 hour ago, professormouse said:

So are you saying your not a fan of LAP?...

3 hours ago, 12inch said:

You can’t use other versions other than the album version for this poll. So please re-evaluate your order if necessary.

Why not? An album has its singles and remixes (radio edits, videoclips versions, etc) and must be allowed because they change the general vision of an Album. All together conform an "Era". Some fans never play album versions and play singles because they love these versions. 

I'm sorry, back in my day, singles and videoclips were fundamental to sell the album, so I can't see albums, singles, and video-clips as separate identities.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a fan thanks to a video-clip and a remix (Express Yourself). Without video-clips and singles maybe I wouldn't be a Madonna fan.

11. Love song (least)

10. Act of contrition

9. Cherish

8. Dear Jessie

7. Keep it together

6. Till death do us part

5. Spanish eyes

4. Oh father

3. Promise to try

2. Express yourself

1. Like a prayer

But it's extremely hard. I feel so sorry for putting Spanish eyes so low!

The only song I always skip is the Prince duet.

43 minutes ago, ITG said:

Are you serious!?!

Explain this to me.

The main reason is that I don't like the overall sound which makes me fall asleep.. I think that Cherish, Dear Jessy and Keep It Together are really boring compared to her previous hits. There are only 3 songs in the all album that I really like: LAP, EY and Till Death Do Us Part, although EY sounds a bit dated. Spanish Eye is good too, but her vocals are not as powerful as during the Evita- ROL times and the beat is not as cool as later ballads like Frozen, Rain or Take a Bow. Overall there are not many tracks that I can dance to and so many ballads make the album extremely boring for my taste.  On top of that Love Song is such a wasted opportunity that it hurts and Act of Contrition is not even a proper song, but some LAP leftover.   

16 minutes ago, Lucifer's Angel said:

The main reason is that I don't like the overall sound which makes me fall asleep.. I think that Cherish, Dear Jessy and Keep It Together are really boring compared to her previous hits. There are only 3 songs in the all album that I really like: LAP, EY and Till Death Do Us Part, although EY sounds a bit dated. Spanish Eye is good too, but her vocals are not as powerful as during the Evita- ROL times and the beat is not as cool as later ballads like Frozen, Rain or Take a Bow. Overall there are not many tracks that I can dance to and so many ballads make the album extremely boring for my taste.  On top of that Love Song is such a wasted opportunity that it hurts and Act of Contrition is not even a proper song, but some LAP leftover.   

Yes, it's not an album for dancing, but it's meant to be.

The concept that links all the tracks is fantastic and the lyrics are Madonna's best.

You can't say Promise to try is boring! No song has described a loss in such a deep and original way.

But I love Madonna's ballads and Something to remember is a reference album to me.

Maybe Act of Contrition should have been a ghost track at the end, but at the time cds were not a thing. You can't have a ghost track on a vinyl.

11.Act of contriction (least)

10. Love song

9. Dear jessie 

8. Cheris 

7. Oh father

6. Promise to try 

5. this dead do us apart

4. Spanish eyes 

3. Keep it together 

2. Express yourself ( video version)

1. Like a prayer

maybe a bit of topic but i really think she should released spanisch eyes as a single with a killer video 

42 minutes ago, Enrico said:

Yes, it's not an album for dancing, but it's meant to be.

The concept that links all the tracks is fantastic and the lyrics are Madonna's best.

You can't say Promise to try is boring! No song has described a loss in such a deep and original way.

But I love Madonna's ballads and Something to remember is a reference album to me.

Maybe Act of Contrition should have been a ghost track at the end, but at the time cds were not a thing. You can't have a ghost track on a vinyl.

Yes, the lyrics are very good and I agree that both Spanish Eye and Promise to Try are great ballads. Together with  LAP; EY and Tilll Death Do Us Part  this give 5 great songs. However, what about the remaining 6 tracks?

Oh Father got good lyrics too but the melody is so dated and boring.

Love Song is so forgettable and it's such a shame cuz it could have been one of the most iconic duet in the history of music. 

Dear Jessy, Cherish and Keep it Together are not ballads, so what is the excuse there? Those song are supposed to be upbeat but they pale compared to the upbeat songs of her other albums. 

So overall, there are 5 great songs and 6 mediocre ones, which makes this one of Madonna's weakest album. 

On top of that, I think Ray of Light got Madonna's  best lyrics :thinker:

On 2/17/2019 at 10:32 AM, Lucifer's Angel said:

It's Madonna's most critically acclaimed, so yeah your opinion does not matter. :Madonna032:

From best to worst:

1. Like a Prayer
  2. Oh Father
  3. Till Death Do Us Part
  4. Spanish Eyes
  5. Keep It Together
  6. Express Yourself
  7. Dear Jessie
  8. Cherish
  9. Love Song
  10. Promise to Try
  11. Act of Contrition

2 minutes ago, Lucifer's Angel said:

Oh Father got good lyrics too but the melody is so dated and boring.

:Madonna034: A MELODY dated and boring? :Madonna049:

Girl, stop trying to justify your lack of taste with these stupid arguments that you've already been trying to spread on FOTP. Especially considering the fact that you believe that Bitch, I'm Madonna is one of her best songs. That's fucking ridiculous.

19 minutes ago, Bitch I’m Madonna said:

It's Madonna's most critically acclaimed, so yeah your opinions does not matter. :Madonna032:

From best to worst:

1. Like a Prayer
  2. Oh Father
  3. Till Death Do Us Part
  4. Spanish Eyes
  5. Keep It Together
  6. Express Yourself
  7. Dear Jessie
  8. Cherish
  9. Love Song
  10. Promise to Try
  11. Act of Contrition

Is that the real reason fans praise this album? It's like saying that the best song is the one with more Grammys.

Personally, I don't need critics to tell me which is the best album cuz I got my own music taste you know. On top of that, if this album is that good why it is not her best selling one? 

17 minutes ago, Bitch I’m Madonna said:

:Madonna034: A MELODY dated and boring? :Madonna049:

Girl, stop trying to justify your lack of taste with these stupid arguments that you've already been trying to spread on FOTP. Especially considering the fact that you believe that Bitch, I'm Madonna is one of her best songs. That's fucking ridiculous.

I meant the sound/beat. Only good thing about that song is the lyrics, that is what I meant. 

On top of that, if I wanna jam to an upbeat song then don't play Cherish but Bitch I'm Madonna. How can you lose control dancing to Cherish? It sounds so boring compared to the dope beat of BIM. 

10 minutes ago, Lucifer's Angel said:

Is that the real reason fans praise this album? It's like saying that the best song is the one with more Grammys.

Personally, I don't need critics to tell me which is the best album cuz I got my own music taste you know. On top of that, if this album is that good why it is not her best selling one? 

I meant the sound/beat. Only good thing about that song is the lyrics, that is what I meant. 

On top of that, if I wanna jam to an upbeat song then don't play Cherish but Bitch I'm Madonna. How can you lose control dancing to Cherish? It sounds so boring compared to the dope beat of BIM. 

Because not being her best-selling automatically means it's her worst?

The sound/beat is the production, not the melody. If you wanna be a smart-ass about your wrong opinions, at least use the correct terminology.

Wait...did you literally just compare Cherish to Bitch, I'm Madonna? :Madonna049:

@FighterI know this guy. He's a troll who is incredibly hard to deal with. He got banned from one forum and then came to FOTPforums and annoyed everyone there before he almost got banned. Now he's trying to spread his negativity here as well.

You ll have to kill me for me to even start making a mental chart on what comes first and/or last from this out of this world album! 

Comparing Promise To Try to Oh Father... Til Death Do Us Part to Keep It Together... Love Song to Act Of Contrition... Like A Prayer to Express Yourself... Cherish to Dear Jessie...Spanish Eyes is possibly one of her best songs ever!

Its like asking me to name what we need the most to survive: sun, water, air or earth? 

This is why this album is a masterpiece: each song is part of the whole. One song doesn’t exist without the other. Dont get me wrong each and one song is very strong on its own ( as proved by the singles) but to truly work and bring them to another level is when you listen to them as part of the album as a whole. Lets not forget this is an album inspired by the powers that be. Only Madonna could! lol

38 minutes ago, Régine Filange said:

From best to worst (even tho there's not a bad song for me :Madonna032:)

1. Till Death Do Us Part
  2. Like a Prayer
  3. Oh Father
  4. Pray for Spanish Eyes
  5. Keep It Together
  6. Love Song
  7. Express Yourself
  8. Cherish
  9. Dear Jessie
  10. Promise to Try
  11. Act of Contrition

THE TASTE! :Madonna010: