Most personal Madonna videos (Growth).

Jj Enrique

So I think it would be super fun to see what everyone’s top personal Madonna video is, and why?! She is such a superb visual artist, so it would be fun to see what you say! 

My favorite video of all time that I believe showed her growth as an artist, would have to be “Bedtime Story”. I say this  because It was so ahead of its time, and referenced some of my favorite surrealist like Leonara Carrington, Remedios Varo, Frida, and incorporated their art within her own dreamscape (which is what we do with art we love). It was like looking into Madonna’s head as she slept... to find the hidden messages in her subconscious mind- visions of her fears, her passions, and her yearnings. Clearly we can tell she wanted a baby, yet she was fearing her own morality through this video. We see her trying to make piece within herself, to find peace within her flaws, to look at the moon for the first time and feel born again under it (like Remedios Varo’s painting, “Born Again” pictured below). It was a video that showed us how Madonna was changing on the inside, a preview of her becoming a mother, a preview of becoming more enlightened, a preview into her Ray of Light era.

ADE9B979-8F19-40DA-B291-B64083095830.jpeg

I think a lot of her videos are really "cultural".

Open your heart was dealing with men objectifying women and was very provocative at the time, it looks rather innocent now, but the message is very clear.

American Life is a great representation of our contemporary society, where everything is a show, even war. To me it's one of her best. Pity it was never officially released. 

Being an "old" fan, you may remember the Icon magazine great analysis of Deeper and Deeper and Bedtime Story...

I’ll be honest, and I’ll probably get shit for this, Ray of light was my least favourite era. It just wasn’t my thing. However, as an artist myself and back then just coming into that, I could really appreciate her growth. I saw this new light in her, even more so than the Evita era when she was pregnant. BECOMING a mother was so much more. So yeah, I wasn’t a huge massive fan of the music but her personal growth... that was truly something I admired.