Questions about Hold Tight credits

Fabiolous

“Hold Tight” (Ciccone/Pentz/McDonald/Gad/Emenike/Meckseper)
Webo Girl Publishing, Inc. (ASCAP)/Songs Music Publishing, LLC o/b/o I Like Turtles Music, Songs of SMP (ASCAP)/EMI April Music, Inc. and Mo Zella Mo Music (ASCAP) /Atlas Music Publishing o/b/o itself and Gadfly Songs (ASCAP)/ Digital Teddy Ltd. (Copyright Control) (PRS)/Jack Russell Music Limited (PRS)
Producers: Madonna
Engineers: Demacio “Demo” Castellon, Nick Rowe
Mixers: Demacio “Demo” Castellon, Mike Dean
Additional recording: Angie Teo
Additional PT editing: Ron Taylor
Additional recording in The Ritz (Moscow), Grand Marina Hotel (Barcelona), Patriot Studios (Denver, CO/Venice, CA)
Backing vocals: MNEK
MNEK appears courtesy of Virgin EMI Records, a division of Universal Music Operations.

Like, really? This really looks like a typo to me. Wasn't Hold Tight produced by Ryan Tedder? Do we know anything about this?

It's definitely Ryan Tedder's song. He probably didn't want to be associated with it, because it sounds very similar to another track he produced for Gwen Stefani a year before.

He already had some controversy regarding a similar situation where he produced a song for Kelly Clarkson (Already Gone) and gave Beyoncé (Halo) an almost identical song, resulting in Kelly's song being labeled a "rip-off".

Another possibility is, that so many people were involved in the making of that track (there is a ton of different incarnations that we've heard) that it's hard to say who was ACTUALLY responsible for the majority of the song's production.

2 hours ago, rebelheart93 said:

I see her playing with the stems ???

Literally what Gaga did on Venus and the result is...well. :Madonna009:

49 minutes ago, L-U-V said:

She doesn't know how to produce a song by herself. She is no musician nor dj.

This. It would sound far more amateurish if it was her. She doesn't even know how to photoshop her instagram pictures or how to take good selfies. I don't expect her to be able to produce a song like Hold Tight alone. :Madonna049:

44 minutes ago, L-U-V said:

She doesn't know how to produce a song by herself. She is no musician nor dj.

Wow. You’re downplaying Madonna’s artistry and talent. Madonna has always had a large production part in all of her albums, and has received a production credit on all of her albums since Like a Virgin.

Almost all of her producers have gone on record to say that she has the capabilities to produce her own material solo. 

Dont undermine her talents. 

4 minutes ago, Bitch I’m Madonna said:

Literally what Gaga did on Venus and the result is...well. :Madonna009:

This. It would sound far more amateurish if it was her. She doesn't even know how to photoshop her instagram pictures or how to take good selfies. I don't expect her to be able to produce a song like Hold Tight alone. :Madonna049:

Wow! What fans you guys are!

37 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Wow! What fans you guys are!

She got credits because She wrote most of the lyrics and the melody 

but she doesn’t know how to “create” an entire song like Prince

it doesn’t mean that she’s not an artist or that we are downplaying her. She produce her songs at 50% (or less; see MDNA). That’s all.

@deathproofi hope you're trolling cause what you're saying doesn't make any sense. Madonna writes lyrics and melodies, she is an exceptional songwriter, but she doesn't know how to write music on her own. She has always been known for having absolute control in the recording studio and having input on what she wanted in her songs, but she has always needed someone to actually do the things she wants. That why it's always "Madonna and somebody else". It doesn't take anything away from her talent as a songwriter, she just isn't a trained musician. Up until 2000 she could only play the drums, now she's learned to play the guitar a bit. 

I suppose she is very opinionated in the studio (as when preparing a tour), and after so many years she knows exactly what she wants and how she wants to sound, and how a song should sound. But she needs someone who does the technical work. Probably it's very difficult, as in the editing room when preparing the video for a tour. When the producer used to be just one or two (Pat Leonard, William Orbit, Shep Pettibone, Stuart Price, Mirwais) things went very well. Those RH demos give the impression she/they/the producers/the record company didn't know which direction they would go, which audience they were thinking about, etc.

So she definitely takes part in the songwriting and producing process, and maybe she had the last decision in the many different versions of Hold Tight, but let's not forget that the credits sometimes also reflect legal agreements.

1 hour ago, L-U-V said:

@deathproofi hope you're trolling cause what you're saying doesn't make any sense. Madonna writes lyrics and melodies, she is an exceptional songwriter, but she doesn't know how to write music on her own. She has always been known for having absolute control in the recording studio and having input on what she wanted in her songs, but she has always needed someone to actually do the things she wants. That why it's always "Madonna and somebody else". It doesn't take anything away from her talent as a songwriter, she just isn't a trained musician. Up until 2000 she could only play the drums, now she's learned to play the guitar a bit. 

You don't have to be a trained musician to be a producer. She actually started out as a drummer and wrote her very first songs on the guitar - before she was signed. So that. Also, everyone from Nile Rodgers, Patrick Leonard to William Orbit and Stuart Price commented on her involvement in production, Orbit even said it was more her producing him on "Ray of Light" than the other way around.

Here's Andrae Crouch who conducted choir on "Like A Prayer" speaking about Madonna's musicality (excerpt from "Like An Icon":

"Crouch was struck by her dedication to the music. His sister Sandra was playing tambourine on the track, and for the recording they tried out different rhythms. After a while Madonna stopped and said, 'Sandra, will you go back to bat thirty-two and do that', and she tapped out the rhythm. Crouch was shocked: 'Madonna knew what bar it was and we'd gone through it just one time. I wouldn't expect her to remember that in a thousand years - I can't do that! She knows her music'."

17 minutes ago, kesiak said:

You don't have to be a trained musician to be a producer. She actually started out as a drummer and wrote her very first songs on the guitar - before she was signed. So that. Also, everyone from Nile Rodgers, Patrick Leonard to William Orbit and Stuart Price commented on her involvement in production, Orbit even said it was more her producing him on "Ray of Light" than the other way around.

Here's Andrae Crouch who conducted choir on "Like A Prayer" speaking about Madonna's musicality (excerpt from "Like An Icon":

"Crouch was struck by her dedication to the music. His sister Sandra was playing tambourine on the track, and for the recording they tried out different rhythms. After a while Madonna stopped and said, 'Sandra, will you go back to bat thirty-two and do that', and she tapped out the rhythm. Crouch was shocked: 'Madonna knew what bar it was and we'd gone through it just one time. I wouldn't expect her to remember that in a thousand years - I can't do that! She knows her music'."

That's pretty much the same thing I said

31 minutes ago, kesiak said:

Leonard, Price, and Henry have all said in interviews that she’s capable of producing on her own. She has the talent to do it. She’s been having a hand in production on her albums since the beginning. Why all of a sudden, 30 years later mind you, is she not capable of being called a “producer?”

And I’m the troll????? Laugh Out LOUD!!!

3 hours ago, rebelheart93 said:

She got credits because She wrote most of the lyrics and the melody 

but she doesn’t know how to “create” an entire song like Prince

it doesn’t mean that she’s not an artist or that we are downplaying her. She produce her songs at 50% (or less; see MDNA). That’s all.

MNEK wrote most of the lyrics based on his demo. The others added the "only love only love" part, maybe a little more. 

There's really no need to really discuss this. She is a producer in a certain sense, but there is the side of technical know how, and also wanting a sound of someone else. If she produced her own records all alone, it would get stale pretty quickly. I'd say she's a fairly proficient musician, but I don't think she would be able to handle most of the aspects of production on her own. It's not a thing you learn once and you're done - just like programming, you get hardware and software updates regularly, and who should really bother with it all when you have other creative people to help you out? So yeah, no one is saying this as something bad, I understand if she's not always in the know. 

12 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Leonard, Price, and Henry have all said in interviews that she’s capable of producing on her own. She has the talent to do it. She’s been having a hand in production on her albums since the beginning. Why all of a sudden, 30 years later mind you, is she not capable of being called a “producer?”

And I’m the troll????? Laugh Out LOUD!!!

Can you find an interview when they specifically say that she can produce on her own? Lol cause she definitely can't. They have said that she is extremely talented and has a very good ear for music and massive input on the production, not that she can do it on her own, cause she can't. If she could, she would do it.