Best Album Cover

Enrico

Best album cover  

294 members voted

1. 1. Which is the best Madonna album cover?

8 hours ago, madaboutM said:

Like A Prayer cover. Hands down: mystical, bold, symbolic and sensual. True Blue is great and iconic but when you realize it is somehow referenced from Olivia Newton John's Physical...well, it becomes less iconic :) Herb Ritts shot both btw.

220px-Physical_album.jpg

I had both albums when I was a teenager. I never made this connection because it just doesn't have the same feel or look to it. 

1 hour ago, Fontainebleau said:

I'm surprised there's hardly any love for the Music album cover.

I want to like it because I love the album but I don't get it. I don't get the cow girl theme or the car in the back or the logo of the cow boy riding the bull...excuse me, the horse. I mean I get that's the theme she seemed to be inspired by but why? The album cover could be amazing and some of us just might not know why. Lol. 

What fascinates me most about this cover is the car. First I thought she was at a drive in then it looks just like a driveway. The car looks like it's from the early sixties. 

I love the blue on her and think she looks amazing but does she look sad? I don't know. 

Even the most iconic album covers in music never really impressed me. My favorites always just show the artists. Maybe if a poem was printed on the album cover to reflect what is going on. Like I said I don't know, albums covers are just wrapping paper to me. I do have opinions and I can get into a discussion about them because I want to be as interested in them as others are. I could be missing out. 

What do you like about the Music album cover? 

It's hard to explain why I like the Music album. The easy answer would be because of the colours and the cowboy hat. But I have a feeling there's a lot more going on. I think the Music album cover is a validation and a parody of the American West. This idea comes from José I. Prieto-Arranz, who wrote The Semiotics of Performance and Success in Madonna. Thinking of the American West, I think of space. And there's lots of space in the songs on the Music album. Just listen to I Deserve It, with the spacious keyboard, combined with the acoustic guitar.

The album cover is shot by Jean-Baptiste Mondino, who also directed the Don't Tell Me video. The whole western theme was his idea to begin with. Listening to songs like I Deserve It, Don't Tell Me and Gone I do get western vibes. I also like how the western theme totally contradicts songs like Impressive Instant and Runaway Lover, but at the same we have this romantic idea of cowboys as being rebels, which comes back in the song Music ("for the rebel"). And if a cowboy is a rebel, then how rebellious is a cowgirl? All these things make it one of my favourite album covers.